Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #21
VomitalXX
Stop Being Pretentious

Location: If you put "right behind you" here, commit suicide for the sake of natural selection.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zamboni
The REASON it would kick ass, is BECAUSE it is theoretically sound. Holy christ, is that such a hard concept?

*shakes head*
Old 07-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #22
Zamboni
is moist.

^ What does that mean.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #23
Zamboni
is moist.

And to Corwinoid, is a Neapolitian 6th not a variation of a Phrygian II with a lowered second degree?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #24
zaccy
UG Member

though i am learning it now because 1 day in a band i may need it. its always good to know extra
Old 07-08-2005, 01:08 AM   #25
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

Quote:
Originally posted by Corwinoid
NeXxus, you wouldn't know that .1% if it kicked you in the nuts while eating out your sister.

Chromatic runs are indeed theoretically sound. *yawn* Indeed... paganini was using his ear when writing chromatic runs for an entire orchestra. Real ****ing bright. And Rachmoninoff wasn't thinking about how each note was acting when he wrote 5 minutes of music based mostly on halfsteps, I'm sure.

You are the epitamy of the little kids who know a few scales and think they understand theory.

Yes... let's take DIMEBAG ****ING DARREL for instance. The man was a great guitarist. Absolutely **** song writer.

Most guitarists have **** clue about sound construction; and it shows in the complete lack of depth in the music they write. LOLZ, y wud u evr want a clarnut in a song? Uhh, wut hpnz if my bass is higher than my gutars?

And I'll bet you're one of those people that bitch about pop music sucking also.

correct i wouldnt know that .1%... i indeed have not ran into music that fell into that .1%... but that DOESNT MEAN I dont worry about it.

Your right i was speculating on what Paganini was doing... but John certainly does not use theory(for those chromatic runs... i have read the interviews where he says its all his ear.)... and the reason most guitarist get confused is because all the theory they learn does not involve these chromatic tones... the just cant comprehend why they can be used in such instances... and in fact i do not either... im able to use them occasionally but... ONLY BECAUSE OF MY EAR!

dimebag was great at guitar... and he wrote music that was indeed great... explain why he was a **** songwriter and maybe ill argue this.

agreed most guitarist dont understand what timbre is... but why the **** are you telling me this? i didnt even mention timbre...

check my posts... i dont bitch about pop music... i bitch about ****ty music...

and why cant u fellows accept that your ear is more important... its like your a scientist if your just putting in the notes that fit...your filling in a variable to an equation...

and formulaic music is for lacklustre musicians...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #26
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally posted by `NeXxuS`
and why cant u fellows accept that your ear is more important...

Because it's not. Sure, it's a blessing to have a great ear for music, but if you know theory, it is completely unnecessary.

! Shocked?! It's true.

For example: In math, I may not insinctively know exactly why tn=a+(n-1)d, as some math whizzes might, but because I know that formula, I can answer any question I want that involves a sequence/series, because I know how to use it.

The same principle applies to music. I happen to have a musical ear. I have since I was very young. But for some people who aren't gifted with that ability, studying theory will allow them to understand how music works, and they will be able to write better than some little **** who picks up a guitar and shreds his brains out in blissful ignorance.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #27
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref

^Uh, the ear is what makes everything work. You don't know if your theory-in-action is working unless you have a good ear.

Your analogy is flawed, methinks.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #28
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

hurrah! i've found my saviour in Redwing.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #29
RockNNotToRoll
Forget Genres

Quote:
its like your a scientist if your just putting in the notes that fit...your filling in a variable to an equation...

and formulaic music is for lacklustre musicians...

Nice point.

I think each part of theory is a new tool at your disposal and obviously the more tools you have in your arsenal the more firepower you have. And so the more possibilities are open to you. Also if you want to improv live then I'd say it's really quite important to know your scales, modes and such like.

However, the most powerful tool at your disposal is deffinitely your ear and that can be better than following a predetermined plan or formula because you're doing something more unpredictable. Your open to more suggestion as it were. And unpredictability often means more originality. Originality is surely something ever songwriter strives for.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #30
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

^ It's actually a horrible point.... I have no idea where Nex got the idea that theory is formulaic, especially when you apply it to your music.

Look, if you just write based on what you think sounds good, then there's no way around the basic truth that your music will lack any real depth, and you'll never produce sounds and qualities in your music that you possibly could if you actually understood what it was you were doing. Period.

It's really that simple, and I don't see how so many people can fail to get this.

There are times when what 'sounds good' is the _wrong_ thing to write, but people don't seem to understand that. They just fiddle with what sounds good, and eventually get lucky.

I've seen so many half truths, guesses, and flat out misunderstandings in this thread that it's absurd.
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Old 07-08-2005, 06:54 PM   #31
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

hold on here... i never said that using theory to write is formulaic...

but if thats ALL you rely on then definetely you are going to be repeating ALOT of old ideas...

AND if your just putting notes in that you KNOW will fit, then your not experimenting with music at all... your making generic music... trying new things, and using your ear to decide whether you like them or not is an important part of music...

Quote:
originally posted by Corwinoid
There are times when what 'sounds good' is the _wrong_ thing to write, but people don't seem to understand that. They just fiddle with what sounds good, and eventually get lucky.

you want to talk about half truths and absurdities? theres one for you... you can never write the wrong thing in music...

Last edited by `NeXxuS` : 07-08-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #32
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
you can never write the wrong thing in music...

Oh please. Don't try to be all holier-than-thou. Of course you can write the wrong things in music. You and your generalizations. "ooh all metal is in E or A minor dudes". Sound familiar?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #33
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

i said just about all metal.. and i didnt say dudes... dont even try to make me sound like that... its pretty obvious from the way you two imitate people on this forum that your extremely immature... even in old age.

find a metal song that isnt in E or A... and wtf? you cant write the wrong thing in music... you two are so narrow-minded about music...

god... progressive... whatever... your more like UG's Conservative one.

Last edited by `NeXxuS` : 07-08-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #34
kabbalites
stepping stone

Zamboni wins the pretentious asshat award.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #35
Zamboni
is moist.

Thanks ****cake. That means alot coming from some little shit hick from North Carolina.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #36
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

OK First off... kabbalites, don't be giving my ****ing asshat away or I'ma kill your dog, ok?

Second, when was I old or conservative? Please...

Old 07-25-2005, 10:46 AM   #37
redsox193

ok ive decided to actually answere the kids question. The easiest way is to *gasp* just use your ear, while something is being played just run up the low e string until u find a spot that sounds right then jsut play.

i learned something from this thread Zamboni is a ****ing angry angry person. Theory is important so is a well trained ear.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #38
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

^ That is absolutely positively 100% THE *WORST* method imaginable. Why?

Because there's more than one note that's going to sound 'good' over any other given set of notes.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #39
VomitalXX
Stop Being Pretentious

Location: If you put "right behind you" here, commit suicide for the sake of natural selection.
"Learn the changes, and then forgot them" as they say.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #40
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

Quote:
Originally posted by Corwinoid
OK First off... kabbalites, don't be giving my ****ing asshat away or I'ma kill your dog, ok?

Second, when was I old or conservative? Please...

if ur talking about what i said.. that was for zamboni... hes the progressive one... and i said he was conservative.

Rate This Thread: