Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #181
Rakmin

embryonic journey - jorma kaukonen

Last edited by Rakmin : 11-20-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Rakmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 AM   #182
Rxcody

here is what I learned from and I can play pretty much any song now"

-Blackbird - The Beatles (Introduces good bass notes and coordination)
-Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin (absolutley beautiful and get you used to quick changes)
-Dust in the Wind - kansas(This will get you used to a travis picking pattern)
-Michelle - The Beatles (Something totally different)
-Under the Bridge -RHCP (Awesome use of barre chords and bass notes)
-Mother Nature's Son - the beatles (This one is ESSENTIAL. It i unknown but i think it is a very beautiful song. Its on the white album and it has an interesting and amazing pattern that you will love)
-Blackwater- The Doobie Brothers(An AMAZING and very hard song to do. It is very hard to find the tabs so it makes it challenging and if you look up the chords and learn the others parts by ear its awesome. Remember its tuned in DADGBD.)

Learn these songs in order and you will be amazing. You just gotta slam right into it. Also with blackbird, learn to sing with it cause it is extremely easy, fun and steals hearts! haha
Rxcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #183
alascar11
www.billlittlemusic.com

dont forget good ones to practice to- "the boxer" s&g great tune (kudos if u can do the intro). I'm doing it this weekend and making a video to post

bron yr aur (not stomp) by led zep (CACGCE tuning) also on my page

I do my own fingerpicking version of "Otherside" by red hot chili peppers- check it out on my youtube (not a plug) its cool

Maybe I'm Amazed by McCartney- it's awesome picked. I havent posted my version but its coming

good luck....more picking less strumming (ANYONE can strum)

Bill

alascar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #184
Adriatic

here are some unknown songs to westerners, from ex-yugoslavian artists

1. Bijelo Dugme - Uspavanka Za Radmilu M. (which can also be found on the internet as Goran Bregovic - Lullaby [as he is the author of it, he was the guitarist in "Bijelo Dugme"]. here's a link where you can check out how it sounds and ask for tabs

2. Djordje Balasevic - Lepa protina kći (literal translation: Beautiful priest's daughter) you can find the tab here http://www.gitare.info/page.php?id=788 and you can hear the song here
this one is fairly simple as its basically just chords picked through, but it has some tricky transitions and a few wierd chord shapes, but its fun to play

3. Goran Bregovic - Talijanska (translation: Italian) see how it sounds and the tab here
Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #185
Prof. Oak

-Searches for first finger picking song to learn-
Hm, classical gas, -listens-
challenge accepted
Prof. Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #186
Colonel Gathers

Try "Your Hand in Mine" by Explosions in the Sky
"Always With Me, Always With You" by Satriani (the acoustic backing track is a really good piece to practice fingerpicking chords with)
I also like to take Stairway to Heaven and just impose picking patterns from other songs (doesn't have to be Stairway but any song with a long chord progression like that is good, especially if it's easy to run through, a la Stairway) and see what/how fast I can do stuff.
Colonel Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #187
jeffguitarpro

anything by bert jansch, neil young and jimmy page were fans of him. Try "angie"
jeffguitarpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #188
jakeblake96

lynrd skynrd
jakeblake96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #189
rstrings
rstring

So many genres-so little time.

To expand your skills, check out James Taylor's tunes. His work is pianistic-a cool groove. Give you lots of good ideas on embellishing your chords-playing style for a more complex sound.
Check www.jamestaylor512.com He takes Carter and Travis picking to new heights.
rstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #190
rolandroi
it is known

Pretty much everything i wanted to add has already been mentioned.
But these:

Leader of the Band - Dan Fogelberg
Here Comes the Sun - Beatles

Classical gas is still my favorite.

and can someone pls send me an accurate tab of Tears in Heaven? PLS PLS PM me, generous bastard!

Last edited by rolandroi : 01-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.
rolandroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #191
MaKaToM
Only started in November.

MaKaToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #192
jonathanika

a lot of the rebelution acoustic songs are fingerpicked and are great for learning, meant to be; feeling alright are to that i love to play. and slightly stoopid has closer to the sun (played with a pick) that i enjoy and find it easier to fingerpick, as well as zeplike.
Then there is blackbird, tears in heaven and classical gas. but im also looking for new fingerpicking songs to learn as well, hopefully more challenging.
jonathanika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #193
LWMT2343

stop this train by john mayer
LWMT2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #194
SimonJames

Breathe- Pearl Jam
Oliver James- Fleet Foxes
Beg Steal Borrow- Ray Lamontagne
SimonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #195
Mr.Pink101
Ribbed for her pleasure

Anything by Newton Faulkner will improve your fingerpicking and probably overall ability
Also, try building up from basics - blackbird by the beatles into more alternate picking like Vincent by Don McLean, build up until you're comfortable playing some really advanced stuff (Rylynn by Andy McKee is about as difficult as it gets)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #196
Sandman3769

I am learning "For Those Below" by Mumford & Sons. It's a nice fingerpicking song.
Sandman3769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #197
onepilot
cedarsongwriter

Nearly anything James Taylor has played or written and there is one hell of alot of material that's all good stuff.
If you want to be a serious finger picker--not a game to take on half ass-study it. While there are many variations--its all about understanding what you are really doing is playing a piano on the neck of a guitar
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #198
SteveJB1989

Angelina by Tommy Emmanuel
SteveJB1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #199
cedartop_oli

First finger picking song I learned was House of the Rising Sun by The Animals, I still remember it, and that damned B7 chord seemed so hard 20 years ago lol.

Truth is, Nothing Else Matters is a good beginner song but the finger picking in it is a little lame. Hunger Strike is also a great song, and a good song to for beginners, especially if you're planning on singing while playing. I think Landslide is probably not a great song to learn finger picking, the arpegios change from intro to verse to chorus and it might be confusing, although, what a great song.
cedartop_oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #200
Bobcot

Read this whole post as this is what I'm teaching myself at the moment, here's a few I've found the be good easy starters which nobody seems to have posted yet

The Body Breaks - Devendra Banhart
Oliver James - Fleet Foxes
Anji - Davy Graham/Bert Jansch/Simon & Garfunkel
Needle And The Damage Done - Neil Young (He doesn't fingerpick but it's a decent beginners exercise)

Also if you want something more challenging I suggest Jump (Van Halen cover) - Kersten Luts, have a listen and if you go to his website you can get a full tab for it

Last edited by Bobcot : 04-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Bobcot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: