minor chord pattern

Em Am Em
------------------0-----0--------
------0-----0----1-----1------0--
-----0-----0----2-----2------0---
----2-----2----2-----2------2----
---2-----2----0-----0------2-----
--0-----0-----------------0------

use downstrokes on all notes. try picking some notes harder than others for some variation.

major chord pattern

A C A D E
------0-------0--------0--------0-------0--------2------
-----2-2-----2-2------1-1------2-2-----2-2------3-----0-
----2---2---2---2----0---0----2---2---2---2----2-----1--
---2-----2-2-----2--2-----2--2-----2-2-----2--0-----2---
--0-------0--------3-------3--------0-------0-----------
---------------------------------------------------0----

Use Downstrokes when going low to high and upstrokes when going from high to low.

once this has been mastered you can apply it to any progression that you use and enjoy the results.

in a future lesson i will cover arpeggios in barre chords and power chords and slurred and suspended arpeggios.

comments to alexmac540@aol.com
alexmac540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
wickidchyld
Makez Me Own Avatarz!w00t

learn to use monospace fonts

retyped right:

minor chord pattern
Em Am Em
------------------0-----0--------
------0-----0----1-----1------0--
-----0-----0----2-----2------0---
----2-----2----2-----2------2----
---2-----2----0-----0------2-----
--0-----0-----------------0------

use downstrokes on all notes. try picking some notes harder than others for some variation.

major chord pattern

A C A D E
------0-------0--------0--------0-------0--------2------
-----2-2-----2-2------1-1------2-2-----2-2------3-----0-
----2---2---2---2----0---0----2---2---2---2----2-----1--
---2-----2-2-----2--2-----2--2-----2-2-----2--0-----2---
--0-------0--------3-------3--------0-------0-----------
---------------------------------------------------0----

Use Downstrokes when going low to high and upstrokes when going from high to low.

once this has been mastered you can apply it to any progression that you use and enjoy the results.

in a future lesson i will cover arpeggios in barre chords and power chords and slurred and suspended arpeggios.

comments to alexmac540@aol.com
wickidchyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
SilentDeftone
UG God

Wow, incredibly short and lacking of any sort of explanation.

-SD

College Dodgeball
SilentDeftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
casualty01
Here all along

uh... no

Cas-

Don't be an idiot... click and find out.
casualty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
Harmonius
Impulsive Dreamer

Way too short, I wouldn't call this a lesson, more like a extremely brief tab for a few chords.

Code:
I?ve read on UG all the time about how people get confused on what a shredder is and what it?s all about ? that?s when I decided to write up a lesson to tell you exactly that. I?ve already dealt with Alternate picking, so I feel no need to write up another lesson on that subject. In this lesson, I will focus on sweep picking, economy picking and tapping as well as legato movement on the fretboard. To start of with, a definition of a shredder refers to an extremely fast player of guitar using complexity on techniques such as sweep picking, legato movement, alternate picking and tapping, just that and nothing else. Sweep Picking Here?s a nice definition of sweep picking that I grabbed on the internet and couldn?t have worded it better: Sweep-picking is a guitar technique that involves playing one note per string, moving the picking hand in a smooth fashion, in a single up- or down-stroke (?Sweeping?), while lifting the fingers of the fret hand to dampen the note. It is a variation to economy picking. (See below for more detail) By achieving this, sweep picking is very useful for performing fast arpeggios. An arpeggio is used to indicate that the notes of a certain chord are to be played quickly one after another (usually from lowest to highest) instead of at the same moment. The technique can be traced back to it?s popular use by such shredders as Yngwie Malmsteen. It may sound very complex, so to help you understand, I?ve included an example for you to try out. Three String Sweep exercises Fig.1 e|-15-12-----15-11-----17-12------------12-15-----11-15------12-17----| B|------13--------13--------13--------13--------13---------13---------| G|--------12--------12--------14----12--------12---------14-----------| D|--------------------------------------------------------------------| A|--------------------------------------------------------------------| E|--------------------------------------------------------------------| Fig. 2 e|---------------------------12---12----------------------------------| B|-----------------13-----13---------13----13-------------------------| G|-------12-----12-----12---------------12----12----12----------------| D|----14-----14----------------------------------14----14-------------| A|-15-----------------------------------------------------15----------| E|--------------------------------------------------------------------| Fig.1 This pattern of sweeps are very common in three string sweep picking. Using your fourth, third, second and first finger, you can execute these without any problem at all. I?ve included the ascending arpeggios as well as the descending ones. The latter figure is a little trickier in my opinion, so start off slowly. Five and Six string Sweep exercises e|------------8h12p8--------------------------------------------------| B|---------10--------10-----------------------------------------------| G|-------9--------------9---------------------------------------------| D|----10------------------10------------------------------------------| A|-12------------------------12---------------------------------------| E|--------------------------------------------------------------------| VVVVVV ^^^^ Here is a minor arpeggio lick to start of with. The notation is pretty simple. You want to, ?Sweep? down the first 5 notes. They are [A C E A C]. It is an A Minor Triad ? The III(3rd) being flattened because it?s a minor scale. When you get to the 5 note, C (8th fret E string), hammer on the 12th fret and pull back off. After, you can, ?sweep? up the last 4 notes. Here are some useful tips, which enable you to execute this A Minor Triad properly: o Use your fourth finger on the starting position (A ? 12th fret A string) o Use your third finger on the second note (C ? 10th fret D string) o Use your first finger on the third note (E ? 9th fret G string) o Use your second finger on the fourth note (10th fret N string) o Use your first finger on the 5th note and the fourth finger to hammer and pull off the 12th fret) The minor triad shape is most commonly used by shredders and it?s a definite start to shredding properly. Let?s look at some more examples and exercises for you to get your head around. e|-------------------12h15p12-----------------------------------------| B|----------------12----------12--------------------------------------| G|-------------12----------------12-----------------------------------| D|----------14---------------------14---------------------------------| A|-------14---------------------------14------------------------------| E|-12h15---------------------------------15p12------------------------| Here above, I?ve tabbed out an E minor 6 string exercise.

I wrote this a long time ago on another forum, it's a pretty breif explanation of a few arpeggios. There's more but I'm lazy to cut copy and past.

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee : 10-27-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Harmonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
alexmac540

Apologies folks, went all funky when i pasted it into the forum and by the time i realised it was to late. this is meant as a basic exercise for beginners, it works very well for both lead and rhythm guitarists. thanx to wickidchyld for re-typing it and to those of you who just bitched about it.....nobody forced you to use it and if you didn't like it, the little arrow pointing backwards is useful. constructive criticism is always appreciated but anything alse is just bollocks frankly
alexmac540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
vanstretch

hey guys you all rock, thanks for the great tips, i love reading my fanmail too, and i also believe everything on tv. Again thanks for all you do my fans, Yngwie Malmsteen Miami,fl.
vanstretch is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: