Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Mixtest Project 2015

Hey guys, I've decided to start a project for myself.
You see, I'm teaching myself to produce, mix, master, engineer, etc. The one thing I find helps me the most is looking back over the stuff I've done before and seeing how far I've come.
The project is this; every month of 2015, I create a short track just to document my progress. I'll try to make it a different style every time, but it kinda depends what I feel inclined to do at the time

So, for January, I did this:
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/mixtest-jan-15

I used EZDrummer 2 with the 'Metal!' EZX with the only effects being the NI Supercharger compressor on the OH, snare, kick, toms and hats, then one on the master bus running parallel to a dry track. The snare also has a bit of reverb.

See if you can guess how the guitars were done. Real amps? Sims? Trained carrier pigeons whistling at just the right frequency? Who knows

I will say that I've EQ'd pretty much everything slightly with the free EasyQ VST.

The guitars are:
Schecter Omen Extreme 7
(coil split bridge for rhythm, full neck humbucker for lead harmonies)
Ernie Ball Cobalt 10-66 strings tuned to Drop Ab

SBMM SUB Ray5
(Volume half, bass and treble full)
Elixir Nanoweb Stainless 45-105 with low .135 (non stainless )

The whole thing took about an hour and a half to record, edit, mix and master, so there's plenty of mistakes in there.

I'm happy to C4C
Thanks for reading this long rambling post

My latest tracks: [Metal] [Alt Rock] [Pop Rock]
Here's my SoundCloud Page
(Mostly rough demos/protos)
And my Bandcamp
(Much the same, but expensive and covered in bees)

Last edited by CorrosionMedia : 01-21-2015 at 09:48 PM.
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
JWBlack

Yea man thanks for the comments on my maroon5 cover,

This sounds really good, tones were nice and fat, bass was kicking. Very good mix

I was listening on a tablet btw.. so good job man

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
JWBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
KingCity

Sound great, that mixing is perfect. Good shout on using Supercharger on the drums, I've had that sitting in a folder from a free download and had no idea what to do with it.
Guitars sound super clean so gonna take a stab at them being recorded through a Rig Kontrol/Guitar Rig?
Also what you use for that bass at 1.18? Sounds awesome.

Check out my track when you can: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1667998
KingCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCity
Sound great, that mixing is perfect. Good shout on using Supercharger on the drums, I've had that sitting in a folder from a free download and had no idea what to do with it.
Guitars sound super clean so gonna take a stab at them being recorded through a Rig Kontrol/Guitar Rig?
Also what you use for that bass at 1.18? Sounds awesome.

Thanks! I've already decided I'm gonna make a full track out of it so I've cut the harmonied leads for now.
With Supercharger, I started off just using the presets for "Punchy Snare" and "Fat Kick" then just started doing it from scratch then parallel compressing the master to stop the "pumping" from being too distracting.
Install it and give it a try. For the features, we were REALLY lucky to get it free

The guitars were recorded through a Line 6 UX1 as DIs. The rhythms then used the Colin Richardson EZMix amps to get that really crunchy but clear sound that I love.
The leads used POD Farm 2 (Soldano with very distant sounding delay and reverb).

The bass was also POD Farm 2:
Dual amp setup - one perfectly clean Ampeg w/ 8x10 and one driven Ampeg with an EQ and Tube Screamer in front. I'm really proud of that tone and NEED to pull it off live, so I'm thinking either a Darkglass B7K or SansAmp BDDI.

Thanks again for the compliments!
I've posted on your thread for your track

And my Bandcamp
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
xFilth
Phrygianist

Sounds great man Snare feels quite loud, maybe tone it down a bit and add compression it (serial or parallel) to bring out some zing in it. Kick is a tad loud, but I think it suits the mix. Overheads are a bit loud (the cymbal sample you used for the main crash is pretty annoying). Guitars are perfect - great idea to split the coils for growl and twang! Bass sounds great too (go for the B7K! No regrets ) - I might even compress the bottom end a bit more to really fill out everything in the low end.

Last edited by xFilth : 02-09-2015 at 10:43 AM.
xFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Thanks!
Yeah, the drum issues are what I'd describe as a "5am problem" where it's just so late I can't be bothered to fix it
In this example, I forgot to do any humanization to any of the drums, but hey, that's what this project's for - learning to get good at this kinda thing.
Since I've already decided that I'll turn this into something bigger, the harmonized lead stuff has already gone and I've fixed the drums.
At the moment, I've decided to go for a SansAmp RBI just for the sake of versatility, but in the future, I may pair it with a B3K so I'll have a large range of sounds between them

And my Bandcamp
Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #7
aaron aardvark

CM,
It is obvious to me those are carrier pigeons........just kidding. Guitars sound pretty good (I think probably amp models, good chance they're Line 6). That constant cymbal crashing on the right gets on my nerves at times. I say work on a complete song, post that, and I'd be happy to comment. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1668048
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: