Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

Mesa Head Problem!

Alright, so I was playing guitar and I was goign to switch guitars. I reach to put the amp into standby mode and I accidentally turned the power off and standby at the same time. I immediatly turned the power back on with the amp in standby postion and plugged in my other guitar. I cut up the volume and my tone has taken a dump.

I have about half the distortion what I should be getting, all my power tubes still light up, I haven't checked the preamp tubes yet, because its too much heat radiating off the otehr tubes to check right now. I tried both guitars, every cable I own, and I tried different channels on my toneworks. My volume and tone are about halfway what they should be. The tubes in my amp are about 2 years old with about 25 hours a week playing time on them.

Because I'm leaving for work in about 5 minutes I won't be able to answer any more questions until about 11:00 eastern US time

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Yngwi3
UG's Tone & Grammar Nazi

hmm strange...turning off shouldn't matter on any valve amp... :-/ hmm... is that all that happened before the tone change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yngwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngwi3
hmm strange...turning off shouldn't matter on any valve amp... :-/ hmm... is that all that happened before the tone change?

Yep, one minute I was playing Lateralus on my Explorer then I switched to my carvin and I made that stupid mistake.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
J Dub

First of all, your tubes are old to begin with, especially considering they get a lot of work (25 hours a week is quite a lot). I'd definitely recommend changing them. Even if they aren't the problem, your tone is going to sound a lot better once you replace them.

It sounds like you may have lost one of your preamp tubes. The preamp is what gives most of the distortion, so it sounds like one of those may have given out.
J Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

The reason I haven't changed tubes yet is because I haven't heard any of the common problems, usually tubes when they go bad do it all of the sudden, not slowly degrading and about a month ago I checked my preamp tubes to see if any were having microharmonic problems and they were all good.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
dark manor

Well it sounds like you were playing it for a while, and the tubes get really hot after a while. So what may have happened is when you turned it off, one or a few of your tubes may have blown. Did you hear any sounds when it happened? Generally you will hear a sound like a crackle or a sizzle sort of thing.
dark manor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

I'll shorten up my story of what went down.

I played for roughly 30 minutes, always on the dirty channel, volume at just under 1/4 on 60watt mode.

I was going to swich guitars and I accidentally cut off the power switch when I was fumbling for the standby switch. I immediatly flip the amp to standby and then cut the amp's power back on. I didn't really take note of any sounds because I accidentally cut off the amp before standby and it kinda flipped me out.

I switch guitars thinking Oh, no big deal, one thing won't hurt it, I cut it on the gain channel...It went from a near Diezel tone to a Marshall Plexi tone. I switch guitars again, same tone. I then check my cables to see if one of them is loose in the back of my Korg Pedal. Nothing changed. I unplugged and replugged my Korg and went back to my preset, and I was getting the same tone.

Then I cut my amp off, got on UG and made this thread. Then I went to DQ...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio

Rate This Thread: