Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #21
Gabuydachk

learn famous songs in your genre and take requests
it's a good way to get the audience involved

'tis life
Gabuydachk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #22
Yahz0r

Whatever you do, shut up between the songs. and go ahead to the next one. We dont want breaks.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #23
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahz0r
Whatever you do, shut up between the songs. and go ahead to the next one. We dont want breaks.

Although sometimes it's a good idea to introduce your band members, give the name of the band and the next song at various points in the show, either between songs or in a break-down. Both good.
SomeEvilDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #24
darmaid_h

i'm the leader of an irish band called entropy. we're starting work on origional stuff soon but for the last few months we've been doing covers. we're an ok band but we're getting great response where ever we go. there are two main reasons for this that i think would help other bands.

1: do all in your power to build a fan base. many of our friends follow us around to gigs,they help to set up sometimes and check the levels but the best thing they do is get people up. they start moshing and soon other people start too. by the time the night is over everyone has had a great time and goes away thinking ye're brilliant.

2: have a good time. i know that this has probably been posted amillion times but it works. don't worry if you hit a bum note or forget some words. the reason people go to see bands is to haer music and have a good time. if you have a good time then they will too.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #25
Rodders
likes folk now

Quote:

But if you talk to the crowd, then it builds a bond between the band and the audience. It creates a connection between the two. There's nothing wrong with a bit of stage banter, introducing a song, or even telling a short story.....interaction is good. Bands that just shut up and play are generally boring.

My Band: Sailor Matey

My Facebook

Sailor Matey on UG

Biffy Clyro fan club member #3

PM onlyonehere to join
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #26
acidity

i would personally play your most well know, upbeat song at the end of the encore. all the bands ive seen have :S
acidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #27
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidity
i would personally play your most well know, upbeat song at the end of the encore. all the bands ive seen have :S

Depends on whether or not you get an encore. From my view, the best thing is to start with your strongest song, which generally reels the audience in, and finish with your best song that the audience leave with a good impression fresh in their minds.
Then if you get an encore, it's up to you really, but something that's one of your reasonably stronger songs is good, but it's often good if that song is also a slow-ish one, so it calms people down before they leave.
It's all preference though; no set guidlines will work for every band in every situation. Unfortunately.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:09 AM   #28
rockminister

wow
Old 04-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #29
taxman27
UG's Quadrophenic

Location: Fixing a hole where the rain gets in, to stop my mind from wandering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders
But if you talk to the crowd, then it builds a bond between the band and the audience. It creates a connection between the two. There's nothing wrong with a bit of stage banter, introducing a song, or even telling a short story.....interaction is good. Bands that just shut up and play are generally boring.

Exactly, although there are times when you should talk and times you shut up. Like, for example, you shouldn't tell a big story about a song wrote if it's a 2 minute fast punk song. On the other hand though, stories can help, especially for slower songs, because with slower songs, you're trying to get an intimacy between you and the audience, and telling a story can really help that. Some other good tips, always introduce the band at the beginning, so your audience knows who you are before you start playing. Second, if you have a myspace or website, DO NOT forget to tell people about it. It helps make sure that the fans you get at the gig can keep track of your progress and attend future gigs and all that good stuff.
or be an outcast

The Who- "Cut My Hair" from the album Quadrophenia
taxman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #30
Yahz0r

Quote:
Then if you get an encore, it's up to you really, but something that's one of your reasonably stronger songs is good, but it's often good if that song is also a slow-ish one, so it calms people down before they leave.

I really disagree. Well, what if there are other bands playing after you? I could think it would be great to play a fast and hard song as your last so that the next band looks boring and get them thinking that you were even better than you thought. Maybe :P
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #31
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Quote:
I really disagree. Well, what if there are other bands playing after you? I could think it would be great to play a fast and hard song as your last so that the next band looks boring and get them thinking that you were even better than you thought. Maybe :P

See this is the problem, in that there's no set formula for a gig, and what works best where varies. So there's no set in stone rules.

What you're saying does make a lot of sense, and it's not a half-bad idea to be honest. But if you're the last band on that night, or it's just your gig, then a slow-ish song that you can play really well is probably a good idea.
That said, something catchy may be an idea too, so people leave still singing your songs.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #32
Yahz0r

Yeah, ofcourse it depends on the situation. How many bands playing etc. You're right.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #33
rocker138
SexTypeThing~Lizard King

wow this is a great thread!!!
This was a f***ing bomb dropping on Beaver Cleaverville. For a few seconds, this place was Armageddon!
There was a firefight!
rocker138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #34
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonplank
ye're based in galway, right? never heard you play, but i want to. whens your next gig?

anyway, im just curious what ye all think of this. im in a band with probably a really class drummer, a good enough bassist, me (im an pretty good mostly rhythm guitarist) and one alrightish lead guitarist (buzz). we recently got a really great lead guitarist (mike) though, who really broadens the scope of music that we can play, and are thinking of kicking buzz out because, well, hes a twat.

anywho, originally the plan was to play easy covers at first, like for whom the bell tolls and raining blood, but now with mike, i think we could pull off the call of ktulu and angel of death (you might guess were a metal band), but im just wondering should we? like, as our first songs, i think were setting ourselves up for a huge fall. its not like the songs are impossible, though, because the mike can play the ktulu solo and i can play all the rhythm, and he can improv solo well enough to pass them off as slayer solos, and, well, angel of deaths rhythm guitar is easy.

im just wondering, do you think we should take the easy way out, or actually go for originality and quality in covers?

If this second guy is better and you get along fine, then play with him. And it's always better to go for originality and quality with your covers then just taking the easy way out.
Besides, when you write your own stuff, a more competent musician will ultimately make it better and help the song to flow more nicely.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #35
ParadoxVocal
I read real music...

A few of the things I've found good in any style...

Start with a good moshing song... or a crowd interaction song... one that they can sing along to if your playing covers or are well known.... or just something they can mosh to.

You don't have to play and Encore I prefer not to play an Encore unless they're tearing up the stage in anger... i prefer to leave them wanting more. So they come back next time...

Leave them hanging Play shorter sets rather then longer... also between songs... Always have some sort of noise... or complete silence and no movement... so have the beginning of a song over and over again while you talk or just while the singer get's a drink.

Overdo every show - Make your audience feel like it's a professional Arena show as much as possible even if not.

Once again... these are all up to you
ParadoxVocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #36
downcast_lg
walk with me in hell

A few tips in addition to the ones above (possibly repeating some, sorry i tried to read em all)

1. Opening with a cover works well, regardless of genre. Especially if your band is not that well known, playing 'Unholy Confessions' or a blink-182 song (If that's what your into ) gets the crowd's attention and makes them watch what you're playing.

2. Get some energy built up toward the middle of the set. As has been said before, it's like sex. Or if you don't understand that analogy it's like a story. There's the attention grabber, rising action, the climax, and the falloff. Get that climax to last for a bit . I'm in a heavy band so I'll use the example - start playing something catchy, and build into a wild pit for about 3-4 songs and then let it falloff and hopefully get an encore. Don't let them get tired of you, make 'em crazy and let them down.

3. Interact. Jump into the pit during the breakdown if you're the singer, that always get's them going. Stand on the edge of the stage and rock out. Make them part of the show. They want to rock out too, that's why they're there. If they won't get into it tell them to get the **** up!

4. Be relaxed, be natural. This means you have to be comfortable playing your songs and comfortable playing in front of people. You can't be tense and rock out and have people enjoy your show. Have a couple shots before the show to loosen you up if you need to, but don't play trashed. Be on top of your music and your show and people WILL notice.

Hope that helps someone, justsome tips from my limited experience.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
downcast_lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #37
ace man

This is a really awesome, useful thread and a must read for anyone playing in a rock roll band. Personally, my band (the meteors, of which i play rhythm guitar or drums if the drummer doesn't turn up) kicks off with the stones 'rip this joint' and goes through a selection of stones, KISS, AC/DC, aerosmith and cold chisel songs, before wrapping up with 'let me go rock n' roll' (alive version). if we're asked for an encore we usualyl throw walk this way in or high voltage. We usually try to blitzkrieg the audience with sound - open with a lightning fast bombardment + airstrikes, then bring the heavy armour through and follow up with the infantry, and rolling on to victory in a halcion of rock n' roll

Anti-thayer

Last edited by ace man : 07-16-2006 at 04:33 AM.
ace man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #38
MisinformingYou
WHOA BEEFY

This is a ridiculously useful thread.....
MisinformingYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:14 AM   #39
Y.D.P.B.C

Quote:

I don't think there is a particular formula with regards to this. Muse are one of the best live bands on the face of the earth, and Matt Bellamy never says more than a few words all night.

But sometimes, if the band are playing a long set, and break off with a wee chat in the middle, it can be brilliant. Dave Grohl did it when i saw the Foos at the SECC, and even with 9,999 other people in the room at the time, it really feels quite intimate and all the more special because of it.

If you've got buckets of charisma, it would be a waste not to blether between songs. But, if you're a bit awkward, then yeah, as the great Frank Zappa once said:

"Shut up, and play yer guitar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.
Y.D.P.B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #40
TheUnholy
Unholier than thou...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonplank
ye're based in galway, right? never heard you play, but i want to. whens your next gig?

anywho, originally the plan was to play easy covers at first, like for whom the bell tolls and raining blood, but now with mike, i think we could pull off the call of ktulu and angel of death

Being the musician's musician is always good, but you have to remember how many more people will want you to play FWTBT than Ktulu, unless you're playing to a crowd entirely composed of thrashers.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
TheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: