Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #41
Skuzzmo

Evening all.......

Well, me and my fellow band dudes formed a cover band to do songs that we enjoyed playing and so we've got songs like dead skin mask (slayer) and MAdhouse (Anthrax) in our set and to be honest we thought we were going to go down like a lead balloon when we played them live.....but exactly the opposite. When we played them we had our own little pit on front of the stage....Whoot! We were so happy. Anyway after the gig people were coming up to us saying that thay had never heard a local band play stuff like that and it was really good to hear.

We did some research into the pub bands that were playing the area ( research? Get pissed I mean) and it's true they all play roughly the same type of song ie Layla, Whole lot of love, whole lot of rosie, whiskey in the jar etc, etc. Cracking songs but everybbody seems to have heard them a thousand times already.....

What I'm trying to say, as a piece of advice, is try something different and don't play what everyone else is playing...it seems to get a big response....

JUst you watch we'll get bottled off stage at the next gig...lololololollolololol

Last edited by Skuzzmo : 08-09-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Skuzzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #42
Slash3068

Okay, well I've read alot in this board, and alot of people are saying what genre to play and what order, but can any one recommend songs for that genre in the order you say for a new band. We just got together as a band and every one has been playing for about 2 years except for our one of our guitarests, he's only been playing for about 1 year, but everyone is pretty advanced for their ammount of time playing their instruments, any songs you can recommend?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:56 PM   #43
socialtool
Bored with Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash3068
Okay, well I've read alot in this board, and alot of people are saying what genre to play and what order, but can any one recommend songs for that genre in the order you say for a new band. We just got together as a band and every one has been playing for about 2 years except for our one of our guitarests, he's only been playing for about 1 year, but everyone is pretty advanced for their ammount of time playing their instruments, any songs you can recommend?

I suggest you take that to another thread, that's not for this thread, this thread is specifically for the order!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #44
Captain Planet

Our band generally play at weddings and private gigs, and here is the order of performance we think works best:

1st song: we do usually one or two slow ones (usually noone is in the mood for fast dancing to begin with) like Wonderful Tonight and some Paul Weller.

We then take things up a bit with some Beatles and Kinks and others.
Then we do a bit of modern rocky stuff like Kaiser Chiefs and Darkness, then end the first set on something that everyone knows, last time we did All These Things I've Done by The Killers, everyone sings along to the "I've Got Soul but I'm not a soldier" bit.

Then we start the second set fairly quickly, although we'll usually do a slower one to start because everyone is full from the buffet and not wanting to dance straight away!! Sometimes we'll do something like Yellow by Coldplay. We then do pretty much all dancey well known stuff for the rest, and do really well known stuff for an encore, like Amarillo and Walking on Sunshine. People are so boozed up by the end of the night, they just want something they can dance and chant along to.

People at gigs they haven't paid to get into (or are not expecting to see a band at) prefer familiarity, so we tend to go for well known songs. It's a little annoying that we don't get to play our own material as much as we'd like, but when we do the odd public gig, we get to do more experimental stuff or things people may not have heard.

Last edited by Captain Planet : 09-07-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Captain Planet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #45
TheSeventhOne
Uroboros

The advice given in this thread is brilliant. Everyone should follow these rules. Although I don't think an encore necessarily needs to be a ballad. Look at Run To The Hills!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #46
KileManA7X
Banned

Yeah, I'd change that. NEVER play a slow song at the end of the show. You want people to run out screaming, not all soft and slow. I've learned that over the years.
KileManA7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #47
greendayguitar
UG's Proud Leafs Fan

Well, the whole encore depends on your set, your mood, and the mood of the atmosphere and the crowd around you. Also, if you get an encore, why can't you just start it with a slow song, and just merge it into a fast paced one? Therefore, it goes both ways/

By the way, this thread is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
greendayguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #48
siddyjain
Mr Coffee

Is it a good idea to start with an instrumental original?
It's a really catchy one and not too slow either...

Will take some time to make a new one.
siddyjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #49
METSOAD
Bass Man

yeah why not

Is it advisable to start a set with a not so common song but has impact or a well known instrumental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
METSOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #50
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

You kind of just answered your own question there.

But yes, it should be fine.

Help a good cause.

Heroes never die: they just reload.
SomeEvilDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #51
Mark Condeza

for the first set, it would also be nice if you would make your audiences experience culture shock when they'll hear your first song...
Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #52
METSOAD
Bass Man

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
METSOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #53
LoungeAct
UG Newbie

wow some evil dudes lesson completely destoryed the thread starters lesson
LoungeAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #54
Helloween_rox
UG Fanatic

Even though I haven't played any gigs yet, I'd start on a slow song, go more upbeat within the next 2 or 3, slow it down for another song or 2, and then end on the last 2 with a high energy, heavy, heart-pounding song and the finale/encore do a slowed down song again, such as "Patience" by GNR, or "Good Riddance" by Greenday.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #55
darthbuttchin
Bitter Band Member

I personally think that facial expressions are rather important when playing. coz if you look bored, people are gonna think ur an arrogant person

darth = the cheese of wisdom

I teach guitar. If you live in the Chelmsford area and need a teacher : www.liveguitartuition.co.uk
darthbuttchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #56
kevinw

to be honest, no one plays encores anymore, and from my experience and watching lots of bands, dont play an encore, you'll end up turning off the crowd
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #57
Americanhoser
Registered Droog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw
to be honest, no one plays encores anymore, and from my experience and watching lots of bands, dont play an encore, you'll end up turning off the crowd

What are you talking about? Encores have become standard... If the headlining band doesn't play you an encore...It's assumed you were a shitty crowd.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Americanhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #58
gopherthegreat

encores shouldnt be ballads in my opinion

Jack my swag

gopherthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:39 AM   #59
TMAW
Genuine Hendrix lookalike

if you are a metal band you should start with a song with a clean intro, something like Sandman would be good to start with, but i agree it has to be short and after the clean intro it has to go mad

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
TMAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #60
krymson
UG Addict

What do you do if you get an encore but have no more original songs to play? Like nothing, including covers.
krymson is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: