Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #21
JaYB06
Luv my guitar...

IMO opinion I think it would be best to try and learn the floating hand. If you can pick using a floating hand, you can easily pick with your hand anchored. It's a lot of hard work, but it would be better in the end since you woulden't be limited by anchoring. Also from what I have read, Paul Gilbert doesn't rest his picking hand (even though it looks like it), he floats it.

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Old 12-23-2005, 11:00 PM   #22
viciodk
Rock 'n' Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppephOSOne
It's just like when I first learned to play 5th string A formation barre chords.

[...]

Just barre the 3 strings with the end section of your ring finger.

[...]

With the ring finger barring all 3, sometimes I do deaden the 1st string, so I still need practice.

I barre with my ring finger as well, but half of the times I finger that type of chords, there is no sound from the first string.

Recently I have tried to barre with my pinkie instead.

After I read some lesson by John Petrucci where he fingers a Gmaj7sus2 chord, I have discovered at a lot of concerts that the guitarist barre with his pinkie. Sometimes also when he's playing powerchords!

It was pretty awkward in the beginning, but I'm sure it'll sound a lot cleaner when I finally can manage it.

Also, check out this Gmaj7sus2 chord. It's pretty cool, but hard to finger.

e|---3--- 1 = G
B|---7--- 7 = F#
G|---7--- 5 = D
D|---7--- 2 = A
A|---5--- 5 = D
E|---3--- 1 = G
Old 12-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #23
edg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
I'd like to add that people have been playing guitar since....well, whenever you start counting a certain instrument as a guitar as distinct from something else. Anyway. In all that time, very few people have disagreed with the principle of looseness. And i've never heard of anyone ADVOCATING anchoring. Everyone i know, have heard of, have seen, kick anchoring (i am currently, loving it!), has said it has been one of the hugest leaps in their picking. Check out edg's dmusic. Playing decades, stops anchoring, immediately jumps on the "ANCHORING IS THE GREATEST EVIL IN THE WESTERN WORLD" bandwagon and drinks a pint with me.

Jamie, at Guitar Principles put it pretty well: Your fingers have no consience.
The don't know right from wrong. Good from bad. But, your brain does. It's
up to your brain to teach them. And, they'd rather be good!

It's amazing how quickly you can lose a bad habit if you try. There's some things
I used to do, that I couldn't imagine doing now. Particularly with picking.

Got some extra time this week, so I'll probably be putting up some more recordings.
Right now I'm mixing Stones' She's So Cold. But, I think I need to lay down another
track first....
Old 12-24-2005, 02:20 PM   #24
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ lol, i was wondering if you'd notice that post!

Welcome to the shred forum, feel free to stay and enjoy the informal, friendly, guitar-loving atmosphere.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #25
DeathDealer
UG's citizen Kane

which brings me back to the guy playing guitar with his feet...

unless you're going to play classical guitar or be finger picking I don't see any reason for you not to anchore.

outadated
In Soviet Russia, guitar plays YOU‼

free mp3s & manga
http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=26401
Old 12-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #26
Ablazean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDealer
which brings me back to the guy playing guitar with his feet...

unless you're going to play classical guitar or be finger picking I don't see any reason for you not to anchore.

outadated

Try it for a while, I bet you will find it really does work.

Not outdated.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #27
kirbyrocknroll
UG's Cannons King

I play with my forearm rested on the edge of my guitar. It helps me pick faster but I bet if i dont anchor in any way, I'll go even faster. So I guess no anchor=faster and more fluid.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #28
Freepower

^ you bloody moron, you dont give up do you? One can explain how a hammeron and pull off are completely different, but you still cant understand. One can explain how much better it feels not to anchor for everyone who's stopped, how no-one advocates anchoring yet EVERYONE who's stopped it advocates stopping it, and how it actually reduces tension, and yet...

If you dont SEE any reason not to anchor, listen to shawn lane. If you dont FEEL any need to stop anchoring, find out just how much energy you waste by pressing your arm against the body, or how inflexible it is to anchor with your pinky.

Guitar technique doesnt date. Simple. Why not? It works to be economical and loose, and technical points help you with that.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #29
Bkkkk
Steve Vai Rocks!!

Hmm im confused I dont really know if im playing anchored or not. If I keep my hand COMPLETELY off the guitar then I cant reach the strings with the pick unless I go, classical style which is not what Shawn lane is doing in that video. I do use my elbow to move from string to string and wrist to pick.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #30
Freepower

Its because your using translatory or rotatory motion (side to side wrist or swivel). What shawn is doing is kind of "grabbing" the notes with a "door knocking" motion, using his thumb to angle the pick so that it catches the notes well.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #31
Ablazean

so are you supposed to completely lift your arm off the guitar or can you put your elbow on the edge?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:58 PM   #32
Freepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablazean
so are you supposed to completely lift your arm off the guitar or can you put your elbow on the edge?

How much tension does it generate? I find its generally okay as long as you arent trying anything difficult, it does get tiring holding your arm up all the time, but picking only "gels" for me and only feels fluid and fast with my elbow off too. I'll double check.

On my guitar body shape, i wouldnt rest my elbow unless my arm was tired and i was in a weird position, its definately going to **** up your picking a little no matter how you anchor your elbow. Elbow looseness is just as important as wrist looseness. And no matter how loose it is, its useless fixed to a single point on your guitar!
Old 12-25-2005, 03:53 AM   #33
DeathDealer
UG's citizen Kane

I play about 75/25 anchored/unanchored ...I never notice the difference whenever I do it

adaptation
you just sound like old farts talkin about how everything used to be better back in the day
I knew you were gonna bring the hammer-on thing out sooner or later haha,still cought up on that??

my god,get over yourself dude...you never heard anybody advocating anchoring?? well I have,and I advocate using whatever comes natural to one-self. what next,your gonna tell me that people who hold the pick in a place other than inbetween their index and thumb are in the wrong?? OMG they must be creating so much tension!! they must get daily cramps...pffft
In Soviet Russia, guitar plays YOU‼

free mp3s & manga
http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=26401
Old 12-25-2005, 06:01 AM   #34
Freepower

^ whatever comes natural? So we should always rest our guitar on our right knee, play with our thumb over the neck, not use our pinky and use only downstrokes?

Id recommend holding the pick bewteen index and thumb, sure, but if someone really does prefer something else then why not? Using the middle finger, for example, gives different options with harmonics.

And how could i not bring up the hammerons? Its another resounding reason why people should very calmly generally ignore your advice on the finer (or even broader) points of technique.

I honestly bet you can't find anyone who plays anchored say "I used to play unanchored, but now i anchor. Anchoring is the best thing that happened to my technique.". Or perhaps even "Anchoring is a good idea." - i've heard one person say that anchoring makes you less sloppy - though it probably would if you had a wild picking technique and you needed something to decrease the range of your motion.

What do you mean by 75/25 anchored/unanchored? Percentage time?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #35
edg

In my opinion doing what's "natural and comfortable" all the time is a direct path
to guitar mediocrity. If you never take on anything hard and uncomfortable, you make no progress. However, if the type of music you play isn't all that demanding its
ok. You can still be a great musician and farily mediocre guitarist.

I think it's ok to rest your elbow on the guitar to support your arm. If you don't
do that and have the entire arm unsuppoprted, then make sure you're not
raising your pick arm shoulder to keep it up. You'll be able to tell if you play for
a little while and your shoulder starts getting sore.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:51 PM   #36
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend

A question about floating: I anchor the karate-chop (for lack of a better name) edge of my picking hand on the bridge only to help with muting. How can you mute unwanted string noise with this floating the hand method?

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #37
Freepower

^ be really, really good at it.

Or, alternatively, when i benson pick (which is badly, atm, but its coming together, it "clicked" today, and lets just say, the results weren't discouraging!), my thumb brushes VERY LIGHTLY against the strings. That and good left hand technique helps. Its a matter of knowing when to completely float as well. PG in the latest issue of guitar techniques, when string skipping, he floats, and then the second he doesnt need it any more, straight back to his normal position.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #38
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend

Oh, ok. So it's not "100% floating and if you don't you're going straight to hell", it's for use in combination with a good left hand technique and the occasional anchoring.

That makes much more sense; thank you

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #39
Freepower

^ nothings a 100% ANYTHING. 9/10 times you'll hear "THUMB BEHIND THE NECK, BITCH", and not "THUMB BEHIND THE NECK EXCEPT FOR BENDS, BITCH!". People like to miss the odd case. Still, when not "floating", one should remain "unanchored".
Old 12-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #40
edg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballofDoom
A question about floating: I anchor the karate-chop (for lack of a better name) edge of my picking hand on the bridge only to help with muting. How can you mute unwanted string noise with this floating the hand method?

I think it's really important to understand "floating hand". It doesn't mean you
won't be muting the strings by resting your hand on them. It just means
LEARN first without touching. That means a lot of practice beforehand without
touching at all. Once you're comfortable with that control your picking motion
should now be working right and you can then go on to work on muting and
wrist etc....

Rate This Thread: