Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
bahburah

Uncritical Band Members.

Hey, I wanted to see if this is a problem anyone els goes through when working with other musicians in a band.

This is the first legit band I've been in and I've found its not the best creative environment because you haft to dance around peoples emotions.

I think its really immature and destructive to bring your emotions into the song writhing process. Your suppose to be working for something above you, and thats to create a good song not something your emotionally 'satisfied' with.

It's hard because to me it seems like they are just taking ideas off the top of there head and keep adding more and more. When I on the other hand like to play with my ideas in my head and see if it really fix's and will only add when Im sure I've got something. I've also noticed they like to add more bars or something when adding parts when I will play around with and try to make better pre existing parts. But I think thats kinda a personality thing.

I feel like there ideas arnt so deep. But I guess its ideas none the less. I just wish they would review them a bit more.

I wonder if anyone els has worked with people like this and what ended up of it?

There are also harsh creative differences so I would rather be in another band.

Thanks

Hope I offended some people.

Last edited by bahburah : 06-28-2013 at 05:36 PM.
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
sysD

so join another band?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
bahburah

If only it where that easy.
Theres defiantly more people into rock than midwest emo.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Mr.Pink101
Ribbed for her pleasure

Wrong forum. This'll be deleted, go post in band banter/musician talk
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
bahburah

Thanks Im just new to the forum.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
sysD

i think your real problem is that you're playing midwest emo.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
intothe

To be fair, if you play in an emo band you should expect your band mates to be emotional man.
It sounds to me like your writing process is a bit unfocused if anything, this is probably connected to the fact that you say there are harsh creative differences, it's hard to make music with people who don't have a similar vision as yourself, and by that I don't mean that you should all want it to sound the same, but it could also be that you all want it to sound different in a similar way, if that makes any sense.
So, if I were you I'd have a serious talk about the direction and vision they have vs yours, and if it's not compatible I'd leave for another band.
intothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
kozmo4200
UG Newbie

"I think its really immature and destructive to bring your emotions into the song writhing process. Your suppose to be working for something above you, and thats to create a good song not something your emotionally 'satisfied' with."

Most songs are written with emotion.
kozmo4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

> Plays Emo music
> Expects no emotion in the song writing process.

If you want to rule out the emotion in your music writing process I suggest you try a different genre.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Malchius

If you take emotion out of the song it become a limp, frail nothing.

Case in point. Here, robots play 'Becoming' by Pantera.
show

Listen to how stilted that is.

Here is Pantera

show

Can you hear the aggressive tone the song has both musically and vocally, something the robots cannot convey. That song only works because of that emotion being shown. If you want to sound like a robot who has been programmed to play music go ahead, people just won't connect to it.

Plus you want to play Emo? I'll let you figure that one out.

Last edited by Malchius : 06-28-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Malchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
sysD

i think ts is a sociopath. or a borg
Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #12
bahburah

What I mean by keeping your emotions out of the writhing process is not taking things so personally if an idea isn't really working.

Emotion is the inspiration. Pretty clear difference...

Its just unprofessional. Im trying to wright songs not baby sit and make sure every things fair.

Sociopath sounds about right.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
kozmo4200
UG Newbie

probably a borg.
kozmo4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #14
unicornicopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahburah
What I mean by keeping your emotions out of the writhing process is not taking things so personally if an idea isn't really working.

it might be the way you're phrasing things

but it's probably the fact that you're playing emo music in all honesty
unicornicopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
bahburah

The thing is I don't play in an emo band. I only want too.
Im playing in a rock band and it feels so ****ing lame.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

*Moved to MT*
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

The way I see it, if you want to make a certain type of music, get on Guitar Pro, or Sibelius or what have you, and write the song, every part, every phrase, every section until you've got a fully produced song on your hands. Then, if you're a decent songwriter, people will agree with your vision and be happy to play what's written, if you're not a decent songwriter, then I suppose you'll have to make do and/or find someone who is if these songs are unsatisfactory, and generally, practice room songs can be unsatisfactory, too many cooks and all that. Generally, if there's someone in the band who isn't creative, they don't have a hand in creating the songs, and, as mentioned, if the songs are good, they'll play them, so focus on writing good songs, if you have a vision, bring it to life.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
HotspurJr

Creative collaboration is hard.

You need to learn to accept that people work in different ways, and it will almost always be hard on people to hear "no, I don't like that idea." Expecting that everyone will take tat with good humor all the time is unreasonable - it takes a tremendous amount of creative trust to get there.

I mean, how do you feel when you share an idea, one you really like, and they don't like it? They HATE it, and don't want to play it.

Being in a band will always be about compromise for the greater good. If what you want is to play your songs, exactly how you want them played, with no input from anybody else and no compromise, then you don't want a band. You're a solo act looking for backing musicians.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
bahburah

I used to want people to play parts in the way I heard them.
But I've grown from that and do like the magic when everyone is making there own part.
But I've also learned that the sounds sound less tight. It's a good way to start making a song but you need a bandleader to morph it into something.
I do like it when people share there ideas, I just wish they would think about them a bit more and come to the table with deeper ideas instead of just adding every idea that comes to mind.
While this might be "fair" I really feel like its holding back the songs potential.

I used to go though are songs and clean them up at parts but now I don't really care.
I think I need to make music with more straight up people.

Rate This Thread: