Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
SilentDeftone
UG God

Gather 'round kiddies, it's STORYTIME!

Yep, you guessed it. This thread is exclusively for telling stories about gigs, band experiences, etc. This is the ONLY thread for doing so, so don't try posting your own thread with a story in it!

Don't spam it up too much , no uncalled-for flaming, you know the drill. Enjoy this thread

-SD

College Dodgeball
SilentDeftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
pentagram_man63
Spammed

Location: London, England, the World, Solar System, Milky Way, Space...
Cool idea, I'll start (unless someone posts 1st).

My First Gig

Well it was one or two summers ago we had our first gig. We were playing two songs, both our own. We got there only an hour before hand and had very little time (there wer LOADS of others) to set our stuff up, so I kinda had to do most of it on stage. I had my electro-classical (no strap locks) so I sat on a chair while both bassists (yes, for some reason there were two) stood alongside and the drummer at the back. First song went okISH but we sped up like 100BPM, none of us were counting! I was extremely nervous and kept shaking my head at how bad we were playing onstage. The song went very average, and we got a moderate ammount of applause. Next song, more energetic this one. I started playing the guitar-only intro but the stopped halfway through because I thought something was wrong, much to the cursing and sweaing of our drummer. I then realised nothing was wrong and that (I was playing hrough a half stack) the quality was simply not as good as on my little amp. So I started again, spead up a ****load as usual and it actually went OK. Strangely, we got a roaring ammount of applause, more then any other person I think. Maybe it was because we were playing our own stuff and they liked it?

Either way, it was quite a disaster: the moral is to either use your own gear, or spend more itme setting the **** up.

anyone else?
pentagram_man63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 AM   #3
Dutch_Apples
UG's Career Advisor

First Gig:

I grew up in a small town in which there were about 12 musicians from the age range of 8-68. I put my first band together with 2 friends at the age of 16 after playing guitar for a year. We didn't have a singer because we couldn't find one. A guy we auditioned who we knew from high school told us he didn't want to be in the band but we could play at his house party. There were a total of maybe 15 people there. This was during the nu-metal era of Disturbed & Limpbizkit and we were playing 80s style jam songs. We also had to use mics through guitar amps since we had no P.A. It was horrible. We played with another band though who was worse than us. We got through the songs, but there were girls asking the guy to tell us to stop. Stupid bitch.

Anyways, the band broke up the next day because of lack of interest. I didn't get into another "offical" band until 5 years later.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
cactus
Gitarista

First Gig:

Once upon a time me and my friends formed a band becuase we loved music. Well I was originally a guitarist but my friend was better so I volunteered to be a bassist because we needed one and there were only like 2 that we knew of that were good enough then we got another guitarist, anyway, we were four, then a guy wanted to be our vox, he sucked so we kicked him out. The next guy that became our vox was good enough. We we're known as the "other band" in my batch, the people who tried hard but never really made it, anyway when the school anounced an end of the year party we volunteered right away. What happened was that no one could bring a drumset, no drumset; no band, and there were 4 other bands playing, so we brought the drumset, which we didnt even own, we just borrowed. well we managed to bring it in one car, plus 5 of us riding in it so it was a tight squeeze btw we used a 5 seater SUV. that night we played 2 covers, easy covers but we were so nervous that we messed up the first one, we did the second one almost perfectly, no one clapped, kinda sucked but still it was fun, it turned out to be one of the few gigs we would ever have; we disbanded a few months later cause of frustration, but did one last gig together last november, I think we had the best performance that day when we reunited. Oh yeah me and the drummer formed a new band, I'm now lead guitar. One guitarist formed his own band and the other 2 (vox and guitarist) are not in any bands.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:20 AM   #5
cactus
Gitarista

uhm to the guy that posted at the top, could you tell me why you had 2 bassists?
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
quinny1089

well tonight i just got back from an awesome gig, it was a college christmas party at a big labour club and the crowd were ****ing ace, they were well into it, which in turn got us more involved which caused me to go sick and start jumpin around the stage (not in a busted way) and my glasses flew off, and at the end when i found them i had a lense missing and they were all bent, but was all good,

our setlist was:

Apart from me - original
Ace of spades
Next time - original
sweet child of mine
your time has come
i believe in a thing called love

we had 11 songs lined up to play but our set got cut short and we only managed to play these songs.
My band doesnt usually play songs like sweet child of mine and i belienve in a thing called love, but we thought it would go down really well and even tough we didnt like playing them it was more about their christmas party.

i got pretty hammered as well before i got on stage which made it all the better and
at he end the other band that played came onstage and did the band aid song do they know its christmas time at all, and we all stayed on stage a danced and sang along

overall its one of the funnest nights of my life, even though i cant see very well...
quinny1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
TTC

our first gig really sucked , well here the story :

Our first gig was on my Ex her birthday party , we had a pretty simple setlist ( I wasn't nervous at all, just look at it :p

Smells Like teen spirit - Nirvana
In Bloom - Nirvana
Californication - RHCP
The Offspring - The kids aren't allright
Zornik - Goodbye

( I hated the setlist, I felt like a freaking poser, ohwell)

Me and the bassist played the songs flawless, but the real problem were the vocals , our singer/2nd guitarist really sucked tbh , he was mumbling and was playing really crappy ( after the first song I crancked the volume of my amp to make his mistakes less noticable)

ohwell , I quitted the band and started a new one with our bassist.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:51 AM   #8
tongue untied
UGs redneck[I][I][/I][/I]

first gig

hmmm........

well, taht band had bin playing for a year, w/o any vocals. we had 6 or seven original songs, with lyrics.

but, no vocals. so we got a friend of mine interested, with the gig being 6 weeks away. he decided to play rhythm guitar as well.

but, he didnt like any of our songs.

so with 6 weeks till the gig, we wrote 3 songs and played for whom the bell tolls

now, the night of the gig. our drummer was nervous as hell, but we wouldnt let him drink. i was kool, but the rythm guitarist was trippin liek hell. he kept walkin of alone with his guitar to practice. my bassist was off drinkin from teh keg- which was no problem.

so we got onstage- and started for whom the bell tolls. we did the song decent, i ****ed up the solo, but it was decent. and when we finished it- there was no sound. the crowd looked bored.

so- we start up a slower song, being the middle of the set. the crownd*30-40 numetal kids* just sat around jerkin off.

so, now the acoustic song. heres the point where i grab a shot glass and fill it up, and give my respects to dimebag.

we got a few drunken horrays, mostly from the parents. and after the song, ppl were like, hey, that was okay.

and for the last song, both me and the other guy broke or high E strings playing.

sadly to say, we didnt even get around of applause.

im quittin the band soon, ive bin playin with them for 2 years now, and its not workin.

some acoustic song will be up soon.

-kiegon

C.O.W- cowboys of wilton!!!
http://www.myspace.com/cbofwilton

TELE PARTS + ACTIVE EMG'S FOR SALE
tongue untied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
pentagram_man63
Spammed

Location: London, England, the World, Solar System, Milky Way, Space...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus
uhm to the guy that posted at the top, could you tell me why you had 2 bassists?

Well basically, our original bassist (good one, deusexbass2150 on this site) was a bit embarrased about playing, drummer convinced me but he wasnt too sure. Another bassist (really nice guy, but TBH crap) volunteered but then original decided to play so all of a sudden we had 2... the good one did the actual lines and the bad one just kinda followed what I was doing on guitar... MAN did it take hours to explain one song...

pentagram_man63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #10
DevilMayCare
Soul of Chaos

No fun, I don't have any interesting stories really to tell. Although having watched my friend's band practice a number of times, I can see now why you don't allow partners to watch.

The lead guitarist exploded at his girlfriend for the fact she couldn't name a single one of their songs despite the fact we were there to help with criticism and basic recording. It led on to an arguement about their relationship in general. Ended up with the drum kit scattered on the floor and the piano nearly upended. Not fun at all. Maybe I'll have a gig soon to comment on, then again maybe not.

Last edited by DevilMayCare : 12-20-2005 at 09:46 AM.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

im bored, so here goes storytime:

it was a dark and stormy night... well actually it wasnt really stormy, but it had rained earlier that day. i am supposed to be playing 3 songs with two other guys, another guitarist and a singer. the "gig" was really just us being schedualed to play at an open mic night at a local restaurant/bar. so we walk in and find a table to wait our turn. finally gets to us and we go on stage. now i lugged my amp all the way to this place, but it turns out that they want us to use the ones they have. ok, fine. they have the same model amp as i do so i dont mind too much. but the other guitarist insits on using his POS instead of the nice tube combo they want him too, so of course we are off to a great start.

we launch into our first song, 'wish you were here' by pink floyd, and every thing goes smoothly until the singer comes in. well, actually the problem is that he doesnt. he gets so lost that the crowd tells us to start over. they are very supportive cause they are mostly musicians and really want to see us do well. so we start over. and the singer comes in this time, but one bar late. so of course i repeat a bar so now the singer and i are together. but the other guitarist is oblivious to everything so he is off now. the singer starts to forget words and begins to mumble, so the other guitarist turns around and tells me, "lets just skip to the solo." so we skip to the solo/interlude thingy and play the song from there, and the singer manages to remember all the words this time and we finish well.

next song is 'Johnny B. Goode.' but its only the other guy playing the song because for some reason i get no part, and the singer didnt want to do the song so he didnt sing. so its two of us just standing up there trying not to look stupid while the other guy plays a song by himself and looks kinda stupid. crowd kinda enjoyed it, but with no vocals or anything it kinda sucked. and i could easily tell that by just looking at the faces of the crowd.

ok, third song. im finally playing again and we launch into 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath. this was our best song, which obviously didnt take too much. we manage to play through the song fine and the singer never lost his place this time. which was really good cause i was already gonna kill him. the biggest problem problem: the singer was reading the words off a sheet of paper as he sang them because he hadnt finished memorizing them. the other problem was the other guitarists solo. i was the better guitarist but because it was his idea to play the show, he got the solo. too bad he sucked at it. well, we finished the song with no major mishaps and i get my self off that stage as fast as possible. people clapped for us, but that was cause we finished half decently and they were trying to be supportive.

you want to know what i still cant believe about that night? that i agreed to try again two weeks later...
but thats a story for another time. if you guys are interested i can tell it later, but now is not the time.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #12
jumpmanhat
Korean Shred!!

First GIG:
The mic feedbacked like hell cuz we used a really old/cheap one with a 100WATT Peavey Keyboard amp, which is a piece of sh*t.
The first "song" was instrumentle it was me and my bass player (The great, ai4281 the crazy virtuoso) playing the Cunning Stunts' Jason and Kirk guitar doodle, which lead into the Sanitarium's first solo then to the Master of Puppets solos. ARRRGGHHH lots of times I screwed up.
Then some origional songs. no one heard me sing becuase the mic was ****ty.

Our rig was, the high school's drum kit (sucked balls as the drummer did as well)
My rig: Cort X2-Rp80-keyboard amp(yes the amp was multi tasking)
Bass rig: Cheap but okay Ibanez bass(now he has an Awsome 5 string BTB)-Two 16 Watt Kustom amps)

The turn out was good (at least 100 ppl) and lots of applause becuase that school had lots of metal heads

gooooooooood times............

Last edited by jumpmanhat : 12-23-2005 at 03:40 PM.
jumpmanhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #13
joshsirjoshules
UG Newbie

The Last Gig:

Before our last gig, our singer requested that we do a photo shoot, so we did. Our drummer didn't like photo shoots, so he was a little pissed (the singer and drummer are brothers by the way.) So we take about a million photos, and he's starting to get upset because he doesn't want to take any more photos. Our singer then wants us to take a photo flippin off the camera. I chuckled to myself about the idea, I thought it was stupid. The drummer however let his opinions be heard and said something to the effect of: "That's stupid, typical teen-angst ****." So the singer starts flippin off the drummer to his face. The drummer gets just pissed and punches the singer and the two get in a fight. After the fight, the drummer storms off and comes back to say he quits.

Now, in our search for a new drummer, we have found one, but haven't played with him yet. I seem to be the only one doing the searching so I call the drummer and ask him if he can jam today, and he says he doesn't know and that he'll just give me a call. I say alright, and I call the singer to tell him to keep on his toes because we may be jamming today (by the way he's basically the one who got the band together.) He says, "I'm not waiting around all day for a maybe." And I say, "Well that shows how committed you are." He says, "No it doesn't," and hangs up.

Long story short, I'm gonna quit cause he's such an asshole.
joshsirjoshules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
Jams
I like Tratters

I've played about 5 gigs in my attempts to start up a band, and I don't think I've done a single one with my flies done up. Most of them were quite poor, with various **** ups and mishaps. mic leads coming unplugged, my bassist managed to let go of his plectrum which hit me in the face, and our drummer kicked over the crappy school drums mid song 'cos he was pissed off with them.
Oh, and one of them was a charity event, so everyone involved was in a big photo to go in the local paper.
Guess who missed it 'cos they were having a ****?
Got another organised at my school soon, playing in front of about 550 people.
It's gonna be good. *Prays*
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Peavey Rage 158
Boos DS-1
Boss BD-2
Laney Vc30-212
Jams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:06 AM   #15
Some White Guy
UG Senior Member

My first gig was for half of our grade, with the Drama and Art fellas.

We were only aloud to play one song, and it had to based on "Growing Up" I was pretty much the leader because I was the only one who knew how to play an insturment. Our drummer was some paranoid, 'Nam obessed and hyped-up ******, our bassist was a liar and left-handed, and didn't own a left hand bass. Our singer was one of my best mates, and he did good. We had like 3 bongo's (WTF?!) But didn't matter. Anyway, we were playing, and our drummer, complete ****** just stops, and he sends nearly all of us out of time with me and the bass player just playing. BTW, the song we did was "I don't Wanna Grow Up" - The Ramones.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #16
AAA_the_band
Banned

lol ok here...like our 3rd gig or something.

here i am...guitarist...we get midway through our 4th song and one of my pedals gets stuck...i wasnt thinking right or something...so i kick it. I feel a pop in my ankle but it doesnt hurt much, so i keep playing. Later near the end of the gig...my ankle is hurting like a...yeah. yeah so my best friend...and vocalist, seems to see somethings wrong...but he doesnt do anything cause we're in the mid of a song. we finish the song, and right after...i swear my ankle gve way, i didn't know cause i guess i blacked out...because my friend said my ankle was at likea 90 degree anle with my leg. lol i didnt play in a gig for a LONG time afterwards. and i had crutches for a month...but it's aa pretty funny story...i also have never used that pedal again
AAA_the_band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
Mack56
mackabre

First gig story. mine is sorta fun

anyway, me and the other guitarist had been practicing on and off for weeks before the show. the thing is, we had no drummer, and i didn't really meet the lead singer until a week or two before. anyway, we didn't really start practicing for real until the monday before. I spent that week going "where's the bassist?" Ok, enough back story, on to the actual gig.

So basically, we were playin at a party in this guy's backyard (patio=stage). And, if we weren't innadequate enough, with only 2 guitarists (electric) and a lead singer, one of the other bands was AWESOME. yeah, we heard them doing sound check, and our singer chickens out. We spend a good 20 minutes getting him to agree to doing the show. (He got a little drunk later, that helped). I couldn't really bring my amp so i had to use one from another band

Anyway, there's like, 12 people there, not including the other bands. We go up, and i'm singing the first song (i don't know why) So we play, i have no idea what i sound like to the "crowd", cause i can only hear my voice going into the mic (which i'm staring at intently) It's cold, so I mess up the solo. but overall, it was alright. We got delayed applause.

ok, second song (we only played 2 cause the singer didn't want to do the third)
We're doing pretty decent, cause it's an easy song. I have a short solo in the middle of it, but it threw off the other guitarist's timing. I felt like an idiot. I got to look out at the people during this song and no one looked interested at all. Oh well. So we finish the song to more delayed applause. and i walk away going "we sucked up there."

I hope we have better luck in the future (shouldn't be taht hard...)

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Mack56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #18
scrambler_66
Let's Do Coke!!

This is going to sound more violent that it actually was, because it was all just harmless fun.

Backstory:
I have a reputation of making jokes, most which turn out to be groaners. My band members know this, and despise me for it.

So yesterday, at band practice, I made a joke (which I can't even remember what I said), and the other guitarist picked up a guitar cable and threatened to whip me with it. So I cheesed it out of the garage, into the street, and across a neighbor's yard, where he gave up the chase. "Fat men aren't supposed to run," he even yelled to me.

Just when I thought I was in the clear, my 10 year old neighbor springs out of the house and picks up where the other guy left off.

Long story short, I get tackled by my neighbor's dog, chased across my backyard, then put in a sleeper hold by the bassist.

Then started playing basketball with him.

EDIT:
I remember the joke. It had to do with the bassist finding chocolate (yes, we had chocolate in the garage) , made a funny sound, and then a comment from me along the lines of "Get a tissue, my hands are kinda sticky," but I don't want to repeat the joke.

Last edited by scrambler_66 : 01-18-2006 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling and addition.
scrambler_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #19
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

My music class put on a performance at my school's Christmas concert.

In the weeks that we spent preparing the show, the band (myself on bass, my cousin and a friend on guitar, one guy playing drums, and another playing the bongos) mostly just slacked off. We never practiced, instead choosing to play Tool and AC/DC songs.

Of course, we were able to learn the songs quite easily. This was partly because A)my cousin has perfect pitch and could figure out all of the chord progressions and B)the drummer was incredible.

The day of the show, we had a rehearsal in front of some of the students. My cousin decides to use his tiny practice amp instead of a real amp, saying his tiny Crate amp is "really loud." He didn't understand that a tiny amp sound louder in his room than it does in a school auditorium, especially when goin up against a full-sized amp and a large bass amp. I couldn't hear his guitar, even on stage. I later heard from people in the audience that the bass wasn't loud enough.

We performed a medley of Carol of the Bells, Silent Night, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bell Rock, and going back into CotB at the end. The lunch bell rang halfway through our set; half of the audience left, and we still recieved the loudest ovation.

After the show, we ate lunch and went back into the auditorium for one more practice session. At the end, the nut and washer holding my input jack fall off, and the jack falls into the bass. I was able to save the pieces. The instruments were all left in the auditorium, but I had no time to fix it.

The show comes up, and we weren't able to find a screwdriver until three songs before our performance. The second guitarist had experience with fixing these kind of problems, and was able to fix it while I helped set up the amplifiers. I got it back before our part, but I wasn't able to tune my bass beforehand.

Then the performance starts, and the second guitarist's amp isn't working properly. The first CotB sounds pretty bad. Once we get past that little issue, everything goes smoothly. My cousin used his good amp, and the bass was a little louder this time. Again, we get the loudest ovation.

I later watched a tape of the video. The singers were WAAAAAY off. Plus, the second guitarist and I couldn't be seen-we were on the side of the stage, and the lights weren't pointing at us.

Overall, though, it was a pretty good time. Now our class is trying to write a musical. I can't wait to see what's gonna happen this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #20
robertreilly666
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Our second song was Wicked Game by HIM. Uh-oh. I had to bend down to fiddle with my pedals between the songs and I knocked my guitar out of tune on a music stand. So in the intro, which is picking the notes of a chord, my gitar sounded like crap and I had to retune during the song. The whole song was a disaster because I was the only one who knew it.

you do know that wicked game isnt by him?
I can only poop during full moons.
robertreilly666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: