Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #21
Some White Guy
UG Senior Member

Its by Me! Sorry, couldn't help myself. I like the story about how the guy kicked his pedal and broke his ankle, we salute you.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #22
madefortvmovie
The Weekend Warrior

so this summer i was playing a club called neils, and a friend has reserved the backroom for her 18th birthday party. my friend and i play in a two man comedy/acoustic/jam band, called Chasing Aries or The Spoo, depending on our mood.

There were three bands/performers that night, and we decided we wanted to play last, to which no one objected. well, the first band to play was a jam band, and they played one a hell of a show. their guitarist was out of town, but they still managed to play a good set with what they had.

next came a solo performer, who did some acoustic covers.

finally it came our turn. Things started out smoothly enough, as we went through a couple instrumentals of our own. Then we started to play some covers. I was midway through everlong, when all of a sudden i notice people pointing and laughing at me... I was like, "what the ****?" until i realized that they were pointing behind me...

out of nowhere, a black cat jumped off the drum kit and walked right behind me... the freaky thing is, that right at that exact moment, my gear cut out, and continued to act up for the rest of the night. it was pretty strange

we decided to finish playing our set early, and instead launch into improv. After making fun of the birthday girl and her boyfriend (which turned out to be quite successful). We ended the night with the jam band playing with me as my friend continued to "sing" about ashley (the bday girl)

strange night; fun night; good night.

Last.FM
madefortvmovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #23
Rocker4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by madefortvmovie
so this summer i was playing a club called neils, and a friend has reserved the backroom for her 18th birthday party. my friend and i play in a two man comedy/acoustic/jam band, called Chasing Aries or The Spoo, depending on our mood.

There were three bands/performers that night, and we decided we wanted to play last, to which no one objected. well, the first band to play was a jam band, and they played one a hell of a show. their guitarist was out of town, but they still managed to play a good set with what they had.

next came a solo performer, who did some acoustic covers.

finally it came our turn. Things started out smoothly enough, as we went through a couple instrumentals of our own. Then we started to play some covers. I was midway through everlong, when all of a sudden i notice people pointing and laughing at me... I was like, "what the ****?" until i realized that they were pointing behind me...

out of nowhere, a black cat jumped off the drum kit and walked right behind me... the freaky thing is, that right at that exact moment, my gear cut out, and continued to act up for the rest of the night. it was pretty strange

we decided to finish playing our set early, and instead launch into improv. After making fun of the birthday girl and her boyfriend (which turned out to be quite successful). We ended the night with the jam band playing with me as my friend continued to "sing" about ashley (the bday girl)

strange night; fun night; good night.

That's wierd
Old 01-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #24
timi_hendrix
My heron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertreilly666
you do know that wicked game isnt by him?

I'm not an idiot. Chris Isaak. HIM covered it on their first album.

My Music
timi_hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #25
J-Spoon
Banana-ed

Seeing as this thread has died down a little I thought I'd return interest to it.

My first perfromance was at an open mic night, when I quite gamely attempted Jeff Buckley's "Mojo Pin". The playing was alright, bu tthe singing was average. I was trying to quit the shakes but I was freaking out. I've have gotten better with that with more performance.

It wasn't a song the crowd were going to appreciate anyway, there were to many pop skanks there. But my friends got it. It just felt good to let go, you know?

The next time I got up, same event- monthgs or so later, I played Bob Dylan's "Just Like A Woman". That is a much easier song than Buckley's!
J-Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #26
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Well, here goes my contribution. We had our first proper public gig on Friday evening, here's the run down of it.

The guys started setting the stuff up at about 7 (there was more than one band playing, we were on first, but the other guys' equipment gets set up to save time). I turned up at quarter past with all my equipment, and the drummer appeared 5 minutes later. We got our stuff set up and waited. Just after half past the bass player turned up, plugged in. We tuned up, decided on a final tempo for the opening song, and so it begins.

The first song was a 12 Bar Blues original. Bassist opened it, drummer came in on the fifth bar, I came in on the tenth, just soloing around over the top of it. Had to extend my intro solo a lot, because I forgot the words. When I remembered the words, I sang them at the wrong pace, so I stopped, waited for the song to go round again, and did the first verse, in time.
Had to solo for a bit because I forgot the second verse. When I remembered it, I sang it and nailed it first time. Then went into the main solo, but after about 24 bars, the drummer stopped. The bassist stopped a bar or two afterwards, and that was that. We had to abrubtly end the song, and yeah... Not too bad, could've been worse, but could've been a lot better. Ah well, such is life.

Second song, we got almost perfect. I jumbled up the first two lines of the first verse and the first two lines of the second verse, but other than that it was perfect. Reasonably fast paced rock song.

Third song, we launched into it, and then I got really insecure about the singing the lyrics, so I basically ommited them. Baring in mind it ended up becoming completely instrumental, it went really well. The music underneath the lyrics is carried by the bass, so it wasn't just a chord sequence played round, so it made for a relatively interesting instrumental.

Fourth song; originally we were only supposed to be doing 3, but we though fuck it, and the band on after us said it was cool, so we did another one. In retrospect, it would've been better to open with this one; it's a completely instrumental jam song. There's a bassline which opens, the drums come in, and then it's basically the guitar and the bass improvising a lot for five or so minutes. This one was pretty much perfect too.

~

Meh, take what you will. We had a good time, there were a couple of fluff-ups, but only the first song just kinda stopping was really noticeable.
Heck, in any case, it certainly showed that we not only work well together as a band, but we can all perform well together two, and we all gel pretty well, as well as being (certainly for me in any case) a very much needed boost in confidence. Meh, and that's my experience.

EDIT: All songs were originals; we play blues driven pyschedelic rock. Crowd wasn't particularly huge, but they seemed to enjoy it.

Last edited by SomeEvilDude : 01-28-2006 at 05:54 PM.
SomeEvilDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:43 AM   #27
AcDcizzle
Creamy. beige.

This will be my first post in a long while but on to the story...

Its summer. hot as all hell. Im trying to impress this girl whos 16 (im 14 at the time) who I have a giant crush on. Its her sweet 16 and Im desperate to impress her. They booked this so-so Fall out boy cover band. So they take a break and I say "can I play a few?" "sure". So of course Im like wow is this a gig? then I set myself up with this stratocaster and first I shred a little and get everyone going. But then Im nervous as hell cuz there are at least 50-100 people there. So I shout requests and her sister shouts "good riddance". I figure I had that nailed though I was nervous. Halfway through the amp and the mic cuts. So I get nervous and try to start over and I COMPLETELY FORGET the damn lyrics. so then they keep shouting green day and all these other easy songs. So the drummer comes over and we start playing my bands music and having a good time jamming. Then we went through an awful american idiot, and Tryed to outdo each other in speed soloing. Well other then the fact that I botched the good riddance I had a good time....

Not on subject but I ended up going out with the girl for a month and then I realized she was dumb as a rock.

Fender Bassman '59 RI
Ibanez fretless bass
AcDcizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #28
Boghead

lets jus say never EVER leave drinks on top of ur amp
Boghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #29
Rocker4500

My first gig last night -

We are second on in a bill of 7 local bands. I start playing the intro to the first song, and everyone started cheering, thank god, I was worried about a cold crowd. Throughout the first song all goes well apart from - a) the lead singer's mike is to low, and b) The rhythm guitarist concentrates so much on playing to the crowd and putting on a show, that he completely ****s up and almost throws us all off.
Second song is alot lighter and less rocky, w3e breeze through it with no mistakes whatsever. Afterwards the crowd start chanting our band name.
Third song went well, only problem was when I discovered my high E string was out during the solo, I held a bend and tried to re-tune, in fact a couple of times during the solo. People said afterwards that I was doing it for show, that was not the case though. We ended with a bang and I threw my plectrum into the crowd and came out with positive feedback all round. Only thing wrong was a hint of feedback from my amp and a dreadful soundmix (and that is what you get for not allowing us a soundcheck, Mr Venue person!).

Thanks to UGers for all the advice leading up to the gig! I had an awesome evening!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
patroller69
Neutral Bassist

Hey everyone im the bassist in rocker4500s band and ive also gotta thanks for all the support the community has offered in the run up to our gig. It truely was an amazing feeling being up on stage hearing people chant our name. And its was such a confidence boost nailing our first gig like that.

Only problem was like he said awful sound mix because of rushing our setup.And i gotta admite i slipped up once in our last song but only fractionally thankfully no-one noticed so it was all gd.

cheers nath.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #31
Drop-A
Banned

This one time i called up my bass player and said, hey you wanna come over for a jam. and he said i can't, im going to the doctor. THE END
Drop-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #32
SG thrasher
Don't believe a word.

well there was this charity thing at my school to raise money for something, i dunno, and my band was asked to play, we did two sets, consisting of 2 songs each. So eventually the time came for us to go onstage for our first set. we played Fashion zombies by the aquabats, and Kill the poor by DK which we changed to help the poor(seemed more appropriate), both of the songs in the first set were sung by guest appearance of my good friend mike. so after that there was supposed to be a speach and something else before we came on to play the second set, without the aid of mike. i was sitting in the wings having a drink, and chilling out when suddenly, to my surprise, THERE WAS NO "SOMETHING" AFTER THE SPEACH!,and the guys who were giving the speach shouted, "i would like to introduce AXXE!!!!", "Bugger" i thought,"wheres the damn band" i thought. little did i know they were back stage and did not here the guys introduce us, i walked onto the stage, grabbed the mic and shouted AXXE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,the band came running from back stage, we plugged in and off we went, The first song we played was Breaking the law, by judas priest, it went off without a hitch. my vocals were clear and the sound was balanced, no problemo, then we began the second song, one of our own, titled "EMOSLAYER". i began the intro and then a saw a good friend of mine tell the girl sitting next to him "I cant hear Baz"(baz is my nickname)so i quickly finnished the intro and whacked the amp up, he gave a salute, and i nodded to him. We kicked some serious dick on that song couldn't have been better. at the end of that set i shouted down the mic "rock and roll!" and walked off

that was a damn good day
SG thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 AM   #33
Next_Hendrix

My best show(possibly ever)

My friend David's birthday was coming up. Big party, and my we were booked along with The Falling of Ashes. The night before the show, I got disowned and had what I imagine was a small mental breakdown. We were driving back to the apartment, and stopped at a gas station. A friend of mine was there, and upon seeing me in that condition, handed me four pills which I believe are called clanazipan or something. I didn't know to only take one, popped all four, and slepped for sixteen hours. I woke up high enough to hang from God's nose hair. That night, apparently we played an amazing show. We covered Free Bird, and I guess I did an incredible solo. Unfortunately for me, clanazipan has an amnesia affect on me. I can remember fragments of the show, and the preceeding week is lost in the depths of my mind. Sweet sweet irony huh?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #34
jen 1

Ive had a lot of strange gigs, the most perculiar was playing our full on thrash metal set to a youth community centre age range 6 to 12. as you can imagine, the kids just stared at us bewildered and scared.
Probably just as strange for me was feeling sick halfway through a song cos I was so drunk - and hurling all over the stage. i ran backstage to be sick more and then come back out on stage and was cheered like a king! A few months later I was so drunk I chucked my guitar off stage (oh my god ive never regretting doing something so dumb) - 200 to repair it.
jen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:29 AM   #35
GuitarGod610
Marauder of Slaughter

My band had a show at a legion hall type thing a few months ago and everything was cool. We did Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine for a sound check and then went into our blisteringly long 14-song set (all originals). The problem was that I had my glasses off and couldn't really read the damn set list that we had printed out, so I just didn't know what song was next. What's worse is that I start almost all of our songs, so most of the time I was just standing there with my guitar, looking at the other guys with an expression that just said "I don't know what's going on!" Our singer looked like a complete doofus, too, because he has no fashion sense at all, even for a guy. He wore these baggy green dress pants that flapped out like a parachute and a stupid Snoopy t-shirt. Pretty much, he didn't look like he was even in our band. He's a stubborn, close-minded asshole about music and appearance anyway, so it's really hard to talk to him about anything.
GuitarGod610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:35 AM   #36
GuitarGod610
Marauder of Slaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcDcizzle
Not on subject but I ended up going out with the girl for a month and then I realized she was dumb as a rock.

That sucks, man! Nothing worse than pursuing a good-looking girl only to find out that she's just a dumb broad and doesn't make you sandwiches.
GuitarGod610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #37
ShaggyDan
One With The Geek

First Gig:

In 10th grade we had an end of year music performance which my band played at. We only found out about it 2 weeks before and not having too much experience previously we managed to piece together a 4 song set of covers (everyone who played was given about 10 minutes).

As for the actual show, apart from having a singer that could not sing (grabbed someone that had the guts to do it at the last minute) it went well. Minor mishaps with amps and straps but stuff like that happens. After watching the video the computers teacher made of it we actually played better than I thought we did.

Latest episode: "Fanboys, we choose you!" dedicated solely to pokemon.
ShaggyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #38
d_man2k
Banned

Had an immence gig last Saturday. Here's what we played:

YOU DO SOMETHING TO ME - Paul Weller
YELLOW - Coldplay
SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder
GOLDEN TOUCH - Razorlight
BROWN EYED GIRL - Van Morrison
YOU REALLY GOT ME - The Kinks
SAW HER STANDING THERE - The Beatles
AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET - Bachman Turner Overdrive
HARD DAYS NIGHT - The Beatles
I PREDICT A RIOT - Kaiser Chiefs
ALL THESE THINGS - The Killers
VERTIGO - U2
GROWING ON ME - The Darkness
WALK OF LIFE - Dire Straits
CROCODILE ROCK - Elton John
I'M A BELIEVER - The Monkees
TWIST AND SHOUT - The Beatles
SOUL MAN - James Brown
LAST NITE - The Strokes
ROCKIN' ALL OVER WORLD - Status Quo

The gig was a real success! Judging by the amount of compliments we got afterwards, eveyone liked it ^_^ And I don't think anyone left the dancefloor after Golden Touch. We also got a friend to operate a smoke machine in You Do Something to Me. Was pretty atmospheric!

My highlights were:

Everyone singing along in Kaiser Chiefs; the "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" bit in Killers; Everyone in the crowd shouting "Ola!!" in Vertigo; my solos in Growing on me which I think went pretty well; everyone in the crowd singing along to Crocodile Rock, and our final song Rockin' All Over the World went down really well, we just carried the outro on for ages and everyone was going nuts!! We then did Buck Rogers for an encore, and we ended up doing Walk of Life again at the end because everyone wanted us to. I'm very pleased with how it went.
d_man2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #39
mrFood
Sick of "UG's _____"

First gig:

At a carnival, playing to my parents, two of my teachers, and a Latino family of four.

The chick that got us booked said we didn't need amps, and that there would be a P.A. and stacks to jam on, but the real deal was that there was a P.A. and nothing else. The venue was too far to go back and get amps, so we (drummer, guitar, bass, and vocals) all plugged straight into the P.A. So, the sound frequently flattened out and went to half the standard volume for like 30 seconds at a time.

And then something else was running off the same outlet as our stage, so our power cut out. In the middle of a song. And it happened twice.

Also, another gig I played forced us to start on time. No one was there. Literally. So everyone that came to our show missed our first two songs, at least. A couple missed out entire first set. THAT was great.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
mrFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:57 AM   #40
.:iloveyou:.
i cant afford 2 get sick!

The First Gig:

I wouldnt really call it a gig, but it was my best friends 2 year anniversary party and he wanted my band to play. I told him we weren't THAT good and really not experienced, but he knew we could play SOme ****. Since the party was like 15 or 20 people and I knew most of them, we just got in their living room (the party was being hosted at their house) and played the only song we wrote, which wasnt... great , but id have to say it was tolerable, and a cover. it was OK, only OK, and i dont think i could ever make it to a real stage in front of thousands of screaming fans or anything, but hell the party was fun as hell. it wasnt really hard to play in front of everybody, i was depending on my band mates to help pull it throigh, and we did. ah what a night. id have to say i learned a lot that night,

Rate This Thread: