Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #461
Matt1992
The Man with the Plan

My First Gig

I joined a little un-named christian band.

I was the bass player.

Unfortunely, the songs contained chords, and I didn't know any.

Fortunately, we had a good amount of time to practice and set up equipment. The guitarist/singer played bass in his school orchestra and showed me which notes go with each chord.

Long story short, my performance was decent, but they wanted to use a different bassist.
Matt1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #462
axeman80
drummer passed out again

Going away party for a high school friend. He is a Mormon and was leaving the country for 2 years to do missionary work in a small far away country. My lead singer, who was very hit or miss with his between song banter, said something to the effect of "Hey, how are all you Amish folk doing out there today?!?" Later he made a comment about how he was glad they had electricity so we could plug in our amps and stuff.

The rest of the gig was very uncomfortable to say the least.
axeman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #463
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

I almost forgot how much fun it is to play shows lol, haven't played live in a good 2 years.

A couple a nights ago, I played in a "cover" botb competition. Me and a couple friends put together a rage against the machine tribute so we could play in it. SO we had about a month to get 6 songs down and then play.

Well skip to the end, we won this round and are moving on. We had the whole entire place screaming, and had a bunch of people coming up and rapping the lyrics with our vocalist. Probably a good 100 people there for it.

I got a lot of compliments for my guitar playing, some people saying they liked my interpretation of their songs with out the effects (i have nothing but a crybaby wah).

Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol, just thought I would share

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #464
Legend Jedicsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman80
Going away party for a high school friend. He is a Mormon and was leaving the country for 2 years to do missionary work in a small far away country. My lead singer, who was very hit or miss with his between song banter, said something to the effect of "Hey, how are all you Amish folk doing out there today?!?" Later he made a comment about how he was glad they had electricity so we could plug in our amps and stuff.

Sorry, but that made me laugh, lol
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Legend Jedicsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #465
Mother Flame

My freshman year of college I played guitar in a band that played gigs at frat houses, hookah bars and house parties and shizzy. Anyways we were playing a huge frat party (over 300 people) and the crowd was digging us, everyone was schwasted.

Our singer and bassist decided to take a break, so me and my drummer started jamming out to Bulls on Parade. Obviously shit got rowdy. My two buddies were completely hammered and heard us start in on some Rage so they ran out to the porch where there was refridgerator just sitting there. They decided it would be a good idea to toss it off the porch. I go to school in the mountains and this house was pretty high up.

Needless to say the frat guys were pissed and chased my buddies down the street with baseball bats and shit. Luckily they both got away.
Mother Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #466
NextDimebagDarr

First On-stage gig with bass (First and last. Converted guitarist :P Thank Malmsteen and Michael Angelo Batio!)

Well... I was at a church camp and my friends made a riff. I GOT drafted as the bassist because I played guitar. Well... Yeah.. We got on stage and started bustin out some good technical stuff... My buddy, Anton, was about to get to the mini-solo on his guitar (We had 2 guitarists, 1 bassist. No drummer haha. SOUNDED BEAST THOUGH!!!) and... The judges stopped us. We got an amazing amount of applause there and... This is the best part (for me anyway...): Before and after, the show, everyone was chanting my name. It was GREAT

GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
NextDimebagDarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #467
Karlboy
UG's Stoner Friend

I played a show maybe 'bout a year ago, give or take a couple months. As an experiment, we wanted to see how we could improve audience interaction so I hatched an idea. We made really fast, 90's style Rancid-punk song that just looped that was just supposed to have the most energy as possible. What we did, was bought 16 boxes of Jello and made 8 liters of the stuff. Divided it in half, then put it in two separate turkey pans. We got two audience members to come onstage and eat the Jello as fast as they possibly could before the song was over. What came next was something I will never forget...

One of the 'competitors' suddenly stood up about two minutes in and started running as fast as she could, projectile vomiting. We had to stop the song because we were laughing so hard. Oh God, that was an awesome show... we did clean up, to be fair...

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Karlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #468
NextDimebagDarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlboy
I played a show maybe 'bout a year ago, give or take a couple months. As an experiment, we wanted to see how we could improve audience interaction so I hatched an idea. We made really fast, 90's style Rancid-punk song that just looped that was just supposed to have the most energy as possible. What we did, was bought 16 boxes of Jello and made 8 liters of the stuff. Divided it in half, then put it in two separate turkey pans. We got two audience members to come onstage and eat the Jello as fast as they possibly could before the song was over. What came next was something I will never forget...

One of the 'competitors' suddenly stood up about two minutes in and started running as fast as she could, projectile vomiting. We had to stop the song because we were laughing so hard. Oh God, that was an awesome show... we did clean up, to be fair...

That's perfect. Made my day. Great times.

GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #469
jayx124

The first time I played my hands felt paralyzed and I had to really force my self to move the fingers
jayx124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #470
NextDimebagDarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayx124
The first time I played my hands felt paralyzed and I had to really force my self to move the fingers

Ha. Yeah man that happened to me to! It sucked... But I was a scubby/nooby guitarist/bassist then. I know A LOT better now haha. My hands have tons of stamina as opposed to the 0 they had back then! =P Just work your hands out... Try fast solos like A7x's Beast and the Harlot! ;D

Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #471
axeman80
drummer passed out again

Since I've been gigging on and off since '86, I have a million of these stories...

Outdoor July 4th party, we played for several hours and it was starting to get dark so we were finishing since there were no lights and fireworks were going off everywhere. Last song was our heavier version of Jailhouse Rock. Song was going great, I had a wireless and had some ladies dancing with me as I walked through the crowd. Last outro solo done, back to the main riff then hit the last E chord and wait for the drummer to do the final "boom boom" on the snare and bass drum but it never comes. Walk back towards the band and the drummer is lying on the ground. It seems he was hit with a bottle rocket (or some type of flying firework) and got knocked off his throne right at the end of the song. I actually have it on cassette tape which is fun to listen to every once in awhile (you hear a loud whistling sound and then no more drums).

He's fine by the way...just got done practicing last night.
axeman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #472
redhotsexmagic
be a hot dancer

played my first open mic this past tues..forgot a verse from each song i played but ppl didn't really care/notice ..good times

set: Rodeo Clowns: Jack Johnson,
Cabron: RHCP
American Boy: Estelle ft.Kanye (put my own loungy acoustic spin on)

since it was cinco de mayo week i felt rodeo clowns and cabron have a cool spanish feel to them and since America (**** YEAH!) killed bin laden the day before I finished with American Boy.

Taylor 314CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
redhotsexmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #473
Tombe
Post-Rocker

Played the first gig with my new band last night (well, proper gig, we've got a few open mics under our belt) and to say we were blighted by technical issues would be putting it mildly. First off, I plugged everything together, gave the Tele a big old E major whack and... nothing. Something in its bowels wasn't working. So I ended up going direct through a POD, so at least I could get the all-important dirt and reverb. Turns out it was my troublesome Holy Grail for a change. We also had to contend with the pre-amp on the singer's acoustic guitar just completely giving up the ghost. She then had to borrow another guitar which experienced tuning issues usually reserved for a no-name classical acoustic. Furthermore, when your harmonica holder won't even work properly you know there's some sort of divine intervention going on.

But despite this we actually didn't make a complete arse of it - I pointed out to the others that we actually played everything properly with no mistakes, even if it was on broken equipment. I got the Mandocaster out at one point and apparently I looked like Wilko Johnson stomping around the stage thrashing away at it. We also did a cover of Henry Lee by Nick Cave as a duet, with me doing Nick's part, and I'm delighted to say we nailed it (since that was probably the only part of the set where anyone way paying any attention at all to me).

FUZZY FLATPICKER σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Tombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #474
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

First performance earlier today, it was a recital, but I enjoyed myself. I was 4th to play, and was doing a rendition of John Lennon's "Imagine", with my teacher accompanying my leads with chords. The thing was, the other students were all playing a bowed instrument with the occasional piano thrown in, and most were younger than me, so It was nutty coming up with an amp and a guitar. As for the actual performance, I had fun, my tone was good, and I didn't make any mistakes, though I could have spruced up my improvising in the middle, but overall I felt successful receiving compliments and a firm applause.

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Bluesblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #475
xkreedx
Heard that yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman80

Lol whoops.. Mormons definitely have electricity. You're singer needs a little more education it sounds like haha
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #476
JonoFtw

First performance i would call it was at school in music class in front of a few people in year 9 with a pretty shit bass player 2 guitarists me being one of them and a pretty awesome drummer. We play Carrion by Parkway Drive and by the end of it, us playing heaps loud in this little class room i look around and theres like got to be 50 people from the school looking through the windows and shit. So i'm crapping myself some of these guys in year 12 looked really mean anyway. She tells us to play another song, we play Danger Wildman by The devil wears prada, i must of looked like a tard trying not to look like a tard in front of these people. It was decent tone wise one of the amps was shit though so i had to bring in my Ml-2 Metalcore which i almost lost because some year 7's decided to take it, drummer was heaps loud and bassist was pretty shit. Most people left halfway through that song, i can't blame them, it's not really a school filled with 'metal heads' I was pretty happy with it all sounded pretty good in my opinion, got bagged out a bit but i didn't give a shit :P
Teacher was impressed, she thought we were going to suck heaps because we never practiced in school because we tend to spend all the time setting up the shit equipment and then messing around lol
JonoFtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #477
Snowblind 911
V <3 gemma ward

First paid gig last weekend. We'd played at like, 5 parties, a charity event at a swanky hotel with a couple of hundred guests, and at a local tavern prior to this. It honestly put me off playing again at a non-musical venue.

First off the place (a rugby club) shafted us from the main stage because they had TWO TABLES AND SOME CHAIRS set up for bingo the following night, and couldn't comprehend what we meant when we said, "we'll move them off the stage for you now, and put them back on later", so we ended up playing round at the sports bar, which was probably 20m x 10m. There was no proper stage so we set up our gear just against a wall.

The idea of the gig was for the club to have a band to keep the regulars back after the rugby had finished to drink more. We were under the impression from the manager that he really wanted us to rock the joint. We have a natural affinity for loud music, so we turned our gear up pretty loud. During the soundcheck some old codger started complaining, asking us to turn down as he was ON HIS MOBILE PHONE. Warning bells went off at that point. We soundchecked with London Calling by The Clash (learned it the night before and refined it on the day as I thought we should cater to our audience and learn some classic covers) and were greeted with dirty looks from the locals trying to watch horse racing on the TV's (yes, the venue left the TV's on and didn't mute them). By now I'm feeling a little uncomfortable - we'd had an incredible band practice beforehand and nailed all 26 of the songs for out setlist, so were really pumped to play.

When we started the manager rushed up and frantically told us to turn down. This process happened about six times, by which point you could pretty much talk over us. So much for rocking the joint. We also started getting heckled by some guys who kept calling for us to play old songs, one suggestion that stuck with my post-post gig inebriation was Cat Stevens. So obviously we were at the wrong venue.

The first set went terribly. We played fine, but we were rigid, and visibly unimpressed and frankly I was bored and pissed off at the venue (which I realized was the wrong attitude pretty quickly). During the interval I spoke to the lads and we decided to just f*ck it, and we went inside (luckily our second set started with Song 2 by Blur) and really got into it - jumping around and bantering with the crowd. During a more punk/upbeat cover of Glycerine by Bush I noticed one drunk guy who had previously been heckling us really getting into it - so at the end of the song I gave him a shout out and that got a few laughs.

Long story short, we cleverly had put all our old (70's, 80's) covers into our second set, as well as a few popular modern songs, and the hecklers suddenly loved us - they came up and apologized for being rude, explained that they just felt like we'd invaded at first (understandable considering we bought like 20 friends who looked out of place), and by the end of the night we had half the place up dancing. We played a 5 song encore and probably could've kept going.

Unfortunately though, haha, the manager left early in the night, and apparently received noise complaints, as well as complaints that we were "heavy metal" and not "light rock", so I doubt we'll be playing there again. We got $100 each for it though, so no complaints really.

Lesson learned - don't get bothered by hecklers, seek out appropriate venues, perservere no matter what.

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Snowblind 911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #478
sweetbeans

Wink

I was playing a gig with my band THE WATER RUNS RED this summer we played at 10am and 6 pm we played 6 songs both times. We rocked the the first gig. So I was all chil and stuff and then like an hour before we go on for the next show this guy is like well let's switch the songs up a little bit and play this new song. Well I had never herd or practiced this song but everybody said we should do it so I played it all by ear And it didn't sound to bad. And the people there really seemed to enjoy the gig.
sweetbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #479
JustPhil
Not beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind 911
I noticed one drunk guy who had previously been heckling us really getting into it - so at the end of the song I gave him a shout out and that got a few laughs.

Nothing better than going one up against a smart-arse heckler.

May as well share the story of my last gig with my band.
We only had to do a 20 minute set supporting a local band at the local carnival, unfortunately the problems began when the sound techs (who work with the headlining band) were having trouble with the mixing desk and sound check pretty much didn't happen, our guitarist played for a minute then they said that'll be fine... no need to check the bass (me), drums, etc.

When it came to doing our first song the guitar was overwhelmingly weak, the sound guys did sod all to correct it so we just turned the amp up ourselves and carried on. The next few songs were quite immense and the audience were properly enjoying it.

On the second to last song though I couldn't hear any bass at all, there's a part when I slap a low D note aggressively and repeatedly to pretty much just shake the whole damn place up.. but despite pulling my best sex face while doing it there was nothing.
Before we played the last song I let the sound guys know but there was still no bass at all, all I could do from there on was look like I was giving it the beans and look like a beast.

When I went to unplug my bass, it turned out someone had beaten me to it and had plugged in the other bands bass guitar.. dicks.

tl:dr - use sound techs you trust.
JustPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #480
voodooenglish

My bands first gig.

I'm a lead guitarist

We was asked by school to play the annual street fair.

Let me explain first that my band has gone through a lot of trouble since it started. we originally had a female singer that refused to sing any song that was about a woman on fear of been called a lesbian. Kinda pissed me off. We fired her when the band first started.

We got this drummer on board that was brilliant but he decided he was going to play rhythm guitar. Fair enough. He turned out to be a complete and utter W***er that didn't understand the word compromise at all. What made me really hate him is at band practice if I played a single note wrong he would stop us mid song to start over.

The first bassist was the first female singer so when she left i brought my 12 year old brother on board. he picked up bass at a astonishing rate, he was only three months into playing when he could do the solo to N.I.B and alot of the John entwhistle stuff.

I found this jazz drummer in a jazz club at school so he joined the band.

our next singer was a bitch that decided that every time i played a Clapton riff or a Syd Barrett or any Robert Johnson stuff she would leave practice. she left and formed another band with the rhythm guitarist. This was a week to the street fair.

We had to cover a 20 minute gig and we needed to find a singer in a week. There was this girl in class that we knew could sing so we asked her.

So the time comes for the gig and our setlist consists of three songs that we managed to learn in a week.

Sunshine of your love-Cream
In Bloom-Nirvana
Interstellar Overdrive/Seven nation army- Syd Barrett With Pink Floyd/The White Stripes.

So i was extremely nervous as I think is normal at a first gig. The singer was a hidden gem. to say she likes grunge bands like nirvana she doesn't half have a good Blues/Jazz voice.

First song went perfect. second song was fine until the solo. my amp had to be placed on the other side of the stage from me for some reason. i couldn't get to it for the feedback that's required with that solo.

The last song was definitively the thing i remember the most. I start off with the interstellar overdrive riff. which ends on a E chord so the bassist started the bassline for seven nation army after a bit. The singer, when i think back, sent shivers down my spine that song. she sung that song so brilliantly. I think the most eventful moment was when the drummers hi-hat came undone (i don't know what happened but i think that what happened.) I don't do anything in the verse so i got down on my knees and fixed it while he played. managed to get it just in time.

So that was my first gig. it went as well as i could have hoped it to. that lineup is still the present band today.
voodooenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: