Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #481
Tombe
Post-Rocker

I want to hear the Interstellar Nation Army mash-up!

Anyway, my first gig with the newest band I've joined, who play indie/post-punk type stuff, was something of a baptism of fire because I'd only joined the band a couple of weeks before and had just about been deemed good enough for public unveiling. We kept getting told in the soundcheck that we were too loud so kept having to turn it down, but decided to flunk the regulations in the last song because we felt it needed the extra volume, but anyway. It was a gig that was the ultimate proof that cheap gear doesn't necessarily perform in a live context. Or even a rehearsal for that matter, because the day before (no last-minute panic or anything...) the bassist snapped a string and I bust one on the mandolin too.

It started off well, I even managed not to mess up the bit at the end of the first song, where it collapses into a wall of feedback and crashing cymbals giving me about 3 seconds to switch from mandolin to guitar before the drummer kicks the next song off. When it got near the end of the third song, though, it started to go a bit awry with a loud 'Clang!' and the frontman's guitar veering suddenly out of tune. I glanced across to see a string dangling uselessly from the bridge. "Has anyone got a guitar?" he rather stupidly asked the crowd, probably hoping for a selection - would Sir like one of the new American Vintage Telecasters, or perhaps a '59 VOS Les Paul? What happened in the end was that I had to surrender my guitar to him (which was actually alright for him since we both use Telecasters) leaving me to wing the rest of the set on the mandolin. Now, if you've ever tried to play a mandolin you'll know that it's a bit like a guitar except with half the scale length and a totally different tuning. Since I barely knew how to play any of the songs on guitar as it was, I really had to think on my feet and couldn't really enjoy the atmosphere of the gig that much because I was constantly thinking one bar ahead, going "How am I going to play that?"

What I actually did towards the end was resort to 5ths and a lot of distortion, reverb and tremolo-picking. It actually worked quite well and the mandolin is becoming a feature in more and more songs. Still, it remains the most nerve-wracking gig I've ever played.

FUZZY FLATPICKER σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Tombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #482
the hirsh
Unegistered User

First "Gig"

I don't think it even counts as a gig, but anyway...

Me and 2 friends had started playing guitar/bass about 6 months prior, so we were pretty bad. It was a school talent show and we were all 13 years old. We didn't have a drummer and our rhythm guitarist/singer was not very good at singing... it was terrible. We were playing on Line 6 Spyders on insane setting, it's a truly unbearable noise I learned after I played some real amps. We played one song, Ride The Lightning - Metallica.

All in all, it was terrible. I did nail the solo however, after just 6 months playing .
the hirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:55 AM   #483
Tessalate
Going to be the best.

This thread hasn't been used for a while so i guess im necroing it a bit, but the thread's too awesome to end. Please post more stories!

First Gig
Not really a gig as to an audtition for a gig, BUT we were performing to a crowd of 20-30 or so of singers and dancers.

So my band and i were auditioning for my school's talent show.My band consisted of
me- Rhythm/Lead guitar stuff Our bassist (Who joined about a week or two ago)Vocals and Our drummer

We all went over to the drummer's house that morning for ONE final practice. I had a bad case of diarhea and was feeling horrible. The day before, out lead singer had an allergic reaction to something and had to take sleeping pills the night before. As a result, she was feeling drowsy as hell and couldnt even stand.The drummer and bassist were calm and cool like all of em are

Fast forward to the audition.
We sat in the auditorium and waited for directions as other auditioners filed in. On the stage, another somehow was allowd to practiced (in obnoxiously loud volumes), so our drummer found me an outlet and i plugged myself in and started playing some of the catchiest lead stuff i could think of with my treble and gain and volume cranked up high. It was hilarious.

So after waiting through most of the (horrible) auditions, we finally went on stage. One of the supervisors convinced me to use the amp that was onstage because we needed the "right volume"
Bad idea. I went on stage and noticed that there wasnt even time for a sound check, which we needed really bad. (The drummer wasn't used to the school's set of acoustics, the bassist and i were using new amps) The school's amp was a lot better than mine to be honest, but i couldnt really understand all the settings. After 30 seconds of nothing, the band teacher came in and helped me out. I told him i needed the amp Really distorted.
He distorted it a bit, but told him again. "Really distorted" (The song we did usually had 2/10 treble, 8/10 gain and 8/10 bass) So he proceeded to distort it so bad it sounded like we were playing metal, which would be fine if we were, but we were just doing alternative rock. I just said screw it, this is good.

We started playing a cover, which starts with me playing 4 bars of 3 d shaped chords alone at the 15th, 9th, and 7th fret, then it gets repeated with the drummer and bassist coming in. I do it pretty fine, but when we were supposed to repeat it, i did a D at the 2 fret (normal D) instead of a D at the 15th.

This would normally be disastrous, BUT, lucky for me they were the same chord, just at a higher octave. So what do i do? I did a slide with the whole chord from second fret to 15 which ended up sounding alright with all the distortion.

Rest of the performance was a blur. When i asked our drummer what happened, all he could remember of me was me doing the "starpower thing" (I was putting on a bit of a show, the other bands didnt have stage presence AT ALL. Their guitarists and singers were sitting ffs)

At the end of the performence, we were supposed to all end really sharply, with me playing one chord and stopping right away, and lead singer saying the word "Star" quickly.The drummer forgot and kept going, so i let my chord ring out, and we looked at each other, and he slowly slowed down. When he stopped i played the chord quickly again and made it look intentional. We gave each other "The nod"
The audience was cold as hell. Usually that'd mean they didnt like you or something, but they cheered like hell for all the bad performances...

Long post, thanks if you read it

Last edited by Tessalate : 10-19-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Tessalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #484
thePTOD
UG Fanatic

Well I haven't had any stories worthy of sharing yet, but I'm REALLY bored, so I'm going to write about a couple gigs my best friend's old band had.

They were a metalcore band, and my best friend played bass and did backup screaming. They had a show at our town's youth center, and the band before them to play was this classical folky sounding band, they had a trumpet, a flute, a bass, and a harmonica I think.

Anyway, then my friend's band started setting up. At this time I was pretty much making fun of this band (With permission from my friend, the screamer was a douche, the guitarist didn't know anything, and the drummer was awesome but hated the band). Anyway, I was chilling out waiting for the band to start when I hear a gigantic chug, the guitarist is testing his volume. It hurt my ears.

Then they started their set, and I just heard this wall of noise. I couldn't even tell what notes the guitarist and bassist were playing most of the time because of so much feedback and their amp's tones were so darn muddy. The screamer couldn't hold a 'note' for more than 3 seconds and ran all over the stage trying to act like he was totes br00tal. I noticed after my ears tuned in that ALL OF THE RIFFS SOUNDED THE SAME. I was moshing around with my friend who came with me like a goof, but I was practically laughing throughout the gig at this general sight. My friend the bassist actually got some cool basslines in there, but overall it was just a funny show to watch.

Their next gig, I was hanging out waiting for them to get to the youth center and I was hanging out with some girls I knew (they're pretty good looking) and they were going on about how much they enjoyed the band, but I told them I didn't.

Then I get word that my friend had prom that night, so there was only three fourths of the band playing. They started setting up and it seemed that to compensate for a lack of bass, their guitarist practically doubled his volume from the first gig. The constant chugs and squealies he was 'warming up' with almost made me puke.

They started playing, and immediately I could tell they had little to no practice before hand. They constantly messed up, and the guitarist and drummer kept getting off time with each other in the first few songs. The girls and I were standing around and I was thinking about leaving. But then I see the looks on these guys' faces and they look like they're really upset because they were doing badly. This other band was going on after them, and they're a pretty known band, Dear Submarine. They were kind of picking on them.

So in their maybe second song, they got to their ending breakdown and the vocalist was waving to get people to mosh, and nobody was coming up. So I swallowed a little pride, pushed my way past the hot girls, and got up in front of them and started headbanging like a madman. After about 30 seconds of moshing by myself, the members from the other band started moshing out as well. I gave a 'I got your back' nod to the guitarist, who returned the favor (I think).

They seemed to do a bit better after that. Later I almost puked because of how much I jumped around coupled with a horrible headache, but I can say it was worth going. Plus it gave me something to talk to the girls about.

Fun fact: it was their last show, they only had 3, 1 of which was a music show at their school.
Originally Posted by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
thePTOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #485
chriscobonham
UG's Feminist bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePTOD
Fun fact: it was their last show, they only had 3, 1 of which was a music show at their school.

You should tell about The Invasion from the year before that...
chriscobonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #486
thePTOD
UG Fanatic

Oh dear, another time I will with details, it would cause too much laughing/pity from me

On a different day
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #487
Hades Factor

Its exams time for us varsity goers, so naturally unjustified procrastination ensues. Reading all of these posts about horrible first gigs , I feel privileged to have the band I had ( disbanded a few moths ago only 5 gigs in total, granted our last was in front of a decent 400 people on a fully-kitted-out-with-JVM900-stacks stage). We were known as Coup D' etat ( overthrow the power in French). Anyway our first gig was awesome, we have a local bar down the road which hosts a music night for some seasoned bands every week. We managed to get a gig their ( we cheated a bit our drummers dad just happened to run this muso night). So we practiced as a band quite a bit before the show so we were ready. we had four songs to play, now personally I am a Hardcore /metalcore/ instrumental fan ( Trivium , Gallows , Animals As Leaders etc) but I still cant live without the greats like Slayer and Pantera, but the band I was playing for is into JEW and stuff ( at least Creed too). I didnt mind though because it was fun to play basic songs that allowed for movement on stage. So we had 5 songs to play , 4 covers and 1 original : Song 2 by Blur, The Middle by JEW, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol ( **** that song), Paranoid by Black Sabbath and finally Get Back ( the original). Chasing was first and dam well aced it ( changed it up a shit load, added distortion the choruses, a solo and sped up the ending parts, but thats still not much to be proud of ). Our singer kept having these neck spasms which caused him to look like a spazzed out turkey ( entertainment I guess) . Loved the solos of Middle and Paranoid which were totally awesome. by the end of the night we had the bar full and singing the middle with us and song 2 ( really a crowd pleaser). so it was a great success no complaints. except for the fact that the bar was so full we were confined to a corner haha with me just about fondling the girls in front of me everytime I went up to play a solo ( no complaints )
Hades Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #488
thePTOD
UG Fanatic

Out of boredom I will continue part 2 of the story of my friend's band, however we will be going back in time to the spring of 2010 when they performed at a music show their school was putting on.

They had 3 guitarists, and one of their friends who can't play an instrument just stood on the stage doing nothing. Legitimately nothing. When it was their turn to play, they started into their first song, The Downfall Of Us All by A Day To Remember.
I couldn't tell what was happening during the intro at all, and at some point the drummer started going really fast and their singer just mumbled words incoherently and out of time. When their bassist was supposed to come in on backing vocals and do 'whoas' he just went 'w-' then cut off. The singer then proceeded to forget the words from the 2nd verse onward, and he jsut walked around in a 2x2ft square with his tight jeans and oversized shoes.
When they started their second song, My Apocalypse by Escape The Fate, things were going a bit better. The singer was even in time during the first verse (however he was not on pitch at all) The chorus came up fine, and then the second verse got everyone messed up. All I was hearing was this jumble of noise coming from the guitars and the singer.
Then the bridge to the song where they break it down and just hold some notes came, and it seemed like they were doing that part at least twice as long as in the actual song.

Then the guitar solo.

Their lead guitarist was supposed to start doing a tapping solo that went for I think 16 measures until the singer started screaming. The singer came in on the 5th measure. At this point I was laughing inside, and the guitarist looked like we was going to murder the vocalist.
They didn't even get to play their 3rd song, either because they were doing so poorly or because the solo performer before them played one too many of his prepared songs.

Thus ends the tale of that band, which at the time was called Aggro (puke)

On a different day
Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #489
Dave Frenzy

So here is the story of why I hate Orange Amps

It was my bands 3rd gig and we were playing our first bar. It was also our first experience with a promoter that we will call "Cactus". A few days before this gig we received a message from them saying that all we would need were drum breakables. This seemed very strange to me and a couple of the others in my band, due to the fact that every other gig we had played or were booked to play had mentioned the guitar and bass amp. We responded to this message by asking what the deal was with the amps. They ensured us that they had appropriate amplifiers for us to use.

We stupidly believed them...

It came to the day of the gig and it felt abit strange traveling without my Marshall JCM2000 half stack in the boot of my car, but I accepted this as a blessing because I wouldnt use nearly as much petrol getting there and I didnt have to worry about lugging it out my Ford Fiesta when we got there.

Arriving at the pub we went in to inspect the place. To our disappointing it was full of acoustic acts, indie kids and the elderly people that seem like they are the type that have "their own" corner of the bar. We could tell at this point that a hard rock band (female fronted or not) wouldn't go down too well in a place where Ed Sheran covers seem like they are played frequently. Putting this to the back of our minds, we went and got our guitars, Pedals, Cymbals and Snare our of our cars. We set them up and found a corner of the bar that we could keep them. We then went outside so that the smokers in the band could light up to start the pre-gig rituals.

while outside we saw more indie kids enter and heard the first act start playing. As predicted it was an acoustic act who was just covering the typical 4 chord songs that you find in todays chart. The likeness of us having a good gig got bleaker and bleaker until it was time for us to play. My best friend then turned up to show me some support before she had to go back to University again, so we all went inside to tune up before going on stage.

At this point me and our other guitarist (Zak) still hadnt inspected the amps we would be playing through. we wondered up to the stage being hopeful of a good set up. Zak was surprised to see the combo version of the amp he plays through normally, this pleased him since he knows exactly how to work it. I on the other hand had the opposite problem...

What I discovered was an Orange Rocker 30, A now discontinued amp that provides the perfect tone for indie bands that dont need an aweful lot of gain. This was a very big problem for me since my band is a hard rock act that has more in common with Metallica than it does with the Kaiser Cheifs. As I messed with the settings I struggled to get a sound that was acceptable enough for me to use without feeding back. At this point the promoter signaled the start of the gig and our drummer kicked into the first song.

30 minuets passed and we ended the set with the screech of more feedback caused by the cheap microphones and poor sound engineer. upon getting off stage my friend came up to me and mentioned that "next gig you play, you should turn your amp up abit, I couldnt hear any of your solo's", the problem was that the volume and Gain of this Orange was as high as it would go...

We packed up and exited the venue, but not before we over heard one of the pensioners from the bar say "God that was aweful".

And thats why I dont like Orange amps. The first time I used one it let me down. and I wont be using one every again.

The End.

Attic Green
My Band
Dave Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #490
thePTOD
UG Fanatic

I had my first gig ever with my band last night. We're a metal/metalcore band. We were scheduled to play 2nd but when we got there we had to play 1st because the other band wasn't ready (kind annoyed me because less people were there, but it was fine nonetheless)

We did our sound check, and then were getting prepared to start the show. When we were all ready, we started off our first song with no introduction. Within seconds we had a lot of our friends come forward and start headbanging, which really helped my confidence. Our first song went off pretty much without a hitch. Our second song was a cover (Purging of the Wicked by Sea Of Treachery) which, even though there was a somewhat major mistake in there, we fixed ourselves and nobody noticed. The rest of our set went quite well, all of us (except for our bassist a bit) got really loose and were rocking around enjoying ourselves. Our other guitarist had a wireless setup, so when we had a big solo or breakdown he would jump down and play in the crowd, it was awesome

Our fifth song was misery business, which turned out to be really fun. I did the singing vocals on that, but I more or less just yelled the words because I was getting so into it. I could see out of the corner of my eye a girl who I'd been through a lot with in the last couple months (who proceeded to just start ignoring me even though we were friends, bitch) was watching us and trying to look uninterested when she noticed I saw her.

Our sixth song had a couple little mistakes to it, but it happened to be the ONLY time we landed a transition nearly perfectly towards the end of the song Our seventh and last song turned out way more hardcore punk than I intended, since I was thrashing powerchords holding myself back from doing windmills xD

All of the guitar solos I had went well, save for the sweeping section of one because we were playing faster than we had practiced. Overall we had a ton of fun, and we have our second gig scheduled with 2 other bigger bands at the same place february 18th

On a different day
Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #491
Haydenr25

First Gig:

Actually about 8 months ago, it was set up by the school at a local bar. The bands are formed with students from the school, with the music teachers organising and making sure everything runs smoothly.

Coming towards the night of the gig, we had a day out of school to help set up for the night performance. We played with some brilliant gear, all provided by the school and the bar itself. A marshall half stack, an old Laney half stack and a beautiful Pearl drumkit. Bass amp was a crappy Behringer but sounded surprisingly good through the PA. Our band was on first. Truth be told, the first song went by in a flash and was quite bad. We did a cover of ''My Generation'' at about a speed that Slayer would play at. Second song was an original, an upbeat punk song that went pretty well. Last song was me singing lead vocals on a slower punk song. My singing was terrible but it was our tightest performance. We had the rest of the night to enjoy ourselves and relax. Great memories there and not bad for a first gig.
Haydenr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #492
thePTOD
UG Fanatic

I had my second gig last night.

The beginning of it sucked before we were playing because the outlets where we had to plug cords in for the mixer were incredibly tangled, and the sound guy had no idea what he was doing. Once had it set, we ended up having a really balanced sound.

We played 6 originals and a cover. Once of the originals was an improvised interlude the other guitarist and I did, which was pretty fun but I definitely needed to get better at. Our last song the drummer went nuts and played really fast on some parts but overall we saved the song. There were plenty more people there than at our first gig, and they all enjoyed us.

The other two bands that played were great even though they were heavier and has a bassier sound. Their guitar tones were somewhat fuzzier and less sharp than ours but they were also much louder...Overall though I had a great time and enjoyed the other two bands.

On a different day
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #493
not_that_guy

ok so i'm starting a band and my friend that wants to play bass only has a a regular 6 string acoustic, and no money to buy a bass. So i say yeah he can start up the band with me but he has to get his bass soon, he can play bass. So in order to do this i find out he conned his little brother of all his savings to afford the bass
not_that_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #494
Mithaearon
Grunger

There's a lesson to be learned from this so pay attention.

We had been asked to play a charity gig for Combat Stress and as this is something close to my heart as a good friend committed suicide due to it I agreed.

The "organiser" (and I use that word very very lightly) had asked to use our bands PA as the venue doesn't have one of their own. Not a problem, we have played that venue before a few times so knew what to expect.

The night consisted of 6 bands and the venue has to close at 11pm, opening doors at 5:30 with bands starting at 6.15pm so time was very tight. Each band would have 45 minutes, this included setup, pack down and playing time. The headlining act would have an hour. I was actually playing in two bands that night, my main established band and a side project I joined and have since not played in as I have no real interest in, playing covers, it's not my thing. Now weirdly this project had only just started up, had no real following but were put ahead of my actual band with a decent follow. The first sign that the "organsier" didn't know what the heck they were doing.

So anyway, the "organiser" asked me what time she should get there to let us in so we could set up the PA and sound check it and the bands. I said 3.30pm which would give me plenty of time to set the PA up without the need to feel stressed or rushed. I also said, knowing the venue, she would need to get there an hour before hand to move all the tables and chairs that are normally at the venue. Telling her its not our job to prepare the venue, that was her responsibilty.

We arrive at 3.30pm get some gear out of the van go to open the venue doors and, locked. So putting down the gear we have we knocked, no answer. The "organiser" isn't here, meaning that the venue hasn't been sorted, meaning that will need to be done before the PA can all be set up. Some of the other bands are beginning to turn up now with their equipment. FFS is all I am thinking. We try to call her phone, no answer so all we can do it wait....and wait and wait until at half four we saunters up the venue. "Sorry I am late I was making cupcakes". "OOh good the venue hasn't been sorted, the PA isn't sound up, no sound checks have been done, the doors open in an hour but at least we have cupcakes FFS" She didn't take to kindly to my comments I don't think, huffed and tutted as she unlocks the pass, goes upstairs (yep theres a flight of stairs to lug all the gear up) and says "oh the place is a mess with all the tables and chairs", "yep" I replied "It's what I told you you would have to sort out but you haven't". Now time is cracking on and it's not my job to sort the place up but I have no choice but to help. I say help, I mean do the whole thing as she is bubbleheading to her mates. I by now am so p'ed off. So by the time the venue is sorted, PA is set up and everything is working it's pretty much show time (infact by this time its 15 minutes late now being 5:45pm people are turning up) So I tell the organiser "there's no time to mic anything up and sound check the bands", "what do you mean sound check?" I just can't be bothered to explain so turn away and head to the bar to get a well earned drink I feel.

So the PA has been set up but is only being used for vocals. Not a problem played this venue times before and you can get away with that as long as the bands know this and adjust their volumes accordingly, its not a massive venue. Ideally a soundcheck to get these levels right but hey the "organiser" made cupcakes.

First band goes on, it's one I like and have gigged with before. No problems. Good set. Finish on time.

Second band goes on. I have watched these once before. I like them (or did) they are friends with the "organiser". End of their set they ask for more time. The "organiser" says yes sure. WT actual F?! I glare at her. Time is tight for this, as I say its a dead cut off at 11. THey play for an extra 20 minutes. I am so p'ed off now. Another drink.

Third band go on. My mates band. Good little outfit shame they have split up now. Luckily they haul arse on their set up time and shave 5 minutes off. Finish playing their time but we are still running late.

My main band is next. We haul arse and try to save some time. Now here is where it all goes horribly wrong (or more so). Now I am basically using all new equipment. New pedals, new guitar, new leads (apart from the patch cables linking the pedals). Now it was so new I hadn't even used it for practice yet. but hey I thought before hand, I can sort any problems out in the ample time we have before the gig, which we didnt get but hey the "organiser" made cupcakes. So we are all set up and we start. And its okay. There's sound. Phew. By the end of the song my new guitar is wacked out of tune. Grrr. Turn the tuning pedal on and retune. So far so good. Then it all goes to hell. New lead dies. no sound. quickly replace it during a song. seconds later no sound. I can tell I am getting a signal from the guitar as my tuning pedal is "hearing" it. its one of the patch cable, rip that out dont need that pedal. Sound again...for a minute then nothing. Another patch lead. Rip that out. By this time I am fuming with anger. This all would of been discovered if the "organiser" had been there on time. Yes it was my fault that I didn't check before the gig but it was all brand new. Theres still no sound, I am crawling round the floor frantically unplugging things, plugging things back in. Nothing. There's nothing I can do, I kick my mic stand over in a punk moment (it's my gear anyway) tell the band to carry on and lean back against the back wall. We ( I say we, the proverbial we) by this time are only half way through our set. It's at this point the "organiser" wanders over to me and asks my band to cut our set as they are running late. I flipped. Even with the music going people must of heard me scream "Yes you are f'ing running late 'cause you f'ing didn't turn up on time and then let your f'ing mates band go on over time" I removed my new guitar and throw it to the floor, hard. A large chipped of the body flies off. I don't care. I storm out. My side project band is on next. I don't care. I need a smoke. The others can packed down and the members of the side project band can set up. I am going to calm down.

On my way out I pass my "band mate" from the side project "where you goign?" he asks in a not too pleasent tone. "for a smoke need to get my head together"
"But we are on next."
"Yes I am aware of that, you guys can set up with out me, my amp is already there". I should point out I had my old guitar, leads and for this project only needed one pedal so I was actually pretty much all ready to go. Now I know this guy and he is a lazy sob. He doesn't do anything to set up or help out in anything he does (this is another reason why I decided the project isn't for me) so it was about time he did something. I later found out that he bad mouthed me whilst I was out. I smoked, calmed down, grabbed my spare gear went back in set up and was ready before the others anyway. No idea what they where doing in all that time. Anyway that set goes without a hitch.

Last band goes on. They have only just turned up so wouldnt of been able to sound check anyway but if things where mic'ed up there would have been at least some amount of control (actually there wouldn't, read on). Guess what? This band is also friends of the organiser, that's why they are headlining. They bring exactly 0 people with them except for their chavvy girlfriends. 0 fan base. That's good for the charity :rolls eyes:

Now things are running late now, and I point out, as the "organsier" hasn't that nothign is mic'ed up so they will have to adjsut their own volumes accordingly. Do they? Do they hell, they just cranked everythign up full volume and play. Now the bass is drowning everything out but even without that you still wouldn't be able to hear the vocals as the guitars would drown those out. The "organiser" looks and me and says "Can't you do anything about the sound we cant hear anything" (well you could but it was all one big mess). so I point out that because she was late busy making cupcakes there was no time to mic anything up except the vocals and that I had already told her that at the start. Not that it would of matter cause your mates band is playing so loud it would of over powered the PA and that even if I turned everything down at the PA it would still just end up sounding like this. I think they throught they were playing Wembly Stadium or something the volume they have it at.

Anyway it's 11pm and the venue owner pulls the plug. The band is only halfway through their set. Sweet justice I think to myself. Doesn't matter anyway, the band had successfully managed to empty the place except for their chavvy wags.

I do a fast pack down and load up and get the hell out of dodge, going home with mates to drink and try to put this nightmare behind me.

Now, I am not going to tell you the lesson of this story it's for you to figure out. Oh and if you are still reading all of this, have a cupcake.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #495
Mithaearon
Grunger

Ha, just looking through FB pictures of me and found one of me someone took of me leaning against the wall at teh above horror story gig looking all p'ed off. I think the look on my face says it all

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #496
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Mithaeron, great story dude about working with crappy organisers and having to bear their mistakes. However the technical issues in the first set are mysterious, I reckon that would have happened even if everything went smooth, but you could have founs and dealt with the problem better if you weren't in such a crappy mood.

Can I assume that when you checked all the gear at home it all worked ok?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #497
Mithaearon
Grunger

Yeah no matter what the tech issues would of happened. When I did check everything at our next rehearsal it was all fine but I have sinced replaced all the patch cables anyway with better quality ones and have been gigging with that set up every since. I have learnt that when using new gear no matter what test it thoughly no matter what before hand.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #498
tsukihimeblood

I'm still recovering from these past couple of days. So many incredible bands and great sets.

Saturday
Rimjob, Night Creation, Parasitical, Burial Ritual, Torn the **** Apart

I somehow wake up at six in the morning, which is unusual since I don't even get out of the bed until 8:30 on workdays. I've got a text from our other guitarist warning about serious storms and tornadoes today. This is kind of a bummer since we have to load up all of our gear and drive down to Kansas City to play a show. We decided **** it, we'll just leave early and hope to beat the storm. So he picks me up to get the trailer and we go down to the practice house.

We get everything loaded and ready to go but we are still missing our drummer. He hasn't been responding to his phone and the storm clouds were a'brewin. Eventually we decide to pick his lazy ass up. An hour later we get out on the road towards Kansas City in the midst of a great storm. We can't see 20 feet in front of us for the first leg of the journey until we hit sunlight.

We get to Kansas City with a good 3-4 hours before the show. We take a look at the stage (biggest we've played yet) and then go out to find some food. After some hamburgers and a moderate amount of booze it's about time for the show to start. First two bands play (Rimjob and Night Creation) and people are getting fired up. Then it's our turn. Things start out great as I play my first soundcheck where I don't feel like a total douche. Maybe you know how it usually goes, asked to make noise - mind blanks and can't muster anything but chuggas. NOT THIS TIME.

Anyway, we start off with our industrial tracks which is just a hard beat while we do some powerchord get-pumped kind of stuff. Then we immediately go into one of our more brutal tracks to good reaction. Set goes smoothly, we see some moshing, end the show with Hammer Smashed Face. This has been a great set. Afterwards, I get mistaken for a literal pimp, fend off some crazy homeless people, and get crazy in the Torn the **** Apart pit.

Monday
From Below, Dundee Strangler, Parasitical, Byleth, Rings of Saturn, Decrepit Birth, Cattle Decapitation

At this point I'm still pretty worn-out from the last show and work is pissed that I'm coming in late and leaving early. Oh well, metal. Start unloading gear at 3:30 and chill with the other bands until doors open. We play third again and despite yanking my cord out, putting it back in, and then yanking it right back out we had a good set. Then Burial Ritual and Cattle Decapitation played and melted my god-damned brain. After the show we hang out and smoke a bunch with Travis and Derek from Cattle D.

I don't get back home until 5am and I'm supposed to be up at 8 for work (got up around 9, heh).

Tuesday
Arkaik, Abysmal Dawn, Exhumed, Cannibal Corpse

Alright, so I didn't play this one but I'll be damned if this wasn't a great finish to an awesome weekend of metal.

Last edited by tsukihimeblood : 04-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.
tsukihimeblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #499
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Played our school talent show earlier this evening, and the only things I'm really peeved about are my gear pooping out on me, and some of the judges decisions on placement: Me and a friend from choir played "So Excited" by SRV, with me on lead guitar, him on bass, and our choir teacher and accompanist on drums and piano. So, first off, I flub my greeting to the audience, we get some laughs, all in good fun, but my amp is taking a bit to warm up, on top of that, I started into it well, getting a big applause after the pre-show awkwardness, but my pedal cable crapped out, forcing me to get down and fumble with it, this lasted for maybe 30 seconds or so, but I came back in pretty strong, I'm just really dissapointed about my cables falling in at such a bad time, that, and my incredible lack of stage charisma, but my buddy and teacher were really tight, so there was that. But I'm not mad that we didn't place, I feel like there were so many excellent players/dancers/acts that weren't even mentioned, and they blew a lot of the winning acts out of the water, but, you can only learn. All in all, I feel like everythingbut my playing went wrong, and I think we could've had a better chance had my cables been more reliable.

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Bluesblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #500
Redstar5wp
i like cats

My band played a gig a few years ago in a pub in one of the rough areas out of town. When we got there the stage was tiny, the lights were Christmas lights and there was no proper sound system or any engineer whatsoever (we had to rig up what was there ourselves).

We started sound-checking and one of the rowdy locals by the bar, working class northern 50 year old types, who has no interest whatsoever in seeing our youthful indie pop/math-rock, wandered over and told us if we didn't stop the racket immediately he'd take our instruments and smash them over our heads.

Naturally we gave up on soundcheck, downed our free pint of Carlsberg each, played our set at five times the speed (messing up absolutely everything along the way out sheer terror) and ran the hell out of there.

Never wanted to be on stage any less in my life. Worst. Gig. Ever.
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Redstar5wp is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: