Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #41
UtBDan
BA of Music Theory

First gig:

was a ticket contest at the Empress Ballroom in Connecticut. We won the ticket contest, but only cause our vocalist bought 50 tickets and we sold 69 fair and square. 69 still may have won, but, you get the idea. It was us (funky-alternative), this other funky rock band (Deep Chemistry), and then your typical "I wish I were punk, punch me" "I think I'm metal" crowd. The metalheads and the punk guys actually enjoyed us - I was suprised.

I screwed up a little in the first song. No one noticed.

On our last song, our vocalist forget the words and we fell apart for a solid 5, 6 seconds. He recovered by just going back into the chorus, us following his lead, and then picking up where we left off.

We did 2 covers. THe cover of Low Rider seems to make everyone happy.

After the show, we talked to the guys from Deep Chemistry. They recognized me as "sick bassist with the musicMan". I was instantly happy.

We won a much much better PA and PA speakers than what we had.

Overall, a very good experience.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, upright bass -> GK 700RBII, Ampeg 8x10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
UtBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:54 PM   #42
Citiz3n 3ras3d
*****in'

I finally have a story to tell!

So yeah,my first gig was today.It was at our friend's house party.The party started at 12,and we were supposed to go on at 3:30.Me and the drummer got there at 11 AM.Our guitarist didn't know he was supposed to come at 11(Which was kinda bad,as he had my amp,the PA,wires,ect.).But anyway,he shows up,and we start setting up.It was probably the longest,hottest,and boring 3 and a half hours any of us had to go through.Through little periods,me and the guitarist would do little Tap-offs just to do a little fun something.Finally,we were just like "Fuck it.Let's do it" and went on at about 3.We went through an intro,a full band version of Good Riddance,3 originals,a RENT cover,and the acoustic Good Riddance.As an encore,we did a messy version of The Emo Song(I'm sure you've all heard it).The messiness sort of added to the funniness.People seemed to really like us.And a big local band was there(Shoot The Lights,incase you Long Islanders know 'em) who said we were good,and actually played 2 songs with our equipment.So,all-in-all,I'd say all that practicing really is worth it,so all you kids who don't like practicing,I say to you,"bitchplz."
Citiz3n 3ras3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #43
doggy_hat

I was at a concert with punk bands. and after a song the singer says "who here nows the words to ice ice baby ice". After a while of no responses. The bass started the ice ice song, and the just started making up words. I found it quite humerous.

Also when I went to go see Casualties, Anti-Flag and the Unseen. The Unseen probably said this is our last song about 4 times.
doggy_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #44
.N30C0N.
Jesus is my home-boy!

I remember one time.. My friends brother and his friends had a gig.. My friend said that they were really good and I should come with them to one of there gigs. I did. And it was the funniest thing I seen in my entire life. The bass player was doing one of those twirls with the guitar and one of the strap locks came off and hit the bass drum. It ripped a gouge about 7 inches in Diameter.. The Drummer kept on going and I seen his lips say. What in the ****!?
It was so funny
.N30C0N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #45
SetMyAngerFree

this has nutin 2 do with the conv. but in open d tuning how du you use a tuner to get f#
SetMyAngerFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #46
SetMyAngerFree

by the way, i think hawthorne heights sucks, too
Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #47
JadeFalcon5
UG's Manhoe. =/

lol this wasnt me, but for the schoolwide talent show, a kid didnt know why his guitar wasnt working, (he was gonna playing some rock medly thing(it sucked much)) and for 10 minutes he was just lookin at his amp and stuff (crowd was like Wtf mate) and then someone comes onstage and plugs in his friggin guitar

sooo glad that wasnt me
Atheism.-----------------------------

Check out
My Veil of Maya cover (its not safe to swim today)
JadeFalcon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #48
SetMyAngerFree

that mustve been hilarious
Old 04-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #49
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFalcon5
lol this wasnt me, but for the schoolwide talent show, a kid didnt know why his guitar wasnt working, (he was gonna playing some rock medly thing(it sucked much)) and for 10 minutes he was just lookin at his amp and stuff (crowd was like Wtf mate) and then someone comes onstage and plugs in his friggin guitar

sooo glad that wasnt me

Haha. Reminds of the talent show we had in school last year. It was myself on guitar and vocals, my current bass player (on bass, duh) and my brother drumming. We did Rockin' In The Free World, and before we started playing, I tested the mic., and just twanged the guitar strings. It took about 5 minutes to realise that there was no sound coming out of the guitar because the amp was off. Oh goodness, that was embarrasing...
SomeEvilDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #50
woodenbandman
Likes Dragonforce

Location: San Francisco. Member of the following: Peavey is Awesome, I Love Pignose Amps, Tone Phreaks, And Queen Fan clubs.
Thumbs up

the first gig:

it was at the school talent show, the first one ever. the house was packed on the day show, which is good, because the night show was empty and horrible. during the night show, my monster cable shorted out before we started Come Together. the next song went okay, and i went home very nervous. the day show was just super great. no cables blew out, i only for got one word in the lines, and my flangy distortiony solo went great. We traded off a bit for Walking on Sunshine, and my cable, sure enough, popped out. damn school guitars. but nevertheless, those bitches in the audience, whom i now own, clapped and waved their cellular phones. we are now scheduled for city hall on may 10th and have recorded our songs onto CD. next step is of course to write a song.

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
woodenbandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #51
Boghead

the gig i got kicked out of the school jazz band:

in the middle of the song i busted out the tapping bit off eruption
Boghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #52
andrewroudny

Gotta love getting kicked out of the school band for playing Van Halen. You have my eternal admiration man.

Anyway, here's my worst/funniest gig story:

I was looking for a side project to do between bands, so I responded to an ad in the paper for a vocalist/songwriter seeking rythm guitarist. I called the guy up and he said he's been writing songs for this female singer and they're gonna do an album, and would I like to play on it. So I said we should jam a few of their tunes first and see what she sounds like.

So they ask me to meet them at a small bar for a jazz jam one night. I get in there, and the place is very "jazz". Quiet band playing, tablecloths, candles, etc. So I meet the guy I talked to on the phone, and he hands me a book and says "here's what we're playing", and I look down and it's "Power of Love" by Celine Dion. So I look up at him and say, "we're going to play a nice, quiet, subdued version of this song, right?".

"Sure, of course, quiet"

Well, we get up there, take the instruments form the house band and start playing. I'm going very soft and slow. And for the verse, it's alright. The singer (a middle-aged phillipino woman in white heels and a white nylong jacket that says "Vegas" - I should have known) is singing pretty well. But man, when that chorus comes in, she rears back and ****in BELTS IT OUT in this tiny jazz bar. I could hardly keep playing I was laughing so hard. People were looking at her as if she had eight heads!

So the house band guitarist comes up to me after the song to get his guitar back and says, with a seriousness you can't deny, a total lack of any kind of sense of humour "That should never happen here.", and yanks the guitar out of my hands.

Man, that was funny as hell.

Cheers,
Andrew Roudny
www.andrewroudny.com
andrewroudny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #53
JadeFalcon5
UG's Manhoe. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewroudny
Gotta love getting kicked out of the school band for playing Van Halen. You have my eternal admiration man.

Anyway, here's my worst/funniest gig story:

I was looking for a side project to do between bands, so I responded to an ad in the paper for a vocalist/songwriter seeking rythm guitarist. I called the guy up and he said he's been writing songs for this female singer and they're gonna do an album, and would I like to play on it. So I said we should jam a few of their tunes first and see what she sounds like.

So they ask me to meet them at a small bar for a jazz jam one night. I get in there, and the place is very "jazz". Quiet band playing, tablecloths, candles, etc. So I meet the guy I talked to on the phone, and he hands me a book and says "here's what we're playing", and I look down and it's "Power of Love" by Celine Dion. So I look up at him and say, "we're going to play a nice, quiet, subdued version of this song, right?".

"Sure, of course, quiet"

Well, we get up there, take the instruments form the house band and start playing. I'm going very soft and slow. And for the verse, it's alright. The singer (a middle-aged phillipino woman in white heels and a white nylong jacket that says "Vegas" - I should have known) is singing pretty well. But man, when that chorus comes in, she rears back and ****in BELTS IT OUT in this tiny jazz bar. I could hardly keep playing I was laughing so hard. People were looking at her as if she had eight heads!

So the house band guitarist comes up to me after the song to get his guitar back and says, with a seriousness you can't deny, a total lack of any kind of sense of humour "That should never happen here.", and yanks the guitar out of my hands.

Man, that was funny as hell.

Cheers,
Andrew Roudny
www.andrewroudny.com

lmao dude

like, just randomly yelling kinda singing? lol
Atheism.-----------------------------

Check out
My Veil of Maya cover (its not safe to swim today)
JadeFalcon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #54
heiltalker2006
UG's talkbox guru

I was playing Silent night for a school Christmas thing and before I was practicing and kicked in my overdrive and played smoke on the water and the church doors opened just as I did and the entire school + parents + the old people that come out to those things for no reason heard it.

now I'm famous

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
heiltalker2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #55
rockminister

rockminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #56
rockminister

Bla-bla-bla

lol
rockminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #57
Conky420
UG Fanatic

Location: Member #6 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join.Member #3 of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub. Follower of The Curch Of Gilmour, pm happytimeharry to join
damn, this is that time of night where spammers overflow the place, like that guy who just asked about tuning in a GIG story thread, then right ater ssaid hawthorne heights sucks (im sure they do just has nothing to do with the topic)

Edit: it was in someones sig but damn dont double post, we have an edit button u know
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
Conky420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #58
Dr. No
UG Addict

Ok, so I had my first 'gig' last night. It was a type of thing that shows off what you child learned from Hooiser Dad's (place where I get my lessons).

Well, let's see, when I got there, only 6 other kids had an electric guitar (I had my strat). My teachers other student and I were the only ones doing improv lead work, while everyone else was doing chords and whatnot.

I was the only one who stood up on stage and moved around got into it, most students looked like they were in pain. I really wasn't nervous because I knew I could play. And thats what happened I got up looked like a nerd, played my lead, infact I sorta took an extended solo thankfully my teacher told me it was the end. Overall its fun, if you have confidence in your playing, get up there and play.
Dr. No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #59
taxman27
UG's Quadrophenic

Location: Fixing a hole where the rain gets in, to stop my mind from wandering.
My first "gig" was a school talent show with my former band. It was me and my friend on guitar, another friend on drums, and another friend on vocals (there was no bass). We were originally going to do "Are You Gonna Be My Girl", but they wouldn't let us do it because they were afraid of sexual themes (yeah, my grade school pretty much sucked), so we ended up doing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" instead (How they chose that over the first one, I don't know) along with "Badger", a hard rock version of a cartoon that's on the Internet. We had a scare at the beginning of school because our vocalist almost didn't show up, but he came in late so it was alright. So we begin with "Teen Spirit". Unfortunate, the drummer can barely hear us, so we get drastically off time, but we make a very good recovery and we finish the song out alright. Then we go into "Badger". Our other guitarist starts playing the riff we made up for it very slowly, stops, drummer counts "1,2,3,4" and then we go balls out into it. Me and the other guitarist are riffing, while our drummer is hitting the skins as hard as humanly possible, while our vocalist screams and goes crazy. It is the coolest thing ever. Then our principal tells us that there is some time left and we can play some more. Under normal circumstances, that would be awesome, but we didn't have much else. Scrambling, we just jammed on "Smoke On The Water" and "Back In Black", and we played a very bad version of "Another Brick in the Wall", but we had learned about 1 1/2 weeks earlier, so it was alright.
or be an outcast

The Who- "Cut My Hair" from the album Quadrophenia
taxman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #60
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd

Location: Lake Crystal, Minnesota - Interesting fact: there are only 3 Galaga cabinets in the entire state :)
This actually just took place on Tuesday (2 days ago), so it's a pretty fresh story:
School talent show. My "band" knew about it only about a week in advance, so we needed to get some songs laid down fast. So we decided we'd open with two of our pep band songs (hey, we figured if we already knew 'em, it'd be better than having to learn 'em; plus everybody knows them): "Crazy Train" followed by "Sunshine of Your Love". Super-shortened versions, yet Crazy Train still had the wicked awesome guitar solo delivered by me.
Okay, let me just explain the lineup:
Me: Guitar
My friend Patrick: Bass
My friend Landon: Drums
My friend Isaiah: (Patrick's) Keyboard
Anyway, the first two songs got everybody (all 350 kids; oh boy ) pumped. So then we did a bold thing and played an original. We called it "Heart Attack", and let me tell you why:
It starts off with Isaiah hitting a few notes on the keyboard to imitate a heart monitor. He then sustains the note, giving that dead feeling, and then I come in with the main riff. Everyone else follows 4 measures later. It's got all the elements of a nice little song: catchy, short, and it had a good solo. But the icing on the cake was our finale that Patrick and I came up with just a couple days before. We do one of those prolonged endings where the drummer just rolls the cymbals, the guitarist just strums the chord over and over, and the bassist just hits one note repeatedly. Then Patrick turns to me, hits a couple notes and jerks back, as if shooting me. I fall down "dead" on stage. He walks up and points the head of the bass right at my chest. Landon yells "Clear!" Patrick plays a note, jerks back, and I hit the chord and, basically, hump the air to give the impression that I've been de-fibbed. We do this three times. The song ends. It was really fun.
Then just Landon and I did Moby Dick. Right away I realized that I was a tad bit too quiet, but I decided Oh, what the hell. It's his song anyway, not mine, right? So he goes into this mesmerizing 8 minute drum solo or something like that. I couldn't believe how he kept it so interesting. He had toms even behind him, and he went a good couple of minutes just on 6 different toms or so. Needless to say, at the end of the song, he threw his sticks out into the crowd and I'm not kidding, there must've been a solid 2 or 3 minutes of standing ovation.
I'm on stage thinking to myself, "Damn it! I've got to top this guy with a guitar solo? Not happenin'!" Landon announces me, he leaves the stage, and I'm up there all by myself, thinking even then that we should've put Landon after me.
My solo consists of 3 parts: The first part is "Am I Evil" by Diamond head up through the first solo. About 2 minutes or so, I think. Probably less. The second part is the middle solo in Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker". Keep in mind that I'm nailing these perfectly (well, at least I think I am ). Then the third part is the final solo to "Am I Evil", along with a little shortened version that gets me to the end of the song with no bore. Hey, they cheer, so I'm happy. As the curtain closes, I go up to Landon and say, "Damn it, you did better than I did," jokingly but it was true. Either way, we both did great, and all I wanted to do was get up there and rock. It wasn't a popularity contest for me.
Being only 2 days old, the winner has yet to be announced. First place gets $50, and if we win it (which I think we will), we'll use it towards our band fund. Just today we got asked to play for an upcoming school dance: 1 hour, $150. I think we're gettin' somewhere.

My Youtube Channel
SethMegadefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: