Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
#1 nirvana fan
SNARF!!!!!

Location: southern and central California... member #8 of the 'melons are really awsome and stuff club'... member #124 of the 'linkin park sucks club'
My soon to be band

ok, so the other day i met a guy and found out that he played guitar. So we exchanged phone numbers and yesterday, had a jam session. we are hoping for a ska band and, its just hard to start a good band, you know, gettin everyone organized. another thing is that i promised id start a band with another friend, so i was wondering if its possible to have a band with three guitarists. Any tips are welcome. also i kind of need help starting my own ska beat, so can you please help me?

thanks
#1 nirvana fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
sheratonplyr369
UG's drunk uncle

find a time of the week when you guys are all open, and just meet at a designated practice area at that time every week. And for the other question, well, Lynyrd Skynrd had 3 guitarists in the early days didn't they?
sheratonplyr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
thedoc40
Provocateur

just dont end up like hawthorne heights and their three guitarists, its plausable to have three but not practical. maybe one could play bass?
thedoc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:29 AM   #4
Dutch_Apples
UG's Career Advisor

We had a similar problem with our band. We had 2 guitarist, but one quit because of a job and we hired another guy. Then the guitarist who quit said he wanted to come back so we had to make a decision. We ended up firing a long time guitarist for us for professional reasons and the other guy left with him because of friendship. But he recently came back which was a problem because I play guitar for our cover set along with the other guitarist. 3 guitars would be too much, so we made a deal that I would play lead guitar for our cover gigs and the guitarist who came back would play guitar with our other guitarist for the original gigs while I play synths.

You should ask someone to switch to bass though. It seems like bass players are hard to come by in all areas! It also wouldn't hurt to jam with 3 guitars to see what it sounds like.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
Trivium101
Banned

3 guitarists is fine im in a band with 3 guitar players!!
Trivium101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
the1

get one to play bass if it doesnt work out.
It depends, you could have alot of nice harmonies!
the1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
#1 nirvana fan
SNARF!!!!!

Location: southern and central California... member #8 of the 'melons are really awsome and stuff club'... member #124 of the 'linkin park sucks club'
we already have an awsome bass player, but good ideas.

thanks for posting
#1 nirvana fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
The Who #1

The Yardbirds had three great guitarist and sounded very good I'd say its alright.
The Who #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Shadow_Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Who #1
The Yardbirds had three great guitarist and sounded very good I'd say its alright.

when did they have three? they had two with clapton, two with beck, a time when beck and page worked together, and then page by himself.
Shadow_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
shadesofanger
UG'S PIMP

Whitechapel and Iron Maiden.

A saw a few people on the Metal forum just talk **** about Whitechapel and how they were pointless because they had 3 guitarists. I guess they just don't hear the harmonies they have like in Father of Lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
shadesofanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

well my first advice is you got to commite to it, every step of the way. cause if you don't it woll fall apat, like my band, which at the moment consiss of 2 guitarists and a bassest, but me nd the bass guy are the only ones who ever do anything. second,find a drummer and fast, without the beat you will not get very far.

3 guitarist, seems like alot, i couldn't play with three.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
JesterShred

I find that really the trick to having three guitarists is writing music accordingly. same with all instruments, it can be way overload, but if you all share the load you can come out with something quite incredible, it's very difficult to be simple with three players, but it's alot of fun... i was in a metal band with three guitarists, we played strange harmony progressions, and accounted for it though, so some of it worked out some was way too much... good ears in all is a must and even one ego can throw everything out of wack quickly and easily... but it's fun when it gets going.
JesterShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Zycho

Ska bands don't need 2 guitarists let alone 3. Unlike your standard band you're also going to have a horn section. If you can pull it off good for you but I'd suggest dodging the headache and going for 2 or even 1 guitarist.
Zycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
q1w2e4r4
Musician and Geek

Three guitarists?

Rhythm and harmonizing leads...?

That's all well and good in power metal and such, I guess...
q1w2e4r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
slaptasticdave
UG's honest Abe

Why the hell is this still open its 4 years old, and someone warn The Who #1 about necroposting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
slaptasticdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaptasticdave
Why the hell is this still open its 4 years old, and someone warn The Who #1 about necroposting.

woa, totally didn't notice that, i feel dumb now
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #17
shadesofanger
UG'S PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
woa, totally didn't notice that, i feel dumb now

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
shadesofanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
Souls United

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc40
just dont end up like hawthorne heights and their three guitarists, its plausable to have three but not practical. maybe one could play bass?

hh is amazing
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: