Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
trey-col89
the angry young man
 
trey-col89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gamehendge
Best songwriter (musically)

Who in your opinion is the most talented songwriter musically? Just forget about lyrics for a second. I personally think Billy Joel is the greatest. All of his arrangments are fantastic. Captain Jack, Ballad of Billy The Kid, Angry Young Man... the list goes on. Not only did he write all of his piano lines, but he wrote all of the guitar licks and progressions, all of the bass lines, and everything else that goes with the songs. Listen to the song Summer, Highland Falls for some of the greatest musicianship and songwriting ever... its probably the most beautiful song I've ever heard.
__________________
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
trey-col89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Peaceful Rocker
Banned
 
Peaceful Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
John Lennon, hands down
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
slash_015
Der_Mauerfahrwerk!
 
slash_015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Germany
oh yeah John Lennon...great. That's right!!!
__________________
Knedl mid Soß. Des moga!
slash_015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Raider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Jimi Page...The Best
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
nighttrain
Registered User
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: canada
jimmy page,nikki sixx and johnny cash
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
UNIe
Registered User
 
UNIe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
I really think it's Jimmy Page. Hats off
__________________
click for charity
Lietuvis?! Prisijunk:
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lietuva/
UNIe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
trey-col89
the angry young man
 
trey-col89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gamehendge
Right... Jimmy Page.... would any of you care to explain why you think that?
__________________
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
trey-col89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Prophet of Page
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Galway, Ireland.
Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, John Lennon, George Harrison, Frank Zappa.
__________________
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Prophet of Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #9
trey-col89
the angry young man
 
trey-col89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gamehendge
Man... Billy Joel gettin' no love? Why so hard?
__________________
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
trey-col89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
TimiHendrix33
.
 
TimiHendrix33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Jeff Beck
John Lennon
Johnny Cash
Frank Zappa
Syd Barret
__________________
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
TimiHendrix33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
Peaceful Rocker
Banned
 
Peaceful Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Jimmi Page wrote the guitar parts for Leds stuff, and we aren't talking about the best guitarist.. songwritting, meaning lyrics.. and the overall layout of the song.
So saying Jimmi Page is almost as bad is that one idiot that thought ozzy was in acdc.. lol
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #12
nighttrain
Registered User
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey-col89
Right... Jimmy Page.... would any of you care to explain why you think that?


uhhh....hmmmm.....BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #13
trey-col89
the angry young man
 
trey-col89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gamehendge
No... NOT lyrics... did you not read my first post. This is STRICTLY about the musical aspect, forget the lyrics.
__________________
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
trey-col89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
trey-col89
the angry young man
 
trey-col89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gamehendge
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain
uhhh....hmmmm.....BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK

And this makes him the greatest musical songwriter because? He was an average guitarist and an alright songwriter, but just because he's "JIMMY ****IN PAGE" doesn't mean shit.
__________________
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
trey-col89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #15
nighttrain
Registered User
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey-col89
No... NOT lyrics... did you not read my first post. This is STRICTLY about the musical aspect, forget the lyrics.


lyrics or music...BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #16
nighttrain
Registered User
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: canada
i bet the only reason you said billy joel is because his name is so close to that fag in green day.and how many piano players did billy joel inspire?about 2?how many guitarists did jimmy page inspire?about 25,000.jimmy page wins
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #17
trey-col89
the angry young man
 
trey-col89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gamehendge
Not to mention Jimmy Page lifted most of his work from older blues artists
__________________
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
trey-col89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #18
nighttrain
Registered User
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey-col89
Not to mention Jimmy Page lifted most of his work from older blues artists


so?it made him great,did you know chick berry didnt write his own music or songs?johnnie johnson did,but it still made chuck great
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #19
trey-col89
the angry young man
 
trey-col89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gamehendge
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain
i bet the only reason you said billy joel is because his name is so close to that fag in green day.and how many piano players did billy joel inspire?about 2?how many guitarists did jimmy page inspire?about 25,000.jimmy page wins

Have you ever actually listened to Billy Joel? Probably not. I'm sorry you need to resort to name calling and insulting to prove your point, I wasn't aware you are 12 years old.
__________________
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
trey-col89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #20
nighttrain
Registered User
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: canada
iwasnt aware i was 12 either.and yes i have listened to billy joel and he sucks
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.