Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
SOADfan2021

No leader in a band

i honestly think that here isnt and shouldnt be a "leader" in a band cuz a band isnt nothing withount the other. So it doesnt make sence to have 1 basist and 1 guitarist withount a drumber. Every1 contributes and works as one. Sounds pretty dam cheezy but its true. anyone with me?
SOADfan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
xrawrockkillsx
Im Back Baby!

mmmm no....

the singer is always the leader, thats why hes called the frontman. sure theyre all important (besides bassist ) but whatever singer says, goes. thats how it is, thats how its been, and thats how it will always be.
xrawrockkillsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:29 PM   #3
Bulletbass man
Banned

your the singer in your band aren't you. i was the singer and lead guitarist and songwriter but i still gave pretty much everyone a say. Usually they all agreed with me but when they didn't we just kinda put it aside.
Bulletbass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
SOADfan2021

yea i am lead guitarist and vocals(kinda like system) i always hear wat my band has 2 say
Old 12-24-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
cokesodanotdrug
Lisence restricted

Location: Near a water source Member #2 of the Official I Hate Guns N' Roses Club
the leader of the band is the singer as said, it is very important. Yes obviously you don't make decisions by yourself you consult the band, but it's still important, as the leader you've got to inform the band of any upcomming decisions you'll have to make like gigs and ****, make sure dates work, now, don't take it like you've gotta do all this, you can tell people to tell you when they're available to practice and ****

Basically, you're the guy to go to to help sort stuff out. I dunno..

and it's drummer, not drumber...punk....sounds like you have a plumber for a drummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
cokesodanotdrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
SOADfan2021

#1 stfu about how i spell, #2 the singer doesnt always do the informing, take system of a down for example, shavo the bassist does all the managing for gigs and signings
Old 12-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
KENZI

if you're a solo performer you have all the say, if you are with somebody as a duo then you have half the say. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cropper
. A powerchord is like ripping the expensive hardwood floor out of a room. The room still serves its purpose but dosen't look as nice. Unless you like carpet.
KENZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
Zamboni
is moist.

Saying that "whatever the singer says, goes" is just plain ridiculous. I doubt a band will stay together very long if that's how the singer views his position in the band.

Everyone in the band has a say, all that matters is the intelligence behind the band. If, let's say, the lead guitarist is the smartest money-wise, he'll be the one pounding out the deals with the venue managers. If the bass player has the best connections, he'll be the one finding a lot of the gigs. It's all relative, and it varies between each and every band.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
greensand
UG Parasite

i think the songwriter(s) (not necessarily the singer) has the most say.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #10
flamencogod

well I think that's different in every band.

I'm my band (I hate to say MY band but hey...):

I'm leadguitar and songwriter and basically decide everythink concerning music, photo's and such.
my little brother plays second guitar and he does quit a lot of managing... looking for new gigs etc.
our bassplayer does everything concerning the website and know everything technicall about our PA system
our drummer does a bit of everything...
our singer... well she's pretty much our fromwoman...

but the most important thing is... we all work together and love making our music. playing great shows. We have a lot of respect for eachother

www.newpokerface.com
flamencogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:22 PM   #11
deusexbass2150

Well in my band we dont have a leader as such but whoever makes up the main part for the song and has a vision of what he wants the song to look like is kinda like the leader for that song but we all pitch in with ideas to adapt it to make it better if ya know what i mean but i guess its up to the band itself and as flamencogod said it differs from every band.

i got you a *reported*
deusexbass2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #12
cold_static544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
Saying that "whatever the singer says, goes" is just plain ridiculous. I doubt a band will stay together very long if that's how the singer views his position in the band.

Everyone in the band has a say, all that matters is the intelligence behind the band. If, let's say, the lead guitarist is the smartest money-wise, he'll be the one pounding out the deals with the venue managers. If the bass player has the best connections, he'll be the one finding a lot of the gigs. It's all relative, and it varies between each and every band.

yes, that's very true. Musically, the lead guitarist for my band takes charge, as for the technical issues (equipment, money etc.), another guy, our so called "manager" does that.

and its called distorting
cold_static544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:39 AM   #13
joshsirjoshules
UG Newbie

To all you dumbasses saying that the singer is the leader, can you think of one band where the singer has been the leader that hasn't broken up? That's because there hasn't been one. More often than not, they are the most conceited ones in the group and think that everything is his/her vision. Having the singer in charge of everything simply does not work.

I've always wanted to be the leader of the band, but here's how I would go about it. I might write the bulk of the songs but I would completely open to the rest of the bands writing songs as well. We each could/would sing our own songs. We would play them no matter if the other people in the band liked them or not, because songs can grow on you and there's always room to improve on a song. Equal share in money and whatnot as well. Decisions on image go by vote. Just my philosophy, if you don't agree, that's fine.
joshsirjoshules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:05 AM   #14
nullet210

what do u do if u only had 2 guitar players and a drummer no singer no bass player like we are im the lead guitar player so im leader?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #15
Freunleven
Flying Monkey King

Pot

Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #16
greensand
UG Parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsirjoshules
To all you dumbasses saying that the singer is the leader, can you think of one band where the singer has been the leader that hasn't broken up? That's because there hasn't been one. More often than not, they are the most conceited ones in the group and think that everything is his/her vision. Having the singer in charge of everything simply does not work.

I've always wanted to be the leader of the band, but here's how I would go about it. I might write the bulk of the songs but I would completely open to the rest of the bands writing songs as well. We each could/would sing our own songs. We would play them no matter if the other people in the band liked them or not, because songs can grow on you and there's always room to improve on a song. Equal share in money and whatnot as well. Decisions on image go by vote. Just my philosophy, if you don't agree, that's fine.

you know.. you sorta contradicted yourself by referring to them as dumbasses and yet you claim: "Just my philosophy, if you don't agree, that's fine."

how does that work??
Old 12-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
fender188
UG's Official Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrawrockkillsx
mmmm no....

the singer is always the leader, thats why hes called the frontman. sure theyre all important (besides bassist ) but whatever singer says, goes. thats how it is, thats how its been, and thats how it will always be.

No, not always, and I think thats a good thing. Usually why the singer is only a singer is because they have no musical talent whatsoever. The only times that the singer is required to be only a singer is when the other musicians cant. Thats why its just "singer", not guitarist/vocals. Because singers can only sing.

In my band, im the leader because I have the most musical talent, am the only one who can read music, and write all the guitar, and above all own all the equipment, from the mic to the drumset.

in short, You are wrong! Singers ARE NOT the most important in the band. They are the least.

Quote:
Originally posted by Someone Else
Have you ever had waffles in a bottle?

Led Zeppelin
fender188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #18
joshsirjoshules
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensand
you know.. you sorta contradicted yourself by referring to them as dumbasses and yet you claim: "Just my philosophy, if you don't agree, that's fine."

how does that work??

That's a typo.
joshsirjoshules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #19
Baba O'Riley

Location: Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrawrockkillsx
mmmm no....

the singer is always the leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokesodanotdrug
the leader of the band is the singer as said,

There is no rule that says singers must always be the leader of the band. There have been many bands where the singer is not the leader. Ex. The Who (Pete Townsend), My Bloody Valentine (Kevin Shields), Van Halen (Van Halen.... feels redundant to write him in brackets in this one ), etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender188
in short, You are wrong! Singers ARE NOT the most important in the band. They are the least.

Singers are not always the least important. In many cases they are the most important member and the leader. Think about the Doors. It would be stupid to say that Jim Morrison was the least important. Typically the drummer is the least important person the band.

"Who is the leader of the band?" varies from individual bands. There is no rule that if you are a singer or guitarist or accordion player or whatever else that you are automatically the leader.

The band leader is usually the main songwriter, who in turn is often the most talented member of the band. But also keep in mind that sometimes bands can have more than one leader. Ex. The Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards)

I think the idea of there not being a leader is good but it rarely works. There are very few truly democratic bands.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #20
TaoAvatar20

If we didn't need leaders, there would be no government. Anytime you get a group of people together, that group needs to make decisions and if there isn't someone pushing that decision to get made, it never will. A leader doesn't have to be the one making the decisions, they're the person who makes sure they get made. In that regard I think a leader is absolutely necessary for a band. What isn't necessary is someone who's autocratic and is all like "My way or the highway." That's what I would consider a bad leader. If a band doesn't have a leader, how does it decide when to gig? How does it promote itself? How does it engage an audience? I respect the idealistic drive behind saying a band shouldn't have a leader, but in practical terms it's impossible if a band is to go anywhere. A talented leader knows the skills of those they're working with and how best to apply them. They listen to their bandmates and mediate conflicts. Most important of all they realize they're a cog in the machinery and not the machinery itself. When you've found someone who can do all this and inspire you, you've found a great band leader.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: