Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
SlashHammett
Wannbe Shredder

2 different styles..

well im the lead guitarist in my band and i write pretty much all the music ,( fast and heavy) with lots of solos. but the singer listens to like HIM and stuff and the lyrics he write are all pussy lyrics and really dont work with the music and ive tried tellin him to write about cool stuff but he wont listen, and hes also trying to cut down on the solos and says i should only have 1 solo per song. So how do u think i can deal with it . ive been thinking about leaving but theres not many other musicians in my area that i get along with / have same tastes as me. Thanks if you can help.
SlashHammett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

compromise, tell him youll worry about the guitar work, and he can worry about the lyrics.
`NeXxuS` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Eladamri

Yeah. nobody will listen to him if you keep the solos flying
Old 12-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
just_miasma_it
Godlike Wunderkind

Jesus Christ! Why is only one solo per song an unexceptable request? Everything in life is happier when people are flexible, so why not cut down on the solos? And while youre at it, maybe you should try writing some lyrics if you dont like it the way he does it. And maybe youre being a little too critical of him. Pussy lyrics? Maybe you should stop wanking for a minute and relax.
just_miasma_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
SlashHammett
Wannbe Shredder

^ cos i dont practise all day to just play a few licks lol , i always think you should use something to its full potential without holding back. and when i mean pussy lyrics i mean hes just always singing about love and bull**** . could u imagine say the riff from creeping of death singing about a girl?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
just_miasma_it
Godlike Wunderkind

Hahaha, yeah okay, good point, those dont go very well together. But taste does come into the mix here. Slash doesnt play nonstop over Axl (although its debatable that he should, haha) and Kirk doesnt play all over James. You have to remember that youre not the only one in the band.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashHammett
hes just always singing about love and bull**** .

Love in many respects is a very mature subject to sing about, you shouldnt write it off because of the stigma you've attached to it...

Certainly many bands dont sing about love profoundly, but many bands dont sing about death profoundly either, and im guessing you will listen to them...

the subject matter is secondary to the justice you do to it.
`NeXxuS` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
Cetanu
Hateful Minstrel

Write lyrics. He's the SINGER he doesn't have to write lyrics. Besides, you'd know what goes best with and completes your music, wouldn't you?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
SlashHammett
Wannbe Shredder

^ yeah but im not that good with finding words lol :P ,

and if i write the music then i think i should be the judge of how many solos there are . if he wrote the riffs then fine but since he didnt :P . and i really could not see a heavy metal song singing about love... really...
Old 12-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #10
just_miasma_it
Godlike Wunderkind

Listen to "I Been Gone A Long Time" by Every Time I Die.

"Creed will never happen again."
~Mark Tremonti
Yes!
Old 12-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #11
Cetanu
Hateful Minstrel

Quote:
^ yeah but im not that good with finding words lol :P ,

and if i write the music then i think i should be the judge of how many solos there are . if he wrote the riffs then fine but since he didnt :P . and i really could not see a heavy metal song singing about love... really...

You could try having another member in the band write lyrics.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Baba O'Riley

Location: Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_miasma_it
Jesus Christ! Why is only one solo per song an unexceptable request? Everything in life is happier when people are flexible, so why not cut down on the solos? And while youre at it, maybe you should try writing some lyrics if you dont like it the way he does it. And maybe youre being a little too critical of him. Pussy lyrics? Maybe you should stop wanking for a minute and relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by `NeXxuS`
Love in many respects is a very mature subject to sing about, you shouldnt write it off because of the stigma you've attached to it...

Certainly many bands dont sing about love profoundly, but many bands dont sing about death profoundly either, and im guessing you will listen to them...

the subject matter is secondary to the justice you do to it.

Quote:
^ yeah but im not that good with finding words lol :P

If you can't do it then you should let him keep writing the lyrics.
Quote:
and if i write the music then i think i should be the judge of how many solos there are . if he wrote the riffs then fine but since he didnt

Sometimes less is more. Personally I feel one solo per song is usually enough. I think the key to solving this problem is compromising. Perhaps you should limit the solos on some songs but on others you can have multiple solos.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
kirbyrocknroll
UG's Cannons King

Work together on both the lyrics and the guitar parts.
kirbyrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #14
TI_Bryan

Do you absolutely need him? then kick his ass out if he's not working out.
and maybe learn to sing. and alot of times one solo is enough.... or two little lead breaks for both guitarists.
TI_Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 AM   #15
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

i find that some songs need more than one solo, but dont just solo for the heck of it. if i have a song that has more than one solo, i usually have the solo to bridge parts or something. like a solo that starts out slow but gets faster to lead into a heavier second half of a song. if thats what you are doing, thats fine, but if you just try to throw solos in to show off, then i really doubt the solos are contributing much to the song. then they may be left out without problem. its a compromise with the singer on that subject.

for the vocals, sit down with the singer and the music and try to write the lyrics together. i am very sure you could make a great metal song about love. just dont do it in the traditional sense, ie. saying stuff like "shes so beautiful" or lines like that. use metaphors to make the subject darker or whatever to fit the song.

remember its a band, its supposed to be about fun and compromise. i have a feeling that if you agree to cut down on solos and help a bit with the lyrics, the singer would be willing to make the lyrics more in tune with what you want.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #16
SlashHammett
Wannbe Shredder

^ ill try that...

and it isnt like 3 two-minute long solos in 1 song , just like a 30 second solo in the intro , then another short one later on and 1 main solo.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
Slash Jr.

Green

You guys just need to compromise.

One solo really is enough, just make it awesome, put everything you can into the segment.

Maybe the band should write lyrics together, so you don't blame it all on one person.

If this doesn't work out, the band is heading down the wrong road.
*Dunlop SW-95 Slash Crybaby
*Marshall TSL60 Stack
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysayshi
I hope you sig me saying about how much of a great guitarist you are. I even told a friend that you have the best tone on a MG100DFX amp.
Slash Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #18
P.B.
lovedagibsons

i've really noticed (in my band as well), that alot of people just don't get that everyone is supposed to complement everyone else, which of course involves comprimise. ie: we have a drummer that is amazing, but just doesnt' always get when to do his fills and such-how would your singer feel witha heavy drum fill in the middle of his chorus? we have had to deal with that.
Cream fan club member #11.
P.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #19
timi_hendrix
My heron!

More than one solo on every song is just being greedy. Cut them down a bit and give him a hand with the lyrics so you end up with something you both like.

My Music
timi_hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #20
PICKS r4 DICKS
B's up, G's down

well your in a bnad that will never work.
but if your gonna try, use his lyrics but sing them fast, or write a song together. and im pretty sure you should only have 1 solo per song. dont take all the glory for yourself
<-- got it used for 70 and i still love it
My guitar
Epiphone DR-100 (Layla)
<--nothing special but cheap
My amp:
Crate BT-50 Bass Amp(Butch)
PICKS r4 DICKS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: