Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Nedir Kire
Omerta Loophole Finder

What should I tell my drummer?

i have a question.

my band recently got this new drummer who listens to metal. He can drum really well. he's better than all the other drummers we've gone through, and he's only been playing a year. for someone with that much experience, he's not bad and he can use a double bass pedal(a plus!!!!).

the problem with him is..... it's hard for him to keep a beat, he just barely started jamming with us, and he's not used to playing slow metal. not all of my band's music is slow; it's just the few songs we're working on are.

I may be leader/director of my band, but the last few times i tried to tell a drummer what to do, it backfired; nothing got done. any suggestions on what ot say to him? (input would be nice)
Nedir Kire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
SuperAnalytical
Banned

You can always have him listen to the songs you guys play, just expose him to the music more. That would be the easiest solution, but telling him he plays too fast won't get you any further than in your past experiences.
SuperAnalytical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
IlIk2plygUItAr
UG Addict

Location: freezin my ass off in a friggin igloo (a.k.a. alaska)
Be like, "bitch you do what you told, now get on yo knees!"

But seriously just be like "can you blah blah blah or something like that?" and try to make it seem like his idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbiles
IlIk2plygUItAr, you're a douche.

Funniest shit in the world
IlIk2plygUItAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Guitarded8988
UG's bluesrock monstar

if he can't keep time he's not worth anything, so either work with him until he can keep time or kick him the hell out? sucks if he's a good friend. If he's only been playing a year and just joined i bet he doesn't have a whole lot of experience playing with a band. Chances are a lot of practice will help
Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
GrungeisdeaD93
Banned

ok

look at him in the eyes and tell him to do this

"clap with me one and two and three and four"

lol i used to play drums in the sixth grade and thats what our director would do.

but seirously thats the only solution i can think of
GrungeisdeaD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Baba O'Riley

Location: Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedir Kire
...he just barely started jamming with us...

I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying that all you've done is jammed with him? If that's the case you may be judging prematurely.

At any rate it doesn't sound like you've been playing together for a long time. So it may be a bit early to already start telling him what to do.

But as said, earlier, if he can't keep time there's no point in having him. The most important role of the drummer is to keep time.

So I would advise getting him to practice with a metronome at the very least and have him play along to songs that use drum machines or have dead solid drummers. But when you tell him this don't be a bastard. Don't be like "hey man you can't keep time for **** so get a ****ing metronome you wanker". If you're a jerk to him he's not going to listen. Say something more like "Hey man I really like playing with you and you're really good but you really need to improve on your timing. So practice with a metronome. It'll make you way better."
Old 01-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Nedir Kire
Omerta Loophole Finder

To Baba O' Reilly and everyone else:

I think y'all are right. yeah, he just started jamming with us, and i may be judging prematurely (i feel dumb ).

Also, I'm new to the whole band thing. Today, Jan. 3, 2006, my band has been together off and on for a year. My thing is, i've been playing for over 4 yrs. now (guitar, bass, and a little keyboard ). I'm used to playing with people of at least 2- 3 yrs. + experience; some are better than me, I'm better than some of them.

I try not get an ego (I REALLY DO), but maybe that's what's getting to me. Also, I've had a lot of letdowns, drummer-wise. We went thru 4 drummers before the fifth (and current one) came along. The 4th drummer (another friend) could play along with bands like Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, etc. HE WAS AWESOME! He quit because he had to help his sister move. What i don't get is why couldn't he stay after the move was done? Those kind of drummers are hard to find.

Also, I was going to talk to thsi other guy (another great drummer), but he's an asshole to everyone. This is what I'd od 2 him if I could .

Sorry for the long story. I had to get it off my shoulders.

What else should I do to help him and my band at the same time (vocals need work too. If any of you chat with FireGodA7X, tell him to read this) ? Or should I convince the "asshole to everyone" that it would be worth it (He plays guitar and bass as well; style: Emo)?

I really want some advice.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:14 AM   #8
taxman27
UG's Quadrophenic

Location: Fixing a hole where the rain gets in, to stop my mind from wandering.
^ The way you've gone through drummers is similar to that of Spinal Tap. As everyone else said, give him a chance and let him grow into it. If he can't, I'd let him go.
or be an outcast

The Who- "Cut My Hair" from the album Quadrophenia
taxman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:31 AM   #9
mangablade
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeisdeaD93
ok

look at him in the eyes and tell him to do this

"clap with me one and two and three and four"

lol i used to play drums in the sixth grade and thats what our director would do.

but seirously thats the only solution i can think of

you're missing an "and" after the "four".
mangablade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:56 AM   #10
Lemmon
I am the LOLrus

Maybe he's in a wierd time sig
Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
cold_static544

metronome metronome metronome

and its called distorting
cold_static544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

Yeah... Seriously guys, haven't you ever heard of a metronome, clicktrack, whatever you want to call it?

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Resiliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
Baba O'Riley

Quote:
Also, I've had a lot of letdowns, drummer-wise.

Well that's too bad but don't worry about it. All that matters is what you do now.
Quote:
Also, I was going to talk to thsi other guy (another great drummer), but he's an asshole to everyone.

So have you spoken to him at all? Do you know he's an asshole for sure or is it just rumours?
Quote:
Or should I convince the "asshole to everyone" that it would be worth it...

If you have spoken to him and you know he's a total asshole then don't bother. You need someone you can get along with in a band. You don't want a jerk.
Quote:
(He plays guitar and bass as well; style: Emo)?

But I thought you didn't need a guitarist or a bassist? Do you know how well he plays them?

If you haven't spoken to the "asshole" and don't really know what he's like as a person, then talk to him. There's no harm in it. If he really is an asshole then don't bother with him, like I said before. But if he's a good guy then see which drummer's better: him or the guy you have now. All you've done is jammed with the guy you have now so it won't be a big deal if you keep him or not.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
Renfordoggz

i'm in the same place wif a drummer exactly like this dude but what i did was balance it out . fer example the guy hated nirvana but after i convinced him to listen to them properly he ended up lovin them and he exposed me to his kind of music like green day and stuff and i like them not love them only like.
Renfordoggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
Nedir Kire
Omerta Loophole Finder

I've known the "asshole" for a long time. I've also heard him drum. He is comparable to the 4th drummer I went thru. He's always been that way. It's like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

One thing I notice that a lot of people don't (because my school is full of F***TARDS who only care about themselves and ostracize you if you're considered "stupid" ; dear god, I have dumb people @ my school) is that he has a tendency to influence underclassmen.

I was jamming with this one guy (sophomore) for a while before he started hanging out with this "asshole". He was teachable when he hung out with me. I even recorded with him; he was in my band for that while too. But after we stoppped hanging out, he turned against me. Y? because hanging out with "asshole" turns you into a dumbass (guilty by association). Most of the time, this guy is tolerable when I'm around ONLY.

We're both seniors and we'll graduate in May this year. I need to work with somebody who can pick up beats quick. The current drummer will take some work; the "asshole" picks up easily. Either I'm not seeing something, or I'm not sure what to do. Be right back; got 2 work.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Baba O'Riley

Quote:
We're both seniors and we'll graduate in May this year.

Who you and the asshole? Or you and the current drummer? But I don't think that really matters. There's nothing wrong with playing anyone younger or older than you.
Quote:
The current drummer will take some work; the "asshole" picks up easily.

Have you played with the current drummer anymore times since you started this thread or are you judging by the one jam? If you're just judging by the jam I would play with him a bit more to see how work he actually needs.

Quote:
Either I'm not seeing something, or I'm not sure what to do.

Personally I think you should probably go with the current drummer unless you see for sure that he can't keep time. However, you may want to give him a "grace period" to improve and if he hasn't improved enough then get rid of him.

As for the asshole I don't think you should go with him because he is an asshole. Why deal with someone who's a jerk? That's just asking for trouble further down the road.

Now you're probably wondering what if it doesn't work with out with either of these drummers? Well then you have to look for someone else. If there's no one in your school, see if you know anyone in other schools, or post ads in music shops, etc. UG has some articles on looking for bandmates.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #17
Nedir Kire
Omerta Loophole Finder

It's me and the asshole that are graduating this year. I talked to our current drummer today and he said that he was actually coming up w/ something.

Our drummer is a fish, me and my bass player are seniors, the vocalist is a junior, and the other guitarist is M.I.A. for now. I might look fo another rhythm guitarist.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but as of this month, I have anywhere from 7 - 8 months before I leave for college .

Hopefully, now that he's told me he came up with some beats, it will go quicker.
My goal is to get at least two to four songs written with everyone and recorded before I leave. I look forward to advertising on the forums in the future. Got to go, catch y'all later, I'll keep y'all updated .
Old 01-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #18
Nedir Kire
Omerta Loophole Finder

also, what should i tell him if i have no coordination whatsoever on drums and attempt to show him wha to do?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #19
Nedir Kire
Omerta Loophole Finder

Hey, everyone, thanks for your help. With your advice taken and consistent practicing, he's learning faster and we're accomplishing a lot, even though it's one step at a time. Possibly look for me in the 'promote your band' forum later.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #20
wongacaster

drummers are meant to be able to keep a beat if he cant tell him to learn a basic rock beat again and tell him to keep the beat for at least three minutes
wongacaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: