Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
SuperAnalytical
Banned

First Band Session

Hello fellow bandie UGers.

I was wondering what my band should do for our first "meeting" as it may be. We (the drummer and I, I was the person to think of the band idea and the drummer will probably be holding all of the practices at his place) were thinking that we would go just talk for the first meeting. We've got another guitarist from another school (but we all know him) who thinks it should just be talking. I agree on both ends.

So I ask of you, wise sages of the band scene, to help me out with a decision.

Should we play or talk? Or talk then play?

Thanks!
SuperAnalytical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
AcDc_1337

what fun is talking, if you can jam? jam some tunes, talk in between. its pointless not to play, if its a band thats going to play music. i dont mean this in a bad way, but do you go on stage to talk?
AcDc_1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
danilo19

Talk then play. Get to know what everyone wants, then get an idea of everyone elses style.
danilo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Bodom_Shredder7
UG's Most Ist Krieg

Location: 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 Havre, Montana 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 27
you guys have plenty of time to talk in between practices, if any just talk decided kinda what you want to achieve as a band and set some goals. and i recomend learning some covers before originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Bodom_Shredder7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
SuperAnalytical
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom_Shredder7
you guys have plenty of time to talk in between practices, if any just talk decided kinda what you want to achieve as a band and set some goals. and i recomend learning some covers before originals.

I agree with the covers before originals. And don't worry, I have about 30 songs to work with of my own, so I think for originals it would be cool. I'm going to learn Come Together before then because it's such an easy jam song. At this point after one, unserious year of self-teaching I know Nirvana, I can improvise on al the pentatonic scales, and I know a few other miscellaneous songs. I can obviously expland on my knowledge a whole lot more, but from what I've done, I think I'm doing fine.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
SuperAnalytical
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcDc_1337
what fun is talking, if you can jam? jam some tunes, talk in between. its pointless not to play, if its a band thats going to play music. i dont mean this in a bad way, but do you go on stage to talk?

Point taken.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Nedir Kire
Omerta Loophole Finder

What you need to do is make a small list of influences. Find a song you like and jam to it. I would NEVER DO COVERS BEFORE ORIGINALS. Playing covers takes away from originality. There's nothing wrong with having some of the sound of your influences, just don't be the influence (DON'T SELL OUT, PLZ; IT'S A HORRIBLE DISEASE).
Nedir Kire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
redteamleader
tab this, suckah.

play then talk.

if you're the one setting things up, you should have in mind before the jam just what you want to play- and let everyone who's jamming know tentatively before you meet what you you have in mind. doesn't matter if it's covers or originals (your call- every band's different) but it will go much smoother if everyone is on the same page.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
Ubbe
i'm so hot

Jam, talk, have some beer, jam, talk, repeat.

Pff.. as if there would be any possible members besides me..
Ubbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: