Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
donender
Get back to work

lead singer problems

Our band has just started a few days ago and we are gonna play a bunch of covers for our first gig (its a talent show), there are a few problems though.

MUSIC PROBLEM
Last jamming session we had we just started improvising for a bit (it was only me, the drummer and the lead vocalist who was at that one) and we decided to play hard and fast, so me and the drummer started playing and we had quite a good connection going, then the vacalist came in and he just started shouting random words at real high pitch and it really annoying, then he shut up for a minute and me and the drummer were still jamming and we were getting a really good riff/groove going, so the immediate music problem is the vocalist.

PERSONELLE PROBLEM
The problem with the other players is that i've never actually met them as of yet, but they are real good friends of the vocalist, one of them is a second voacalist who, apparently sings better than the main vocalist, the other is the bassist who i haven't really heard much about and the other guy is the other guitarist, now i haven't actually heard him play but he wants to be the lead guitarist, which i have no real problem with but i just don't want him stealing all the solos and good riffs, and with this many people there is a risk of an ego clash (i'm the other guitarist incase you didn't guess).

The problem is that the lead vocalist was the one who had the idea of this and he has an amazing passion for music and knows all the places to get gigs, so it won't be right to kick him out, but i don't want to leave because i haven't met anyone with the same passion for forming a band as these guys and plus i think the vocalist is the only major problem (the minor one is the second guitarist) although i'm not too fond of the other songs he wants to do. (sum 41, blink 182)

So uh, help me out here.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.

Last edited by donender : 01-06-2006 at 07:05 PM.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Sir Edwin CBE

You should learn how to sing - look up the singing articles on this site and read the vocalist thread in Musician's Forum. Singing will help you in the future if you meet someone who needs a bit of improvement and the more people that can sing in a band the better.

As for your problem...

Talk to the lead vocalist - this is the only way to sort out any problems - also, you'll need to work something out with the other guitarist ( local band have two guitarists - they swap from lead guitar + backing vocals to rhythm guitar + lead vocals ), try to make sure that everyones happy otherwise you won't have a band to worry about.

Remember - you can solve all these problems by talking with people and trying to work out a compromise.

Harley Benton 7 String w/ Floyd Rose
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Sir Edwin CBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
flinch08

I've got almost the same problem....drummer(heartbeat of the band) knows where to get gigs and knows everybody real well. But he goes into these drum solos that suck...adn he'll just pop one into a re-make or a cover that we're doing or something....But I've learned to stick with it.....you just gotta keep rockin man.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Giblets341
UG's Guitar Playa

wow. just look for a new band while playing in that one. i cant get a band what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by System of a Dog
Who the **** is Hellen Keller?
Giblets341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Masknought
UG's Doughnut Mogul

youll need to jam with them before the talent show anyways, so try and set that up as soon as possible. see how it goes, if it goes well and the other guitarist isnt a jackass to you (maybe you want to play a lead, and he doesnt want you to becuase HE is the LEAD guitarist) then there shouldnt be a problem. it doesnt sound like you could kick out the singer anyways, seems like hes the one with all the connections, putting him in the least likely position to be dumped.
Masknought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
donender
Get back to work

oh, and the other problem is when i suggest a song to play to the bandleader/vocalist, he just makes up a lame excuse like "oh well, i uh can't get the same feeling behind that as with the other songs" which is getting on my nerves so can you help me out with that?

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
Baba O'Riley

Location: Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by donender
MUSIC PROBLEM
Last jamming session we had we just started improvising for a bit (it was only me, the drummer and the lead vocalist who was at that one) and we decided to play hard and fast, so me and the drummer started playing and we had quite a good connection going, then the vacalist came in and he just started shouting random words at real high pitch and it really annoying, then he shut up for a minute and me and the drummer were still jamming and we were getting a really good riff/groove going, so the immediate music problem is the vocalist.

Ok so let's look at this. It was a jam session and the singer couldn't jam well. Maybe he's not good at coming up with his material (is that why you are a cover band?) and sometimes jams just don't go well. If you guys were practicing a few real songs, and not jamming, and he couldn't sing at all then you would have a problem.

Is this jam session the only band practice you've had? Because it sounds that way. Are you saying he can't sing just because of that jam or do you have other reasons?
Quote:
The problem with the other players is that i've never actually met them as of yet, but they are real good friends of the vocalist,

So what? Get to know them then. Become friends with them.
Quote:
, one of them is a second voacalist who, apparently sings better than the main vocalist

Then, if it doesn't work out with this singer maybe you can get this guy.
Quote:
the other guy is the other guitarist, now i haven't actually heard him play but he wants to be the lead guitarist, which i have no real problem with but i just don't want him stealing all the solos and good riffs, and with this many people there is a risk of an ego clash (i'm the other guitarist incase you didn't guess).

First of all you haven't hear him play yet which means, even though he wants to be, he won't necessarily be the lead guitarist. You also said you have no problem with him being lead guitarist which gets rid of the ego clash because normally it's when both guitarists want to be lead that there's a problem. As for stealing the good riffs and solos I think that'll depend more what songs you actually play.
Quote:
The problem is that the lead vocalist was the one who had the idea of this and he has an amazing passion for music and knows all the places to get gigs, so it won't be right to kick him out, but i don't want to leave because i haven't met anyone with the same passion for forming a band as these guys and plus i think the vocalist is the only major problem (the minor one is the second guitarist) although i'm not too fond of the other songs he wants to do. (sum 41, blink 182)

Realistically I don't think you're in a position to kick him out. For starters I don't see a solid reason for doing yet. Secondly, you said this band has only existed for a few days. You haven't even met all the people and will therefore not have their support. It looks like you've only had one practice as well, which wasn't even a proper practice. Keep in mind you could also just stay for the gig and then leave afterwards.
Quote:
oh, and the other problem is when i suggest a song to play to the bandleader/vocalist, he just makes up a lame excuse like "oh well, i uh can't get the same feeling behind that as with the other songs" which is getting on my nerves so can you help me out with that?

Make a good case for the song. Why should you play it? Ex. it's really well known song so everyone will know it and therefore we'll get good response, etc. Also tell him that since you're willing to play his songs even though you don't like his songs he should do the same for you.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #8
rockguitarist20

as harsh as it sounds, use the vocalist for your connections for now, until u make your own connections, then dump him and move on

guitar blog | guitar tips | guitar tricks
rockguitarist20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Our band has just started a few days ago and we are gonna play a bunch of covers for our first gig (its a talent show), there are a few problems though.

MUSIC PROBLEM

PERSONELLE PROBLEM
The problem with the other players is that i've never actually met them as of yet, but they are real good friends of the vocalist, one of them is a second voacalist who, apparently sings better than the main vocalist, the other is the bassist who i haven't really heard much about and the other guy is the other guitarist, now i haven't actually heard him play but he wants to be the lead guitarist, which i have no real problem with but i just don't want him stealing all the solos and good riffs, and with this many people there is a risk of an ego clash (i'm the other guitarist incase you didn't guess).

So uh, help me out here.

Y'know what I think?
You're the new guy.
The vocalist and everyone else in the band all know each other really well, you haven't got anyone's respect yet and that's how you're being treated, without respect. So stick with it for a while, play your arse off, prove yourself, and pretty soon, you'll gain their respect and you'll know everyone better and got used to their individual mannerisms and habits, so little things that bug you now about cirtain members won't seem that important anymore.
Also, once you have their respect, they'll treat you differently and you'll have more say in decisions.

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: