Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Gurgle!Argh!
-

jason molina

i thought i should bring this to people's attention, just in case they didnt know already; i can think of at least one UGer who'll be keen to know about it...

http://www.drownedinsound.com/content/view/630039
Old 02-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
slinks
Bastard in a Basket

Wow! That's great. First new Sonic Youth, then Dinosaur Jr., and now Jason Molina (not going by Songs: Ohia anymore, I guess?). 2006 is going to be the best year ever!
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Andrewbiles

^ Songs: Ohia finished up years ago and he started with a full time band of Magnolia Electric Co.

Yeah, I got an e-mail about the show, got absolutely no idea where it is though and the tickets were down to 82 left a few days ago, so if they're not gone already I doubt I'll get tickets anyway. Great live though and can't wait for the new material.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Andrewbiles

I'm sorry (not really) for bumping this thread up after so many months, but the greatest news has come about...

Quote:
Jason Molina, principal force behind acclaimed outfits Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co., has finished no less than six new albums, Billboard.com has learned. Secretly Canadian is currently planning to release all six, but only two this year. The first is a vinyl-only album, "Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go," due Aug. 22.

"This type of release was inspired by Shellac, and with the numbers that we have sold over the years in this format, there are still a lot of people that appreciate this format," Molina tells Billboard.com. "They like the presentation of 'Side A' and 'Side B' material -- I try to make songs that are 'family' like."

"Let Me Go" was recorded over three days in Molina's garage studio and unlike previous releases, this is "essentially all acoustic instruments," he says. "I write a huge amount of material and throw most of it out. At times I will get in the studio and force myself to just write an entire front-to-back record and 'Let Me Go' is one of these. I felt it's thematically and audibly eerie enough to keep their original recordings."

The titles of the other five albums are "Fading Trails," "The Nashville Moon," "The Sun Studio Sessions," "The Black Ram" and "Shohola." "The Nashville Moon" was recorded by Steve Albini and mixed at Abbey Road Studios, while "The Black Ram" is a collaboration with Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker founder David Lowery.

Due Sept. 12, "Fading Trails" is a collection of songs from all of these recording sessions. On July 25, Magnolia Electric Company will kick off a short North American tour with Ladyhawk in Omaha, Neb.

Six albums! How f'ing great! I can't wait.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Gurgle!Argh!
-

blimey!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
sponj
UG Monkey

what does songshio and magnolia electric co. sound like? I always thought they were foll, don't know why really
Old 07-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Andrewbiles

Hard to explain really. Songs: Ohia were like the heavy side of Low mixed with folk music - not the finger picking side of folk though. That's the best comparison I can come up with at the moment.

Magnolia Electric Co. are a bit more on the bluesy rock side of things but with the same style as Songs: Ohia.

They're bands you just have to take a listen to at some point. I'm sure there must be some mp3s up on insound or epitonic.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
sponj
UG Monkey

I've been tempted (does that word even exist? Andrew EDIT: now it does ) to pick up an album from songshia , the one with the owl in the cover, I think it was cheap.

By the way, how are the cd prices on the UK and USA? I think we're being well ripped of. FNAC, wich is a better version of Borders or something like that, puts huge prices on cd's! like some band that you've never heard of has records at 20? and has no one knows them, no one buys them! it's a really stupid thing..
Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
slinks
Bastard in a Basket

Well, Borders, Schuler's, etc. have never had very good prices on CD's. Music isn't really their main draw. They're more book stores/ coffee shops. I've found that the price usually correlates to how rare the album is.

As for Jason Molina, I had completely forgotten he had all of this new stuff coming out. I guess I'll have some new releases to look forward to after all.

Edit: How many times are you going to do this? ---> Songshia

Also, has anyone else noticed how similar Magnolia Electric Co. sounds to Neil Young?

Last edited by slinks : 07-04-2006 at 08:58 PM.
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
Andrewbiles

^ EDIT: Never even thought of that comparison.

Ah, I wouldn't pick that album up as an introduction anyway to be honest. I'd probably recommend 'Ghost tropic' if you can find a copy. I recommended a friend pick up 'The lioness' as their first - which really did it for me - but they ended up not liking it, so I've avoided doing that again.

CDs are anywhere from 5 to 16. Depends how you buy them, but the more mainstream new releases are about 9, harder to find ones about 12, and hard to find old album can go up past 16. Then there's a lot of sales on everywhere the whole time, but still not the cheapest. Canadians and then Americans have it best off - although Americans still seem to moan constantly about the prices - if you're looking for a mass purchase (postage costs can be a bit of a bitch). 20 Euros is quite a bit (about 14 for comparisons sake), about the same as over here really. The less heard of bands are usually more expensive as they're more of a risk to stock. If a shop only stocked top 40 CDs you'd probably find new releases available for 7.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
*Truly Ninja*
it's yours

I've met the dude! My old guitar teacher's band (early day miners, but he isn't in it anymore) is signed to secretly canadian, and they played a show together once. He was awesome live. My favorite song of his is "I've Been Riding with the ghost"
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #12
Andrewbiles

Yeah, met him last year over here. Shorter than I expected, but nice bloke, signed my 'no moon on the water' record.

Early Day Miners guitarist was your teacher? That's awesome. Great band.

Check out 'my blood' by Songs: Ohia. That's my new favourite of theirs. Only place it has appeared though is as 'untitled' (the second one) on 'Mi sei apparso...', but there are some other bootlegs with it on, just that was the only place for it to be released.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
*Truly Ninja*
it's yours

Y'know, I really like your avatar.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #14
Andrewbiles

Strange that seeing as I stole it from you like three years ago

RateYourMusic
Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
Andrewbiles

New tracks thanks to Secretly Canadian...

Jason Molina - Get Out Get Out Get Out

Magnolia Electric Co. - Lonesome Valley

Personally I prefer the MEC one, too much reverb on the JM track.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #16
Unseen_hero
Wooly Mammoth's Absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Truly Ninja*
I've met the dude! My old guitar teacher's band (early day miners, but he isn't in it anymore) is signed to secretly canadian, and they played a show together once. He was awesome live. My favorite song of his is "I've Been Riding with the ghost"

your guitar teacher was the guitarist from early day miners!?!?! That's freaking awesome! Great band. If you haven't heard 'autumn wake' on epitonic.. it's strikingly beautiful. Strikingly.

The guys a freaking madman if he can pump out that many albums.

I first heard him on epitonic. There's enough mp3s on the songs: ohia page to almost fill a blank cd.

Axxess & Ace is only 9 dollars on insound. That's the only one I have and it's a good price if you're just getting into him.

so andrew, you would recommend 'ghost tropic' next? I was thinking 'didn't it rain.' I really like the feel of the songs I've heard. Besides 'two blue lights' just really does something for me. The duel vocals pluck all the right strings. And 'Steve Albini's Blues" is great just to hear steve sing like that.
Unseen_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:07 AM   #17
Andrewbiles

'Didn't it rain' is a very good one as well, as is the self-titled. If you've already got into them then I would say that those two or 'The lioness' are really what I'd recommend as you know the kind of style he writes in, and I personally think those are his best completed pieces. Although, if you can see a copy of 'Mi sei apparso...' about somewhere then I would also highly recommend that, but its a live album and reasonably hard to find.

RateYourMusic
Old 08-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
.kassiopeia.

i just tabbed some songs,from songs ohia....i hope in a few days they will be added in the ultimate archiv.

marvin
.kassiopeia. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
thepickups
UG Monkey

Quote:
Ah, I wouldn't pick that album up as an introduction anyway to be honest. I'd probably recommend 'Ghost tropic' if you can find a copy. I recommended a friend pick up 'The lioness' as their first - which really did it for me - but they ended up not liking it, so I've avoided doing that again.

You recommended it to me before I went on holiday and before my banning.

I'm not too keen on it. It's fine and it has a certain sound that works well some nights with me, but I wouldn't rush to get another by judging it on that.
thepickups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #20
Unseen_hero
Wooly Mammoth's Absence

I got 'Ghost Tropic' last week. I like it a lot. The sparse sounds, the varying percussion. I digs it much. But that's because I've been listening to a lot of Mice parade lately too.
Unseen_hero is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: