Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #61
flying_phoenix
Profit of Doom

I haven't heard the BM stuff, which is funny, because I checked these guys out originally as a black metal rec, and ended up hearing the electronic stuff. I love it though. I have Blood Inside, Perdition City, and Shadows of the Sun, and they all are remarkably good. Shadows... is definitely my favorite though, it's the most coherent in it's ideas, and it is an almost purely ambient album, which suits my taste best. I disliked the Solitude cover somewhat, which is strange since I loved the original.
flying_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #62
Dirtydeeds468
UG Monkey

Their black metal stuff happens to be top notch too...roffle. Bergtatt is one of my favorite albums evar.

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Dirtydeeds468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #63
BR00TAL
Horizons of Chaos

As composers, these guys are bloody brilliant. Shadows of the Sun is a cerebral piece of music. Eos..there are no words to to describe.
BR00TAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #64
bobslip

I've heard Eos and it's bloody godly. Are the rest of the songs on Shadows as good? I'm really thinking about getting that album
bobslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #65
BR00TAL
Horizons of Chaos

They really are. Each song has it's own uniqueness about it, but I generally treat the album as one continuous piece of music. Definitely reccomend it if you, like me, got shivers from hearing Eos for the first time.
BR00TAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #66
Noskool

It's not Swedish but a mix of Danish and Norwegian, it's called Old Norwegian I think, like they spoke some hundreds years ago
Noskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #67
BringMeTheCalm
UG's Redundant Redundancy

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany...Massachusetts...
I just got Shadows of the Sun. It's pretty good, I love putting it on when I'm going to sleep... It's so damn relaxing.
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
BringMeTheCalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #68
InfiniteSadness

You really have to be in a state where you can pay attention to every detail when listening to Shadows of the Sun. There's just so much subtlety to the music, like the amazing Fennesz outro of Vigil.
InfiniteSadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 AM   #69
tjg92

I've only heard Bergtatt, Nattens Madrigal, and Perdition City. I'm not really a fan of Black Metal (mostly because I've never really listened to it), so to be honest Bergtatt didn't really connect with me much. Nattens Madrigal I actually liked more.

Perdition City, though, is amazing. Just beautiful.
tjg92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #70
InfiniteSadness

You would think that, if you don't like BM, you would not like Nattens Madrigal at all since it's pretty much straightforward BM throughout the whole album. At least Bergtatt has clean vocals and many acoustic breaks.

And agreed on Perdition City, it's an awesome record indeed. Check out Blood Inside or Shadows of the Sun next.
InfiniteSadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #71
Mr. Twelve
Come on you Spurs!

I just bought Shadows Of The Sun and Themes From William Blake's... and they're the first Ulver albums I've listened to. I liking it so far.

I'll have a bourbon.
Mr. Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #72
Broadsword
The Wild Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twelve
I just bought Shadows Of The Sun and Themes From William Blake's... and they're the first Ulver albums I've listened to. I liking it so far.

Be sure, no matter what, to listen to/get Bergtatt. It's one of my favorite Black Metal albums of all time.

The acoustic outro on the last track (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it ) is mindblowing.
Broadsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #73
Mr. Twelve
Come on you Spurs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword
Be sure, no matter what, to listen to/get Bergtatt. It's one of my favorite Black Metal albums of all time.

The acoustic outro on the last track (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it ) is mindblowing.

I've been planning on getting some of their stuff for a while but the store only had those two albums, but I definitely want to check out their old stuff.

I'll have a bourbon.
Mr. Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #74
Broadsword
The Wild Rover

Obtain it anyway you can, my friend.

In any event, a lot of people rant about how raw and utterly horrible the production is on Nattens Madrigal, but I really don't see what's so bad about it. All the riffs and melodies are perfectly clear to me, every note is articulate, and in some instances they are more so than on Bergtatt.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #75
tjg92

Well, if you've ever listened to Prurient or any other harsh noise music, the guitars sound very similar to the majority of that stuff. I think it sounds awesome, though.
tjg92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #76
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Just got into these guys. Brilliant stuff, never heard a black metal band with the balls to go from folky, kvlt-ish black metal, to avant-garde, to ambient, acid-house sounding trance.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #77
Raziel2p

Bergtatt is awesome, and that's weird, because the vocals are, objectively, crap. Still there's something about the feel of that album. Nattens Madrigal is an often forgotten black metal classic.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #78
Broadsword
The Wild Rover

^ I think you mean subjectively, because I personally love them. And I dunno about Nattens Madrigal being a forgotten classic, I'd say it's fairly well known. Well, maybe not around here as I've seen, but elsewhere, yeah, I don't think anyone has forgotten it.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #79
BringMeTheCalm
UG's Redundant Redundancy

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany...Massachusetts...
I'm currently downloading Bergtatt... I feel like such a douchebag for doing it, but I desperately need some more Ulver material.
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
BringMeTheCalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #80
Korosu

This band is amazing.
Korosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: