Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Rock & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Lgarretto

Why do people like/dislike certain genres?

Hey guys, bored at work so I figured I'd pose a kinda analytical query.
So my brother and I were having a conversation about slayer (he loves them, I can't stand em) and it came to the subject of why so many people seem to dislike genres that are "opposite" of the one they primarily listen to. I'm pretty open, I'll listen to country, metal, rock, rap, even pop and jrock on occasion. However I know several people that love rock and rap and pop but hate country. Or mostly vice-versa since I live in Oklahoma.
So my question is: do you think people like and dislike what they do because of some aspect of the music, or is it more because of societal influence?
Lgarretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Why do you dislike certain foods, man?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Lgarretto

Yeah. I guess a better way of asking is: do you think society or a band/song's independent aspects have more effect on people in general liking said band/song?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I think you care too much about what other people are doing.

There are a HUUUUGE number of things that influence a person's taste. It's the sort of thing that requires a degree level understanding of psychology to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Lgarretto

I really just kinda meant in general, but I understand what you mean. You don't think there's really an answer I suppose.
And like I said, I'm just bored at work today. I don't really care what others think I guess. Too much trouble
Old 05-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

There's no such thing as a general answer in this case. It'd be like saying "I can explain what this fish looks like, but I'm actually blind."

An answer with no information behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgarretto
I really just kinda meant in general, but I understand what you mean. You don't think there's really an answer I suppose.
And like I said, I'm just bored at work today. I don't really care what others think I guess. Too much trouble

Let me put it this way, in the form of another argument in the music community:

"What is rock and roll?". Is rock and roll just '50s era rockabilly? Is it stuff from the '70s rock and roll? Is stuff from the '80s?
What instrumentation makes something rock and roll? Are songs that have a basic rock and roll feel but don't use tradition rock and roll instrumentation still "rock and roll"?

I could keep going, but the point is ultimately this: there is no simple answer, and a lot of it comes down to opinion and/or personal feelings. Someone could justifiably argue that Punk of the '70s had a rock and roll rebellious quality to it (and therefore it is rock and roll), whereas someone else could say that Punk isn't rock and roll. Both opinions are technically correct. Your question is a similar deal, because 1 person may love Death Metal and another hate it. Both their views on Death Metal are valid.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Baby Joel
help me i'm scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
"What is rock and roll?"

Quote:
Rock and roll (often written as rock & roll or rock 'n' roll) is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s, primarily from a combination of predominantly African-American genres such as blues, boogie woogie, jump blues, jazz, and gospel music,3 together with Western swing and country music. Though elements of rock and roll can be heard in blues records from the 1920s and in country records of the 1930s,4 the genre did not acquire its name until the 1950s.

here you go :y:

also, die and dye

lostboys http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lostboys/

th official homophone thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1675125

the serious thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1675340
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Rickholly74

I was born in the 50's and grew up in 60's so I have seen a lot of changes in music. Some I like some I don't. Because I have heard so much over the years I have become a bit jaded when people think some band, singer or musician is doing "something new". Nine out of ten times it isn't new nor should we expect it it be. All music is influenced by what came before. Anyone who thinks any band is doing something no one has ever done before or created a new sound just hasn't heard enough of what came before it. This is not a complaint at all. Bands hear a little piece of something they like or want to explore more and take that sound to a higher level or in a different direction but it still retains the ghost of what came before.

I enjoy all types of music (except rap which I don't consider music in any way). I like a wide variety of music I rarely say anything sucks just because it doesn't appeal to me. What I do like are players and bands that are not a "one trick pony" who can only play in one style and keep repeating the same sound with a new riff album after album. If that's what you want to listen to it's OK by me, go for it. I can't limit myself to one specific style of music. In the end that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream and 100 other flavors. Some people always order the same flavor while I want to taste them all and they are all good to someone.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 05-19-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Baby Joel
help me i'm scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickholly74
(except rap which I don't consider music in any way)

this one thought disqualifies all of your opinions

also, die and dye

th official homophone thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1675125

Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
slipknot5678
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
this one thought disqualifies all of your opinions

I don't even understand how it's possible to like "everything else" but hate rap tbh.
UG's #1 hottest, SAFE LINK!!!
slipknot5678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
I don't even understand how it's possible to like "everything else" but hate rap tbh.

cuz dem dere geetars is all u needs to maek da jiggly airs hyuck hyuck hyuck

rip dimesack \-/

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
here you go :y:

Your hipster is showing...

Bandcamp

Old 05-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #14
Rickholly74

To each his own but I find little to no musical content in most of the rap I hear. I'll just suffer my life without it. By the way I didn't say I like "everything else" I said I like "all types of music". Big difference.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 05-19-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #15
Baby Joel
help me i'm scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Your hipster is showing...

m8 tbf , my hipster is showing all the time. mad leather shoes, the world's greatest socks, bright chinos, and any shirt that makes it look like I didn't plan my outfit

and yeah I'm with slipknot. rap being the only genre to not be music is absurd. There's literally hundreds of genres and subgenres

also hating on rap really shows a severe unfamiliarity with the genre. saying rap is bad, when you've only heard the charts top 20, is like saying that rock is bad because nickelback had charted tunes all over the place.

and rap's origin is better than any other music genre

also, die and dye

Old 05-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
Rickholly74

I'm also don't like polka music (except the Schmenge Brothers) but I don't think that makes me a bad guy. Since when do I have to explore the sub genres of rap. I don't like it. Ain't gonna listen to it. This may come as a shock but a lot of people don't like rap. If you like it, knock yourself out and listen to it.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
Baby Joel
help me i'm scared

you said it yourself, I don't care if anyone likes it or dislikes rap.

Here's the bit I have a problem with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickholly74
(except rap which I don't consider music in any way)

i don't care if you hate it, i don't care if you know the background, I don't care if NWA scared you off in the 80s or anything.

I care that you don't think it's music. That's the problem.

also, die and dye

Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #18
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678

Yeah. He probably hates a lot of other types of music but either doesn't know that he hates it because he just never thought about it or because he doesn't know it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #19
Sauntman

I don't like all genres of music, but hate is too strong of a word. If I don't like some style of music, I just don't listen to it. Everyone has their own taste. Even within genres, there are some sub- genres I like and others that I don't. Take metal for example, some metal is my favorite music of all whereas some metal I find unlistenable. There are some good pop songs, but I can't say I like every pop song ever written. I don't like rap and I am not going to force myself to become familiar with it as I'd rather spend that time listening to something I enjoy and can relate to.
Sauntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
Rickholly74

I didn't use the word "hate". That's a gross misinterpretation of what I wrote and what I meant. I said I don't like rap. That means I don't enjoy it and I don't choose to listen to it. I didn't say I "hate" anything. I said "I rarely say anything sucks just because it doesn't appeal to me" I stand by that.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 05-21-2015 at 08:08 AM.

Rate This Thread: