Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #30881
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you

Location: Friday night beneath the stars, in a field behind your yard
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
I'm not Australian, but Australian Day seems even more of a '**** you' to indigenous peoples than Thanksgiving in America does based on what I've read. I'd definitely be that guy on Australian Day. >_>

It's colloquially referred to as "Invasion Day" by "those guys".

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Alter-Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #30882
Dan_5893
Interdit

Quote:
I'm not Australian, but Australian Day seems even more of a '**** you' to indigenous peoples than Thanksgiving in America does based on what I've read. I'd definitely be that guy on Australian Day. >_>

You're gonna have a bad time.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #30883
halvies
Bonjourno

I worked. Not that I really care about Australia day. I just think it's an opportunity for pseudo-patriots to get shitfaced - an attitude which I loath.

The same goes for music festivals, in that people go half for the music and half to get drunk most of the time
halvies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #30884
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter-Bridge
It was Australia Day yesterday, Muse thread. What did you do to celebrate?

got shitfaced and beat up some wog ****s.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #30885
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
got shitfaced and beat up some wog ****s.

Australia really has nothing to be proud of. Usually History is taught in schools to instill a bit of patriotism, but Australian history is almost nothing but racism. We haven't been in anything interesting on a global scale, we don't have any documents to be proud of like the First Amendment of the US, and we really don't have any heroes like Lincoln to show us how awesome people from our country can be.

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #30886
steve_muse
Never had this before

Scottish history rules. We invented EVERYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #30887
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Scottish history rules. We invented EVERYTHING.

pfft get real, greeks invented everything.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #30888
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:

Australia really has nothing to be proud of. Usually History is taught in schools to instill a bit of patriotism, but Australian history is almost nothing but racism. We haven't been in anything interesting on a global scale, we don't have any documents to be proud of like the First Amendment of the US, and we really don't have any heroes like Lincoln to show us how awesome people from our country can be.

yeah did you catch gillard's speech on australia day at the citizenship ceremony? something about australia having a great history of immigration? yeah right get real. we have a ****ing horrible history of immigration. although at least all the old racists are dying out, which is a positive thing.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #30889
Dan_5893
Interdit

Dem immigrants, taking our benefits, ruining our culture.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #30890
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you

Quote:
yeah did you catch gillard's speech on australia day at the citizenship ceremony? something about australia having a great history of immigration? yeah right get real. we have a ****ing horrible history of immigration. although at least all the old racists are dying out, which is a positive thing.

Yes but their inbred offspring live on.

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #30891
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Quote:

American history is the same to be honest. I almost view American and Australian history as the same in that both of our nations are just extensions of Anglo-rooted oppression against indigenous people. This sounds very fourteen year old-ish but you know I'm right.

Lincoln (as with most other historical figures) really wasn't cool and our famous documents have loads of racism and other subtle messages, it's just that they only teach the cool sounding intros in school. America has invented a number of things and has made cultural contributions but I feel that the bad outweighs the good and the way we achieved the good leaves me wearing the title 'American' as a badge of shame.

I bring this up way too much on UG and it pisses people off. I'm not anti-American or anti-Australian, I just think the people we conquered deserve their own place in the world, know'm sayin? I just wish America, Australia, etc. would just at least take their foot off instead of smashing indigenous peoples into the ground.

Edit: Also, sorry I went all serious in the Myoos thread.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #30892
Dan_5893
Interdit

We should all take after the Kiwi's really. They ****ed up real bad then fixed it.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #30893
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Yes but their inbred offspring live on.

oh my god, tell me about it. one of my acquaintances (downgraded from friend when i found out she was a ****ing bigot) genuinely believes that gillard is a shit pm just because she's a woman. plus she's racist and sexualitist. i wish i could say that her being greek had nothing to do with it, but it's due to her so-called orthodox beliefs (she doesn't observe the premarital sex view, ironically). so much of my family is racist, sexist and sexualitist it's not funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_5893
Dem immigrants, taking our benefits, ruining our culture.

immigrants! that's how they do, you know. just drive around listening to raps and shooting all the jobs.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #30894
edgeyyz
I take out the trash

Quote:
American history is the same to be honest.

LIES! America invented freedom, therefore America = Jesus.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #30895
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you

Quote:
American history is the same to be honest. I almost view American and Australian history as the same in that both of our nations are just extensions of Anglo-rooted oppression against indigenous people. This sounds very fourteen year old-ish but you know I'm right.

Lincoln (as with most other historical figures) really wasn't cool and our famous documents have loads of racism and other subtle messages, it's just that they only teach the cool sounding intros in school. America has invented a number of things and has made cultural contributions but I feel that the bad outweighs the good and the way we achieved the good leaves me wearing the title 'American' as a badge of shame.

I bring this up way too much on UG and it pisses people off. I'm not anti-American or anti-Australian, I just think the people we conquered deserve their own place in the world, know'm sayin? I just wish America, Australia, etc. would just at least take their foot off instead of smashing indigenous peoples into the ground.

Edit: Also, sorry I went all serious in the Myoos thread.

Yes, American history is by no means without its blemishes but America has a lot to be proud of. It still remains the only secular democracy in the world. The First Amendment to the Constitution is a beautiful thing, which secures freedom of speech (among other great things) in writing. Sure other countries almost guarantee the same freedoms, but other countries weren't founded on them.

Quote:
oh my god, tell me about it. one of my acquaintances (downgraded from friend when i found out she was a ****ing bigot) genuinely believes that gillard is a shit pm just because she's a woman. plus she's racist and sexualitist. i wish i could say that her being greek had nothing to do with it, but it's due to her so-called orthodox beliefs (she doesn't observe the premarital sex view, ironically). so much of my family is racist, sexist and sexualitist it's not funny.

It seems quite common in social interactions for me to think "Are they joking? Jesus Christ I hope they're joking".

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012

Last edited by Alter-Bridge : 01-30-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #30896
halvies
Bonjourno

Quote:
Yes, American history is by no means without its blemishes but America has a lot to be proud of. It still remains the only secular democracy in the world. The First Amendment to the Constitution is a beautiful thing, which secures freedom of speech (among other great things) in writing. Sure other countries almost guarantee the same freedoms, but other countries weren't founded on them.

It seems quite common in social interactions for me to think "Are they joking? Jesus Christ I hope they're joking".

That being said, the Constitution is still one of the major reasons why America hasn't gotten rid of its ridiculous gun laws...
halvies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #30897
edgeyyz
I take out the trash

^ That's because right-wing Americans treat the Constitution and Bill of Rights as scripture.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 AM   #30898
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Quote:
[/I]

in spoiler tags due to lenght

Once again, sorry Muse thread for being serious but at least it's not another existential crises.

Last edited by slipknot5678 : 01-31-2013 at 01:25 AM.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #30899
frankv
Her?

Quote:
Yes, American history is by no means without its blemishes but America has a lot to be proud of. It still remains the only secular democracy in the world. The First Amendment to the Constitution is a beautiful thing, which secures freedom of speech (among other great things) in writing. Sure other countries almost guarantee the same freedoms, but other countries weren't founded on them.[/I]

Who told you that?
frankv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #30900
steve_muse
Never had this before

The greeks came up with democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.

Last edited by steve_muse : 01-31-2013 at 01:22 PM.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: