Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2006, 06:10 AM   #81
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

^I have my rig set up something like this : Ibanez GAX50 or RG320 going into a ****ty Digitech multifx, then into tubescreamer, wah/volume, smashbox, going to amp set on clean... and I can get pretty close. multifx is rarely used, then tube screamer is low gain mid range, so light distortion, wah models that tone - so you get a range of softer sounds from there already, and then a smashbox gives me the main high-gain distortion... For Matt's parts where it's more bluesy, I might use a smashbox with my guitar volume rolled back and rhythm pickup.

For time is running out, for example, I'd start off clean, and build it up something like this - clean, mild distortion (pre chorus), heavy distortion (chorus), and so on, depending on what the part sounds like. Just experiment basically, but you don't need a lot of pedals. For times when Matt uses a whammy, you could try doing some slides across the neck (I know they're massive, but that's the cool part), otherwise there isn't that much you can do unless you actuall get the pedal itself
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 AM   #82
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

Here's another good site for gear
http://www.museandamuse.com/
Go to The Band then Gear.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #83
Katfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_Hansard
To be honest, I don't know how to get a good Muse tone. I know a good bit from http://musegear.fobbedoff.net/ , but I gave up trying to get it after I realised he used so much. You'll need a Fuzz pedal anyway (he uses Zvex Fuzz Factorys, I use a US made Big Muff Pi and it sounds ok), on Absolution he either uses his Fuzz Factorys or his amp's built in distortion. P90s will also help.
Just read that site and listen to some live tracks, it will give you an idea of what you need.

Thanx for the web sites. I going to buy a new amp and they all ready has some kind of distortion built in but I have to try it first. I going to buying a whammy pedal later on this year. As you say I do need a fuzz pedal. Also so you think do I need to change my guitar? I know it's a pracfica but do you think it's O.K. to do the job? Becuase I don't want to change it yet.
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Katfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #84
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

What model is it?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #85
Katfury

Quote:
What model is it?

A very basic Pacfica 012.
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 AM   #86
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

^It may do the job, because a lot of Matt's tone comes from the attitude as much as equipment. A lot of the sound is in the hands, so once you can get songs as close as you can with what you have, playing them on something better will in turn make you feel better

Does your pacifica have a humbucker on it? that will help somewhat
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #87
Katfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
^It may do the job, because a lot of Matt's tone comes from the attitude as much as equipment. A lot of the sound is in the hands, so once you can get songs as close as you can with what you have, playing them on something better will in turn make you feel better

Does your pacifica have a humbucker on it? that will help somewhat

Yes it has a humbucker. Anyway, I heard they will release their new album soon. I just can't wait for that.
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Old 03-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #88
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

In May. It can't wait. I'm want to take a day off just to buy it Have you heard the new songs?

You could upgrade your Pacifica. Just remember...

in the early days Matt used a Pacifica 120SJ(I think) upgraded with DiMarzios and some Synth pickup (I think).
Old 03-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #89
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

ALBUM NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseLive.com, from Kerrang
"We're In Areas Other Bands Consider Risky..."
Muse Explore Unchartered Territory With New Album

Muse are currently putting the finishing touches to their much-anticipated, fourth studio album.

Vocalist/guitarist Matt Bellamy, bassist Chris Wolstenholme and drummer Dom Howard, have been holed up in a West London studio mixing the as-yet-untitled follow-up to 2003's 'Absolution'.

The band invited Kerrang! to an exclusive first listen of six completed tracks, including 'Hex', 'A Soldier's Poem', 'Demonocracy', 'Supermassive Blackhole', 'Knights of Cydonia' and an as-yet-untitled track. The new material sees Bellamy and his bandmates expanding upon the innovative sound of their previous three records.

"We've got to a point where we're pretty much free to do whatever we like," muses Matt Bellamy. "It was difficult because we wanted every song to be different to what we've done before. I think we've managed to do that. With the range we've shown on previous albums, I think we've got the freedom to go into areas other bands would consider risky. Previously, we consciously thought about which songs would work live but this time we just went for it. We'll worry about how to play them live later."

In September, the trio worked on song ideas at Château Miraval in Provence, France, before decamping to New York's Avatar and Electric Lady studios with 'Absolution' producer Rick Costey to record the bulk of the album."

"Château Miraval was where Pink Floyd recorded 'The Wall'," Bellamy says. "The studio was set next to a vineyard and was full of ghosts. The owner was this moody old geezer who didn't seem to want us there and kept interrupting us when we were writing the album."

"They had very good local wine, though," adds Howard. "We just spent a lot of time sitting around getting pissed and coming up with ideas. It was a great way to do things."

However, the band's initial preparations were disrupted by a group of unexpected visitors to the studio...

"There were so many bats flying around the rehearsal room while we were trying to work," laughs Wolstenholme. "We didn't know where they were coming from. They're completely silent so all of a sudden, they'd be flapping around our faces. We haven't stayed in touch though!"

The most surprising track that Muse played Kerrang! was 'Knights of Cydonia', which Blemmay reveals will most likely close the album. Taking its cues from Mariachi bands and the 'Doctor Who' theme tune, the track sounds like a soundtrack to a spaghetti western set in the far reaches of the galaxy nd features a chain-smoking trumpeter called Franco.

"Did you hear the galloping horses and bombs going off?" the frontman asks. "That song is influenced by '50s music and my dad's band The Tornados [legendary UK instrumental chart-toppers]. In the '50s, the nuclear vibe was kicking off and ther was a lot of fear. It also happened to be a period where the most UFO sightings were reported."

"I feel we're entering another period where tensions are rising to a very high level and UFO sightings will start to creep back," Bellamy adds. "Aliens are definitely out there!"

Muse's as-yet-untitled album will be released in July via Warners. The band are tipped to appear at least one UK festival over the summer.

NME Article

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d...d/2-musenme.jpg

Sorry about the size.

Sounds like it shall be a rather kinky album. BUT WTF!!!!! JULY?!?!?WTFWTFWTFWTF. That has REALLY pissed me off, they were oringally saying May.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #90
Katfury

Thanx for the acticule. It seems they going to delay it.
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Old 03-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #91
yawn
Be back later.

July?

Hopefully it just means that it'll be that much better *fingers crossed*
yawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #92
de7ilznite
SUFISM!!!

The song titles sound a bit corny.

But ah well, fingers crossed. Muse haven't really disappointed me much so far.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #93
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Thats really weird.

Kerrang appear to have stolen that NME article. I read the exact same article in Kerrang. Hmmm......

But anyways, sounds funky. Knights Of Cydonia gives me a feeling of 'oh no, Muse's first crap song....' but I'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #94
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

^They talked to Kerrang and NME

The album better be worth the wait.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #95
Katfury

I hope it will be a billiant one just like the last one.
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Old 03-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #96
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

I'm hoping it won't be like the last one. Origin and Showbiz were way better then Absolution. (I love Absolution and I think it's brilliant, but other albums were bettter).

I heard on MuseLive about how Muse's progress is very like Queens. Queen's 4th album was the one that made them UBERfamous. The 4th album is really the make or break album.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #97
Katfury

Quote:
I'm hoping it won't be like the last one. Origin and Showbiz were way better then Absolution. (I love Absolution and I think it's brilliant, but other albums were bettter).

I heard on MuseLive about how Muse's progress is very like Queens. Queen's 4th album was the one that made them UBERfamous. The 4th album is really the make or break album.

I hope so because they are far far underrated in the U.K. especially compare to some other bands in the U.K. and also have a hit in the States too.
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Old 03-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #98
guywithguitar
Reggie stirred you, sir

Heh, you think they're underrated in the UK? They've had about fifteen singles released over there. We get TIRO, Hysteria, and an obscure release of Stockholm Syndrome.
guywithguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #99
Katfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithguitar
Heh, you think they're underrated in the UK? They've had about fifteen singles released over there. We get TIRO, Hysteria, and an obscure release of Stockholm Syndrome.

But if you compare to some of the guitar bands recently from the U.K. (which I think there are too much hype in some cases )then I do think they are still underrated in the U.K.
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Old 03-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #100
guywithguitar
Reggie stirred you, sir

yeah, I'm not saying they aren't, it's just that it seems as if they're even more underrated here. Moral of the story: Muse deserves more attention everywhere.
guywithguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: