Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2006, 12:50 AM   #61
J Lock

Saetia.
Indian Summer.
CTTS.
But you had more patience than I.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #62
sonixon
title and registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoISaDEADgenre
really? thanks for clearing that up person who ive never spoken to before. i was just making the suggestion that perhaps a generic band consisting of power chords with over produced screaming and cliche unorginal lyrics that has little to no melodic or hardcore qualities not be on the emo essentials list. i sincerely apoligize if i am wrong for doing so.

Powerchords are in everything. There's no escaping them, and you'll have to deal with that. All the over-produced cliche blah blah is your opinion of it, and andrew already said this was about stating what you think should be on the list and not what you think shouldn't.

And you say it has no hardcore qualities? This isn't a hardcore essentials thread, it's an emo essentials thread.

Anyways, this discussion is over.

Andrew: Are you going to edit in all of that junk into the first post ever?
sonixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #63
dougiecrystals
.hot.

I agree with Arcadia. First time I saw Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American up there, I didn't really dig the idea so much.

Right now I've just ran through the Bleed American tracks, and now I'm Table for Glasses on Clarity and already I really really think Clarity is more the essential album of Jimmy Eat World.

I always thought an 'essential' album of a band would mean it's the album that would define the band.
Also, an essentail album of a genre would be an album that basically defines (in this case, a time period of) the genre, not if it made the style popular or not. Well, ..actually it does I gues, but this case, I find, is an exception.

It's a no brainer why Bleed American made it big; it's pop.

I'm not saying anthing bad about the album, I mean, it's great, I love it.

But, really, in my opinion, the essential album of Jimmy Eat World would be 'Clarity'.

It's basically what you get when you mix Bleed American and Static Previals. Both albums great in their own right, but each lacked the a tad bit of what the other album has. Clarity is the perfect mix of both worlds.

Plus, I think Clarity easily has a more 'emo' sound Bleed American by far.

I mean, for awhile, for me, that album defined the 'emo' sound.

I don't know, that's what I think.

Anywus, I didn't notice if this album has already been said, and sadly I'm too lazy to look, I'm sure it has, but just in case if it hasn't:

Full Collapse - Thursday

Omg, I'm so stupid. It's already in the first fucking post. Forgive me. Please.

Last edited by dougiecrystals : 02-23-2006 at 08:10 PM.
dougiecrystals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #64
emoISaDEADgenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonixon
Powerchords are in everything. There's no escaping them, and you'll have to deal with that. All the over-produced cliche blah blah is your opinion of it, and andrew already said this was about stating what you think should be on the list and not what you think shouldn't.

And you say it has no hardcore qualities? This isn't a hardcore essentials thread, it's an emo essentials thread.

Anyways, this discussion is over.

Andrew: Are you going to edit in all of that junk into the first post ever?

powerchords aren't in everything. but i didn't mean powerchords are bad, just bad in excess amounts, and that would deffiantly apply to emery's music.

and im perfectly aware this isn't the hardcore forum, but you obviously have little knowledge of emo if you believe hardcore is of no relavence to the music.

but anyways, im a sorry to andrew (not you) for saying emery shouldn't be on the list however i think part of saying what should be on the list is elimating what shouldn't, so i was really just helping out...and this conversation might have been over, but i tend to be arguementative, so you (or however) really can't have expected me to just shut up like i probably should..

btw, i agree Indian Summer is an essential, and Embrace too should be added if not already.
Come on in and waste away awhile.
emoISaDEADgenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #65
J Lock

This thread is wrong.
The thread I hijacked should be referenced
Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #66
Andrewbiles

I agree with Indian Summer, but they only released records that are hard to find and one CD that only gets pressed when the singer can be assed. I'll add the CD anyway, but still...

The reason the thread has barely been updated is because my life's not dedicated to it, and also the whole point was to get everyone's opinion on what they considered essential and what not, yet few people have really backed anyone's suggestions up.

Changed the JEW album as well, I don't like 'Clarity' that much, that's why I put up 'Bleed American' at first. The songs on 'Clarity' just kill me, especially that 16 minute track at the end.

J Lock, you're really becoming boring now.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #67
J Lock

Oh yah?

This thread is not emo essentials.
Its indie turned pop-rock essentials.

Besides.
That whole thing of me being boring has been your rebuttle for whenever I speak up on this subject matter.
Its the only thing you have when you know I'm right.
You cannot prove me wrong.
You haven't and you won't.

Last edited by J Lock : 02-24-2006 at 11:06 AM.
J Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #68
sonixon
title and registration

^ No one cares. All you do is complain.
sonixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #69
Andrewbiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lock
Oh yah?

This thread is not emo essentials.
Its indie turned pop-rock essentials.

Besides.
That whole thing of me being boring has been your rebuttle for whenever I speak up on this subject matter.
Its the only thing you have when you know I'm right.
You cannot prove me wrong.
You haven't and you won't.

Have I ever said that you were wrong?
Infact, have you ever really said anything that people haven't already known?
Or, have you said much on this other than "I'm right, you're wrong"? or just general complaining in the past few months?
It's tiring reading the same thing over and over, it's like hearing a baby screaming on the train you're on when you've still got another ten stops to go.
For the past six months, or however long you've been moaning, you've really just been going on about how screamo is the only emo music out there when infact it's not and a lot has evolved out of the original emo music.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 02-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #70
J Lock

No.
Alot has evolved out of indie.
Alot has evolved out of pop-rock.
People have taken emo to mean something its not.
Emo is hardcore.
You cannot take the hardcore out of emo.
Thats what everyone has done and mutuated it into something it was never meant to be.
Which is what you are doing.
If something is called Emotional Hardcore, how can you continue to call it that when there is obviously no more connection to the original meaning?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #71
Andrewbiles

The term 'emo' originally never had much to do with the style of music, it was made up because of the way the bands acted and what they were singing about rather than what they played. It just happened that it came at a time and place that a hardcore scene was ripe and the bands that were acting this way played hardcore music, so it got landed with those bands. It did become attached to the hardcore style in the very late 80's, but by the point of this happening the changes started happening in where the influences were coming that the term 'emo-core' was derived which then became known as 'screamo'. 'Emo-core' was short for emotional hardcore, before that the term 'emo' really wasn't related to a specific style of playing.
Indie music doesn't have a specific sound, just like 'emo' music.

RateYourMusic
Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #72
emoISaDEADgenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbiles
The term 'emo' originally never had much to do with the style of music, it was made up because of the way the bands acted and what they were singing about rather than what they played. It just happened that it came at a time and place that a hardcore scene was ripe and the bands that were acting this way played hardcore music, so it got landed with those bands. It did become attached to the hardcore style in the very late 80's, but by the point of this happening the changes started happening in where the influences were coming that the term 'emo-core' was derived which then became known as 'screamo'. 'Emo-core' was short for emotional hardcore, before that the term 'emo' really wasn't related to a specific style of playing.
Indie music doesn't have a specific sound, just like 'emo' music.

not that i know this for sure, but i am going to guess you weren't in the D.C. area checking out hardcore bands during the MID and late 80s. besides, what i think you are refering to, isnt neccesarily true. the term emo was made to describe the way the band was playing (screaming, crying on stage, not facing the crowd, general dispositions of those that played) HOWEVER this was because of the creation of a new genre. no longer was the hardcore punk that was being played just politically fueled songs, instead bands started to change lyrical styles, the lyrical themes, AND the music. Why were hardcore bands that had emotional lyrics not coined emo first? They did exsist, but the term did not start until the change in music, lyrics, and stage apperance occured. but to be fair, i wasn't around for it either (though you were probably atleast alive back then..), but i feel the need to mention the part you left out.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #73
Andrewbiles

I'm too tired to actually make sense of that at the moment (most likely does make sense, my brain's not), so I'll come back to that tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Check the post now and see if that's cheered you lot up at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoISaDEADgenre
not that i know this for sure, but i am going to guess you weren't in the D.C. area checking out hardcore bands during the MID and late 80s. besides, what i think you are refering to, isnt neccesarily true. the term emo was made to describe the way the band was playing (screaming, crying on stage, not facing the crowd, general dispositions of those that played) HOWEVER this was because of the creation of a new genre. no longer was the hardcore punk that was being played just politically fueled songs, instead bands started to change lyrical styles, the lyrical themes, AND the music. Why were hardcore bands that had emotional lyrics not coined emo first? They did exsist, but the term did not start until the change in music, lyrics, and stage apperance occured. but to be fair, i wasn't around for it either (though you were probably atleast alive back then..), but i feel the need to mention the part you left out.

I really don't know what to reply to that because it seems to just back me up. You say, "the term emo was made to describe the way the band was playing", not what they played but rather how they played it. The creation of a new genre came with Rites of Spring and what-not, they didn't cry on stage to create a new genre and bands didn't conform with this to fit into the emo category. One of the members from the Hated once said, "no one used to call us emo in '86", why not? They were playing the same kind of music throughout the band's life, it just happened that the term emo first got landed with the way people were acting and later on it got stuck with the style of music.

RateYourMusic
Old 02-25-2006, 02:14 AM   #74
J Lock

The term emo was used to discern between hardcore bands like Embrace and Gorilla Biscuits.
Embrace was obviously a hardcore band with a different sound.
Gorilla Biscuits is obviously a hardcore band.
So, Emo was coined to discern the different types of hardcore going around.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:14 AM   #75
MattDaviesFFAF
Secretly Ironic

Location: Ireland, Dublin (Member #4 of the Biffy Clyro Fan Club. PM onlyonehere to join.)
Ok, well how about instead of arguing about the exact meaning of the word
Quote:
Emo

How about we're all thankful that everyone here knows that emo is not emotional rock and that HH are not emo.

Oh, andrew, is it Scmapp'n Scmazz that's on Analphabetapolothology?

I always thought it was "Burritos, inspiration point, fork baloon sports..." and lotsa rare tracks and b-sides and live songs...

Anyone have a track-list for Scmapp'n Schmazz?

Last edited by MattDaviesFFAF : 02-25-2006 at 11:18 AM.
MattDaviesFFAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #76
emoISaDEADgenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbiles
I'm too tired to actually make sense of that at the moment (most likely does make sense, my brain's not), so I'll come back to that tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Check the post now and see if that's cheered you lot up at all.

I really don't know what to reply to that because it seems to just back me up. You say, "the term emo was made to describe the way the band was playing", not what they played but rather how they played it. The creation of a new genre came with Rites of Spring and what-not, they didn't cry on stage to create a new genre and bands didn't conform with this to fit into the emo category. One of the members from the Hated once said, "no one used to call us emo in '86", why not? They were playing the same kind of music throughout the band's life, it just happened that the term emo first got landed with the way people were acting and later on it got stuck with the style of music.

sorry i was tired myself when i made that post and may have misinturrupted(sp) what you had said. i guess my point was, that though emo may have descirbed how they played (and the crying thing was just an example, i wasn't refering to rites of spring) it wasn't a description given to just any hardcore band, only given to emotional hardcore bands..and so logically you might assume that emo described more than just stage presence or it would have been applied to more bands during the day. as for an explanation for the Hated, well i can't answer that question, but i can say that it would have been unlikely for such a new name to a sound that wasn't all to common at that time to spread like wildfire.

and i would hope Scmapp'n Scmazz is on Analphabetapolothology b/c though Analphabetapolothology was messy, it has some great essential emo songs.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #77
pixiesfanyo
the pain is easy

Husker Du as an infulence on emo?

...?

You're getting Post-Punk/Post-Hardcore mixed up with emo.
pixiesfanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #78
Gurgle!Argh!
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDaviesFFAF
Ok, well how about instead of arguing about the exact meaning of the word
How about we're all thankful that everyone here knows that emo is not emotional rock and that HH are not emo.

Oh, andrew, is it Scmapp'n Scmazz that's on Analphabetapolothology?

I always thought it was "Burritos, inspiration point, fork baloon sports..." and lotsa rare tracks and b-sides and live songs...

Anyone have a track-list for Scmapp'n Schmazz?

shmapp'n shmazz is the same album as 'burritos, inspiration point, fork balloon sports...'. theyre just different names for the same thing.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #79
Leftover_Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesfanyo
Husker Du as an infulence on emo?

...?

You're getting Post-Punk/Post-Hardcore mixed up with emo.

Husker Du's album Zen Arcade pretty much laid down the foundations for what Embrace and Rites Of Spring we're going to do a bit later and I think we can all recall what happened after that.

andrewbiles is pretty much correct, emo is more of the lyrical styling of a hardcore band and the term emo was commonly used as a put-down to kids who listen to indian summer and other bands, it wasn't even a genre at first. A bunch of the first emo bands didn't even consider themselves emo, they all thought they we're hardcore punk. But nowadays with all the emo/screamo bands about, you can discern the exact styling alot easier and the characteristics are more notable since we have all the bands we do now.

Last edited by Leftover_Crack : 02-25-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Leftover_Crack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #80
Andrewbiles

^ Thank you, crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgle!Argh!
shmapp'n shmazz is the same album as 'burritos, inspiration point, fork balloon sports...'. theyre just different names for the same thing.

The CD version of it seems to just get called 'cap'n jazz' as well, but I've only ever seen the record version called one of the two you've mentioned.

RateYourMusic
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: