Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Danno13
Also a five-star chef.

Celebrity Rig: Black Label Society

Just to show I still love you guys, I've kept working on my pet project (the Celeb Rig) even while I'm banned.

So here it is: BLS's official Rig! Thanks to Chad at Zakkwylde.com for photos and info.

PART 1: ZAKK WYLDE'S GUITARS

Zakk's Buzzsaw Les Paul. This is a
Gibson Zakk Wylde signature model with Zakk's custom sawblade paint job.
Zakk wanted a guitar with the Dukes Of Hazard General Lee car colors,
and the buzzsaw design came from his right-hand-man, Tim Bolin's Zippo
Lighter. All Zakk's signature models feature EMG 81 & 85 "Zakk Wylde
Set" pickups.

Zakk's Bullseye Les Paul. This is
actually the second one Gibson made for him. He does not take the
original on tour, since getting it back from a fan who found it at a
pawn shop. This guitar originally fell out of the trailer on the
Stronger Than Death tour, and Zakk got it back a couple years ago.

Zakk's polkadot Randy Rhoads V. This guitar
was created for Zakk by GMW Guitar Works. It features Dimarzio pickups
and a Floyd Rose, which is flush-mounted to the body so it's not
floating. Zakk has an identical one featuring a white body and black
polka dots, and used both of them this summer on Ozzfest.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Danno13
Also a five-star chef.

PART 2: ZAKK AND NICK CATANESE'S SOUND GEAR

Zakk's amps and cabs. Zakk uses JCM800 Marshall
amplifiers with Marshall 4X12 cabs housing Electro Voice Zakk Wylde
signature "Black Label" (will be released soon!) 120 watt 12" speakers

Zakk recently started using the MXR Stereo Chorus.
Nick still uses the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble pedal
and Zakk uses the MXR EVH Phase 90 (nick does
not) phaser pedal and Zakk and Nick both use the
Dunlop Rotovibe and Dunlop Zakk Wylde signature Wylde Wah pedals.

Zakk & Nick's road rack for strings and cleaning
supplies... this is usually how the guitar pit looks
on a daily basis...

Last edited by Danno13 : 09-10-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
Danno13
Also a five-star chef.

PART 3: NICK'S GUITARS

Nick Catanese's red top Washburn signature ET
Idol...

Nick's gray top Washburn signature ET
Idol

Nick's Washburn Dime Southern Cross.
Nick's signature Idols feature a 2 1/4" thick body with EMG 81 & 85
"Zakk Wylde Set" pickups.

Offstage, Moby uses the Korg 2000 rack mount tuners, GHS Zakk Wylde
Light and GHS Zakk Wylde Lo strings on Zakk & Nick's guitars. Zakk and
Nick both play Dunlop 1.0 tortex picks. Nick drinks Arizona Green Tea and Zakk drinks whatever's in the ice chest.

OK, beat, that's all. You can move it now.
-Dan
Old 12-10-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

Celebrity Rig - Mark Knopfler

Celebrity Rig - Mark Knopfler
I was stuck with who to do, and since not as many people know about Mark?s equipment than Eric Clapton?s and stuff I decided I?d do Mark Knopflers?s.

Guitars
1937 National Style ?O? Resonator (Serial Number - B1844)
This is probably one of Mark?s most famous guitars, and has featured on every album. (Water of Love, Portobello Belle, Romeo & Juliet, Telegraph Road, The Man?s Too Strong, When it Comes to You) Featured on the cover to the album Brothers In Arms

1961 Stratocaster (SN - 80470)
This was Mark?s main guitar through 1977 to 1979, and was used extensively live. Quite easy to pick out because of its black volume knob. It has a non-standard red finish; to replicate Hank Marvin?s Strat he adored so much as a child. Also, you may notice that it has a maple fingerboard, and that they weren?t available at the time. As a result of the replacement, there is no skunk stripe. The strap button from the upper horn has been moved onto the back. These mods were done by a repair man called Sam Lee (probably sometime during 1978). The guitar can be seen on the Sultans Of Swing and Wild West End Videos. In 1982 the neck was replaced with a one piece maple Schecter neck.
1978; you can see there?s no volume knob (and you can see the strap goes behind).

Around the same time, he had another red Strat (SN - 68354), which again was painted red (was natural). However, this one remained mainly stock, with only a pickup being replaced (a Dimarzio FS-1 in the neck in the late 70?s) (As far as I know that?s the only mod). This guitar wasn?t used as often live as the one above. He still uses this guitar live today however (his main live guitar really, I?m guessing with some reissues too). This is also the basis model for his Fender Signature Strat.

During the late 70s he also used a Black Tele Thinline (SN - 226254) that belonged to his brother David. He used it live on Water Of Love between ?77 and ?79, and David used it on Wild West End. It was tuned to open A and capoed at the 5th fret. The F-holes had been filled in before hand by Steve Phillips of the Notting Hillbillies, and he also painted it black.

From around 1980, his main axe turned to a Schecter Strat copy (SN - S8218), in candy apple red with chrome dome knobs, white pickguard and individual on/off switches for each pickup. Pickups were later changed the SDs, possibly SSL1s, then again with SD Alnico Pros. Maple neck without any position markers on the fretboard with Dunlop 6110 frets (at the time he used it anyway). This guitar was used at Live Aid in 1985.

Schecter Sunburst Strat copy. Quilted maple top finished in sunburst. Unusually for a Schecter Strat of the time it has position markers on the top of the fretboard. It was used for Tunnel Of Love but it was stolen. Mark?s favourite guitar.

In 1984 came Mark?s Schecter Tele copy in red (SN - S8703) , with binding to the top. Used on the Walk Of Life video, he has used it live for that song ever since. It was also used on the soundtrack Cal, which was where he first used it.

Around the same time came Mark?s 1984 Les Paul reissue (SN9 90006) (one of the first reissue Les Pauls, modeled after a late 50?s LP). He used this on Money For Nothing (it is seen on the cover and reverse of the album Money For Nothing also) and Brothers In Arms on the album Brothers In Arms. He also used this guitar at Live Aid in 1985.

1985 Saw a bit of a hybrid guitar, assembled by John Suhr. Schecter neck and body, and a Fender bridge. Seymour Duncan Alnico Pros and Dunlop 6110 frets. The headstock says Fender, though it isn?t. It was used in the late 80?s, and a model of it can be seen on the Calling Elvis video (the video contains puppets of the band playing). Mark still owns the puppet from this video too!

From 1987 onwards Mark played a lot of Pensa-Suhr guitars made by Rudy Pensa. His main guitar was this Pensa Suhr custom (SN - 001), and can be seen on many pictures from the late 80s early 90s. First used at Nelson Mandela?s 75th birthday party in 1988. Flame top, EMG 85/SA/SA combo (85 unusually without a mounting ring, which the signature model has), Floyd rose, push/pull mid boost and a network developed to make the combo position more balanced on the EMG 85/SA combo. Basis for the Pensa MK-1 Signature model.

Pensa custom, basis for the MK-2 signature. Received around the time of Golden Heart. Strat style single coil setup, Strat style hardtail bridge, 24.6? scale, mahogany body, flamed koa top and Lindy Fralin ?54 pickups. Used on Golden Heart, Last Exit To Brooklyn and Father & Son on the Golden Heart Tour in 1996.

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.

Last edited by Calum_Barrow : 12-10-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

Pensa MK-80 (SN - 0001). Built for Mr. Knopfler on January 29 2004. This is Mark?s newest Signature guitar, and is probably modeled after his 8218 Schecter Strat. The neckplate is engraved:

1954 Sunburst Stratocaster (SN 059). 59th ever made. He got this guitar as a gift from Paul Kennerly. Strung up with D?addario 12s and was used on I?m The Fool.

1954 Telecaster. Used on recent tours. Bridge stampted 4545. Don?t know too much about this instrument.

From left to right - Gibson Southerner Jumbo (1953), Fender Stratocaster (1954), Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1938), Gibson Les Paul (1958), National Style ?O? (circa '38), Fender Telecaster (1954), Martin HD40 MK Signature (2001).

Those are his main guitars, but there are others too. Amps and effects etc. will follow, but I'm still writing it!

Last edited by Calum_Barrow : 12-10-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

He has three Pensa signature models, a Fender and a Martin. That's five so far!

EDIT: He has a great collection though; 59th Strat, 1961 Strats, 1954 Tele, 58 + 59 Les Pauls, 1939 National...

Last edited by Calum_Barrow : 12-10-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

Amps
Selmer 2 x 12 tube amp with the Cafe Racers

Fender Vibrolux, early sixties, brown, one 12" speaker, about 30 Watts
Mark still owns it, it was used on the Golden Heart album.
You can hear this amp on the CD bootleg Early Demos.

Debut Album :
Fender Twin Reverb, silver face
Roland Jazz Chorus
live:
January
Fender Concert Amp, blackface, 4 x 10"
May
Fender Twin Reverb, silverface
June
Fender Twin Reverb, silver face, with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets
end of 1978
two Fender Twin Reverbs, silver face,
or Music Man HD 130, 2 x 12", 130 Watts

early 1979
Music Man HD 130, 2 x 12", 130 Watts
from July on
Music Man HD 130, 2 x 12", 130 Watts, JBL speakers (most likely D120 or K120)

1980-81
early 1980 (BBC Arena documentary)
Music Man HD 130, 2 x 12", 130 Watts, JBL speakers (most likely D120 or K120)
on Making Movies (album & tour)
two Music Man HD 130, 2 x 12", 130 Watts, played over Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets

1982-84
Love over Gold album
Mesa Boogie heads with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers
Marshall head
live
Mesa Boogie heads with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers

1985-86
Brothers in Arms album
Marshall JTM on track Brothers in Arms
Jim Kelley combo amp with an EVM12L
live
or Jim Kelly heads with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers

1987-89
most likely same setup as before
Gallien & Krueger amps on the Willy DeVille album Miracle
from Randy Newman's Land of Dreams on:
Soldano SLO 100 with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers

1990-92
live and studio:
two Soldano SLO 100 with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers
on the album On Every Street some old Fender amps as well

album Golden Heart
Soldano SLO 100 with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers
Crate VC5212, 50 Watts, 2 x 12" speakers
live:
two Soldano SLO 100 with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers
or
two Crate VC5212 with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets, equipped with Electro Voice speakers

Today he still uses many of the amps he has used for the past 30 years, but live he uses two Komet ?The Komet? heads with red Marshall 4x12? cabs. The heads are around 50W.

Some pics of the amps and cabs used during the recording of Ragpicker?s Dream (2002) and Sailing To Philadelphia (2004). He still uses all the amps today (AFAIK).

EDIT: Thanks to http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3399/ for the amp info (Dire Straits days)

Old 12-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

I've got a pic of his 58 like Scorzerci said, and I said i didn't include all his guitars, just the main ones. He actually uses a '59 as a backup to the '58 most of the time, and the reissue isn't used much nowadays IIRC.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

Effects
Mark is pretty well known to not change his tone a great deal with effects. He usually uses a combination of compression, volume pedals and chorus and similar, clean, effects.
During the first few years, it is SAID that he used a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer when recording (i.e. on the first album). The sound engineer for this album said he was ?in love with Roland Chorus devices?, which would probably be true as he used the chorus on his cleans (most noticeable on Lions). Live he used a Morley Volume pedal and an MXR delay. The Morley was used for creating bow type sounds. The thing about the Morley is that even when fully open it still rounded out the sound of the guitar (due to the 66K impedance on the input). The MXR had a true bypass, that, when depressed sent the unchanged signal to the amp, with no change in the tone whatsoever.
During 1979 he began to use a Nady Transmitter, which affected his tone quite a bit (especially live when he would normally use long cables). Because the cable length between the guitar and the transmitter is very short, and the same at the other side of the receiver, the tone during performances around that time were considerably brighter.

These are the setups he typically used throughout the 80s and early 90s:

1980/81
Customized rack comprising:
Deltalab Delay Unit
Flanger
Master R Reverb
Roland Equalizer
Mantec Switch Unit
Roland Choms Echo
Mantec Preamp
2 Main Transformers
Morley Volume Pedal
Mantec Remote Switching Unit
Nady guitar transmitter

1985/86
Custom rack including:
Roland SRE 555 Chorus/Echo
Delt Lab Digital Delay
Mic-Mix Dyna-Flanger
Master Room Reverb Unit
Roland Graphic EQ
Ibanez UE 303 Multi Effect
A variety of Boss pedals, including:
CE 300 Chorus
DM 2 Delay
CS 2 Compressor
Two CE 2 Chorus
BF 2 Flanger
PH 2 Phaser
OC 2 Octaver

1991/92
Custom system built by Pete Cornish, including:
TC 2290 Delay
Alesis Quadraverb
Boss Super Chorus CE 300
Zoom Multieffect 9010
Yamaha REV 5 (reverb)
two TC-Equalizers/Preamps (for the National and Ramirez guitars)
Wah Wah (Money for Nothing), integrated into the rack system
Earney Ball Volume Pedal
Sony Wireless system

Ron Eve:

"When Mark and I discussed what equipment he would be using for the tour, we decided that although the Crate Vintage 50w combo amp had served exceptionally well in the studio, operationally there would be problems on stage. There was no way to smoothly and quickly change guitars and set up new sounds for each song, even using two combos. So Mark decided to use a cut-down version of the set-up from the last Dire Straits tour (On Every Street). He wanted to use the two Soldano 100 Lead heads but without the Marshall/EV speaker cabinets and Pete Cornish effects rack. He was keen to try using 2 x 12 cabinets, again with EV speakers and a simple FX set-up comprising "some expensive delay and reverb..." and a footswitch. The final arrangement consisted of an Ernie Ball volume pedal, Active Lead, 2 Soldano amp heads (alternating A/B), 2 Hughes & Kettner 2 x 12 cabinets (loaded with EV's), TC2290 delay unit, Lexicon 300 reverb unit, MXR micro amp and a TC 0144 footswitch. The Crate combos will be used for back-up. The TC 2290 was used as the main controller and MIDI'd to the Lexicon, with the Lexicon patched through one of the loops; the MXR was hooked through another loop, to provide a clean boost and a footswitch assigned to toggle it in/out. Another switch was assigned to toggle the repeat (delay) on/off. As rehearsals progressed, patches containing each songs' effects set-up were assigned to various presets (switchable from the TC0144). Tone settings for each song were set up on the Soldanos with the aim of switching amps between each song. Fast segues between songs can be accomodated in this way."

Quite a lot of info on this one, I'm surprised I found this much!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
ClassicAxe

Celebrity Rig - Eddie Van Halen

Celebrity Rig: Eddie Van Halen
Guitars

Full name- Edward Lodewijk Van Halen
Birth date ? January 26 , 1955
Birth place ? Nijmegen, Netherlands

Some info on Ed ?

Full name- Edward Lodewijk Van Halen
Birth date ? January 26 , 1955
Birth place ? Nijmegen, Netherlands

"Eddie was around age twelve when he first started to learn guitar. He was so committed to playing the guitar, that he played it all day, everyday. Sometimes, he would even skip school to stay at home and practice. By 14 he had learned almost every Cream solo of Eric Clapton note for note. In an April 1996, interview with [[Guitar World]], when asked about how he went from playing his first open G chord, to playing "Eruption", he simply replied "''Practice. I used to sit on the edge of my bed with a six-pack of Schlitz Malt talls. My brother would go out at 7 P.M. to party and get laid, and when he'd come back at 3 A.M., I would still be sitting in the same place, playing guitar. I did that for years--I still do that.''"

Eddie Van Halen! What dont you like about him? His blindingly fast self taught technique? His insane tapping and finger stretches? The fact that all of his solos and his playing are derived from blues? The fact that he was shredding like noone else had ever heard(was shred even a term back then?, and ever will? In 1978!

Eddie Van Halens main influences:

Eric Clapton He liked other guitarists, but i wouldnt count them as influences. I've read over 30 evh interviews before doing this celeb rig, and have read where hendrix wanst a influence at all. Which was a suprise to me... He said hendrix wasnt the style he liked, and wasnt into him at all.

Ill just give you the interview section my self. Check it out.

I did an interview once with Circus magazine, and they asked me, "Who are your main influences?" I said, "Well, Clapton, you know, the usuals." And they said, "Oh, not Jimi Hendrix?" I go, "No, actually I didn't like Jimi Hendrix at all. He was too flash for me. I get off on the bluesy feeling that Clapton projected, even though I don't play like Clapton or sound like him at all." Which doesn't sound egoed out, because I don't sound like him. But when I read it back, they made it seem like, "I don't play like Clapton. I'm better than all of 'em." That's the way it read in print. So I called the guy up. I just go, "Hey, **** you, man! That's the last time I'm doing an interview with you." Which I guess is bad to do too, but the ****ed thing is the kids only know me through what they read. I feel like going door to door and going, "Hey, this is bull****. Don't believe it." But the kids do. I ain't no extrovert. I'm a quiet person. That's probably why I do all these weird things on guitar.

Just a short list of some guitarists who were influenced by Eddie Van Halen:

Joey Allen - David Anderson - Jennifer Batten - Jason Becker - Vito Bratta - Michael Britt - Jerry Cantrell - Phil Collen - Dimebag Darrell - Warren DeMartini - C.C. DeVille -Brett Garsed - Greg Howe - Damon Johnson - Jake E. Lee - Vernon Reid - Randy Rhoads - Joe Satriani - Steve Vai - George Lynch

This Is. Eddie Van Halen

Guitars

Im not listing all of his guitars. He's got WAY to many. i'll just list his main ones.

Charvel Strat. Although he used it throughout his career, it was used mainly on VH1 and VH2.
Edward bought Charvel ash body in 1975 for fifty dollars and a charvel neck for eighty dollars. Originally, the body came with single-coil bridge, neck, and middle pickup positions pre-routed and Van Halen, with a chisel, excavated a hole to house a humbucker in the bridge position. He placed in this chiseled hole a P.A.F. from a 1961 Gibson ES-335. Fender trem, brass nut(would oil it so it wouldnt go out of tune so he could use the wammy bar), schaller tuners... Personally, this is my favorite guitar he used. It just screams Van Halen! Don?t you think? On Van Halen II Ed went with a similiar strat body, made by Ed (just like all of his guitars) with the help of Charvel. He wanted it to be rear-loaded, so he wouldnt have a pickgaurd. At the time, he couldnt afford a router, so he had Charvel route the body. The pickup used on the photo session for VH2 was not the actual pickup he used, he just slapped one in there for the shoot. He tried out lots of pickups he didnt like, so he tried a DiMarzio pickup, and he didnt go for them. Eddie has said he likes a clean sound, but with sustain. The DiMarzio pickups are real distorted. From there, Ed custom wound his pickups , particulary a DiMarzio pickup and a PAF magnet, rewound with copper tape around the windings, dipped in paraffin wax, to cut down on feedback. He actually ruined 3 pickups trying to wound it, by the 4th time he got it to work. This was a factor in his "brown sound" ... If you havent noticed, Ed's original work has never been the same since Van Halen I.

Kramer Strat. In 1983 Ed began endorsing Kramer guitars and used customized Kramer guitars and necks.He started using Kramers in the Diver Down era.
1984 Kramer Baretta Guitars

Edward Van Halen's 1984 and 5150 guitars are one of the most recognizable guitars in rock history. Ed assembled the guitars himself at the Kramer factory, and even painted it himself with Krylon "rattle-can" paint. The guitars consisted of an original Floyd Rose tremolo, one humbucker, and a single volume knob. A very simple guitar, for a very simple sound that is truly amazing.

The myth behind this great guitar is that it is a Kramer Baretta. This is actually a totally custom guitar made from custom parts in the old Kramer Guitar Factory in Neptune NJ. Another fact is that the body isn't actually a Baretta. The body is what would have been known as a Kramer Pacer Special. In fact, the control cavity is very different from most Kramers that were produced in the 80's. They proved to be a good candidate to hold his cigarattes

MM Ernie Ball Guitars

IMO this guitar totally changed VH imo. He should of stuck with the original striped stuff, but whatever. Here, eddie changes everything! From guitars to picks. Ill tell you about his huge change in equipment later down the page.

Im not to knowledgable of this guitar, im not really into the 88'+ equipment...
Heres the specs though -

Size: 12 5/8" wide, 1" thick, 36 5/8" long
Weight: 8 pounds. Varies Slightly
Body: Wood Basswood with bookmatched figure mapel top
Finish: High gloss polyester
Bridge: Music Man Floyd Rose licensed tremolo
Neck
Size Scale: 25" Radius: 10"
Headstock: Only 5 7/8" long
Frets: 22 - Special design unique profile fretwire
Width: 1 5/8" at nut, 2 5/32" at last fret
Wood Selected: maple neck and fingerboard, digitally carved
to Ed's specifications
Tuners: Schaller M6La with pearl buttons
Electronics
Pickups: 2 Custom DiMarzio Humbucking
Controls: 500K volume pot with "tone" knob (the way Ed likes it!)
Switch: 3-way toggle pickup selector

Peavey
From there, he started using Peavy guitars VERY similiar to the MM guitars. He named them after his son wolfgang(Which jams with eddie every once in a while at live concerts!).

PEAVEY PARTS WITH EDWARD VAN HALEN

World-famous manufacturer launches 6505? amplifiers, Carina? guitars

December 21, 2004

Peavey Int'l. Headquarters?Peavey announces it has parted with Edward Van Halen after a 13-year partnership. Peavey collaborated with the guitarist on his signature-model Peavey Wolfgang® Series electric guitars and Peavey 5150® Series amplifiers.

According to the company, Van Halen retains the rights to the names 5150 and Wolfgang, as well as certain design elements of the Wolfgang guitar, but the 5150's circuitry and tone will remain in the Peavey family as the 6505? amplifier. Peavey will launch the new 6505?named in celebration of Peavey's first forty years, 1965 to 2005?at the Winter NAMM (International Music Products Association) Expo, Jan. 20-24, 2005, in Anaheim, Calif.

Peavey will also debut its Carina (Italian for 'beautiful') guitars to replace the Wolfgang. Carina? Series guitars highlight many of the Peavey innovations used in the Wolfgang and other Peavey guitars, including computer-shaped necks that ensure all Carina guitars exhibit a consistent, comfortable neck radius and superior playability.

The hugely successful 5150 Series guitar amplifiers and Wolfgang electric guitars, which launched in 1991 and 1995, respectively, have become staples of modern rock music. Endorsers ranging from Ted Nugent, 3 Doors Down and Default to underground metal heroes Atreyu, Darkest Hour and God Forbid, and even power-punkers such as Visqueen, have lauded the contributions these Peavey products have made to rock 'n' roll.

"I'm very proud of the work we accomplished with Edward," says Peavey founder and CEO Hartley Peavey. "The 5150 Series has earned its place as a rock guitar standard, and the Wolfgang is a staple in the pantheon of rock instrumentation. They're both well respected pieces, and I'm glad we could bring those to life.

Well, i guess that about sums it up for the guitar part of this rig.
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator

Last edited by ClassicAxe : 12-31-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
ClassicAxe

Effects and Equipment

This is what you've all been waiting for... How to get that eddie sound? What equipment does he use? His effects?

I'll try and get as close as i can to nailing his gear, but i dont think ANYONE knows what his exact gear is.... besides the man himself.

Also, at first, all of his effects are ducktaped to an old piece of wood. He got ragged on alot about that, until he plugged in

Edward Van Halen?s technique, tone, and style are legendary. In a period where rock guitar had become stagnant, Edward burst onto the scene like a fireball. As we moved into the 80?s, it seemed everyone had become an Eddie-clone, with their custom hot-rodded guitars strat-styled guitars and Marshall 100 watt tops. Edward?s sound from that era has been dubbed the "brown sound". Let?s look into how what he used in the early days of Van Halen.

Amps

There are many misconceptions about Edward Van Halen?s primary amplifier used for recording. Rumors have abounded about the amplifier being heavily modified and some of these rumors were in fact generated by Mr. Van Halen himself (he admitted telling these stories to help generate business for tech friend Jose Arrendo?s shop). However, in truth according to our best knowledge, his amplifier of choice for recording, a mid-60?s 100 watt Marshall Super Lead, was primarily stock (Note: see studio diagram description for more info on this). Edward was adamant about getting his tone through the power tubes and consequently set all volume and tone controls on the Marshall to 10. He controlled the overall volume output in two ways.

First, he used an Ohmite Variac, a variable transformer that could lower or raise the voltage going into the amplifier (see photo for what a typical Variac looks like). Edward set the variac to approximately 90 volts, thereby reducing the amount of input voltage going to the amplifier (see the Marshall Super Lead article for more information about variacs and attenuators) and allowing the amp to run more reliably. A key element often not considered today when running vintage Marshall amplifiers is that many that were made for export to the U.S. were designed to run at 110 volts and current U.S. outlets run at 120 volts. As a result, while there has been much talk about the dangers of using a variac, in many applications, it obviously serves a benefit.

100 watt Marshall plexi with Sylvania 6CA7's

Later on he switched to Soldanos... After that, he switched to Peavey 5150's...

Effects and Settings...

Edward also did use some effects to color his sound. On the first album, one can hear the slow phase effect of an MXR Phase 90 pedal on many sections. He also used an old Echoplex EP3 tape echo unit as well as an MXR Flanger. His pedal board consisted of these three devices, but in the studio, extra equalization was often employed in his dummy-load setup, consisting of an equalizer placed just prior to his H & H power amplifier.

Also known to be very creative with instruments and effects, Edward employed many unusual uses of effects. Listen to the intro of "And The Cradle Will Rock" to hear the sound of an MXR Flanger being placed in between Edward?s electronic keyboard and a cranked Marshall.

Variac to lower the main voltage( Adds to his "brown sound" and lengthens tube life)

Dummy load resistor, adjusted to about 20 ohms

MXR 90 Phaser
MXR Flanger

Echoplex-EP3

Univox EC-80 Echo

Other effects he used / later used include -

-MXR 6 band eq
-Rockman Noise Gates
-Dunlop Wah
-Palmer Speaker Simulater Unit
-Eventide H-3000 Harmonizer Unit
-Roland SDE 3000 Delay Unit
-Lexicon PCM70 Reverb Unit
-Boss Octave
-Boss SD1

Kay, there ya go.

I've got some really cool van halen videos, and sound files.... If any one wants to hear them, i'll post them right up..

Hope you guys enjoyed!
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator

Last edited by ClassicAxe : 12-31-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #12
ClassicAxe

http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/v/van_halen/

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96781308/K=eddie+van+halen/v=2/SID=e/l=VDP/SIG=13qutt0g9/EXP=1136148206/*-http://eev2.liu.edu/ee0406/DF/images/Eddie%20Van%20Halen%20-%20(Les%20Paul%20Tribute%20Show%20'88).mpg

http://eev2.liu.edu/ee0406/DF/image...%20Eruption.mpg

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...&q=van+halen%5C

There you go italynlprkn

I'll get some more in a minute.
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Old 01-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #13
Zen_Zepplin
Bann3d

Anothe Picture of his rig, courtesy of guitargeek

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
nOtReGiStErEd
p-90= TONE!

Celebrity Rigs: James Iha and Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle

A Perfect Circle made their debut in 2000 with "Mer de Noms" and has since released "Thirteenth Step", the covers and remix collection "eMOTIVE" and the DVD "aMotion".
The band features Josh Freese (The Vandals) on drums, former Tool, Nine Inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins guitar tech Billy Howerdel on guitar and Tool vocalist Maynard James Keenan. The band has previously featured Troy van Leeuwen (now of Queens of the Stone Age) and former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Danny Lohner on guitar and both played on "Thirteenth Step". But when it came time to prepare for touring Lohner and Howerdels' styles didn't work as well live as in the studio, and van Leeuwen had already joined QOTSA. So Howerdel called upon former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha to join the band. Thirteenth Step also features former Marilyn Manson bassist Jeordie White (aka. Twiggy Ramirez) who joined the band after Paz Lenchantin (Bass/Violin) left to join Billy Corgan's short lived Zwan.

The band has a very textural, layered sound and both guitarist use a lot of effects to replicate the sound of the albums.

James Iha's rig is fairly similar to that he had used since Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, but is in fact simplified.
From a Shure wireless system, James' signal is sent to his rack.
Marshall JMP1 preamp:
This is a MIDI programmable tube preamp with 4 channels and 100 presets. Two ECC38 tubes are at the heart of the preamp's design.
*other noted users include Dave Murray and Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden

Lexicon MPX G2 effects unit:
This rack effects unit has an analog front end and effects can be palced either in front of a preamp/amp or in the effects loop. It features 76 different effects, both analog and digital, up to 7 of which can be used at once.

Mesa/Boogie Strategy 500 power amp:\
This MASSIVE rack power amp is considered by many to be one of Mesa/Boogie's best. It feature 8 6l6 and 4 6550 tubes, for tons of headroom.
(Billy corgan also used the JMP1 and Strategy 500 rig for a time in the Smashing Pumpkins)

To control his rig, Iha uses a Digital Music Ground Control foot controller.

Guitars:
Since his early days with the Pumpkins, Iha has favoured Les Paul Customs. Live with APC, he uses them exclusively.
These are his two original LP customs, one black and one silverburst(with Duncan JB pickup in the bridge).

Live with APC, he is said to have been using recent reissues, but any Silverbursts that might have been used would likely be original 80s models.
Live with APC playing a Les Paul Custom:

Last edited by nOtReGiStErEd : 02-13-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #15
nOtReGiStErEd
p-90= TONE!

Marshall JMP1:

The Lexicon MPX G2:

Strategy 500:

James also uses an Akai s6000 sampler to trigger string arrangements for certain songs.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #16
nOtReGiStErEd
p-90= TONE!

On to Mr. Howedel:

Alright, the man used to be a guitar tech so you know he's going to have a rig all of us gear heads can drool over.

Guitars:
Howerdel's main guitars are Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 reissues, fitted with Tom Anderson humbuckers (H3+ bridge and H1- neck). He uses Ernie Ball Strings gauged .012 to .056 (The band tunes to c# standard).
His favourite Les Paul is a Cinnaburst finished 1991 model with a repaired headstock, that has been set at the wrong angle, possibly, says Billy, contributing to the fact that it "plays and sounds better than any guitar i've ever had".
On the "Thirteenth Step" tour, Howerdel has also used Gibson ES-175. To control the feedback, foam is simply placed inside the f-holes (edit: the source that said ES-137s seems to have been wrong, i've seen pictures that are DEFINITELY 175s)

Rig: Howerdel's amp is a 1978 Marshall JMP 100 watt superlead that has been modified by amp guru Dave Friedman and now features channel switching and an effects loop.
Howerdel uses two VHT cabs, one loaded with celestion greenbacks (for some speaker cone breakup) and the other with 60 watt vintage 30s.

Howerdel's effects setup is very complex, so i'll list all of the effects units used and in my next post i'll go over the signal chain.

Lexicon MPX G2: Like Iha and bassist Jeordie White, Howerdel uses an MPX G2. He says that he likes the analog front end which reacts the same way stompboxes would to changes in his signal's level.

Tc Electronic Fireworx: This is an extremely high end piece of rack equipment. One interresting feature is that you can monitor the amount of DSP power in use to ensure that quality isn't decreased by using too many effects at once.
List of features (from TC electronics website):
· Expander/Gate
· Soft Compressor
· Hard Compressor/Limiter
· Resonance Filter
· Bandpass Filter
· Phaser
· Resonator
· Resochord Filter
· Formant Filter
· Drive Distortion
· Cruncher Distortion
· Vocoder
· Ring Modulator
· Curve Generator Synth.
· Chaos Generator Synth.
· Noise Generator Synth.
· Single Voice Pitch shift
· Dual Voice Pitch shift
· Classic Chorus
· Advanced Chorus
· Classic Flanger
· Advanced Flanger
· Stereo Delay
· Dual mono Delay
· Dual Three Tap Delay
· One Tap Delay
· Six Tap Delay
· Reverse Delay
· Reverb
· Advanced Reverb
· Simple Tremolo
· Advanced Tremolo
· Simple Panner
· Surround Panner
· Stereo Enhancer
· 5 band Parametric EQ
· 4 band modifiable parametric EQ
· Feedback Send
· Feedback Return
· Insert Send
· Insert Return

Digitech GSP-2101: This is a tube preamp and effects unit, but only effects are used. mot very much information available, but it has effects, EQ and MIDI switching capabilities.

TC electronics G-force: Another Multi-fx unit, again very in-depth programmability.

Eventide Orville: This is Eventide's top of the line pitch shifter, incorporating their latest technology. It also features distortion, reverbs, flangers etc.

To switch between all of these processors, Howerdel uses a Digital Music Corp. GCX Audiot switcher, a Custom audio engineering line transormer and mixer a lexicon R1 MIDI foot controller and an ernie ball expression pedal

signal chain coming up....

Last edited by nOtReGiStErEd : 02-13-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
nOtReGiStErEd
p-90= TONE!

Signal chain for Howerdel:

GUITAR -->
GROUND MUSIC CORPORATION GCX GUITAR AUDIO SWITCHER =--->(main out)
LEXICON MPX G2 (the section that works before the preamp) --->
CUASTOM AUDIO ENGINEERING LINE TRANSFORMER --->
[AMP HEAD]
EFFECTS OUT --->
CUSTOM AUDIO ENGINEERING LINE MIXER (sends and returns to the following rack
units)
-effects loop section of Lexicon MPX G2
- Digitech GSP 2102
- TC Electronics G-force
- Eventide Orville
- Korg DTR-1 tuner
CUSTOM AUDIO ENGINEERING LINE MIXER sends signal back to amp head

The TC electronics Fireworx unit is placed inside the GCX audio switcher?s loop.

The channel switching function on the amp is plugged into the Lexicon MPX G2, which is then connected to the GCX, to which the Lexicon R1 MIDI controller is connected. The Ernie Ball expression pedal is connected to the Lexicon R1 directly
Old 02-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #18
nOtReGiStErEd
p-90= TONE!

I've realised that i neglected to post any informations regarding James Iha's cabinets, mostly because it's extremely hard to find. All pictures show him with Marshall cabs, which are what he used with the pumpkins, but i haven't found out what type of speakers.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #19
SuperAnalytical
Banned

Celebrity Rigs: Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters

Hello fellow UGers.

Rig Thread Subject: David Grohl; former drummer of Nirvana, vocalist/guitarist for Foo Fighters, and all-around utility man.

I?ve got a couple of surprises in this thread, unlike the other you have seen so far. Stick with me if this gets to be a long thread.

AMPLIFICATION
First off, I would like to present to you what the majority of UGers say contributes most to a guitarist?s tone, amplifiers.

Dave Grohl, like many prestigious rock stars has used many an amp in his entire career. I may have missed a few here or there, but I?ll check and double check if I have to.

His setup as of 2001 for amplification is as follows:

VOX AC-30 2x12 (Clean sounds)

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier w/ Mesa 4x12 Cab (Dirty sounds)

^Supposedly his real Mesas.

Jester Enterprises Tube Splitter

Note: I?m not sure if this is correct. It may be on the top right corner of the right positioned amp.

Other Amps:
Mesa Boogie Maverick

Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker

Fender Twin Amp

A couple more posts to come, please don't comment yet.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #20
SuperAnalytical
Banned

EFFECTS
Dave uses 2 effects pedals, a Tuner, and a Switcher. This chain of pedals is connected to a wireless unit to Dave?s guitar.
2001 Setup:
Whirlwind A/B/Y Box--->MXR Phase 90--->Boss DM-2 Analog Delay--->Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner--->Wireless Unit///Wireless Unit

MXR Phase 90

Boss DM-2 Analog Delay

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Effects used, in all:

Pro Co. Rat

EHX Memory Man and Q-tron

Dunlop Heil Talkbox

Picks: Dunlop .71mm Gator Grips

Still more posts to come.

Rate This Thread: