Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
brenton393

buying on ebay

is buying a used acoustic on ebay a good or bad idea?
brenton393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
BionicRooster
Died for Metal

Be wary of being scammed, make sure to buy from a reputable seller with a high rating and they are NOT from China. Otherwise you will end up with a lemon and you can't return it and you;re stuck with it.

Do you have a link to the listing?

I imagine the dialog went something like this.
BionicRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
brenton393

nothing in particular, actually my main worry is the shipping? are shipped items left in a hot place for awhile?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

It's perfectly safe. I've bought & sold about 50 guitars on eBay over the years and never once had a problem.

You don't need to be wary - so long as you use common sense, you'll be fine. (To clarify - anyone who buys something from China that seems too good to be true is an idiot and will get what they deserve).

So long as there are decent pics (not out of focus to hide problems and not obviously taken from a manufacturer listing) and the seller has decent feedback, you'll be fine. All the main courier services deal with 1,000s of guitars every day and know how to deliver them without problems, and even if something should go wrong, a good seller would have insured the delivery anyway so you'll be covered.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
brenton393

ok thnx
Old 06-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i only buy expensive items from stores or sellers with over 99% positive feedbacks as a rule, and that's worked well for me. the catch is that sometimes a really nice person who doesn't know much about guitars may think they're sending you a guitar in great shape that may have an issue. of course, if the seller is reputable, they'll take care of it for you. i have had minor guitar issues from both ebay and stores, but never had an issue on ebay that was enough of a problem to send the guitar back.

as far as sitting in hot places, yes - UPS and fedex both leave boxes in their trucks in the heat, and i do know a couple people who had guitars damaged in shipping. it isn't common, but sometimes things do happen. if the seller has insured the item, it shouldn't be a problem, though.

btw, a few stores and luthiers i've talked to prefer to ship on monday. that way, the guitars usually arrive by friday so they won't sit in a truck in the sun over the weekend.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
d28pkr

I bought a Yamaha FG180 made in Japan on EBay and when I got it I found that the neck had been broken and was bolted on...I kept it and the neck hasn't budged...I'm just sayin....
d28pkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: