User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #81
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casualty
Anyway, has anyone heard Dio, Halford, and Malmsteen's cover of "Mr. Crowley"?

I thought Dio was brilliant, and sung the song better than Ozzy IMO. Though Malsteen's wanking disappointed me as he tried to add his own touch to Rhoades' solo.

No, I've heard Cradle Of Filth's and Moonspell's cover of Mr Crowley. Cradle Of Filth's wasn't too good I thought, but Moonspell's was awesome, and was a lot better than the original.

But isn't this meant to be the Black Sabbath thread? :p

EDIT: Oh noes! I forgot how to do the tongue sticking out smiley!

EDIT 2: Wait, here it is: It has a : at the END aswell as the start. Sneaky...

Last edited by whalepudding : 12-08-2006 at 06:44 AM.
whalepudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:08 AM   #82
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git

'Bout time this thread got resurected here, it doesn't feel right talking about Sabbath in the Classic Rock forum.

Sooo...
Whats everyones opinions on the Heaven and Hell (Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Vinnie Appice) tour/album next year?

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
chylde_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #83
JimFear86
I <3 metal

I'm looking forward to it. Of course, I'm a big fan of the material Dio has done with Sabbath

My favourite Sabbath albums are Dehumanizer, Master of Reality, and Tyr. If you look past the fact that Ozzy wasn't on any of the albums in the 80's and 90's, you'll find some real gems.
JimFear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #84
The Casualty
Banned

I think, no, I KNOW it's going to be great.
The Casualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #85
"Tele" Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylde_of_fire
Sooo...
Whats everyones opinions on the Heaven and Hell (Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Vinnie Appice) tour/album next year?

My opinion is this...I wish the real Black Sabbath would record a new album already.
"Tele" Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:13 AM   #86
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

my favorite is probably Master of Reality. it just seems to be the most together album. like the first two built up to it, and then they dropped off after it.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:13 AM   #87
rockstar2001

i liked paranoid the best. their first one wasn't bad either.
rockstar2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #88
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Tele" Steve
My opinion is this...I wish the real Black Sabbath would record a new album already.

Seriously, don't even get me started on how stupid what you just said is.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #89
TwistedLogic
YaddaYaddaBlahBlahBlah

I like Master of Reality alot, although Volume 4 is very good as well. I also like hte Dio era albums. It just seems that the production values are much better on Mob Rules then on the first 3 Sabbath albums. IN that sense it is hard to compare since Dio era stuff likely had the advantage of better technology / recording equipment as compated to Paranoid or MOR.

What will Heaven and Hell be like? I am not sure what to expect. I believe that listening to Iommi's work with Glen Hughes on his fuse project could provide some insight on that. I have not heard much of fuse ( the album title if I remember correctly) but it has gotten some reviews from others from what I have read.

I figure big crunchy riffs will be involved but wonder how much that will be expanded to incorporate more melodic and or harmony accompanyment. I say this thinking about how metal and rock have changed in the past few years and stretch out in more ereas with bands like, Opeth,Nightwish, and Lacuna Coil. Will Iommi and Dio's work show influenes of this more musically expansive form of hard rock / metal? Just thinking out loud.
TwistedLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #90
CyanideAssassin
Banned

Black Sabbath are the shit, im sure there tour with dio will be sick as hell, ronnie james dio is still puttin on good shows, i saw him about a year and half ago, maybe 2, and he was great live, and we all know Tony is well, nothing short of god, as is geezer butler and the rest of the band.
CyanideAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #91
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git

For those of you in North America, Motorhead and Down are apparently opening for Heaven and Hell.
/is jealous

Last edited by chylde_of_fire : 01-07-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #92
TheIronPriest
Stained Class King

Wheels Of Confusion is one helluva song, anybody else love the extended jam session they have at the end with Iommi soloing over that eerie riff that plays in the background?

I have my hopes up for this Heaven & Hell tour, everything I have read seems to indicate that Dio's voice has held up better than most of his metal legend contemporaries. Everybody loves Bill Ward, but I wouldnt discount Vinny Appice's contributions to the world of metal, he was the drummer on many of Dio's classic solo albums.

Speaking of which, I hope they find the time to maybe throw in a few classic Rainbow or Dio songs like "Man On The Silver Mountain", "Holy Diver", "The Last In Line". I've heard a cover of "Smoke On The Water" they played back in the day on the Mob Rules tour and it totally ****in slayed. I know its wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Tony's take on some of those riffs.

Personally I can't wait to see what Dio brings to songs like "War Pigs", "Paranoid", "Symptom Of The Universe", etc, although im really hoping they play a few of their drug anthems like "Snowblind', "Sweet Leaf", "Hand Of Doom", "Fairies Wear Boots" to name a few. To hear Ronnie James sing about the wonders of marijuana and cocaine would really put the concert over the top imo.

"Ride out, protectors of the realm, captain's at the helm sail across the sea of light!"

Last edited by TheIronPriest : 01-07-2007 at 03:55 PM.
TheIronPriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #93
LedZeppelin

Just got the first Sabbath LP, it's damn good. A bit too Zeppelin-y for my liking (irony, yes?), but good nevertheless. The title track is the most evil song I've ever heard by far, and Wicked World is great.
LedZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:23 AM   #94
METSOAD
Bass Man

Which song do people prefere: Sign of the Southern cross or War Pigs?

I know they are quite different but i love them both and i would be intrested to hear other peoples opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
METSOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #95
distilledspirit
Fat Old Sun

What do you guys think of the way Sabbath is coming along nowadays? I, being a Sabbath freak, am very disappointed. I think Ronnie James Dio was a phenominal singer but imo Sabbath is better off with Ozzy. I know Ozzy is working on his solo project and he, or his wife by chance, is being weird about the whole thing by not wanting to do another tour. Although, I can see reasons why he wouldn't, because of his health and other complications, be able to do a tour. So far, Ozzy and Bill Ward have left and been replaced by Dio and his drummer. Idk, I'd definetly pay to see the new guys but I'm just really disappointed Ozzy and Bill won't be there.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #96
TwistedLogic
YaddaYaddaBlahBlahBlah

I am more disappointed that Bill will not be invovled more than Ozzy. While Ozzy has obvious health issues, Bill has a lot more and less publicized issues as his bouts with alcoholism created or aggrivated mental health issues. I quess at this point in his life touring will be too stressful and cause unwanted problems.

Ozzy; he should just retire. The undercover cd was garbage, his voice sounds pretty bad now, based on watching him in the Ozzy show in mtv he is in no shape for a real tour. The album he is doing now will be scrutinized and if it sucks he is definately done, expept sharon wants to get as much cash out of that cow as possible.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #97
Guitarmike123

^Your, right Ozzy should quit while he' still respected. (He is by me anyway )
Guitarmike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #98
SGRocker0791
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZeppelin
Just got the first Sabbath LP, it's damn good. A bit too Zeppelin-y for my liking (irony, yes?), but good nevertheless. The title track is the most evil song I've ever heard by far, and Wicked World is great.

S/T is a fantastic album imo and lol at the irony of it being too Zeppelin-y for you. Even though, I personally don't see how it is.
SGRocker0791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #99
TwistedLogic
YaddaYaddaBlahBlahBlah

I could see how the first Sabbath album is too Zeppie for some; they were both very blues oriented bands in their beginnings and incorporated distortion / hard driven guitars to beef up the agressoin in what they were doing. Even the second Sabbath album Paranoid had Planet Caravan and Fairies Wear Boots, which have a definate blues feel is you ask me, which is part of why they are such awesome tunes. The intro for FWB has alot of feel to it. These bands also slowly moved away from the blues with Zep becoming more of a classic rock band and Sabbath forging on and refining metal. That is kinda funny; using the words refined and metal in the same sentence.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #100
distilledspirit
Fat Old Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZeppelin
Just got the first Sabbath LP, it's damn good. A bit too Zeppelin-y for my liking (irony, yes?), but good nevertheless.

I can see what you're saying, I think it's due to the bluesy "The Wizard," and "Warning" in which Tony's playing sounds very Page-like.

Rate This Thread: