Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kimble
Anchoring will not slow you down, anyone who says it does is just being anal.

Of course it will. You're just looking for an exuse to not work on your free-hand play.

Don't anchor. It most defnitely slows you down and is a bad habit to get into. It gives you a false sense of stability and will only hinder you in the future.

If you want to completely open up your playing and increase your speed tenfold, don't anchor.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #22
Rockon914
UG Member

I thin k I anchor with my Palm, is that possible or am i just resting my hand on the lower strings when there not being played?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #23
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockon914
I thin k I anchor with my Palm, is that possible or am i just resting my hand on the lower strings when there not being played?

Yeah that would be an anchor.

I used to do both types of anchor actually, both finger and palm, but honestly, it's not that hard to stop doing, and my playing became so much less tensioned and more fluid.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #24
Naboo
Zoot Allures

Resting your palm on the srings when not used is ushally an advantage because it cuts unwanted resonation and its alot less restricting than anchoring your pinky
Old 04-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Night_Lights
I've been here too long

is resting my palm on the strings considored anchoring? because ive stopped putting my pinky down on the body, but i still mostly put my palm on the bridge. i play metal you see... lots of palm muting and such....

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL]
Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #26
Naboo
Zoot Allures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lights
is resting my palm on the strings considored anchoring? because ive stopped putting my pinky down on the body, but i still mostly put my palm on the bridge. i play metal you see... lots of palm muting and such....

Dont think its actually considered anchoring because unless your are sticking your palm behind the bridge then you are only really resting it there so it dosent really restrict your playing
Old 04-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #27
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboo
Dont think its actually considered anchoring because unless your are sticking your palm behind the bridge then you are only really resting it there so it dosent really restrict your playing

Resting= planting, and when you plant, you restrict your range of motion and you tense yourself up.

Palm muting does require a rest on the bridge, but after the mute, you should completely separate your hand from the bridge.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #28
scheck006

you lose accuracy if you don't anchor.

You'll naturally start to come off if you pick too fast, so that's what I do.

just let it go free if you want to pick a million miles and hour.

usually if you are doing that you're not doing some mad inside picking or alternate picking an arpeggio. that's why you can afford a loss in accuracy.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #29
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
you lose accuracy if you don't anchor.

You'll naturally start to come off if you pick too fast, so that's what I do.

just let it go free if you want to pick a million miles and hour.

usually if you are doing that you're not doing some mad inside picking or alternate picking an arpeggio. that's why you can afford a loss in accuracy.

Wrong.

With time your accuracy becomes ten times better than when you anchor.

And on the contrary, not planting your hand or fingers on the guitar makes alt picking, and any other style of picking for that matter, much easier and more efficient.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:15 AM   #30
scheck006

tell that to steve morse, i'm sure he'll agree with you. seeing as he's known for his super accurate yet anchored alternate picking.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #31
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
tell that to steve morse, i'm sure he'll agree with you. seeing as he's known for his super accurate yet anchored alternate picking.

Yeah, because that's how we judge right and wrong: "X person does it, so it must be right!!1!!11!!onez0rZ!!1!!!1!"

Many people anchor. Many people get good at anchoring because it's all that they know, or it's all that they've been mistakingly taught. The reasoning behind anchoring doesn't matter, it's still a bad habit.

It's like saying "Hey, I can bite my nails off way faster than you can!" But it's still a bad habit regardless of how good you get at it.

The simple fact is that it's still not going to get you as good as you could get by not anchoring.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #32
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

Zamboni is absolutely right.

You only lose accuracy because you haven't trained in doing it without anchoring... Duh.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #33
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
ok i would like to point out, anchor or no anchor, there is such a minute amount of movement from your wrist when shredding it shouldn't matter, and fyi, there shouldn't be any tension hardly when shredding, if yer muscles are tense then you're expending WAAAAY too much energy, i've been beating the crap out of a guitar for long enough to know this for a fact, yer wrist should be loose and the movement free flowing..... but that is something that comes w/ time
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #34
Sir Edwin CBE

It's all preference.

Harley Benton 7 String w/ Floyd Rose
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Old 04-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #35
scheck006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
Yeah, because that's how we judge right and wrong: "X person does it, so it must be right!!1!!11!!onez0rZ!!1!!!1!"

Many people anchor. Many people get good at anchoring because it's all that they know, or it's all that they've been mistakingly taught. The reasoning behind anchoring doesn't matter, it's still a bad habit.

It's like saying "Hey, I can bite my nails off way faster than you can!" But it's still a bad habit regardless of how good you get at it.

The simple fact is that it's still not going to get you as good as you could get by not anchoring.

whatever, do it your own way and stop telling other people how to do things.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #36
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

^Thread author is asking for it, smartass.

And you're wrong, deal with it.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #37
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ well, people HAVE asked, and it is an informed opinion.

What reason is there to anchor?

Lots of great players do it.

What reason not to?

Lots of great players do it. They also ADVISE THAT YOU SHOULDNT ANCHOR!
Have you ever heard any player any good say to you "Y'know, the best thing that ever happened to my picking was anchoring"? No. How often do you hear the converse?
And as far as goes tension, etc, well, thats obvious.

Finally, i'd like to point out that while it may be trickier to learn to change, so is the change to alternate picking from all-downs, and you wouldnt dispute that. Give it a go, suprise yourself.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #38
scheck006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
^Thread author is asking for it, smartass.

And you're wrong, deal with it.

I really don't give a ****. under your reasoning, wrong is ok with me
Old 04-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #39
BFI

im sure everyone seen michael angelo anchoring, so? he shreds like hell and also sounds like arseholes.

IMO you shouldnt really anchor i guess, but if it helps you learn...
Old 04-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #40
steve vai82

anchoring is a bad habit. look at it this way. Tiger Woods, a GREAT golfer and may be the best golfer when everything is said and done. A few years ago he realized that he had a flaw in his swing. So he completely dismantled his swing by each step and fixed this minute problem with his swing. He may have been a great golfer without fixing his swing but he would not have been the best he could be. Similiar to anchoring, sure you may be able to shred pretty well with that flaw, in fact you may be able to shred very well. But you won't be as good as you could be until you stop anchoring.

Rate This Thread: