Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #41
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
I really don't give a ****. under your reasoning, wrong is ok with me

Wow, ignorance really is bliss.

What a stubborn, stubborn kid. No one really gives a shit how you pick, in fact, all we're trying to do is help you get better.

But hey, limit yourself. I honestly couldn't care less. It's just less competition for me in the future.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #42
scheck006

if I'm as limited as morse, petrucci and gilbert. then by all means. **** me
Old 04-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #43
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

El Gilberto doesnt anchor. He may have his right hand touching the bridge, and he may palm mute - but he doesnt have a reflexive attachment to the guitar.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...gilbert&pl=true

Spot the anchoring!

But seriously, y'may have noticed im not too big into the anchoring business. Why do you anchor?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #44
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Seeing as I don't shred much I can't see the nessecity in not anchoring.

However, that said, I'll anchor a lot while I'm soloing, but if I need to play a reasonably fast lick I just kind of naturally de-anchor to play it. Out of interest, is this ok, or should I just try not to anchor even when I'm playing slow too?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #45
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
Wow, ignorance really is bliss.

What a stubborn, stubborn kid. No one really gives a shit how you pick, in fact, all we're trying to do is help you get better.

But hey, limit yourself. I honestly couldn't care less. It's just less competition for me in the future.

Trying to help people get better? By shoving your own way of doing things on them and saying they're wrong for not doing it YOUR way?
haha you must of been reffering to yourself saying ignorance is bliss.

I listen to so n so therefore i am The OMEGA
Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #46
Freepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeEvilDude
Seeing as I don't shred much I can't see the nessecity in not anchoring.

However, that said, I'll anchor a lot while I'm soloing, but if I need to play a reasonably fast lick I just kind of naturally de-anchor to play it. Out of interest, is this ok, or should I just try not to anchor even when I'm playing slow too?

Well, if you can do both, then its really your choice. Most importantly, you can try it out for yourself and decide. It seems that you understand intuitively that less tension = faster, ie, you're releasing more and more extraneous stuff when you need to play faster, not tensing up and making things harder.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #47
scheck006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
El Gilberto doesnt anchor. He may have his right hand touching the bridge, and he may palm mute - but he doesnt have a reflexive attachment to the guitar.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...gilbert&pl=true

Spot the anchoring!

But seriously, y'may have noticed im not too big into the anchoring business. Why do you anchor?

he has his right hand touching the guitar but he doesnt' anchor?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #48
Freepower

^ yup. He's palm muting, but he isnt anchored in anyway - that pressure is a concious effort to change the tone of his picking. Nice. Notice that it's as loose as he can get it. It doesnt have any bother coming off the guitar. Watch his string skip - floats above the strings, then comes down when he's done to mute noise. Good technique.

Thats not anchoring.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #49
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez

haha so anchoring would be...what? pushing down on the bridge hard enough to make an imprint in your skin? Paul gilbert is anchoring, get used to it
Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #50
Freepower

^ no, picking around a fixed point where your hand is attached to the guitar. Theres a slight difference between that and palm muting, i suggest you try it. I can pick from a fixed point on the guitar, i can pick and almost float but brush the strings, and i can chug away, but i dont anchor to anything - i choose to put my hand down.

This is slightly closer to what would be considered anchoring. http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...o+batio&pl=true

I know plenty of people that simply attach their wrists to their guitar whether or not they're muting. That, i see as anchoring. Im a bit of a purist. Any unneccessarily physical crutches in the form of a fixed point reference - i see that as anchoring.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #51
scheck006

its impossible to keep your wrist in a fixed point. you could not reach all of the strings. he is moving his wrist a bunch.

either way. you can't possibly think his picking is lacking.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #52
Freepower

Quote:
its impossible to keep your wrist in a fixed point. you could not reach all of the strings. he is moving his wrist a bunch.

Exactly. But he's anchoring his FINGERS.

Quote:
either way. you can't possibly think his picking is lacking.

It could be MORE-ing though. Are you saying picking cant get any better than that?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #53
scheck006

no, I'm sure he practices to get better. why would he just revamp his entire technique when he's the best? that's seems like a complete mind**** to me.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #54
axe_grinder247
UG's Shredder in Training

allow me to throw out a suggestion to why people anchor...well, i've noticed, after watching many players make the same mistake, that players who anchor normally usually pick more from the fingers then the wrist...why is that? well, since you're fingers are on the pickguard and your wrist is behind or on the bridge, your wrist is constricted to only minimal movement, making it nearly impossible to create enough force to pick a string...and how do they solve it? not by learning to play unanchored, but by picking with the fingers, which may be fine if you're into blues and such, but if you want to shred, you have to pick from the wrist, and to pick from the wrist, lose the anchor...the bottom line is, zamboni and freepower are absolutely right in that anchoring will limit your speed capabilities...when i stopped anchoring, i thought "holy s*** this is going to take forever and it won't even help me" because my accuracy was horrible without the anchor...but after long hours of practice i began to get the hang of it and before i knew it i could easily reach nearly twice the speed i could before with no tension whatsoever...my top speed with anchoring was achieved with the minimal amount of effort from my picking hand...seriously, if you learn to play unanchored, you will reap the benefits and become closer to achieving perfect technique, and perfect technique=speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.

Last edited by axe_grinder247 : 04-07-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #55
Freepower

The Best?

I personally think PG is better, but theres people out there far better at picking than the both of them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...wn+lane&pl=true

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...+Cooley&pl=true

And speaking of which, theres an unanchoring testimonial above me. There hasnt been anyone coming in and saying "Anchor, its great". Give it a go, seriously. At least you'll have a qualified view of both sides of the fence.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #56
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

Quote:
no, I'm sure he practices to get better. why would he just revamp his entire technique when he's the best? that's seems like a complete mind**** to me.

What?

You wouldn't want to be the best you can be? Even if you were "the best"?

Jesus, music isn't a goddamn competition.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #57
Sir Edwin CBE

It's all preference.

Harley Benton 7 String w/ Floyd Rose
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Old 04-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #58
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

Woo, more testimonial. I'm not a shredder, so I don't know how useful this may be, but either way.

Well, since my post a couple of days ago, I took into account what Freepower said about preference and trying both ways, and so I decided to at least give it a shot.
Seeing as when I play fast licks I don't anchor I thought it would be best to start with some faster licks. After a few minutes, I slowed down to stuff that I'm more suited to playing, but made a conscious effort not to anchor my pinky to the body. As for playing without anchoring, I'm not sure if it's just because I'm a fast leaner or what, but the transition from anchoring to not anchoring was quite easy.
But anywho, my accuracy wasn't as great as when it was anchored, but after a good amount of practise yesterday and today, my accuracy increased a lot, and so did my speed for the rare time I just noodle around with quick licks.
That said, while not anchoring to increase speed isn't of much use to me, not anchoring leaves my pinky free, so things like messing around on the tremolo bar and volume swells (both of which I use frequently) are a lot easier and more effective then when I was anchoring.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #59
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThinkYou Smell
Trying to help people get better? By shoving your own way of doing things on them and saying they're wrong for not doing it YOUR way?

It's not my way, prick. It's a tried and tested way of increasing speed and accuracy while reducing tension and strain.

And like I said, I couldn't care less how inefficiently you play your guitar. I've been to enough shows and seen enough guitarists who think they're king shit of turd island, when they actually have no idea what the hell they're doing, to know how the average guitarist plays.

However, if you try and defend your laziness, I'm going to pick it apart and attempt to educate you, but most people are too blatantly prideful to take advice.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #60
scheck006

I'm so sick of this. its not the accepted way. it IS your way. the least you could do is not stereotype everyone who anchors as the local hardcore guy who knows nothing about playing.

I don't anchor with my pinky. yes, that makes it harder for trem and volume knob stuff. I don't see how it can be such a big deal to have your wrist lightly touching the guitar. how else are you going to mute the bottom strings?

Rate This Thread: