Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

 
Old 04-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #61
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez
 
IThinkYou Smell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I aint tellin you nuthin
i lol'd @ you, i like how you assume how i can play with out anything to back you up at all. So i shall assume that you can play Metallica badly and suck at the solos. I am Gsus just to let you know and Jesus RAWKS
IThinkYou Smell is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #62
Zamboni
is moist.
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
I'm so sick of this. its not the accepted way. it IS your way.

Wrong. Do you think I invented free-hand playing?

Ask anybody who knows anything about guitar, like Freepower or Cas, or SD, and they will completely agree with me and my thoughts on the limitations of anchoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck006
I don't see how it can be such a big deal to have your wrist lightly touching the guitar.

And I'm trying to tell you! It's a big deal because, eventually, you are going to either a) hurt yourself from the tension you're putting on your wrist, and/or b) reach a point where you can no longer pick faster or more accurately. You'll hit a barrier and the ONLY WAY you'll be able to bypass that speed and accuracy limit is by ungluing your wrist, and preferably your whole arm, from your guitar body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck006
how else are you going to mute the bottom strings?

Oh please, it's obvious that when you want to palm mute you're going to have to put your wrist on the bridge. I'm not arguing that, it's when it is not at all necessary to have your hand on your guitar, yet you do because of habit and laziness, that it is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThinkYou Smell
i lol'd @ you, i like how you assume how i can play with out anything to back you up at all. So i shall assume that you can play Metallica badly and suck at the solos. I am Gsus just to let you know and Jesus RAWKS

Wow, I'd argue with you further, but I'm afraid my vocabulary would surpass that of the twelve-year-old's mind you portray yourself to have.
__________________
-lovemike
http://www.myspace.com/ossiclesdubstep
Zamboni is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #63
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez
 
IThinkYou Smell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I aint tellin you nuthin
haha are petty insult all you can dish out?
And what are you talking about? I act like a 7 year old not 12 you booger butt
IThinkYou Smell is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #64
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
Wrong. Do you think I invented free-hand playing?



likewise, do you think I invented anchoring?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
And I'm trying to tell you! It's a big deal because, eventually, you are going to either a) hurt yourself from the tension you're putting on your wrist, and/or b) reach a point where you can no longer pick faster or more accurately. You'll hit a barrier and the ONLY WAY you'll be able to bypass that speed and accuracy limit is by ungluing your wrist, and preferably your whole arm, from your guitar body.


can you pick more accurately than steve morse or john petrucci?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
Ask anybody who knows anything about guitar, like Freepower or Cas, or SD, and they will completely agree with me and my thoughts on the limitations of anchoring.



anyone who knows anything about guitar? you seem to be discrediting john petrucci, steve morse, micheal angelo.

I'd listen to them any day over you, cas or SD. that's not a blow to you guys, it just goes to show that its all personal preference and that you shouldn't be forcing your way of doing things on everyone.

you guys want a testimonial? I listened to you guys a couple years ago, and stopped anchoring. just kinda sucked for a few months until I started taking guitar lessons, guess what the teacher said.

my picking has never been better since.

although that probably doesn't matter at all because I'm obviously highly biased towards being an idiot.

Last edited by scheck006 : 04-08-2006 at 06:43 PM.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #65
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
 
SnowballofDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
how else are you going to mute the bottom strings?


By working on your fretting hand. Once the movements of your fret hand fingers are controlled, you'll be amazed how little pick hand muting you actually need.

------

Anchoring works, and it can work very well (Petrucci and Morse are great examples). But non-anchoring works better (see Lane and Gilbert). Yeah there's the argument for both sides, but in my and in most guitarists experience, learning to pick without anchoring any part of your hand is 10000x better than anchoring.

If you've tried unanchoring and didn't prefer it, then stick with anchoring. It's really not that big of a deal, you can get very fast with either method. But it's much easier to hurt yourself with anchoring, and much easier to get fast quickly without anchoring.

But whatever, there's more stubborness in this thread than I've seen in a long time...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
SnowballofDoom is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #66
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez
 
IThinkYou Smell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I aint tellin you nuthin
You know what scheck? You just totally kowabungalike PWNED they're behinds dude we should totally make a band and become the slow picking shred gods of hades
IThinkYou Smell is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #67
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez
 
IThinkYou Smell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I aint tellin you nuthin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballofDoom
By working on your fretting hand. Once the movements of your fret hand fingers are controlled, you'll be amazed how little pick hand muting you actually need.

------

Anchoring works, and it can work very well (Petrucci and Morse are great examples). But non-anchoring works better (see Lane and Gilbert). Yeah there's the argument for both sides, but in my and in most guitarists experience, learning to pick without anchoring any part of your hand is 10000x better than anchoring.

If you've tried unanchoring and didn't prefer it, then stick with anchoring. It's really not that big of a deal, you can get very fast with either method. But it's much easier to hurt yourself with anchoring, and much easier to get fast quickly without anchoring.

But whatever, there's more stubborness in this thread than I've seen in a long time...


Might i ask how not anchoring is the better way for not hurting yourself? I'd think that using more muscles to hold your arm over the guitar than relaxing it on the guitar is more damaging. Anchor and use them when you need them instead of tensing them the entire time, seriosukly im about ready to!
IThinkYou Smell is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #68
gunther_sucks
 
gunther_sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I personally am all for anchoring in certain circumstances.

If I am muting I like to anchor at the bridge. I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say there is strain, inaccuracy, and loss of speed(in regards to down-picking). I downpick much faster anchored(I don't use my pinky, I rest my wrist on the bridge) than unanchored. I anchor when I play metal.

If I am alternate picking and/or soloing, I like to unanchor BARELY(I still don't use my pinky, I just barely ever so carefuly rest my wrist on the bridge... barely). I have found when I float alot my accuracy goes to the suck when I go fully floating, especially when doing wide or fast alternate picking.


I tried the pinky anchor thing for a while, but I found my hand to shakey to do it effectively.
gunther_sucks is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #69
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballofDoom
If you've tried unanchoring and didn't prefer it, then stick with anchoring. It's really not that big of a deal, you can get very fast with either method.


that's all I'm really looking for


Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballofDoom
Anchoring works, and it can work very well (Petrucci and Morse are great examples).
But non-anchoring works better (see Lane and Gilbert).




that's still pretty subjective.

Last edited by scheck006 : 04-09-2006 at 01:42 AM.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #70
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
 
SnowballofDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by IThinkYou Smell
Might i ask how not anchoring is the better way for not hurting yourself? I'd think that using more muscles to hold your arm over the guitar than relaxing it on the guitar is more damaging.


It's really not. The big muscles in your arm and shoulder are built for that kind of movement, as long as it's relaxed. Your wrist isn't made for jumping all over the place on its own while picking incredibly fast.

When you anchor, you cut off a lot of the movement from your arm and shoulder, because you've mounted your wrist on the bridge. Now, if you want to string skip from the low to high E strings, your wrist is doing all that work. That's not so good.

Sure you can anchor lightly and still include your arm and shoulder and have no problems, I'm just saying most guitarists don't do that. They pick using only their wrists, which is going to lead to some damage later on.

I'm not addressing anyone here specifically, just giving my thoughts on the topic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
SnowballofDoom is offline  
Old 04-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #71
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballofDoom
It'.
They pick using only their wrists, which is going to lead to some damage later on.



well steve morse has been doing it for 30 years.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #72
Sir Edwin CBE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
I got my guitar back from a guitar shop ( it wa getting a fret job ) so I asked the guy who did the repair ( says he's been playing for over 30 years ) about anchoring. He didn't know it by it's name but when I showed him what I ment ( I use my hand behind the bridge ) and he said that it's all preference.

Now if people like this, and others teachers aren't telling learners about the problems associated with anchoring then who's wrong?

Should we tell everyone that anchoring is bad and that they should only play it if they prefer it over unanchored ( which seems to defeat the purpose of discrediting the technique itself ) or should we just let people do as they like but warn them over creating too much extra tension?

Also - what's with the quote above me? How can picking from the wrist damage it at all? Repetitive Strain Injury?
__________________
Member of UG's Seven String Legion!

Harley Benton 7 String w/ Floyd Rose
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Sir Edwin CBE is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 AM   #73
Slurgi
Lazy Perfectionist
 
Slurgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Iowa State University
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
Jesus, music isn't a goddamn competition.





...



Slurgi is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #74
Zamboni
is moist.
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
likewise, do you think I invented anchoring?

Nope, but I do think you are an extremely lazy person who keeps falling back on his "well STEVE MORSE DOES IT!!1!!!!11!one!!1!! so I HAVE TO DO IT THAT WAY!!1!!!" argument, while further proving yourself to be more ignorant all the time.

Quote:
can you pick more accurately than steve morse or john petrucci?

Quote:
well steve morse has been doing it for 30 years.

Again, this is completely irrelavent. If I spent 30 years of my life learning how to hammer nails with my bare hands, I would eventually get extremely good at it. However, that doesn't mean it's the right way to hammer a nail.

Quote:
anyone who knows anything about guitar? you seem to be discrediting john petrucci, steve morse, micheal angelo.

They are simply the product of practice. If they hadn't learned the bad habit of anchoring, they'd be tenfold better guitarists than they even are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThinkYou Smell
I'd think that using more muscles to hold your arm over the guitar than relaxing it on the guitar is more damaging.

You've got to stop thinking.

It takes more muscles, and more muscle TENSION to glue your hand or fingers to the body/bridge of your guitar and rotate your wrist around a central point than it does to hang your hand above your guitar and let your wrist float.
__________________
-lovemike
http://www.myspace.com/ossiclesdubstep
Zamboni is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #75
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez
 
IThinkYou Smell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I aint tellin you nuthin
Roll's i's @ J00 thats so funny, but hey man, i'd love to hear some of your playing. With your non bad habit forming/"correct" picking style. i bet someone who plays hawthorne heights can play better than you. =O oh gasp
IThinkYou Smell is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #76
SlashHammett
Wannbe Shredder
 
SlashHammett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: England, Cambridge
ok well ive been anchoring my palm on the bridge for 3 years now , just today ive decided to try and play with no anchoring. Yes it sucked at first but after about 10hours of playing i can already see the difference , MUCH easier to pick fast and to string skip . i would definetly recommend un-anchoring if you do at the moment.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
SlashHammett is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #77
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
Nope, but I do think you are an extremely lazy person who keeps falling back on his "well STEVE MORSE DOES IT!!1!!!!11!one!!1!! so I HAVE TO DO IT THAT WAY!!1!!!" argument, while further proving yourself to be more ignorant all the time.


never did I say I had to do it the way steve morse does it. I'm saying its fine to do it that way. **** you for saying I'm lazy. that's the stupidest, non-backed up argument you've come up with.

steve morse is known for his picking technique. I can't believe how you are insulting him. definitely not the open minded, non-ignorant thing to do.

at least I've used real people as my examples.


Quote:
Again, this is completely irrelavent. If I spent 30 years of my life learning how to hammer nails with my bare hands, I would eventually get extremely good at it. However, that doesn't mean it's the right way to hammer a nail.


I was replying to the statement of "its going to hurt you later"

I figured that someone who's been doing it for 30 years, and hasn't gotten hurt, would be of some value to my point that its not going to cause any wrist problems or damage.

of course hammering nails with your hands will actually cause pain, so I have no clue in how this relates to anchoring. I can see why you chose this example though, it's because your desperate to prove to me that your way of doing things is right, and even though you've said you could care less about the way I do things...you're still trying to make me look like an idiot.




Quote:
They are simply the product of practice. If they hadn't learned the bad habit of anchoring, they'd be tenfold better guitarists than they even are now.


yea...tenfold better guitar players. I'm pretty sure that 10x better than petrucci is impossible. Is there any reasoning behind this statement? seeing as how you're saying I'm ignorant and all, I'm just wondering if there was anything you were basing this upon. other than the way you like to play guitar.

if they are the product of practice, then the only reason you have for not being as good as them, is laziness. In fact, it should be 10x easier for you to achieve their level. seeing as how you're not even close, I can only assume that you're 10x as lazy as them.




Quote:
It takes more muscles, and more muscle TENSION to glue your hand or fingers to the body/bridge of your guitar and rotate your wrist around a central point than it does to hang your hand above your guitar and let your wrist float.


there's something that's called gravity. its really nice because your hand will stick to the guitar without having to press it! seeing as how the guitar is lower than your elbow of course.



have fun

Last edited by scheck006 : 04-09-2006 at 05:32 PM.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #78
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
well steve morse has been doing it for 30 years.


To be fair now, he does have carpal tunnel, thats not the best example to use. Think before you fact.


^ you and zamb seem to have your wires crossed a little. You're getting pissed off because he's "insulting" your favourite players - which he's not. He's getting pissed off because you seem to only use those players as reason for anchoring.

Not to mention that a few posts back we have discovered that you dont anchor, you only mute unwanted strings - which is slightly different to actually ANCHORING. Oui?

And as for Lane and gilbert being better than MAB and morse at alt picking -

I can quote you MAB on Lane -

"This man was a DEITY to me".

And watching Morse string skip compared to Gilbert string skip - which is where this kind of stuff becomes most apparent - is like watching a revolver and a machine gun. No competition, really. Not that any of the guys mentioned arent fantastic guitarists - and not that im saying nobody should ever touch the guitar strings with owt but a pick - but frankly, less effort and tension = better playing.

Thats accepted as far as classical, jazz, rock, shred...you name it. Anchoring which produces tension is a no-no. Watch romeo if you want to see how to anchor. On the other hand, it works for him because he preforms the gross movements with his wrist, and "picks" with his fingers.

And "I'm pretty sure that 10x better than petrucci is impossible?" - Ask petrucci! He'll say theres not much of a limit on playing, and if petrucci is your idea of perfect technique - not that he's not brilliant, if you're sensitive about it - then broaden your horizons!
Freepower is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #79
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Not to mention that a few posts back we have discovered that you dont anchor, you only mute unwanted strings - which is slightly different to actually ANCHORING. Oui?



I was under the impression that any part of your hand touching the guitar was anchoring. from this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
.

Palm muting does require a rest on the bridge, but after the mute, you should completely separate your hand from the bridge.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #80
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
^ fair enough, he's even more purist than me. And yes, its perfectly possible to right hand mute like that. When i float that much my thumb lightly brushes only the string directly below the one im picking - and the ones above are left hand. Basically, after the mute, the hand raises.
Freepower is offline  
 


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.