Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

 
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #81
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
can you show me an article where it says morse has carpal tunnel?
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #82
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Freepower is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #83
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
hold on...let me listen to it. FOR AN HOUR!
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #84
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
what he said was.


everyone's got that carpal tunnel stuff when you've been doing things with your hands for a long time.

and he said he's been playing for 38 years.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #85
Zamboni
is moist.
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
steve morse is known for his picking technique. I can't believe how you are insulting him. definitely not the open minded, non-ignorant thing to do.

I never insulted Morse, nor any other guitarist. Thanks for the bullshit.

Quote:
I was replying to the statement of "its going to hurt you later"

I figured that someone who's been doing it for 30 years, and hasn't gotten hurt, would be of some value to my point that its not going to cause any wrist problems or damage.

As Freepower already said, he's got carpal tunnel. An extremely common side effect from incorrect picking technique in guitarists.

Quote:
of course hammering nails with your hands will actually cause pain, so I have no clue in how this relates to anchoring. I can see why you chose this example though, it's because your desperate to prove to me that your way of doing things is right, and even though you've said you could care less about the way I do things...you're still trying to make me look like an idiot.

1) I don't need to make you look like an idiot, you're doing a perfectly good job of it yourself.

2) Apprarently you don't understand the concept of a "metaphor", so I'll dumb down the previous statement for you to understand: If someone practices something WRONG for a very long time very diligently, they may very well get good at it. This does not mean, however, that the way they have practiced it is necessarily the most correct or most efficient way.

Capiche?

Quote:
yea...tenfold better guitar players. I'm pretty sure that 10x better than petrucci is impossible. Is there any reasoning behind this statement? seeing as how you're saying I'm ignorant and all, I'm just wondering if there was anything you were basing this upon. other than the way you like to play guitar.

O.K., kid, let's get this straight before you completely convince me you are mildly ******ed: Free-hand playing is NOT my way of playing. I didn't invent it. I didn't even like it up until I decided to dedicate pretty much my life to music and playing guitar. It is an extremely efficient way to eliminate tension while playing, as well as allowing your true speed and dexterity to come through.

Now that that's (hopefully) done with, I'll tell you my reasoning behind the statement you are referring to: Anchoring slows down guitarists. That's not an opinion, or a bias, or anything like that. It's a goddamn fact.

If you don't believe me, believe physics. Physics will tell you that the least amount of surface area interacting with another surface equals less friction, and therefore, more speed.

Quote:
if they are the product of practice, then the only reason you have for not being as good as them, is laziness. In fact, it should be 10x easier for you to achieve their level. seeing as how you're not even close, I can only assume that you're 10x as lazy as them.

I like how you're on my ass about apparently judging your guitar abilities, and yet you make a completely uneducated statement on my playing.

Quote:
there's something that's called gravity. its really nice because your hand will stick to the guitar without having to press it! seeing as how the guitar is lower than your elbow of course.

Yeah, well bud, sorry to burst your bubble, but gravity pushes things down, not sideways.

So unless you play exclusively on your back, your theory is kind of out the window...
__________________
-lovemike
http://www.myspace.com/ossiclesdubstep
Zamboni is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #86
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
what he said was.


everyone's got that carpal tunnel stuff when you've been doing things with your hands for a long time.

and he said he's been playing for 38 years.



Yes, but he also has to douse his hands in hot then cold water for an hour before a gig. Dont selectively quote to hide his pain. RSI, carpal, they're all a ****ing bitch - i have problems right now from stretch legato, and to dismiss it as "everyone" is wrong. I know where i made my practicing mistakes. Wrist position was not 100% perfect, and the more you play, the bigger your stretches, the less you'll get away with it.

Anchoring bull**** aside, take my advice on that.
Freepower is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #87
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni

I like how you're on my ass about apparently judging your guitar abilities, and yet you make a completely uneducated statement on my playing.





does this mean your better than petrucci? that's hard to believe. i'm sorry. I was clearly making an uneducated assumtion
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #88
Zamboni
is moist.
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
does this mean your better than petrucci? that's hard to believe. i'm sorry. I was clearly making an uneducated assumtion

I didn't say I was better or worse than anyone.

I simply know what's good practice and what is not.

(Nice rebuttle by the way... )
__________________
-lovemike
http://www.myspace.com/ossiclesdubstep
Zamboni is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #89
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
 
Resiliance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The doggy wee-wee has blinded me.
How can someone be BETTER than Petrucci? Seriously, WHAT?

And man, do you EVER give up, even though you've been proven wrong a multitude of times?
__________________
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.


Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Resiliance is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #90
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
that's a subjective thing to say.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #91
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
 
Night_Lights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Auckland University, New Zealand
^basically your arguement boils down to personal preference, whatever feels comfortable. then i guess i should stop using my pinkie and alt picking and just do downstrokes
__________________
Youtube covers

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL]
Night_Lights is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #92
metalmaster362
shred fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: scarsdale, new york
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
well steve morse has been doing it for 30 years.


actually u got the wrong picking technique for morse and pettrucci if u say that they never bend there wrist when they play, they both change strings by moving there elbows up and down sorry, nice try

and theres no point i arguing in this btw its whatever works for that person
metalmaster362 is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #93
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster362
actually u got the wrong picking technique for morse and pettrucci if u say that they never bend there wrist when they play, they both change strings by moving there elbows up and down sorry, nice try

and theres no point i arguing in this btw its whatever works for that person


morse on his instructional video says that he doesn't pick from the elbow, but from the wrist. nice try


[quote]and theres no point i arguing in this btw its whatever works for that person[quote]

that's my whole argument. obviously I'm wrong though
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #94
Sir Edwin CBE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
If picking from the wrist is not a cause of carpal tunnel then anchoring is fine.
__________________
Member of UG's Seven String Legion!

Harley Benton 7 String w/ Floyd Rose
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Sir Edwin CBE is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #95
Zamboni
is moist.
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Edwin CBE
If picking from the wrist is not a cause of carpal tunnel then anchoring is fine.

It is a cause of carpal tunnel though.
__________________
-lovemike
http://www.myspace.com/ossiclesdubstep
Zamboni is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #96
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
^ a lot of things can cause carpal, its mostly tension and joint angling though.

Basically, picking in any form is unlikely to cause CT, IF your joints are properly loose and angled.
Freepower is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #97
axe_grinder247
UG's Shredder in Training
 
axe_grinder247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Area 51
all this arguing back and forth is pointless...bottom line is, zam is right, and some mediocre little boy is trying to back up the fact that his technique isn't incorrect because petrucci or morse does the same thing...a classic quarrel...but like zam said before, you can get better at hammering nails with your hand after doing it long enough...if you don't want to end up with carpal tunnel or arthritis or whatnot, then good technique is the key, and anchoring is NOT good technique, regardless of who does it or how good they are
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!



Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
axe_grinder247 is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #98
scheck006
Registered User
 
scheck006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
It is a cause of carpal tunnel though.


nice fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_grinder247
all this arguing back and forth is pointless...bottom line is, zam is right, and some mediocre little boy is trying to back up the fact that his technique isn't incorrect because petrucci or morse does the same thing...a classic quarrel...but like zam said before, you can get better at hammering nails with your hand after doing it long enough...if you don't want to end up with carpal tunnel or arthritis or whatnot, then good technique is the key, and anchoring is NOT good technique, regardless of who does it or how good they are


and what gives you and zam so much authority? you have yet to prove that anchoring is harmful or less accurate.
scheck006 is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #99
Vital remains
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
anchoring is ******ed. it limits string skipping capabilities
__________________
.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
Vital remains is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #100
Slurgi
Lazy Perfectionist
 
Slurgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Iowa State University
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital remains
anchoring is ******ed. it limits string skipping capabilities



Before you get hounded by the attack squad, I'll just go ahead and tell you that you're wrong. You can still do everything unanchored that you can do anchored.

(By my own admission, I anchor. Although this thread is somewhat convincing to switch to not anchoring... hmm....)
Slurgi is offline  
 


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.