Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #81
scheck006

can you show me an article where it says morse has carpal tunnel?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #82
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Old 04-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #83
scheck006

hold on...let me listen to it. FOR AN HOUR!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #84
scheck006

what he said was.

everyone's got that carpal tunnel stuff when you've been doing things with your hands for a long time.

and he said he's been playing for 38 years.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #85
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheck006
steve morse is known for his picking technique. I can't believe how you are insulting him. definitely not the open minded, non-ignorant thing to do.

I never insulted Morse, nor any other guitarist. Thanks for the bullshit.

Quote:
I was replying to the statement of "its going to hurt you later"

I figured that someone who's been doing it for 30 years, and hasn't gotten hurt, would be of some value to my point that its not going to cause any wrist problems or damage.

As Freepower already said, he's got carpal tunnel. An extremely common side effect from incorrect picking technique in guitarists.

Quote:
of course hammering nails with your hands will actually cause pain, so I have no clue in how this relates to anchoring. I can see why you chose this example though, it's because your desperate to prove to me that your way of doing things is right, and even though you've said you could care less about the way I do things...you're still trying to make me look like an idiot.

1) I don't need to make you look like an idiot, you're doing a perfectly good job of it yourself.

2) Apprarently you don't understand the concept of a "metaphor", so I'll dumb down the previous statement for you to understand: If someone practices something WRONG for a very long time very diligently, they may very well get good at it. This does not mean, however, that the way they have practiced it is necessarily the most correct or most efficient way.

Capiche?

Quote:
yea...tenfold better guitar players. I'm pretty sure that 10x better than petrucci is impossible. Is there any reasoning behind this statement? seeing as how you're saying I'm ignorant and all, I'm just wondering if there was anything you were basing this upon. other than the way you like to play guitar.

O.K., kid, let's get this straight before you completely convince me you are mildly ******ed: Free-hand playing is NOT my way of playing. I didn't invent it. I didn't even like it up until I decided to dedicate pretty much my life to music and playing guitar. It is an extremely efficient way to eliminate tension while playing, as well as allowing your true speed and dexterity to come through.

Now that that's (hopefully) done with, I'll tell you my reasoning behind the statement you are referring to: Anchoring slows down guitarists. That's not an opinion, or a bias, or anything like that. It's a goddamn fact.

If you don't believe me, believe physics. Physics will tell you that the least amount of surface area interacting with another surface equals less friction, and therefore, more speed.

Quote:
if they are the product of practice, then the only reason you have for not being as good as them, is laziness. In fact, it should be 10x easier for you to achieve their level. seeing as how you're not even close, I can only assume that you're 10x as lazy as them.

I like how you're on my ass about apparently judging your guitar abilities, and yet you make a completely uneducated statement on my playing.

Quote:
there's something that's called gravity. its really nice because your hand will stick to the guitar without having to press it! seeing as how the guitar is lower than your elbow of course.

Yeah, well bud, sorry to burst your bubble, but gravity pushes things down, not sideways.

So unless you play exclusively on your back, your theory is kind of out the window...
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #86
Freepower

Quote:
what he said was.

everyone's got that carpal tunnel stuff when you've been doing things with your hands for a long time.

and he said he's been playing for 38 years.

Yes, but he also has to douse his hands in hot then cold water for an hour before a gig. Dont selectively quote to hide his pain. RSI, carpal, they're all a ****ing bitch - i have problems right now from stretch legato, and to dismiss it as "everyone" is wrong. I know where i made my practicing mistakes. Wrist position was not 100% perfect, and the more you play, the bigger your stretches, the less you'll get away with it.

Anchoring bull**** aside, take my advice on that.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #87
scheck006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni

I like how you're on my ass about apparently judging your guitar abilities, and yet you make a completely uneducated statement on my playing.

does this mean your better than petrucci? that's hard to believe. i'm sorry. I was clearly making an uneducated assumtion
Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #88
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
does this mean your better than petrucci? that's hard to believe. i'm sorry. I was clearly making an uneducated assumtion

I didn't say I was better or worse than anyone.

I simply know what's good practice and what is not.

(Nice rebuttle by the way... )
Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #89
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

How can someone be BETTER than Petrucci? Seriously, WHAT?

And man, do you EVER give up, even though you've been proven wrong a multitude of times?

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #90
scheck006

that's a subjective thing to say.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #91
Night_Lights
I've been here too long

^basically your arguement boils down to personal preference, whatever feels comfortable. then i guess i should stop using my pinkie and alt picking and just do downstrokes

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL]
Old 04-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #92
metalmaster362
shred fan

Quote:
well steve morse has been doing it for 30 years.

actually u got the wrong picking technique for morse and pettrucci if u say that they never bend there wrist when they play, they both change strings by moving there elbows up and down sorry, nice try

and theres no point i arguing in this btw its whatever works for that person
Old 04-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #93
scheck006

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster362
actually u got the wrong picking technique for morse and pettrucci if u say that they never bend there wrist when they play, they both change strings by moving there elbows up and down sorry, nice try

and theres no point i arguing in this btw its whatever works for that person

morse on his instructional video says that he doesn't pick from the elbow, but from the wrist. nice try

[quote]and theres no point i arguing in this btw its whatever works for that person[quote]

that's my whole argument. obviously I'm wrong though
Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #94
Sir Edwin CBE

If picking from the wrist is not a cause of carpal tunnel then anchoring is fine.

Harley Benton 7 String w/ Floyd Rose
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #95
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Edwin CBE
If picking from the wrist is not a cause of carpal tunnel then anchoring is fine.

It is a cause of carpal tunnel though.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #96
Freepower

^ a lot of things can cause carpal, its mostly tension and joint angling though.

Basically, picking in any form is unlikely to cause CT, IF your joints are properly loose and angled.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #97
axe_grinder247
UG's Shredder in Training

all this arguing back and forth is pointless...bottom line is, zam is right, and some mediocre little boy is trying to back up the fact that his technique isn't incorrect because petrucci or morse does the same thing...a classic quarrel...but like zam said before, you can get better at hammering nails with your hand after doing it long enough...if you don't want to end up with carpal tunnel or arthritis or whatnot, then good technique is the key, and anchoring is NOT good technique, regardless of who does it or how good they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #98
scheck006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni
It is a cause of carpal tunnel though.

nice fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_grinder247
all this arguing back and forth is pointless...bottom line is, zam is right, and some mediocre little boy is trying to back up the fact that his technique isn't incorrect because petrucci or morse does the same thing...a classic quarrel...but like zam said before, you can get better at hammering nails with your hand after doing it long enough...if you don't want to end up with carpal tunnel or arthritis or whatnot, then good technique is the key, and anchoring is NOT good technique, regardless of who does it or how good they are

and what gives you and zam so much authority? you have yet to prove that anchoring is harmful or less accurate.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #99
Vital remains

anchoring is ******ed. it limits string skipping capabilities
Old 04-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #100
Slurgi
Lazy Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital remains
anchoring is ******ed. it limits string skipping capabilities

Before you get hounded by the attack squad, I'll just go ahead and tell you that you're wrong. You can still do everything unanchored that you can do anchored.

(By my own admission, I anchor. Although this thread is somewhat convincing to switch to not anchoring... hmm....)

Rate This Thread: