Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

 
Old 04-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
 
Stratwizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hellsinki, Finland
***The Technique Thread***

I got okay from andrewbiles to do this, so this is how it goes:

If you got any questions related to shred techniques (i.e alternate picking, sweep picking, legato, tapping etc.) POST THEM HERE!

This is basically meant to get rid of those "how to start shred" and all the technique question threads popping up.

This thread is also good for shred noobs to gather information about shred techniques, and how to start with correct practice routines and so on.

__________________

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo Da Vinci
Stratwizard is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
buckethead>you
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
yeah ive been playin about 18 months. started learnin shred about 6 months ago. i can only manage like 10 nps. whenever i go faster than that, its super sloppy. how can i get away from that. flame all you want.
buckethead>you is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
 
SnowballofDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: IL
Great idea!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
SnowballofDoom is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
 
Stratwizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hellsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead>you
yeah ive been playin about 18 months. started learnin shred about 6 months ago. i can only manage like 10 nps. whenever i go faster than that, its super sloppy. how can i get away from that. flame all you want.


It's most likely the lack of practice. You've practised shred only 6 months, don't expect to go fast after so short period of time. It's all about building muscle memory. I suggest to set metronome so slow that you can play every note cleanly. Then start building the speed.
__________________

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo Da Vinci
Stratwizard is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
 
Gman400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Middlesex
Nice thread idea.

Can someone give a good definition of legato? I guess I have the basic idea, I mean I know it means smoothe and you do it using mostly hammerons and slides and stuff, but I need examples and excercises!

Also, I could definately use some tips on practicing shredding. Right now I'm just trying to build as much strength in my fingers and arm as I can with chromatic excercises and permutations all the way up the neck. BTW I've been playing for a little over 2 years and I'm probly the best in my town but I'm still slow for what I should probably be.
__________________
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Gman400 is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
buckethead>you
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
thanks, ill do that. btw dude you freakin wail! how long u been playin?
buckethead>you is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
 
Stratwizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hellsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman400
Nice thread idea.

Can someone give a good definition of legato? I guess I have the basic idea, I mean I know it means smoothe and you do it using mostly hammerons and slides and stuff, but I need examples and excercises!

Also, I could definately use some tips on practicing shredding. Right now I'm just trying to build as much strength in my fingers and arm as I can with chromatic excercises and permutations all the way up the neck. BTW I've been playing for a little over 2 years and I'm probly the best in my town but I'm still slow for what I should probably be.


If you want a good example of legato, listen the solo for Tender Surrender by Steve Vai. Try learning some licks from there.

You should definitely learn scales and arpeggios. Not just chromatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead>you
thanks, ill do that. btw dude you freakin wail! how long u been playin?


Thanks. I've been playing about 3 years now.
__________________

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo Da Vinci
Stratwizard is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
Acϵ♠
UG Board King
 
Acϵ♠'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mississwaga, Ontario
How does one "economy pick".
Acϵ♠ is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
BlackViper
UG Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Right now I can do chromatics at about 5nps what should I do to get faster. Ive been playing for about a year and a half. And what is the first thing I should learn if I want to shred.(Besides alternate picking.)
BlackViper is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
mortiis999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I can play a chromatic legato run, ascending, in 64ths, dunno what that is in notes per seconds
__________________
www.myspace.com/grendelsmere <- Black metal
mortiis999 is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Godly Moose
Please stop banning me :[
 
Godly Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: What happens when you combine diminished and augmented chords? You get demented chords!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortiis999
I can play a chromatic legato run, ascending, in 64ths, dunno what that is in notes per seconds



How many bpm's is it?
__________________
...........
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
BRO FIST
Godly Moose is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 05:47 PM   #12
mortiis999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly Moose
How many bpm's is it?


rest of band is at 220 - 245, changes half way through
__________________
www.myspace.com/grendelsmere <- Black metal
mortiis999 is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
 
Evil_Empire24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where U Think The Blues Is ? Maybe Behind Ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88
How does one "economy pick".
Sweeping means using a single picking stroke up or down across two or more strings. It means that when playing, one must make sure that the last note on a string, the pick is poised in the direction of the next string containing the next notes.

Sweeping is a combination of alternate and sweeping techniques. The reason is simple. It is impossible to sweep on one string So, on a single string, one still need to alternate pick.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Evil_Empire24-7 is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
PooKoo
UG Spammer
 
PooKoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maryland
^sorry, but that really confused me.
PooKoo is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #15
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
 
Gman400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Middlesex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratwizard
If you want a good example of legato, listen the solo for Tender Surrender by Steve Vai. Try learning some licks from there.

You should definitely learn scales and arpeggios. Not just chromatics.



Thanks I've heard that song before but I'll look into it in detail. Oh and I know some arpeggios and all my modes and stuff so I'm not only practicing chromatics, that's just been what's taking up a lot of my time lately.

In the second paragraph he meant to say "Economy picking." Basically if you do a downstroke on a string, then you go to the string above that one you again use an downstroke, which makes it kinda sweeping. If you end on an upstroke and you go to the string below, you use another upstroke. If you stay on the same string you just alternate.
__________________
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Gman400 is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #16
shredfan
UG Member
 
shredfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortiis999
rest of band is at 220 - 245, changes half way through


You reckon you can play 64th notes at that tempo?
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
shredfan is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
mortiis999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
yes

edit actually no, i checked, its 16ths at 245 bpm
__________________
www.myspace.com/grendelsmere <- Black metal

Last edited by mortiis999 : 04-30-2006 at 06:12 PM.
mortiis999 is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 06:10 PM   #18
JkHalen
Registered User
 
JkHalen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Well, I'd like to know how can I improve at guitar playing. I consider myself a "kinda regular" here at the shred forums but I'm not THAT great of guitar player myself since I've been playing for just recently, 2 years. I've started to get into shredding just about 3 months ago so I consider myself "noob at shreding". Can you give me advice and some songs I should get into?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmonsterr
The first time i heard about Granny Sluts 16 on DVD i was like OMG AWESOME.I feel like they made it just for me, then after i saw it the black granny at the end just makes me feel really awkward and depressed
JkHalen is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #19
Acϵ♠
UG Board King
 
Acϵ♠'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mississwaga, Ontario
Call me crazy but im pretty sure we already had a thread for this.


Quote:
Sweeping means using a single picking stroke up or down across two or more strings. It means that when playing, one must make sure that the last note on a string, the pick is poised in the direction of the next string containing the next notes.

Sweeping is a combination of alternate and sweeping techniques. The reason is simple. It is impossible to sweep on one string So, on a single string, one still need to alternate pick.


I know what sweep picking is. I asked what economy picking is.
Acϵ♠ is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #20
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
 
Gman400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Middlesex
Once again, he meant to say "Economy picking" in the 2nd paragraph.
__________________
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Gman400 is offline  
 


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.