Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2006, 04:36 AM   #41
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

Sure.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #42
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I find it easier when my pick is angled at about 2 o'clock, with the pointed end closer to the neck.

like this

V
-----------
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #43
wil
..but Teles are better

Ok, i sometimes encounter a problem whereby if im picking really fast--or at least trying to!--i find it hard to keep my wrist loose enough AND hold the pick firmly enough at the same time. This might not make a great deal of sense, but basically,im trying so hard to remain loose---as im constantly reading that tension=bad---that i cant always maintain the pressure between my index finger and thumb to grip the pick.
Its fine if i sort of want to 'float' the pick and graze the strings, but if i want to dig inwith a sharp attack or get a pinch i sometimes end up dropping the thing!

Does anyone have any advice because im pretty sure im doing SOMETHING wrong which is hindering me from getting to where i want to be.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #44
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I sometimes have that problem too. I used to have it more, then i switched pick thickness. I think it helps a lot.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:26 AM   #45
wil
..but Teles are better

Well, i use heavy fender picks--dont ask what size...---which are awful for strumming--not a lot of flexibility in them--but i find them good for lead stuff, i can pick really well and cleanly at a moderate tempo but speeding up is another issue...

Im getting worried because, im currently doing a varied practise regime and im noticing my legato, sweeping and tapping are all coming on in leaps and bounds so my regime seems pretty benefitial, but the picking isnt really seeming to go anywhere --i know its probably one of the hardest techniques which requires one of the most amounts of practise, but like i said, im worried all im doing by CONTINUIng to do what i do is only hindering me...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:40 AM   #46
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak

^i play in a classical position so that my hand can be free to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Old 05-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #47
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil
Ok, i sometimes encounter a problem whereby if im picking really fast--or at least trying to!--i find it hard to keep my wrist loose enough AND hold the pick firmly enough at the same time. This might not make a great deal of sense, but basically,im trying so hard to remain loose---as im constantly reading that tension=bad---that i cant always maintain the pressure between my index finger and thumb to grip the pick.
Its fine if i sort of want to 'float' the pick and graze the strings, but if i want to dig inwith a sharp attack or get a pinch i sometimes end up dropping the thing!

Does anyone have any advice because im pretty sure im doing SOMETHING wrong which is hindering me from getting to where i want to be.

Ever thought about changing the way you hold the pick? Also, how do you pick? Translatory? Rotary or Oscillatory? (not sure on those spellings)
Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #48
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil
Well, i use heavy fender picks--dont ask what size...---which are awful for strumming--not a lot of flexibility in them--but i find them good for lead stuff, i can pick really well and cleanly at a moderate tempo but speeding up is another issue...

Im getting worried because, im currently doing a varied practise regime and im noticing my legato, sweeping and tapping are all coming on in leaps and bounds so my regime seems pretty benefitial, but the picking isnt really seeming to go anywhere --i know its probably one of the hardest techniques which requires one of the most amounts of practise, but like i said, im worried all im doing by CONTINUIng to do what i do is only hindering me...

What I do is to...kinda focus more on keeping your wrist relaxed whilst playing, so you're basically multi-tasking.

Also when you warm up just try erm...shaking your wrist whilst holding your pick and then try doing your regular warm up whilst focusing on keep your wrist relaxed and loose, if you start to feel tension in your wrist just give it a rest and then carry on....

I'm **** at explaining this, sorry....
Old 05-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #49
wil
..but Teles are better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erc
Ever thought about changing the way you hold the pick? Also, how do you pick? Translatory? Rotary or Oscillatory? (not sure on those spellings)

Sorry, im not too hot on the technical terms for this--can anyone explain? Im sure Freepower had some pictures didnt he?

As far as holding the pick goes--what are the options? How tight should i grip it? Do i lightly grip it between my index and thumb or really apply the pressure with my index finger? I cant really explain but at the moment im doing the latter which means my index finger is sort of bending 'inwards' at the top knuckle. Is this causing bad tension? I mean there IS tension in the fingers of my picking hand but my wrist is pretty tension free...

One thing ive often thought about is HOW MUCH of the pick is potrudring(sp???) from my thumb and index---at the moment its quite a lot, maybe 5-6 mm---im sure i need to reduce this and only have the smallest point striking the strings but i find this limits my options and mobility, its great for fast picking on one string but for some reason i find it harder to change strings that way... and i also find it hard to nail pinch harmonics with only 1 or 2 mm of the pick...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #50
Andrewbiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly Moose
245 x 4 = 980

980 / 60 = 16.33(Repeating)

So 16.3 nps.

Is that it? It sounded a lot faster.

That Vai acoustic guitar looked beautiful.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #51
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil
Sorry, im not too hot on the technical terms for this--can anyone explain? Im sure Freepower had some pictures didnt he?

First of all, the wrist motions...

Translation

Lay your hand and wrist flat on the desk surface. Restrain your wrist loosely with your other hand. The necessary wrist motion for scribbling will be translation, which is side to side wrist motion. You will draw long arcs on the paper, part of a circle whose center is your wrist.

Rotation

Raise your wrist two to four inches off the surface, making a circle around your wrist with your other hand so it can move freely but not relocate. Rotate your wrist as you would if turning a doorknob. Your fingertips and the tip of the pen move through an arc of a circle whose radius is the distance from your wrist to the surface. Notice that the marks the pen makes get shorter and straighter, because theoretically a circle (the pen) and a plane (the paper) only intersect in a point, which gets extended to closer to an inch because of the slop in your wrist, hand and paper.

Oscillation

Lay your wrist down again, but with the bone nearest the little finger resting on the surface, and the bone nearest the thumb up in the air. Your wrist should be rotated 90 degrees from where it was before, rolled away from your body. Restrain it. You'll have to hold the pen differently, but now if you rotate you will just make dots. The solution is oscillation, the same kind of motion used in knocking on a door or playing piano from the wrist. It is what most people use when writing, also, although usually with more like a 45 degree wrist offset. Now the pen makes long arcs again.

Oscillation is the best of these motions. You can speed it up almost without any limit without any tension. You can also cover all the strings without relocating the wrist. It's also as natural as rotation when combined with moving arm, so you get kind-of strumming feel.

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #52
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil
As far as holding the pick goes--what are the options? How tight should i grip it? Do i lightly grip it between my index and thumb or really apply the pressure with my index finger? I cant really explain but at the moment im doing the latter which means my index finger is sort of bending 'inwards' at the top knuckle. Is this causing bad tension? I mean there IS tension in the fingers of my picking hand but my wrist is pretty tension free...

Well, it's a bad way to hold the pick between index finger's side and thumb. Holding the pick that way involves pressing the thumb against the side of the index finger, which is an unnatural position for the index finger, and that causes tension.

I've tried to learn a new way of picking where the pick is held between the tip of the thumb and pad of the index finger. For me at least, this leads into zero tension. Allthough, it takes helluva lot relearning and I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice my technique...

Old 05-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #53
wil
..but Teles are better

OK, i think i understand, although some of those images are a bit hard for me to grasp, especially as i write left handed but pick right handed--doh!!--but i sort of get it. Can you explain the oscillation a bit more?? I understand but im a bit confused as to how this translates on to the guitar...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #54
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger

What is not clear about the oscillation?

Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #55
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy

I'm kinda confused about it too. I pretty much get what you're supposed to do as far as holding your hand and stuff but it doesn't make that much sense on guitar, I think I'm oscillation though. It doesn't matter to me though, I'll just ask my teacher.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #56
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger

George Benson is a good example of oscillation picker. I'll find you some videos later, I gotta go for today..

Old 05-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #57
seljer
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballofDoom
We mean keeping the pointy end facing toward the pickups, but slightly turning the entire pick (angling) it so the side of it 'slices' the string.

Like in this pic:

[img]http://vai.com/SightsSounds/2003_album/steveacou_LRG.jpg

One side of his pick is closer to the floor than the other.

damn, that chord is a tricky one

other than that, I just half to ask: Is fast picking really just a thing of practice? I've been playing guitar for less than 3 years (1 year only on a classical without a pic), I can the I can do 16th notes of simple stuff cleanly at around 128bpm which works out to 8 - 9 nps. If you keep going gradually you eventually get there?
some general frustrations I guess
Old 05-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #58
Scorzerci
UG Addict

Seljer- you got de-column-cleanerised?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #59
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer
other than that, I just half to ask: Is fast picking really just a thing of practice? I've been playing guitar for less than 3 years (1 year only on a classical without a pic), I can the I can do 16th notes of simple stuff cleanly at around 128bpm which works out to 8 - 9 nps. If you keep going gradually you eventually get there?
some general frustrations I guess

Yep. Well, it's a thing of accurate practice, the speed comes later.

Just stay loose, accurate, controlled, practice regularly, and the speed will come together soon enough.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #60
splice
crank that jessie jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
splice......that sure as hell better not be chuck norris in your avatar.....so help me god, if that's chuck norris....

indeed it is

chuck norris

Rate This Thread: