Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #61
seljer
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorzerci
Seljer- you got de-column-cleanerised?

I volentarily stepped down. I had some kind of 3 weeks crisis were I didn't play guitar (or visit this site), and now I'm filled with bitterness and resent towards all guitarists (myself included , I thinking about getting a bass just so I could tell people I play bass instead of guitar) and felt like I'd end up doing something stupid with the powers I had...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #62
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Quote:
other than that, I just half to ask: Is fast picking really just a thing of practice? I've been playing guitar for less than 3 years (1 year only on a classical without a pic), I can the I can do 16th notes of simple stuff cleanly at around 128bpm which works out to 8 - 9 nps. If you keep going gradually you eventually get there?
some general frustrations I guess

Well you do have to look at how you are picking. Sure you can get very fast with holding your pick just about anyway but some ways are easier and better then others.

Quote:
I'm kinda confused about it too. I pretty much get what you're supposed to do as far as holding your hand and stuff but it doesn't make that much sense on guitar, I think I'm oscillation though. It doesn't matter to me though, I'll just ask my teacher.

It is exactly like knocking a door. I have fingers faced almost directly down to the ground.

Quote:
As far as holding the pick goes--what are the options? How tight should i grip it? Do i lightly grip it between my index and thumb or really apply the pressure with my index finger? I cant really explain but at the moment im doing the latter which means my index finger is sort of bending 'inwards' at the top knuckle. Is this causing bad tension? I mean there IS tension in the fingers of my picking hand but my wrist is pretty tension free...

Tension in your fingers isn't nearly as bad as tension in the wrist/arm/shoulder. Its not as hampering but it still should be gotten rid of. One of the best ways I have found to hold the pick (as stratwizard mentioned before) is to hold it with your thumb locked back and with the pad (tip) of your finger. Its the best way to hold it I've come across and I've gone through a tone of ways to hold the damned thing.

Also I find holding the pick closest to the bottom gives the most control (too close can keep you from doing good sweeping though with your thumb knocking strings).

Quote:
George Benson is a good example of oscillation picker. I'll find you some videos later, I gotta go for today..

He is, but just don't imitate him totally, as he anchors. So don't anchor. ^_^

Another player that oscillation picks is Shawn Lane http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...wn+lane&pl=true (there is a vid of him doing a fast run)
Old 05-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #63
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy

Thanks Erc, that was a helpful post. Just about to wrap up a 3-hour practice, which is very unusual for me :/
Old 05-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #64
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by splice
indeed it is

chuck norris

*dramatic look-up-at-the-sky-with-arms-stretched-up pose* Nnnoooooooooooooooo!

...anyway....*cough*

So I am starting to relearn playing the basics of scales, such as the G-major scale. It's short, simple, and easy to build up speed while playing accurately on(at least to me it is). I don't suppose there are anything else I can really learn technique-wise at this point, is there?

EDIT: You know....I just realized how ignorant of a question that is that I just asked. Oh well....I suppose when one knows nothing, one can only learn.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #65
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

^ Hahaha, yea you are right that was an ignorant question.

*sigh* when I think of all the things that I want to learn to do and at varying speeds...ugh...overwhelming.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #66
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

....yes..it was very dull of me to ask it that way. I also just realized that after trying to rephrase my question about 23 different ways(not even a joke. that is the actual number), there is no way I can ask it in a manner that is answerable nor simple to interpret. Maybe someone out there manages to somehow get what I tried to say. But I doubt it. There are very few who think like me.....and that is probably for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Old 05-02-2006, 02:59 AM   #67
gimme_fuel_89
UG's crazy warehouse guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erc
He is, but just don't imitate him totally, as he anchors. So don't anchor. ^_^

What's wrong with anchoring? It offers extra balance and Petrucci does it.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #68
Boghead

anchoring=tension, unless you can get rid of the the tension
You can train yourself without anchoring, heck thats what i did
i had to go back to 8ths at 60 bpm to relearn but its all worth it
Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #69
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme_fuel_89
What's wrong with anchoring? It offers extra balance and Petrucci does it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...13&page=1&pp=20

Watch petrucci play a fast run. LOOK how tense he is - you can actually see him almost literally breath a sigh of relief at the end of each run.

Poor guy.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #70
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

^ That thread was filled with so much persistant ignorance that it hurt my head. (by our anchoring friends who wanted to justify their technique for some reason 0_o)

Remember, just because a good guitarist like JP anchors doesn't make it right at all. Nor any other bad habit, they just learned to play fast even with the hampering effect of anchoring.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #71
gimme_fuel_89
UG's crazy warehouse guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower

Watch petrucci play a fast run. LOOK how tense he is - you can actually see him almost literally breath a sigh of relief at the end of each run.

Poor guy.

Yeah, I've noticed how tense Petrucci gets - but I didn't know it was due to the anchoring. I've also noticed how tense I've been getting lately (trying very hard to build speed), but I was advised by some respectable guitarists to anchor.

Anyway, that thread was really enlightening. Everything you, Zamboni and Resi said was true and beneficial, and I highly respect you guys as guitarists and guitar theorists. It's a shame I didn't learn this earlier, because practice has been painful for a while, and that could've been easily prevented. I'd just like to thank you alot for pointing that out and helping me become a better guitar player
I'm gonna start working on that as soon as I finish this post.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #72
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower

Poor guy.

Wow...

With right kind of wrist motion JP could get the full potential out of his technqiue. Same goes to the picking technique. I wonder how fast he would be...

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #73
Scorzerci
UG Addict

I rest my pinky right under the pickup (if it were at a 90° angle) so does that count as anchoring it cus I'm just resting it there not trying to hold my hand in place or anything like that?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #74
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

Resting is anchoring.

Just because your body fools you into thinking you're "resting" it thus not generating tension... False. You are.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #75
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

If its resting, why do you make the effort of putting it there? The normal shape of the human hand, with no muscles tense, does not have a pinky extended, y'know.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #76
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger

I've been experimenting with two different ways on picking; holding the hand in fist and keeping it open. When I hold it in fist I can pick a lot faster as the there's less mass flying around, allthough keeping it open seems more natural.

I'm wondering how you keep you hand when you pick...

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #77
Scorzerci
UG Addict

a loose fist
Old 05-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #78
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b

I've been doing what stratwizard just described.
Is either one better than the other or doesn't it really matter?
I wondered because my hand feels comfortable either way...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #79
mr_clapton
Its JIMI!

can somebody please enlighten me on how to do those delightful mattias harmonics?

"Mother where is the carving knife i want to put my HAPPY face on!"
Old 05-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #80
gtgram14
Hippymusicshredfestival

About this whole anchoring thing, I find that the natural position of my hand when I play while standing is with my hand lightly resting against the strings just in front of the bridge. My hand moves quite freely and for string skipping stuff, my hand hardly even makes contact with the guitar. Is it worth is to convert to the oscillation picking thing with my elbow kind of sticking out and my wrist hanging down? Thats a bad description but I know the correct hand positions for it, it just doesnt really feel natural. And I can somehow picture my shoulder getting sore after long periods of time.

Rate This Thread: