Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 AM   #1
Cheeseshark

How does Buckethead exist

The guy has 148 studio albums and has worked on 50 albums from other artists! Please god tell me how he exists? Does he exist? Is he he some some sort of riffing demigod?

Really though, how could someone write that many riffs? Does he write something new each time he sits down to practice? Is his music any good?

Last edited by Cheeseshark : 03-13-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:22 AM   #2
xxhendrixfanxx

He's badass, and completely unlike anybody else. Look up Soothsayer
xxhendrixfanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:12 AM   #3
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!

His music is amazing, and very diverse. It's hard to tell you where to start if you want to hear some of it and it really depends on what style you like.

The Inbred Mountain trio are some offbeat, wacky songs, while Soothsayer is a more soulful song. A short heavy metal but still strange song would be one like Bloody Rainbow Spiraling Sherbet Scoop. Most people are fans of his albums Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell, Albino Slug, Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot, Colma, Electric Tears, and Crime Slunk Scene, but I don't think you can go wrong.

Some of my favorite songs are King James, The Android of Notre Dame, Droid Assembly, Spokes for the Wheel of Torment, Electric Tears, Hall of Scalding Vats, Killing Cone, etc. I could go on all day about the songs I like from Buckethead, but I would end up naming them all.

I thought with all his Pikes series albums there would be tons of rehashed material, but a lot of it is fresh with a great sound to it.
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
N3WW4V3N1NJ4
Rockin' With Dokken!

He is God
N3WW4V3N1NJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Jimjambanx

Part of me thinks he's an android that can play any genre of music write and album with it within a couple of days, but the other part of me can't see how a robot can write something like this:

Also another good one that isn't mentioned often, Lotus Island
Jimjambanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Knarrenheino
SoCalled guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3WW4V3N1NJ4
He is God

A God with a KFC bucket on his head though
Knarrenheino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Enteroctopus
Banned

Simple enough to do that. The example above takes advantage of a simple structure, based on a vi-IV chord progression, key of G#min, relative to B.

One can set up simple progressions like that and dink around all day long, and nothing he's doing is really that extraordinary. Sure, it sounds pretty and he's obviously talented and everything, but he's not really writing songs, imo.

It's very guitaristically minded music, and driven by that as a lead instrument, period. There's nothing wrong with that, but nothing particularly mysterious.

Get yourself a decent microphone (a Shure SM57 will do) and some good software and you're off and going.
Enteroctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

I think Buckethead is pretty neat but he doesn't belong in the Metal forum
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

According to Les Claypool, Buckethead is John Stamos. That means that he probably has the entire Full House cast behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:27 AM   #10
Cheeseshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enteroctopus
Simple enough to do that. The example above takes advantage of a simple structure, based on a vi-IV chord progression, key of G#min, relative to B.

One can set up simple progressions like that and dink around all day long, and nothing he's doing is really that extraordinary. Sure, it sounds pretty and he's obviously talented and everything, but he's not really writing songs, imo.

It's very guitaristically minded music, and driven by that as a lead instrument, period. There's nothing wrong with that, but nothing particularly mysterious.

Get yourself a decent microphone (a Shure SM57 will do) and some good software and you're off and going.

wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Maiden
I think Buckethead is pretty neat but he doesn't belong in the Metal forum

At the time of making the original post I was under the impression he was exclusively a metal guitarist, I have since discovered that he does way more than that. I just don't know how to move the thread elsewhere.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseshark
At the time of making the original post I was under the impression he was exclusively a metal guitarist, I have since discovered that he does way more than that. I just don't know how to move the thread elsewhere.

He has never done Metal as far as I am aware.

But you can PM a mod I think
Old 04-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
Enteroctopus
Banned

From what I've heard of his 498,000 albums it just sounds like the kind of stuff you'd come up with if you laid down a moderately complex backing track - say a couple of seventh chords - and then improvised over the top.

Sure, there are improv on top of improv, kind of a Classical approach like a Canon, maybe, but it's still not extremely complex or meaningful in terms of songwriting. It sounds like an exercise.

He's pretty good at it, but it's still kind of methodical sounding.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
romencer17
UG God

I'm concerned by how many people in this thread seem to imply improvisation is lesser than playing pre-composed songs.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Enteroctopus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by romencer17
I'm concerned by how many people in this thread seem to imply improvisation is lesser than playing pre-composed songs.

It has its place, but I don't like bands/artists who rely too heavily on it.

I can tell when I listen to something and it's basically a bunch of noodling. Most Opeth for the past ten years or so is basically that:

Kinda cool little repetitious bass groove
Guitar goes: Floodly-doodly-doo

Let's call this one, "Windswept Shore" or some poetic crap like that...

Sorry, that's just not a song. That's you + ProTools thinking, "Oh crap, I better do something musical since I'm a famous musician.. Hmm.. Okay, that'll do!"
Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
romencer17
UG God

I'm concerned by anyone who equates improvisation with 'noodling'. To say that a song focusing on a soloist improvising over a backing groove isn't a song is just absurd, and dumb.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #16
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Originally Posted by romencer17
I'm concerned by anyone who equates improvisation with 'noodling'. To say that a song focusing on a soloist improvising over a backing groove isn't a song is just absurd, and dumb.

This
Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #17
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!

It's not music, it's jazz

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #18
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
It's not music, it's jazz

f u k you
Old 04-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #19
progbass
UG Resident

I put forth Fripp and Eno's Frippertonics or Wind on Water to challenge that.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
Enteroctopus
Banned

The original point of the thread was, "How does Buckethead exist?"

I explained: the guy improvises over reasonably intelligent backing tracks, records it, and calls it a record. There's a big difference between doing that and writing songs, hence bands like Borknagar don't have 468 albums.

I personally prefer Borknagar. I can tell they spent time ironing it out, on the back end it takes me several listens to unravel it all. In truth I am still uncovering new little twists and turns in that stuff.

Buckethead? Impressive, but I figure it out in, like, 0.5 seconds. All of it. Nothing to unravel, no depth or development.

It's just a different, far more efficient writing process.

I also mentioned post-Blackwater Park Opeth, which strikes me the same way. A few standout tracks, like "Ghost of Perdition" are obviously well-developed masterpieces. But the back end of that album I frankly skip...

Now I have to add something important here: I like Opeth "Pale Communion" A LOT!

Why do I like it? It's not hiding, masquerading as a "metal album" anymore. It's fusion, or "progressive rock" if you like to call it that. As a fan of 70's fusion I have heard better, but Pale Communion is really, really good for a modern effort. Pale Communion is far superior to Heritage, or frankly anything Mikael and company have put out for the past ten years.

It's improv. It's Jazzy. It's great!

One thing it's not is metal.

..and neither is Buckethead.

To be metal the music has to be approached differently. There has to be intentionality to it, things need to fall into place for a reason - at least I feel that way.

One band I really dig right now is Ne Obliviscaris.

Now THAT is fusion-metal! Amateur shot, but you get the idea. Truly brilliant band.

Last edited by Enteroctopus : 04-08-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Rate This Thread: