Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #21
Craigster

I liked them at first, but I think their songs are a bit obvious, and after you've got sick of the drum and bass element of the music, they get a bit dull. I've got a bunch of their old bootlegs and e.p.s, which, as I say, I liked, and still kinda do, but the songs don't continue to interest ame like they did the first couple of times I heard them.

The ain't bad, but it's not gonna start a revolution I don't think.
Craigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #22
Hanzi_G
Screw You Guys

I like them alot. Their music is so simple, but so effective... it's really great stuff.

I really love A View From The Afternoon right now too, the drumming is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Hanzi_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #23
heroin_to_tell
Karma Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_Hansard
I like Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts, Cigarette Smoke and On The Run From The MI5. Most of the old demos are cool.

They are highly overrated, hyped up to sweet Jesus by NME and a bunch of twats at times.

But Alex is a great lyricist.

Ok for a listen now and then.

The End.

dude they totally deserve the press........well maybe not all of the press but that album is pretty amazing ....I absolutely love Still Take You Home, Mardy Bum and When the Sun Goes Down
heroin_to_tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 PM   #24
heroin_to_tell
Karma Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite22
I don't see why this should be fans only? Surely anyone who has an opinin on them should be allowed to post, so long as its vaguely intelligible.

I'm going to be the first to openly say I dislike them. As a band, there's nothing majorly wrong with them, but I don't like the hype - let's be honest, it's highly unjustified - over what is really just YET another indie/garage/folk/rock band. Do we need one more? The lyrics aren't as fantastic as everyone says they are. I read some article in a tabloid where they were like "Arctic Monkeys lyrics are better than Morrissey, he could never have come up with a gem like__________" (the so-called 'gem' was actually pretty cringeworthy and not really that clever/witty/intelligent/worthwhile). But if you like them I guess you like them and that's your opinin. It just seems like too many people love them because the NME says so.

And I certianly don't agree that a) they're so high on the Reading/Leeds bill (after one majorly overrated album - this is worse than the time The Darkness headlined above The Offspring), and b) they moaned because they wanted to be headlining. How arrogant.

You arent making intelligent posts or stating opinions that are really valid....Firstly, you obviously havent heard any Arctic Monkeys to say that they are an indie/garage/rock/folk band......Theres nothing even f*cking remotely folk on any arctic monkeys song ive heard, its not lo-fi or scratchy enough to be considered garage and i dont necessarily see anything indie about their sound. To me its more britpop/punk. I respect you not thinking that their lyrics live up to the hype but i happen to think that lyrically they show moments of brilliance, the way they talk about the ills and joys of the UK's nightlife or social conditions, it reminds me of hip-hop. The kind of hip-hop that is a too shallow to be regarded as something of greatness but still witty and insightful enough to be regarded as something of somewhat talent or skill. But what the f*ck does their postition on The Reading/Leeds bill have anything to do with their music....lets get real, man
Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 AM   #25
waldorphPRS41
quixotic

I effing love them, I don't care what anyone says.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:36 AM   #26
Andrewbiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroin_to_tell
You arent making intelligent posts or stating opinions that are really valid....Firstly, you obviously havent heard any Arctic Monkeys to say that they are an indie/garage/rock/folk band......Theres nothing even f*cking remotely folk on any arctic monkeys song ive heard, its not lo-fi or scratchy enough to be considered garage and i dont necessarily see anything indie about their sound. To me its more britpop/punk.

I think Rob was refering to the fact that every rock band these days that gets attention from the press seems to be lumped into one (or more) of those genres and that generally the publicised ones are always pretty dull.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #27
jamiecallaghan
UG's drum machine

I love it on Fake Tales, the bit where it goes:

''yeah i'm sure its pretty far''.......... DU DU DUUUUUU

(MENTAL)

'AND YEAH I'D LOVE TO TELL YOU...''

My favourite bit on the album
jamiecallaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #28
Yertle
a fIREHOSE fAN

I dunno much about them, but I'm thinking about downloading the EP. Sounds quite good.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypeanutman
damn yertle, you got some groove
Yertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #29
kryptonite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroin_to_tell
You arent making intelligent posts or stating opinions that are really valid....Firstly, you obviously havent heard any Arctic Monkeys to say that they are an indie/garage/rock/folk band......Theres nothing even f*cking remotely folk on any arctic monkeys song ive heard, its not lo-fi or scratchy enough to be considered garage and i dont necessarily see anything indie about their sound. To me its more britpop/punk. I respect you not thinking that their lyrics live up to the hype but i happen to think that lyrically they show moments of brilliance, the way they talk about the ills and joys of the UK's nightlife or social conditions, it reminds me of hip-hop. The kind of hip-hop that is a too shallow to be regarded as something of greatness but still witty and insightful enough to be regarded as something of somewhat talent or skill. But what the f*ck does their postition on The Reading/Leeds bill have anything to do with their music....lets get real, man
Wait...you think I haven't heard any Arctic Monkeys? Sorry, but EVERYWHERE I go, someone is raving over them. It's impossible to bloody escape them! Alright, I don't have the CD, the reason being that I don't like the 5 or 6 tracks (excluding singles) I've heard. I'm not the kind of person to properly dismiss things without giving them a go. I did and I don't like it. I think that's fair enough. My comments with regard to genre are actually not essentially my words, but all are descriptions that I've read in magazines and online reviews. If you disagree in particular with the 'folk' bracket, then take it up with Rock Sound. I'm not saying their definition is right, I was merely trying to express my opinion that this is another one of those NME bandwagon bands. They all get called those 'buzzwords'.

I still don't agree with the lyrics either. Nothing special in my eyes. I respect that you disagree though, and lyrics are largely personal things so if you find release or meaning in them then that's down to you. Personally, I don't feel like they relate to me for one thing, and secondly, they're not as witty or ground-breaking as everyone says they are. I still don't see that.

The comment I made about their position on the Reading/Leeds bill has nothing to do with their music. I don't believe I ever said that; I was referring to their arrogance
in requesting to be so high. If I don't like the music of a band and I don't like their attitude either, they've got no chance with me.

This month: Pacer/The Tidal Sleep/Sam Russo/Mothbites/Talons/Josh Rock Photography
kryptonite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #30
Yertle
a fIREHOSE fAN

Actually, I'm loving this band right now.

I thank this thread for introducing them to me.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypeanutman
damn yertle, you got some groove
Yertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:25 AM   #31
public_witness
Banned

arctic monkeys are a lame hype band. look at their ****ing name. no one with a two digit IQ would name their band 'arctic monkeys'
public_witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:37 PM   #32
j0nmcc
former B&A mod

Not to sound rude, but I agree with Rob on this one

but guys, guys....tone the anger down!
j0nmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #33
BassNewbie

Another badn glorified for being british and indy

lol nothing great about their guitaring or vox. and lyrics is a matter of appeal and opinion
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #34
heroin_to_tell
Karma Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite22
Wait...you think I haven't heard any Arctic Monkeys? Sorry, but EVERYWHERE I go, someone is raving over them. It's impossible to bloody escape them! Alright, I don't have the CD, the reason being that I don't like the 5 or 6 tracks (excluding singles) I've heard. I'm not the kind of person to properly dismiss things without giving them a go. I did and I don't like it. I think that's fair enough. My comments with regard to genre are actually not essentially my words, but all are descriptions that I've read in magazines and online reviews. If you disagree in particular with the 'folk' bracket, then take it up with Rock Sound. I'm not saying their definition is right, I was merely trying to express my opinion that this is another one of those NME bandwagon bands. They all get called those 'buzzwords'.

I still don't agree with the lyrics either. Nothing special in my eyes. I respect that you disagree though, and lyrics are largely personal things so if you find release or meaning in them then that's down to you. Personally, I don't feel like they relate to me for one thing, and secondly, they're not as witty or ground-breaking as everyone says they are. I still don't see that.

The comment I made about their position on the Reading/Leeds bill has nothing to do with their music. I don't believe I ever said that; I was referring to their arrogance
in requesting to be so high. If I don't like the music of a band and I don't like their attitude either, they've got no chance with me.

oh, i see. point taken and my apologies for the bill comment....It just sounded to me like intelligent criticism with an underlayer of senseless bashing, but now i see...i do think you should give the lyrics one more shot though.....but hell, if i lived in the uk id probably be terribly sick of them as well
Old 05-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #35
PinkIsCool
UG's Pink Pirate!

I picked up thier album on thursday. My favorite song since I first saw them was A Certain Romance, but When the Sun goes down is quite the tune.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:33 AM   #36
Diversity
Boss DJ.

seeing them on the 27th. ahh so excited. shame the bassist will not be there. should be a good show anyhow.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #37
davo_333

does anyone have 'view from the afternoon' in like a studio version šos i like the song but can't here it very well on my version and seing as its a single now i firgured some1 would have a better version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
davo_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #38
somethingfunni
Banned

woohoooo im seeing them at reading aswell. my favourite songs on the album is probably 'A certain romance', 'the view from the afternoon' and 'You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights....'
somethingfunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #39
umbilical_mind

bah, they're alright. Nothing really sets them apart from all the other indie sh!te that's being pumped our way at the moment though. Still, each to his/her own.
umbilical_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #40
tezhall
This one goes to eleven..

Location: A world of fun and sunshine - come join me, it's lovely :)
...so it occured to me that the thing I disliked about them the most was the hype, and the fact I was expected to like them because "I like that sort of thing".

So being an open minded individual I gave them another listen.

I think if they'd not put out the worst song ever as their first single, I might like them more. As it is, they have one song (The Sun Goes Down) that I find quite catchy, and I like the use of the word "summat" in it as well.

Other than that, they're still not my thing tbh. And they are almost certainly a bunch of pricks, and without giving out a "friend of a friend" tale, by all accounts they've change a lot since they got big - which is probably expected, and probably what I'd do, but still it's not a nice thing now is it.
tezhall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: