Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
.:iloveyou:.
i cant afford 2 get sick!

Filipino Guitars

So it turns out I get to go to the Philippines this summer. A friend told me that guitars there are a lot cheaper than the U.S. prices. Is this true?

And if the prices are lower, will they be lesss quality? Or is it just that american money is just more valuable than filipino money?

And will I get to buy my same favorite guitar brands like Alvarez and Washburn? And what are some good filipino guitar brands?

I know that's a lot of questions, but any help will be very appreciated!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
fsb_ben
Champ!

Have fun shipping it back to North America bud. Usually the shipping/customs taxes make it even MORE expensive to buy overseas. Altho the guitar may be cheaper, the process of bringing it back will be a total bitch. And plus, it might get damaged in shipping as well.

Best guitars under $300 thread
Best looking guitar thread

My Gear

Martin D15
Ibanez RD707
Boss DS-1
Fender BXR 25
fsb_ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
ak Gitaroo Man
"...the Dude abides."

Location: Ketchikan, Alaska...the Salmon Capital of the World
i'm filipino and i've been to the philippines many times. 1 dollar = 50 pesos ish. you won't find many guitar brands you see here in the states there unless you go to the capital manila and find a nice store. most filipino brands are knockoffs. gibson and fender knockoffs. a pretty good brand is Fernandes which makes fender look-alikes. my older brother has a black bass with gold hardware and it's pretty good. just a little neck heavy but it's all good. cost 50,000 pesos/100 bucks. also because most guitars are copies, they'll be cheaper.

edit^: bringing back a guitar from my homeland is easy as long as you don't have a hard case. just bring your guitar back in a gig bag as your personal item on the airplane. cost nothing and the sexy flight attendants are glad to put your guitar in a closet down in first class. if they can't just put up in the bag things above your seat. they're secure in there. never had one guitar get damged. trust me on this. i've done it with skate boards, acoustics, cymbals, electrics, basses. just make sure you got a gig bag.

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."

Last edited by ak Gitaroo Man : 05-13-2006 at 10:24 PM.
ak Gitaroo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #4

^Filipino skateboarder and guitar player, my kinda guy, lol.

Well that helped me a lot, and I didn't even think of getting it back to the U.S...
So when you say its a gibson and fender knockoff, does that mean its good or bad?
And Fernandes is the only good guitar brand in the Philppines?

Well, as they say in tagalog, salamat.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
ak Gitaroo Man
"...the Dude abides."

Location: Ketchikan, Alaska...the Salmon Capital of the World
...i wish i knew i could speak tagalog. i can only understand it but not speak it.....

but anyways the copies there are iffy. some can suck, some can be amazing. you can get a good steal for a great cheap copy guitar there. fernandes is A good brand. i'm sure there are other better brands there. i think epiphones and esps are sold there. you just gotta find the right place.

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
ak Gitaroo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #6

Ohh okay thanks man. Now I know.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
"putnamehere"
Jazz and Metal Enthusiast

Fernandes is the best out there my man....

I find Lumanog acoustics to be sucky.....then again they just might be low-end products that I have played.

And if you look hard enough, you can find stores that sell Fenders, Gibsons, Washburns, Schecters etc.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
"putnamehere" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
darkcontender

i'm pretty sure you can find many great brands there.. you just have to know which place to look. If you go to manila, then I'm pretty sure you can find one that's cheap that works well.
darkcontender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
elepunk

i was in PI in Decemeber and I found a couple of stores that had big name brands like fender and yamaha..i think it was in the area of the SM mega mall, not in the actual mall itself. Also In the SM near Lagro, I saw a couple of ovation guitars, i almost cried when i saw the price..It was lower than for how much you can buy it in the states, but considering shipping and the hassle, itd be better to buy in the states.
elepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
AwesomeOni

Hey, if you're looking from guitar stores in the Philippines, then you should ask a person who actually lives there... oh, wait... haha... that's me.

So, when you go to the Philippines, you should go to "Robinson's" near Taft Avenue, on Ermita street. It's a mall, and they have a Perfect Pitch store there... there are some pretty good guitars there, yeah, sure...

Then, you should try the Mall of Asia, they have at least two guitar stores there... one is J&B Music and the other is RJ guitars, although, I think RJ only sells the RJ brand... but, they're pretty good, nonetheless... you could also try Rockwell and the Alabang Town Center... but, I'm not sure if they have guitar stores there... although, I'm sure they do...

Anyway... so, a good guitar here will cost you about 50,000 to 80,000 pesos, which is about $100 to $200-ish... it's pretty good, but they don't accept dollars in most stores (no, duh...).

The Good brands that you can get here are Washburn, Epiphone, Yamaha... Kramer... kidding on the last one, no one knows what a Kramer is in Manila... I think... maybe... grr...
The good local brands you can get are... I seriously don't know, I never go for local guitars. Let me tell you one thing though, ROCKER guitars are the worst-- they sound like cans being banged together when you strum 'em and they break easily... and Fernando guitars are good too, but anything else that comes from them is bad... remember-- BAD.

Anyway... hope this helped... well it prolly did, after all I said.. haha...

Peace bro, safe travels.

Last edited by AwesomeOni : 08-23-2006 at 10:31 AM.
AwesomeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
SoundWeavers

hey guys, nice discussion about Philippine made guitars here.

I recently wrote about my latest experience scoring an acoustic gitar - I found one at a Lumanog store in Guagua Pampanga - 2 hour drive from Manila. For electric guitars, RJ Guitar Shop is located at major malls - they are cheap, and of course, quality is not as good as brands with top notch capital, QC and QA.

Anyhow, check out my short story on Lumanog acoustic guitars made in Pampanga.

PM me if you guys are headed to the Philippines.
SoundWeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #12
shut_up_you_***
GAS free for 1 year!

When I was over there last time I checked out some of the music stores. The ones I saw seemed to have a good stock of Yamahas. I managed to find one with a Fender US Precision, which was cool.

Good luck with the search.
shut_up_you_*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #13
The_RockerVI

i thought a decent guitar in the Philippines would be about 20,000 and above?
p.s you can't find a real Kramer in Manila
The_RockerVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
malalark
UG Newbie

Dude... I think they got it all a bit wrong here... A fernando is good but it wont go up to as much as p40,000... :p

a decent fernando would only cost around 15,000... anything above that is of EPIC quality... relatively... but as what peeps here say... buying local guitars is either a hit or a miss... there can be bad guitars.. but there sure are good quality guitars too... Just test them out... I do that a lot here in Cebu, Philippines... the store dudes are ok with it... I'm actually gonna buy a guitar (and wouldn't you know... it's a fernando) that's only p6,000 but it has a humbuck pick up and a floydrose bridge (not the original though).... but the quality is decent... It looks like a Mick Thompson Ibanez signature...

what guitars here go up to 40k?... hmmm... those are usually the legit guitars like a fender strat... a Godin electric with 1 EMG active pickup... we have Paul Reeds here too that costs Around p20,000... And Hamers that are of the same price... but still.. if you go for cheaper guitars... just test them out.. no harm in doing so

juuuust sharing a pinoy's thoughts
malalark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
1739nicole

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm going to Manila and want to get my husband a guitar as a suprise present. I know nothing about guitars, he's the one who musically skilled not me. Is there somewhere in Manila I can get either a really good quality/brand guitar for a reasonable price, or is there somewhere I can get one custom made?

Thanks for your heklp, any advice is much appreciated
1739nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #16
janssen17

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1739nicole
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm going to Manila and want to get my husband a guitar as a suprise present. I know nothing about guitars, he's the one who musically skilled not me. Is there somewhere in Manila I can get either a really good quality/brand guitar for a reasonable price, or is there somewhere I can get one custom made?

Thanks for your heklp, any advice is much appreciated

nicole,
If you will be comming here in the philippines you should call me. I'll be helping you look for better strores that sell better quality guitars here in the philippines.
I will be helping you voluntarily looking for your presents for your husband..
well, actualy SM mall of asia and even in Sm Sta mesa... even in pampanga... there are lots of quality guitars here in the Philippines. you should check 'em out...
janssen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
dannyalcatraz

2 years have passed...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #18
Captaincranky

Nah, only a year an 5 months....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Eh, what's 7 months in thread necromancy?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #20
Captaincranky

Surely, 7 months must be the gestation period of something. Although for the life of me, I can't figure out exactly what. Got it on Google. Bear species cover about that range. So try telling, "seven months is nothing", to a pregnant grizzly bear.....

I wish there were Filipino grizzly bears so I could keep this thread on topic.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-26-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: