Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
jpnyc

Why do metal shows run so late?

Why do so many metal shows today go so long? I skipped a show tonight that I bought a ticket for months ago because it ballooned to three opening acts and a headlinerómeaning that the headliner wonít be starting until 11:00 and the show wonít end until 12:30 or 1:30. This isnít the first time this has happened to meóand the last time they not only added a band at the last minute, but they rolled the start time back half an hour. I could understand this if it was drawing crowds, but most of the metal shows I go to arenít even half sold, in part because nobody wants to drive home that late. Is there some amazing business case for the main act not going on stage at 9:30 like they used to in the 90s? Is Axl Rose secretly managing metal tours now?
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
:-D
you're an idiot

because true metal obeys no rules, bedtimes included
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Neo Evil11
Banned

You are complaining that metal shows actually give you value for your money? better go to a 60 minute taylor swift concert for 400 dollars then.

Dream Theater play for like 2.5-3 hours. Shortest concert from them I went to had them playing 2 hours, but they had symphony X playing 1 hour before them, so i guess that made up for the missed time.

Last edited by Neo Evil11 : 08-08-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Redsectoreh
another red nightmare

Maybe you're just getting old.
Redsectoreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
MeTallIcA313
[metal band]### guy

I gotta drive out to pittsburgh to go to a show. I'd rather drive home late when there's barely any traffic. That being said I'm pretty nocturnal too.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:46 AM   #6
i_lovemetallica
Les, Les Vegetables

You do realise that when you buy tickets you can often check what time each act is meant to come on?

I do know some people who will buy tickets and deliberately miss the support act if they aren't fans.
I was raised on Winnie the Pooh. There's multiple vhs tapes somewhere in the world where I appear totally nude wearing only honey yellow bear ears and a red T-shirt singing the theme song to that show
i_lovemetallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
pbiggie
UG's Ground gym leader

I like the fact they start late. I finish work late so I can still manage to see bands play if I happen to be working that day.
Originally Posted by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
pbiggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:48 AM   #8
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Well when you've spent all day smoking tons of pot and having greasier hair than Kurt Cobain, it's perfect for a metal show being late.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:56 AM   #9
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
Why do so many metal shows today go so long? I skipped a show tonight that I bought a ticket for months ago because it ballooned to three opening acts and a headlinerómeaning that the headliner wonít be starting until 11:00 and the show wonít end until 12:30 or 1:30. This isnít the first time this has happened to meóand the last time they not only added a band at the last minute, but they rolled the start time back half an hour. I could understand this if it was drawing crowds, but most of the metal shows I go to arenít even half sold, in part because nobody wants to drive home that late. Is there some amazing business case for the main act not going on stage at 9:30 like they used to in the 90s? Is Axl Rose secretly managing metal tours now?

No, because there isn't a 3 hour gap between the last support act and the headliner.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
sickman411
Baby Joel is thing

These are actually more or less the normal times for shows where I'm from (which is Portugal, despite my current location)
Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
jakesmellspoo
UG Monkey

sounds like bad planning on the part of whoever organized the show.

i go to a lot of punk/hardcore shows and the (non-legal) house shows always run late because they're supposed to start at 7, but no one actually shows up until 8.

in terms of shows in legit venues, who cares tho? Riot Fest was one of the best shows i ever went to because i got to see at least a solid hour of at least 7 bands i love for ~$40.

it honestly sucks when you go to a great show and the whole crowd wants the headliner to play longer, but can't play past 11 because it's too close to a residential area and sound ordinance bullshit and the local cops have nothing better to do but issue outrageous tickets for that while stroking their evil boners.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
personally, i like butt
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #12
guitarxo
cat

I don't like shows that start/end late or go on forever for no reason. No matter how good it is I really don't wanna stand around for more than 2 hours and getting home late is a problem in terms of safety and public transport.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
jakesmellspoo
UG Monkey

i'm actually trying to figure out what i'm doing for the show i'm going to tonight.

probably won't end til 11, but i've got a 20 minute drive home and i have a provisional license and i'm not supposed to be on the road after 11. :/

i'd see if i could crash at a friend's house, but i have work tomorrow.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
personally, i like butt
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
Why do so many metal shows today go so long?

To weed out the pansies.

Bob Logan Custom Esquire
84' Fender 62' RI Stratocaster
Custom Slabtop Jazzmaster
ESP Viper

15' Vox AC15C1
83' Fender Rivera Concert Reverb
08' Peavey Valveking 212

Custom/Boutique Snobby Pedals
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: