Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #81
CoolDudeMorgasm

Haha, anyone have any news on a new album at all from QOTSA?
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
CoolDudeMorgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #82
Rhinosaur Bones

I get the feeling that if nobody knew Nick Oliveri had been replaced, then no one would be complaining about the lack of Nick Oliveri on Lullabies to Paralyze.
Rhinosaur Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #83
luke2206
UG's #1 Black man

hopefully there will be no new album! unless they get Dave Grohl and Nick back there no point! woooooooo! go dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe5765
Someone woke up on the wrong side of his mother this morning.

luke2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #84
ben_rulez
hates stupid username

ur a dickhead. sure dave and nick back would be tops but lullabies is awesome. u sir suck harder than a toothless prostitute. good day to you.
oh great man god, pray tell: how do I become as cold and emotionless as you?!
ben_rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #85
luke2206
UG's #1 Black man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_rulez
ur a dickhead. sure dave and nick back would be tops but lullabies is awesome. u sir suck harder than a toothless prostitute. good day to you.

dude thats harsh. no need to cry man! i dont hurl insults when people diss st anger. id apologise but..... well lullabies sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe5765
Someone woke up on the wrong side of his mother this morning.

luke2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #86
ben_rulez
hates stupid username

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2206
dude thats harsh. no need to cry man! i dont hurl insults when people diss st anger. id apologise but..... well lullabies sucks!

meh thats ur opinion.
i dont really hurl the insults when ppl diss st. anger either
but yeah dave should go back but i wanna hear foo fighters as well and nick doesnt matter that much. but yeah i love lullabies and hope they make something maybe like it again
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #87
Rhinosaur Bones

Who gives a flying **** about Dave Grohl! He was in the band for one album and two portions of a tour. He is hardly a staple in the band, and nobody ever planned on having him stay permanently, yet whiny assholes everywhere INSIST on coming down on current QotSA just because Dave isn't in the band.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #88
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinosaur Bones
I get the feeling that if nobody knew Nick Oliveri had been replaced, then no one would be complaining about the lack of Nick Oliveri on Lullabies to Paralyze.

Hmmm, you're probably right.

But I would still be complaining about the lack of his vocals.

And yes, Nick sings ...Millionaire

As well as Another Love Song and Quick and to the Pointless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
FrenchyFungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #89
Rhinosaur Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyfungus
But I would still be complaining about the lack of his vocals.

That's true, he did add his unique vocal abilities to the band. However, I don't think he did anything outrageously different in the bass department compared to his replacement.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #90
cadmium_blimp

I didn't really like Nick's vocals a lot. The only song I can stand his screaming on is ...Millionaire. Because of Nick, probably the easiest album to get into would be s/t or LtP.
cadmium_blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #91
hen
UG's Feedback *****

To sort out the confusion: Josh does the main singing. All the softer, melodic, and falcetta (sp?) vocals you hear are him. Nick Oliveri does all the growls and screaming vocals (ie. quick and to the pointless, millionaire). Lanegan does all the deep raspy singing (ie. Dead, Hanging Tree) etc.

Currently You Can't Quit Me Baby and Mexicola are my favourite songs. You Got A Killer Scene There Man has to be one of the most chill songs I've ever heard. It's so ****ing stoner. And what about I Never Came? It's such a beautiful song.

I'm a huge QOTSA fan...I own all the QOTSA albums now. I can't really pick out a favourite...they're definately all really amazing.

Anyone fans of Josh's other projects? Eagles of Death Metal, Desert Sessions, Kyuss? I have all 10 Dessert Sessions volumes, both EODM albums, Blues for the Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley. They're so ****ing amazing. The whole concept of Desert Sessions is so cool...the sound and everything.

OH! Who's got Over The Years and Through the Woods (DVD)? God damn that is a ****ing good DVD. I've watched at least 10 times now. The bootlegs are pretty sweet.
hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #92
Schizoid_Man
Cats foot, iron claw...

I love Queens of the Stone Age. I have Songs for the deaf and Lullabies to Parylize. I need to get Rated R.

Is there any news on a new album?
Schizoid_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #93
cadmium_blimp

Chris Goss is slated to produce. I've heard that the guy from DFA is going to play bass. Nelly Furtado contributing ukelele, vocals, and lyrics. I think the guy that told me the last one was just yankin' my chain, though.

EDIT: Hen, it's falsetto. Thought you just might want to know.
cadmium_blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:34 AM   #94
ben_rulez
hates stupid username

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen
OH! Who's got Over The Years and Through the Woods (DVD)? God damn that is a ****ing good DVD. I've watched at least 10 times now. The bootlegs are pretty sweet.

HELL YES I LOVE THAT DVD TO DEATH!!!!
Seriously that dvd kicks ass! if you dont hav it then get it!

also to the thing that went on before about dave, well i like wat joey castillo has done just as much, maybe even more, and i freakin love the current line up
Old 07-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #95
Rhinosaur Bones

I dig Nick's screaming, especially when it's put against Josh's vocals. Like check out Feel Good Hit of the Summer, the outro. You have Josh and a few other's singing, and then Nick screaming like a mad man. It is tres excellent.

Hen, I've got Peace, Love, Death Metal, Desert Sessions 9 & 10 and Kyuss' Wretch, Muchas Gracias, ...And the Circus Leaves Town and Blues for the Red Sun, which I just got on the weekend. Desert Sessions absolutely rules, but unfortunately the only other number I've seen is 7&8, for some ridiculous price. I don't know why it's not a more popular. Eagles of Death Metal is some good, simple rock & roll, but not something I listen to all the time, and I don't think I'll pick up their new album. Kyuss is a favourite of mine, one of the best metal/stoner bands around.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #96
Goon
tele on the belly

Location: Inbetween molecules of oxygen and carbon-dixode Adelaide, Australia
New QOTSA album being recorded mateys, you've read the news.

I've got so much to say... I'll post more later.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #97
MiniMusicMasta
UG Member

Location: England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe...err
qotsa are simply the weirdest but one of the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.headbanger

MiniMusicMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #98
-February-Star-
The Once And Future King

i have josh homme's water bottle, w00t
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
-February-Star- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:28 AM   #99
noodles_wazaman
No Frills.

qotsa has become the josh homme show. i don't think they would have made an album like lullabies if nick was still on board.

i also agree that his vocals are good, and i am surprised nobody mentioned lightning song or auto pilot. at big day out 2001 i only knew a couple of songs so i thought i'd check qotsa out. when they busted out lightning song i swear nick just made the place erupt.

as for the new album, i sense an even greater departure from the heavy hitting riffs of the earlier albums and something even more from left field than the poppy melodies of lullabies.
the better off you'll be.
noodles_wazaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #100
Rosdower

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, so allow me to make some things clear about vocals, instruments, and what-not throughout the history of QOTSA.

S/T - Josh did all of the instruments (with a little help from Alfredo Hernandez on drums). Josh also sang also the vocals, but 'Walkin' on the Sidewalks' is sung by Mark Lanegan live. The song 'Avon' was taken from Desert Session Vol. 3 and 'If Only' was taken from the Kyuss/QOTSA split cd, from the Gamma Ray sessions (Gamma Ray was the original name for QOTSA, but apparently there's a European death metal bad with the same name, so he changed it to Queens of the Stoneage [Kyuss producer and singer/guitarist from Masters of Reality, Chriss Goss, used to call the boys in Kyuss the Queens of the Stoneage]) For the latter portion of the S/T tour, Dave Catching (Earthlings?) was on lapsteel guitar and keyboards (for the first leg of the tour, they were a 3 piece with nick on bass and Alfredo on drums).

Rated R - Josh on guitar/vocals, Nick on Bass/vocals, Gene Trautman on drums, Mark Lanegan with some vocals. Nick sings - 'Auto Pilot' (Mark sings this live), 'Tension Head', 'Quick and to the Pointless'. Mark sings 'In the Fade'. Josh sings the rest. Rob Halfred does background vocals for 'Feel Good Hit of the Summer'. For the Rated R tour, Brendon McNichol was on lapsteel guitar, rhythm guitar, and keyboard. The song 'Monsters in the Parasol' was taken from Desert Sessions Vol. 4. 'Tension Head' was originally titled '13th Floor' and was written (to the best of my knowledge) by Nick's other band, Mondo Generator.

SFTD - Josh on guitar/vocals, Nick on Bass/vocals, Dave Ghrol on drums, Mark Lanegan with some vocals. Nick Sings - 'Millionaire', 'Six Shooters', 'Gonna Leave You', and 'Another Love Song'. Mark sings - 'Song for the Dead', 'Hangin' Tree', 'God', and a part in, 'Song for the Deaf'. The first drum part in 'Song for the Dead' was taken from a Black Flag song (I forget which one), and most of the drum lined for the album were already written by Gene Trautman, but (as far as I can remember) Gene broke his ankle before recording the album, Dave took over, Gene never rejoined the band, but instead became a drum teacher in L.A. However, he is the current touring drummer with Eagles of Death Metal. 'Millionaire' was taken from Desert Sessions Vol. 5, Hangin' Tree was taken from Desert Sessions Vol. 7. Troy van Luween was not in the recording session for SFTD, but joined the band for the tour to play lapsteel guitar, rhythm guitar, and keyboards. They also cover a Kinks song, 'Everybody's Gonna be Happy'

LTP - Josh on guitar/vocals, bass (most of the bass was written and performed by Josh. Other bassists on the album include Troy van Luween, Dan Druff [QOTSA guitar tech and promo tour bassist, and Alain Johannas [[Eleven]]]) Joey Costillo on Drums, Mark Lanegan with some vocals. Josh sings all of the songs except 'This Lullaby', sung by Mark. Special appearances include Billy Gibbons on guitar for 'Burn the Witch' and Chriss Goss, Sherley Manson, and Brody Dalle (Josh's fiancÚ and mother of their child, Camille) on background vocals for '... Killer Scene'. The song 'Medication' was originally written for Josh and Nicks other very short lived band, "Head Band" which included Josh, Nick, Dave Ghrol, Jordy White, and someone else (I forget :-/) 'Little Sister' was originally written during the SFTD days, but it never made the album (the demo is really weird, Dave's drums weren't all that hot and the song was its infancy [no vocals or anything]) 'In my Head' was taken from Desert Sessions Vol. 10. The instruments on this album switch up a little bit. For 'Burn the Witch' and 'Long Slow Goodbye' Josh plays bass and Alain plays guitar. For 'Little Sister' Troy plays bass. Another song was written for this album, the 13 minute-something epic, 'The Fun Machine took a **** and Died', but the song was lost, rerecorded (shortened) played live, then found. It will probably appear, in it entirety, on another Queens album. On the tour Natasha Schnider (Eleven) plays keyboards. On the vinyl, they rerecord a song called 'Infinity' off of a soundtrack the band did a few years back called 'Heavy Metal 2000', 'Like a Drug' taken from Desert Sessions Vol. 6 (with Troy on lead guitar), and a cover of ZZ Top's 'Precious and Grace' with Billy Gibbons on guitar.

I hope that clears some things up. If you want to know about the equipment, just ask :-).
Rosdower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: