Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2003, 05:45 AM   #21
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by SV300
Goodluck wiring passive and active hums together, they mix like oil and water. Id go for the duncan distortion for metallica like tones.

Kahler trems, some people hate em, some love em, but the floyd killed it in the 80s. I havnt played one, but id prefer the floyd.

allright, down to three or so setup ideas... yea i forgot emg81 is active....
Old 04-18-2003, 05:48 AM   #22
SV300
Ex-Floydoylogist Mod

By the way, i gotta give you a thumbs up for this. I really cant help you with a lot, but i can tell you that ify ou want to sand it down to more of a AANJ (e.g. Ibanez RG) shape, id plug the existing holes with dowel first, and then sand it down to shape.

For the neck scalloping, when youre filing away, check you work constantly. Get a big file, i did my scalloping with a 5mm file, and it was ridiculously hard to shape at the 19th fret (which is why i stopped there!)

If youre going for a trem system, id go for either a full locking system (e.g. floyd), or if not, get a graphite nut along with locking tuners. Ive heard that LSR nuts dont exactly work too well, so id stay away from them.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:52 AM   #23
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by SV300
By the way, i gotta give you a thumbs up for this. I really cant help you with a lot, but i can tell you that ify ou want to sand it down to more of a AANJ (e.g. Ibanez RG) shape, id plug the existing holes with dowel first, and then sand it down to shape.

For the neck scalloping, when youre filing away, check you work constantly. Get a big file, i did my scalloping with a 5mm file, and it was ridiculously hard to shape at the 19th fret (which is why i stopped there!)

If youre going for a trem system, id go for either a full locking system (e.g. floyd), or if not, get a graphite nut along with locking tuners. Ive heard that LSR nuts dont exactly work too well, so id stay away from them.

yea i'm gonna use a 1/4" file.

do you think its worth changing fret wire to jumbo from normal strat?

also the fingerboard is quite thin, so i'm concerned if i file too much, i'll go right down to the maple of whatever it is
Old 04-18-2003, 05:57 AM   #24
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

^^
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2003, 06:19 AM   #25
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

allright after several designs, i've settled on what i want on headstock - basically ibanez with sharper angles.

i've put template over current headstock, its gonna be like that, except maybe a few minor alterations...

i'm putting in stuff into holes as SV300 suggested, anything else i need to do?

i'mk planning to use saw / sandpaper
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2003, 07:10 AM   #26
SV300
Ex-Floydoylogist Mod

a 1/4" file should do you fine, but if possible, get one thats a hair bigger for fret 19.

For the fretwire, play lots of guitars with differnet sized frets. I personally dislike the jumbo frets on my RG, theyre a hair too big. Ive played JEMs with 6105s, and i love them - when i do a refret job, ill be going for 6105s.

For the scalloping, dont take it down too deep. I managed to scallop into one of the side dots, not good. dont take the scalloping too deep, and its an easy job to pull off. Generally, take it down by around 3mm (0.12"). Your fretboards a standard thickness.

Id also plan yoru tremelo system thoroughly, before you hack away at your headstock. If you want a full locking system, youre gonna need some of the wood there. Ive got a floyd retrofitting manual handy, so if you need some information about original floyds, give me a PM.

Cant really help you with any of the mods besides soem basic bridge retrofitting and the scalloping here, since im not ready to butcher my own axe too much, seeing as i only have one, and got no backup. Ive also done some rolled fretboard edges like the MIA fenders on mine, its a great mod, i recommend it highly.

btw, i couldnt agree with you more about your statements in teh first post of this thread. Many talk about pickup changes to show off, but few actually do anything.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:22 AM   #27
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

^^ allright just got soldiering iron...

you're right i'll wait with headstock..

and yea, besides my acoustic, this is my only axe
Old 04-18-2003, 07:47 AM   #28
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

using the soldiering iron was pips - just hold it at joint till wire comes off. so yea rewiring is only gonna take knowing where each wire goes

another job added: sand down electronics cavities, as you can see they are now aweful
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2003, 07:59 AM   #29
red_pringle
UG baby girl

So, have you ever actually done this before. Totally Rebuilt a guitar?

Seems like a huge challenge but im sure you'll do it

I hope you come out with the guitar of your dreams StreamLine

cya
Old 04-18-2003, 02:43 PM   #30
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by red_pringle
So, have you ever actually done this before. Totally Rebuilt a guitar?

Seems like a huge challenge but im sure you'll do it

I hope you come out with the guitar of your dreams StreamLine

cya

to answer your question, no i've never done anything like this.

thats why its going to work :

and thanks to everybody for your support so far

allright today i was adressing the issue of a extremely bad finished guitar cavities (see previous picture).

i've sat with a sandpaper thing for something like 2 hours and then i had to add in wood filler to level out surface.

then i had a brilliant idea (i think). i'll getn hold of some extremely shiny silver metallic paint, and with that i'll paint the wood cavities. this combined with a overall worn black matt finish and a see thriugh acrylic pickguard with some springs inside, should look killer. refer to my 'idea' post (anyone notice anything strange about that picture? AKaSinner is NOT allowed to post the answer coz i've told him what it is earlier )

note to anyone using wood filler in the future - dont get it on your skin. it dries it to the point of cracking (it is the darker brown stuff btw in photo in this post)

btw i've decided what i'm write on headstock and call this guitar:

StreamLine Custom (or StreamLine 1 )
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2003, 03:27 PM   #31
punkyfish69
UG Newbie

ooh i know wots wrong with the pic. its backwards
Old 04-18-2003, 03:48 PM   #32
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by punkyfish69
ooh i know wots wrong with the pic. its backwards

no

EDIT: ok this question was a bad idea, so i'll post the answer:
the guitar in image is a leftie - i reversed it to be clearer

Last edited by StreamLine : 04-18-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:48 AM   #33
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

allright today was arguably the most important day of the project - today i was buying the parts.

before coming down to the shop, i had my heart set on a dimarzio evolution h-s-h setup with ibanez pro-lo edge and a locking nut.

after some inspection, the guy there said it would be extremely hard to fit a locking nut as my neck isnt thick enough at that point, so i asked him if locking tuners would do the job... he said yea no prob...

however he then said the value of guitar will only go up by value of parts, so its not worth it.... i left the shop very upset. after lunch, my friend cheered me up and i thought that i have done so much allready, that there is no way back. i mean just painting and rewiring the guitar with the old crap is also very time consuming... so i went into the shop all determined, as i have allready done a whole thread, did so much sanding that i couldnt just let it come crashing down.

on the way i stopped to play a JEM7V with evolutions, and damn the sound it gives and the body - it rocks. too bad it costs £1800

so i explained everything to this guy and he agreed with me and then i chose all the stuff.

here's stuff i bought (wont be allready till 10 or so days):

-2nd hand (good as new) schaller locking tuners - (originally £70) £35

-dimarzio evolution neck and bridge humbuckers (decided having single coil as well was too expensive) - £160

-WDFRB 13... (cant read his writing) floyd rose bridge - £132 (ibanez dont sell their systems, he said this was great value for money, only ones better cost 80 quid more; yet difference is minor)

-3 way switch - £12 (must say a bit suspicios...)

-new handmade nut - £10

=£348.90 - yup thats pretty much all of it gone then...

i'm looking to buy some more stuff like locking strap buttons, but that'll be later...

so yea, i allready spent 3 times as much on parts as i spend on my guitar... that tells you something, both about crapinnes, and about me being lucky to find one with a great neck...

and yea new job added: polishing/sanding frets

also picked up two cd's = meshuggah-chaosphere, vai-alien love secrets ...

bad news is 6 months saving is now gone, and there is definetely no going back now...

only thing i have now is the tuners, since rest needs to be ordered...(see pic)

another thing, he seemed quite stunned that a 15 year old knew what he was talking about, ie not "i want a shiny new guitar knob to make my guitar play like tom delonge's". so my advice to you guys, is find out lots about what are looking for - that way easier for you, easier for the dealer, more efficient and you wont make a complete fool out of yourself

thoughts/comments on my chosen setup?
Attached Images

Last edited by StreamLine : 04-19-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:53 AM   #34
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

can a piece of paper be worth £300?

yes it can
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #35
red_pringle
UG baby girl

hmm

oooh snazzy... how do you afford all this stuff. 15 years old... are involved in some kind illegal act StreamLine?

When you've finished (if) do you have any estimate for its worth?
Old 04-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #36
StreamLine
BareKnuckle Freak

^^ nope, not spending any money for like 6 months and asking for cash for b-day was the way i took...

value-wise, wont be worth very much, coz it will be somewhat of a novelty guitar - unknown maker, weird configuration, etc... only as much as the individual parts... i guess around £300-£400, but i'm not swapping this for anything less than a santana 3, thats how much this guitar will mean to me
Old 04-19-2003, 11:48 AM   #37
korn_maniac
UG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StreamLine
^^ nope, not spending any money for like 6 months and asking for cash for b-day was the way i took...

My birthday is coming up soon, I wanna do the same thing (thats money saving, not a custom, i might leave that til later)

Your project is going really well! I can't wait to see the finished product! When "Streamline Customs" are selling in the shops, I'll have to give one a go!
Old 04-19-2003, 12:42 PM   #38
TheNamelessOne
UG Board King

Quote:
[COLOR=indigo]

-WDFRB 13... (cant read his writing) floyd rose bridge - £132 (ibanez dont sell their systems, he said this was great value for money, only ones better cost 80 quid more; yet difference is minor)

According to their website they do

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html
The marshall 30 dfx is the best fücking amp ever!
Old 04-19-2003, 12:47 PM   #39
TheNamelessOne
UG Board King

Quote:
can a piece of paper be worth £300?

A piece of paper can ba worth £1000 lol

The marshall 30 dfx is the best fücking amp ever!
Old 04-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #40
red_pringle
UG baby girl

Talking wedgie

thenamelessone, i think you'll find that's australian dollers. nt pounds.

Rate This Thread: