Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
forgop

Darn this site anyway

I was all set to get an Epi LP only to come across details of the Agile guitars. Now I'm most likely going to end up with one of those. I sure would like one of those AL-3500's.

Edit: she knew I wasn't wearing a condom.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

Cool.

Member of the Orange Revolution club!
kurdtkobaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

hmmm i would upgrade the amp as well. if your in the mood for classic tones then vox valvetronix
azn_guitarist25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
forgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_guitarist25
hmmm i would upgrade the amp as well. if your in the mood for classic tones then vox valvetronix

That's the plan next, but as I don't have an electric at all, the amp is at least serviceable until I get ready to buy a new one. I've also been advised to check out the Traynor YCV50 amps as well. What would be a good Vox to consider?

How would an Agile AL3000 w/ Gibson '57 PAF's do with either of the amps above if I'm trying to emulate the Slash sound as much as possible? I'd love to get my hands on one of the AL-3500's if I can.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
J.MitMetallica
Ex guitar forum slogger

The Vox AD-50VT or lower, thats 50 watt, I have it, and its got (albeit not great) Celestions in it. And it;'s very versatile, great for classic tones, rock, hard rock, and ok for metal...I'd get it if I were you
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
J.MitMetallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

about the slash sound you might wanna use seymour duncan alnico II pro's since thats what Slash used. and yeh just try both of the amps out too see which one will suit you more
Old 08-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
forgop

So, this would be the P/U I'd want to get?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEYMOUR-DUNCAN-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or I would need to get the APH-1N and a APH-1B separately to constitute a "set"? Also, are P/U something that are easy to replace?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

yeh. and yeh APH-1N (N for Neck) and APH-1B (B for bridge) would make up a set. and yeh there pretty easy to change as long as you can follow simple diagrams then your pretty much good to go. though it may require a bit of electrical work and if you are scared then take it to a pro to get it done for you
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
forgop

I wonder how much it would cost for someone at a guitar shop to install them.

You don't happen to know anything about the Agile's, do you?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

i know a bit but there are more users on here that know more about them then me
Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
forgop

I'm just trying to decide at what point there's little upgrade from one model to the next, figuring if I got one for a lower cost to spend the extra money on the alnico II pro's. I was all set to get a 3000 with the '57's, but if I'm going to get different P/U, I don't know why I'd get one that has already been upgraded.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #12
Crunchmeister
UG Monkey

AL-3000 and 3500 are excellent guitars for the money. They'll give you much more of a Les Paul sound than an Epiphone, since Agile are actually built a lot closer to Gibson specs than Epiphone are.

Back when I first got it, I took my AL-3000 to our local Gibosn dealer under the premise of wanting to fit it for a case (which I did). But I really wanted to test it out compared to new Epiphones. It sounded and felt better than any Epiphone on the rack, and was about on par with a Epi Elitist in terms of feel and how solid the tone was. Considering the Elitist cost $1300 Cdn (plus tax) and my AL-3000 cost me just just under $600 Cdn total after shipping and duties, I think this guitar was well worth it. Almost 2 years later, it's still my favorite guitar.

Personally, I think if you want the extra brightness of the maple top, the 3500 is worthwhile getting, as it's about as close as you can get to the Gibson construction without actually buying a Gibson. I personally went for the all-mahogany black AL-3000 because I already had the mahogany / maple combination in my other guitars and wanted something different.

If the maple top doesn't matter, then you're probably better off saving some money by getting a 3000 model and replacing the pickups.

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor

Last edited by Crunchmeister : 08-24-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
forgop

I wonder what the story is as to why they're not offering the 3500 on the web site any more. I found a 3500 w/ the Seymour P/U's that they're willing to go down to $700 (no case). If I'm wanting the Slash tone, will the upgraded Seymour P/U's they offered be fairly close? This is a beautiful guitar.

I tried out an Epi LP std yesterday for the first time and played back to back with a real Gibson, I (to my untrained ears) couldn't justify spending 3x the money to get the Gibson.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Crunchmeister
UG Monkey

The 3500s are out of stock.

And $700 is way too much for an Agile even with Duncans. Rondo had 3500 that came with Duncans and they sold brand new for $679, I believe. I know they were under $700 new, so someone willing to 'go down' to $700 is really ripping you off.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
forgop

They're selling it as "new" and hence, I obviously wasn't going to give more than they paid for it.

I did just get an email from Rondo saying they're going to be getting a similiar model around Christmas. I just don't want to wait that long though as I don't have an electric yet. I may just see what happens doing some want to buy posts and then finding those who say they have them and asking if they're interested in selling theirs. You never know...

Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
Crunchmeister
UG Monkey

Get a 3000 and install Duncans yourself. It will be cheaper and you won't have to wait.

And no one can sell an Agile NEW other than Rondo, since they're the only Agile dealer in the US. Agile is the Rondo store brand. They are the designers and importers.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
forgop

Does this seem like a good deal in the sense I could replace the '57's with the Alnico Pro II's and get a little something out of the 57's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Agile-AL3000-fl...1QQcmdZViewItem

(edit)Wow...looks like I'd be able to sell the 57's on ebay to get the Alnico's for an even swap.

Last edited by forgop : 08-24-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #18
onemanarmy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister
AL-3000 and 3500 are excellent guitars for the money. They'll give you much more of a Les Paul sound than an Epiphone, since Agile are actually built a lot closer to Gibson specs than Epiphone are.

Back when I first got it, I took my AL-3000 to our local Gibosn dealer under the premise of wanting to fit it for a case (which I did). But I really wanted to test it out compared to new Epiphones. It sounded and felt better than any Epiphone on the rack, and was about on par with a Epi Elitist in terms of feel and how solid the tone was. Considering the Elitist cost $1300 Cdn (plus tax) and my AL-3000 cost me just just under $600 Cdn total after shipping and duties, I think this guitar was well worth it. Almost 2 years later, it's still my favorite guitar.

Personally, I think if you want the extra brightness of the maple top, the 3500 is worthwhile getting, as it's about as close as you can get to the Gibson construction without actually buying a Gibson. I personally went for the all-mahogany black AL-3000 because I already had the mahogany / maple combination in my other guitars and wanted something different.

If the maple top doesn't matter, then you're probably better off saving some money by getting a 3000 model and replacing the pickups.

Umm, iF I'm not mistaken, Rondo CAN'T ship to Canada!!! So this begs the question, HOW THE **** DID YOU GET AN AGILE IN CANADA!! Threadstarter, if you don't mind buying online without trying the guitar, and live in the lower 48 States, they you might want to try Agile. Any other senario, and don't bother cause it's not worth the hassle.
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
onemanarmy9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: