Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
hmmm_de_hum

Need help with descision.......

Ok im after a 7 string for around xmas time, as part of my GCSE grades reward, and xmas present combined. So i was looking at either the:
Schecter damien 7: 230
Ibanez RG 7321: 240-ish
Schecter hellraiser 7: 350

i was looking at the hellraiser, but it was a little bit more expensive than the others but i i work my arse off i should be able to get some money towards it.
I plan to play pretty much everything with the 7 string, so it has to be really versatile......from dream theater to light finger picked stuff really, i dont really want to spend extra money on upgrades etc.
Erm i shall hopefully be using it through a peavey 6505 or 5150 combo so the active emg's wont be too much of a problem on the hellraiser, oh and im not really after a tremelo, unless its an extremely good one (i.e a trem that i wont have to replace)

Oh yea this will be my first 7 string but i am quite used to playing thicker necks and such, im mainly just after people's advice on the quality of each guitar and whether or not its worth it.

I think ive covered everything,
Thanks in advance

Halo Octavia 8 string (WH)
Halo Octavia 8 string (BWN)
Ibanez S7320 7 string
Tenayo Acoustic 7 string
+ Rack with pretty lights
hmmm_de_hum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

Ibanez RG7321 with pickup change to suit the music since the hellraiser has the EMG i wont know how good those will be for Dream Theater stuff. you could look at the C7 Blackjack which i would say would be more wiser to buy than the Hellraiser C7
azn_guitarist25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
danastasi
UG's Metal Maniac!

Hey,

I would most likely suggest the ibanez. I have seen one with a fixed bridge, so a trem shouldn't be a problem for you. Ibanez are a fantastic guitar company that use quality products and build fantastic guitars. I have an ibanez and its fantastic. Nothing goes wrong with it and its sweet to play.

If you were going for a schecter, I would definitely say go for the hellraiser. It is a much better guitar IMO.

So thats only my opinion, but I would definitely go the ibanez. You could always do a pup swap if you wanted. But the last thing i'll say to you - have you tried any of them out??? Honestly - if you can definitely try them. Sometimes a guitar will feel like **** in your hands wheras someone else may think its the best guitar ever produced.

Good luck with it,

Dan

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
danastasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
p2fyre
UG Freak

I'd say go for the Hellraiser.. I love Schecters. They're really high quality and excellent value for money.

The Ibanez is good but doesn't come with as good pickups and won't have the build quality of the Schecter.
p2fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
hmmm_de_hum

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_guitarist25
Ibanez RG7321 with pickup change to suit the music since the hellraiser has the EMG i wont know how good those will be for Dream Theater stuff. you could look at the C7 Blackjack which i would say would be more wiser to buy than the Hellraiser C7

i had a feeling you would be the first to post.......

But yea i was having a look at the Blackjack, it seemed pretty nice but it was a little bit too expensive for me really, im extremely tempted for the hellraiser, purely because i love schecter necks, the see through black cherry colour........but i have no idea what the emg 707's sound like clean, if they're anything like 81's then im a little put off.

Danastasi - yea i got a chance to play the ibanez, to me it was just like an average guitar, nothing special about it, nothing terrible about it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2fyre
I'd say go for the Hellraiser.. I love Schecters. They're really high quality and excellent value for money.

The Ibanez is good but doesn't come with as good pickups and won't have the build quality of the Schecter.

yea im very tempted for the hellraiser, all im trying to do is get an understanding of what it would sound like really for i want to play.

Ibanez S7320 7 string
Tenayo Acoustic 7 string
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

well guess you gotta try it out in the store really to get a feel of all the goods and bads of the guitar
Old 08-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
hmmm_de_hum

yea, the main problem being that im very limited in way of schecter dealers around where i am......i could take a trip to london and find some but i havent got the time atm. From the schecter C-1 classic i did briefly play i was really impressed with the general build and feel of it, but im not sure if it extends through their whole series.

Ibanez S7320 7 string
Tenayo Acoustic 7 string
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
WhenAllIsLost2

heres an idea for you. this is what im doing for my next guitar, which will be a 7 string. go to www.warmoth.com and buy all of the parts a guitar and build your own. evey guitarist wants a custom guitar. warmoth is your chance to make a guitar that is ONE OF A KIND. there are a few companies that do make 7 strings but none of them have that many choices. from warmoth you can make EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GUITAR, THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO BE.
WhenAllIsLost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenAllIsLost2
heres an idea for you. this is what im doing for my next guitar, which will be a 7 string. go to www.warmoth.com and buy all of the parts a guitar and build your own. evey guitarist wants a custom guitar. warmoth is your chance to make a guitar that is ONE OF A KIND. there are a few companies that do make 7 strings but none of them have that many choices. from warmoth you can make EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GUITAR, THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO BE.

not really your limited on body shape. also neck joints as well but besides that theyre very good for sure
Old 08-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
hmmm_de_hum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenAllIsLost2

do warmoth even ship to UK???

besides im not really after a custom guitar at the time anyway.......

Ibanez S7320 7 string
Tenayo Acoustic 7 string
Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #11
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_de_hum
do warmoth even ship to UK???

besides im not really after a custom guitar at the time anyway.......

yeh they do. i think they ship world wide. anyway if i were you i would look for a shop that sells the guitar your looking for and yeh even if its far just catch a bus there or something like that but yeh you gotta give it a good feel to decide if you like it
Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Crunchmeister
UG Monkey

I would normally suggest Ibanez, every RG7321 I've seen to date has serious intonation issues on the low strings unless you use very ligh gauge strings. IMO, that defeats the purpose of an extended scale 7-string, where you want thicker strings for the lower notes.

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
danastasi
UG's Metal Maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_de_hum
Danastasi - yea i got a chance to play the ibanez, to me it was just like an average guitar, nothing special about it, nothing terrible about it......

yea im very tempted for the hellraiser, all im trying to do is get an understanding of what it would sound like really for i want to play.

Well there you go mate! You just gave me your answer.

If you don't like the ibanez - DON"T go with it. If you'd rather have the hellraiser - GO with it! Honestly for putting a bit extra to it - it will mean soooo much more!

You will be disapointed if you go with a guitar that you dont really want..... Just save up and go the hellraiser man! You know you want to

Dan

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
danastasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
hmmm_de_hum

yea thanks everyone , im gonna go with the hellraiser......ill just buy a chorus pedal to make the cleans from the EMG's nicer

Ibanez S7320 7 string
Tenayo Acoustic 7 string

Rate This Thread: