Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #3321
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

The John Taylor clip ain't bad, it's miles superior to the Della Vega stuff.

On the other hand, I'm still hearing a bit of slop around the edges and I would LOVE to hear it without the ****ing MIDI playing over the guitar part. >.<

(and clean tone would be nice as well, like this one http://community.guinnessworldrecor...93243/7691.html )
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #3322
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Oli Herbert should be on this list. He plays 16 nps alternate picking in the song hold on, which is at 125 bpm and they are 32nd notes!!!!!!

-Emil Werstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

brandon2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #3323
Tomas_slash

Dude what about Chris Broderick? I bet he's the fastest of them all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ...be_gdata_player
Tomas_slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 AM   #3324
hr113

Possibly a slight bump for Jeff Loomis, since Psalm of Lydia calculations presented by Hammer force didnt suffice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerForce
According to the tab anyways those sweeps are 13.3 nps (48 notes per bar in 6/4 timing i assume to be the same as 32nds at 4/4) other than that the fastest bit in the main solo there is apparently 1 time where he plays 13 notes/beat (once which is 21.6 nps alt picked) twice in a row 11 notes/beat (18.3 nps alt picked).

x - BPM
y- notes per beat

x*y/60

Enemies of Reality solo, according to GP5 tab on this site Jeff does a triplet. few 5's and then a single burst of 11's at a speed of 134 BPM (4/4)

134*11/60=24.566666666666667nps

then there's some bends, some some tapping yada yada. And one more burst of 13's (3 string sweep/legato) at the same 134BPM speed

134*13/60=29.03nps

legit?

tab sounds correct

http://imageshack.us/g/718/jeffloomisnps2eor.png/

two screenshots of the parts i am talking about

^ Chris is good, very good, but his betcha cant play this entries arent very fast
and pay taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.

Last edited by hr113 : 07-11-2011 at 05:06 AM.
hr113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #3325
shredfan
UG Member

As a rule of thumb, all tabs on this site are wrong. Especially tabs which include fast parts. IMO, the only way to find out how fast someone is playing is by listening to the recording itself.
shredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #3326
Freepower

What do you think most transcribers are doing? Besides, lots of factors influence perceived speed - I actually ran an objective test a few years back and people are pretty bad at hearing what speed a perfectly clean MIDI track is. Never mind a guitar solo drenched in delay in the middle of the mix.

Not that the list is anywhere near perfect, ofco.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #3327
shredfan
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower

What do you think most transcribers are doing? Besides, lots of factors influence perceived speed - I actually ran an objective test a few years back and people are pretty bad at hearing what speed a perfectly clean MIDI track is. Never mind a guitar solo drenched in delay in the middle of the mix.

Not that the list is anywhere near perfect, ofco.

Lol, I should have said 'by listening to the recording and knowing what you're doing.'

I don't mean just listening and saying 'I reckon that's 21nps.' I mean slowing down the track + getting 1nps segments and counting the notes/ working out the tempo and how many notes are played per beat. I used to post here a few years ago back when Willjay was on the scene, so I know the drill.

In all seriousness though, I have almost never seen a flawless tab on this site for the likes of Dream Theater, Gilbert, etc. Most of them are substantially wrong. If you know of any exceptions, please do tell.

Last edited by shredfan : 08-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.
shredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #3328
Freepower

^ I don't learn shred songs, so I don't see many advanced tabs. There are good transcriptions out there and some of the ones from this list come from professional transcriptions. Some are amateur. Some are from the players own GP/PT files.

I don't have excellent ears and I hate listening through slowdowners. I compile and rank, and I apply a moderate amount of quality control. The main reason for this list is to stop a different thread every week with even worse uneducated responses.

I will vouch for a few of the very fastest ones though - Derryl Gable and Francesco's come from their own practice files or from MIDI in from the guitar, and the Shawn Lane one I did personally, as I was very familiar with the lick in question and felt pretty confident about timing it roughly.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #3329
mrbabo91

Dave murray from iron maidenn plays 20 notes per second during the sign of the cross solo. Its tapping though

mrbabo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #3330
iamafriend1

I don't have a clue what techniques my friend Andy is using on his songs, all I know is that most guitarists give him props... Maybe someone can have a listen and enlighten me
http://www.reverbnation.com/andysartori.

Aside from trying to promote my friend I have very little experience or knowledge to share in the field of metal mayhem please do not mock me or call me a troll or anything else Iwill not be spamming anything but I can try to answer questions about andy
iamafriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #3331
I_Love_Guitar
Shred Fanatic

So the John Taylor clip is good enough for the guiness book of world records, but not for the bedroom wanksteens running the shred forum? Haha, you guys need to get out more.

I think the whole guitar speed competition is lame to begin with, but to actually take the time to make this list and leave off the guy with the world record because you "hear some slop around the edges" is laughable. I'd say it's about as clean as you'll get anyone picking 40 NPS.

But then again, it is possible that I haven't masterbated to enough Shawn Lane records to have reached your level of shred enlightenment. (Nothing against Shawn, he was the man.)
Member #1 of the Jason Becker Fan Club
I_Love_Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #3332
Freepower

Quote:
So the John Taylor clip is good enough for the guiness book of world records, but not for the bedroom wanksteens running the shred forum? Haha, you guys need to get out more.

I think the whole guitar speed competition is lame to begin with, but to actually take the time to make this list and leave off the guy with the world record because you "hear some slop around the edges" is laughable. I'd say it's about as clean as you'll get anyone picking 40 NPS.

Sorry, who?

*some googling later*

Yeah, I don't think he's cleanly hitting all those notes - the midi in the background is very deceiving. I don't know if you know, but Guinness have an awful track record with this stuff, I'll take my ears over Guinesss any day. :P

Don't get me wrong, John has sick chops, and he's a much better picker than Tiago... but he's not hitting that all cleanly at 600bpm. If there wasn't a midi background, or he used less ridiculous amounts of gain I'd be much less wary of including it.

I can hear more than slop round the edges, I can hear mistakes at like, 300, 330.

And finally, this list doesn't include people just trying to break speed records. That's a horrible race to the bottom where people just try to play the easiest things to spazz pick.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #3333
iamafriend1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamafriend1
I don't have a clue what techniques my friend Andy is using on his songs, all I know is that most guitarists give him props... Maybe someone can have a listen and enlighten me
http://www.reverbnation.com/andysartori.

Aside from trying to promote my friend I have very little experience or knowledge to share in the field of metal mayhem please do not mock me or call me a troll or anything else Iwill not be spamming anything but I can try to answer questions about andy

Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation: Good tunes, evil heart kicks ass!!!!! Nov 17
PROMIZE™
PROMIZE™: Amazing music here! Good luck to you! Nov 12
Hot Rod
Hot Rod: Faboulus guitarist! Best wishes! Nov 11
Sara Haller
Sara Haller: Hey Andy, i am enjoying your music Thank you Hope to hear from you soon Nov 08
signed to Full Force Entertainment a sub division of Red Distribution part of Sony
http://www.fullforceent.net/management.htm
iamafriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #3334
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamafriend1
Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation: Good tunes, evil heart kicks ass!!!!! Nov 17
PROMIZE™
PROMIZE™: Amazing music here! Good luck to you! Nov 12
Hot Rod
Hot Rod: Faboulus guitarist! Best wishes! Nov 11
Sara Haller
Sara Haller: Hey Andy, i am enjoying your music Thank you Hope to hear from you soon Nov 08

*reported*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #3335
jrcsgtpeppers

glenn proudfoot sweeps incredibly fast

i still think buckethead is the best shredder
but tosin is the best guitarist in terms of skill and technique
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #3336
jrcsgtpeppers

anyone own the guitar world magazine with tony iomi on the cover?
its got the soothsayer tab

i just uploaded a guitar pro with a few measures from bar 106

soothsayer
q = 74
in measure 150 he plays a run of
10 32nd notes grouped in 10's
then 33 32nd notes grouped in 11's

how many notes per second is that?

all i know is buckethead is fast

so if we have 43 notes at 74 bpm
thats 60/74 x 43 = 34.86 nps? am i doing that right?

Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers : 02-13-2012 at 03:22 AM.
jrcsgtpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #3337
eddievanzant

though this is, yet again, not an acceptable performance for an official world record, here is tiago della vega playing at 750bpm (50 notes per second).

and just for the sake of humor here is some guy playing waaaaay worse lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xG...feature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
anyone own the guitar world magazine with tony iomi on the cover?
its got the soothsayer tab

i just uploaded a guitar pro with a few measures from bar 106

soothsayer
q = 74
in measure 150 he plays a run of
10 32nd notes grouped in 10's
then 33 32nd notes grouped in 11's

how many notes per second is that?

all i know is buckethead is fast

so if we have 43 notes at 74 bpm
thats 60/74 x 43 = 34.86 nps? am i doing that right?

43 notes within four beats? 74/4=18.5 x 43 = 795.5/60 = 13.2583 notes per second

Last edited by eddievanzant : 03-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.
eddievanzant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #3338
killerbunny11
Banned

I don't see Buckethead on the list.
killerbunny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #3339
Freepower

Didn't look very hard.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #3340