Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #2881
the memory
Hoots Man!

Location: A galaxy far, far away (Scotland to the people that live here)
I'd reckon that was a pre-amp issue. Last time I used mine it was beginning to lose some gain but I've not had money to take it to a shop for a check up.

Edit: Unless someone maybe biased his really badly?

www.facebook.com/theashenverdict
www.theashenverdict.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/lostwoodsrecords
the memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #2882
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by the memory
I'd reckon that was a pre-amp issue. Last time I used mine it was beginning to lose some gain but I've not had money to take it to a shop for a check up.

Edit: Unless someone maybe biased his really badly?

Yeah I can do the checks/biasing I just didn't have my tools handy I was thinking one of them might have come loose during shipping hopefully after a reseat it'll work.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #2883
turn_the_page93

I just had my 6505+ head fall out of my car, everythings fine except the lead channel, it doesn't push any volume, but you can hear the guitar very quiet. Does anybody know what could be wrong with it?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #2884
George I.

i'd check all the preamp tubes first.
then, spray some contact cleaner/deoxit into each of the effects send/return/preamp out jacks one at a time. after you spray each input, put a guitar cable in there and remove it/insert it a bunch of times. sometimes those jacks need cleaning.

after that, if you're comfy opening your amp (unplugged from the wall of course!), there are a few ribbon connectors in there that you'll need to check to see if they're all connected.

http://www.fjamods.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2

a bunch of info in that thread, directly from Jerry who is pretty much the 5150 guru.
theres also a bunch of threads that you can read through to find stuff out about your amp.

you could also go to the peavey forum:

http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Enzo is also a 5150 guru
George I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #2885
TheRiffGod
Somewhere up with Budda?

has anybody gone about getting a blank PCB for this beauty of an amp?

I could really do with one, as I am intent on making a 'clone' of it, although I am planning on making some variations to certain bits.

The closest I can find are Soldano's SLO100 and Krank's Krankenstein PCBs. The SLO100 is a very similar flavour of amp to the 6505/5150 but the Peavey model has a much more preferable sound, IMO.

Any help or advice would be REALLY appreciated!

(as an added incentive for anybody who helps me, I will record some sound clips of my 'clone' for UG's users' pleasure )

Also, just as a stray query, 5751 or ECC803 for V1 (and/or PI), for slightly lower gain, better clarity and maintained tight mids and bass?

thanks guys

SD Nazgul (7) x 1
DiMarzio Crunch Lab (6/7) x 1
TAD 6L6GC-STR x 4
A small tube practice amp for metal
1x12 or 2x12 enclosure
12" speakers
Any spare components

I want your broken/unwanted gear, UK only. Message me!
TheRiffGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #2886
TheRiffGod
Somewhere up with Budda?

I just took the preamp cover/plate thingy off the back of my 6505. It has Ruby power tubes, and EH 12AX7EH preamp valves. I noticed that V4 and V5 have a large area at the top of them (ie, the pointy bit) being red. is this an issue with the valve, a nice bit of Sharpie or something else?

thanks

SD Nazgul (7) x 1
TAD 6L6GC-STR x 4
1x12 or 2x12 enclosure
12" speakers
Any spare components

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #2887
BoneAndDream

Just got my 6505 and played it extensively today, with a rectifier 4x12
power tubes are same as the above guy, ruby

it's brutal, it's aggressive, it's the tone i've wanted.
i don't even need a boost or anything to get a tone i love from it

do any of you play on the green channel with the crunch switch on? anyone use the bright switch?
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #2888
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

I used to play on the Green channel boosted but I find the red channel still has that little bit extra sizzle i'm after. Congrats

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #2889
BoneAndDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
I used to play on the Green channel boosted but I find the red channel still has that little bit extra sizzle i'm after. Congrats

thanks man, it's been almost a year in the making

here's how i look at it

the red channel is like being stabbed in the stomach with a broadsword
the crunched green is like being bludgeoned to death by a nail club

it's not as tight, but holy sh*t it sounds fuller and huger, and more open. it gives that "wall" of sound i like. i'm not even using any pedals, just me the guitar and the amp

i prefer it to the red channel

and i play pretty heavily distorted, "brutal" stuff

the black dahlia murder, in flames, cryptopsy, carcass, etc

edit: (i looked at your gear and saw you had the plus version) but, keep in mind i have the original not the +, and i think the + has a lot less gain on the rhythm so your 6505+ rhythm channel won't sound as heavy as mine with the same settings
the 6505+ is great though, my friend has one

Last edited by BoneAndDream : 02-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #2890
TheRiffGod
Somewhere up with Budda?

anybody?

SD Nazgul (7) x 1
TAD 6L6GC-STR x 4
1x12 or 2x12 enclosure
12" speakers
Any spare components

Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #2891
surjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneAndDream
do any of you play on the green channel with the crunch switch on? anyone use the bright switch?

It has two channels? Weird...

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page
surjer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #2892
BoneAndDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjer
It has two channels? Weird...

umm...

what?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #2893
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Does anyone have suggestions for tube replacement? I need to retube the preamp of my 6505+ head and I'm a little strapped for cash. I want to eventually replace all of the preamp tubes with JJ's, but at the moment I can only afford to replace 2 or 3 of them. It still has the original tubes, and the tone has gotten very harsh and fizzy. It doesn't sound good at all. Anyone have any suggestions for which preamp slots to replace first. I already replaced the effects loop spot (v3 or v5, I don't remember) with a JJ 12ax7, so I have five to go.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #2894
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
Does anyone have suggestions for tube replacement? I need to retube the preamp of my 6505+ head and I'm a little strapped for cash. I want to eventually replace all of the preamp tubes with JJ's, but at the moment I can only afford to replace 2 or 3 of them. It still has the original tubes, and the tone has gotten very harsh and fizzy. It doesn't sound good at all. Anyone have any suggestions for which preamp slots to replace first. I already replaced the effects loop spot (v3 or v5, I don't remember) with a JJ 12ax7, so I have five to go.

Replace V1 and your phase inverter (V6?). I highly recommend a JJ 5751 for V1 and/or the PI spot. Especially in V1. They are the same price as a JJ 12AX7 but the tone is cleaner/less fizzy and drops the gain a little (not a problem at all with this amp). Overall just a sweeter tone. I also run a JJ 12AT7 in the PI position. That cuts the fizz even more and really helps the cleans.

But yeah, eventually replace them all with JJs or (NOS) tubes.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #2895
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Sucks how i thought 4 of my preamp tubes went dead, so i bought a new set of JJ's just to find that they don't work either.

Turned out that there was a dry joint in one of the bridge rectifiers, causing the solder joints to melt.

I've fixed it, but it still isn't half frustrating.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #2896
cliff_em_all

I have a 6505+ head. Anyway of getting a bit of a more warm and less sterile clean tone? That doesnt involve "use chorus or reverb"

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cliff_em_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #2897
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

how about "use chorus AND reverb"?

sorry.

an eq might help slightly? whether enough to justify buying one is another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #2898
surjer

cliff - i use my BossGT-10 in the 4 cable method and the amp selector switch thats built in. By using it this way when i want dirt, i have the Boss bypass any amp sims and just using the noise gates and a tad bit of eq. When i go clean it bypasses my 6505's preamp and uses an amp sim in the pedal. Sounds great and get SUPER clean, cleans..

Here is a clip of the cleans i get with that setup.. - https://soundcloud.com/jerry-allen/...-tascam-tracked

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page
surjer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #2899
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Replace V1 and your phase inverter (V6?). I highly recommend a JJ 5751 for V1 and/or the PI spot. Especially in V1. They are the same price as a JJ 12AX7 but the tone is cleaner/less fizzy and drops the gain a little (not a problem at all with this amp). Overall just a sweeter tone. I also run a JJ 12AT7 in the PI position. That cuts the fizz even more and really helps the cleans.

But yeah, eventually replace them all with JJs or (NOS) tubes.

Is the 5751 similar to the 12at7? From what I understand they are both a little bit lower gain tubes than a 12ax7.

What I am thinking of doing is pretty much what you said, 12at7 (or 5751, I just hadn't heard of it before) in v1 to help with cleans a little bit, and 12ax7's everywhere else. How big of a difference does the 12at7 in the PI make?

I would like to improve the cleans a little bit. It's not critical though, and I certainly don't want to neuter the high gain tone just to have cleans. Throwing a 12at7 in v1 won't butcher the lead channel distortion will it? What about a 12au7? That might be too little gain I'm thinking.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #2900
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
Is the 5751 similar to the 12at7? From what I understand they are both a little bit lower gain tubes than a 12ax7.

What I am thinking of doing is pretty much what you said, 12at7 (or 5751, I just hadn't heard of it before) in v1 to help with cleans a little bit, and 12ax7's everywhere else. How big of a difference does the 12at7 in the PI make?

I would like to improve the cleans a little bit. It's not critical though, and I certainly don't want to neuter the high gain tone just to have cleans. Throwing a 12at7 in v1 won't butcher the lead channel distortion will it? What about a 12au7? That might be too little gain I'm thinking.

5751s are not much lower gain than 12ax7s. Most of the time they're pretty close, actually. But they operate differently (and I'm not an expert on how tubes work). They just sound cleaner and richer; a little more "organic" to use a cliche term if you will. I love the way mine sounds with one of those in V1.

12at7s are definitely lower gain. Where a 12ax7 is rated at 100% gain, and a 5751 is usually rated at 90%, a 12at7 is rated at around 60%. (Again, I'm not really sure where those numbers come from, but I've seen them on charts.)

Neither of those tubes will "neuter" your lead channel. If anything, it makes it sound more brutal because you can hear the notes of the chords more clearly and it sounds tighter when riffing, rather than slightly messy/too much gain. With the 5751 in V1 and a 12at7 in PI on my amp, I normally still don't turn my preamp gain above 5 -- it still has WAY more than enough gain at that level. With my active-pup guitar I set the gain on 4 (using a TS-9 as a boost as well).

I've swapped the two (12at7 in V1, 5751 in PI), and the cleans got even better, but the lead tone got slightly muddy, so I swapped them back. Not a huge difference either way, but I'm an audiophile. If I had to choose only one, I'd probably go with a 12at7 in the PI position, because it really gives you more headroom on your cleans. I also recommend playing with your guitar's volume knob for cleans. Backing it off a bit will help prevent clipping if you accidentally pick too hard. The problem with this amp's cleans is that there's just too much gain everywhere. "Cooler" pickups or rolling back the volume + lower gain tubes can make a huge difference. There's so much F@$#ing gain on the lead channel you won't "run out" no matter what, and most likely, you'll like it better with the added clarity/richness of better tubes.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 02-12-2013 at 10:05 PM.
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: