Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Cam Dude

Im thinkin of makin a guitar one day, what do I need?

During holidays I get quite bored at home. I need something constructive to do, so im thinkin one day i'll make an electric guitar. What materials do I need and approx how much will it cost?
Cam Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
ESPjohn666
RANDY LIVES!

You posted this twice. Unless you have woodworking skill, id order the body and neck from warmoth or stewmac.
ESPjohn666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
ririzarry
Guitar Builder

You may want to consider a book on guitar building. Martin Koch's "Building Electric Guitars" is good and so is Hiscock's "Make Your Own Guitar". Both will take you through the process and the tools necessary to complete a guitar build.

You can build a guitar starting with little or no woodworking background but unless you are truly committed to the process I don't recommend it. Despite my lack of woodworking skills, I actually managed quite well with my first guitar build (see my blog) but I focused on the body and purchased the neck which I considered to be one of the more difficult tasks. Now that I've developed some skill, I will look to building a neck as well.

After that, check out Project Guitar and its forum, Project Guitar Forum. The main site has a number of tutorials and with the background you'll have from the books, you'll be able to ask specific questions on the forum from a group of amateur guitar builders a number of whom are quite skilled. Don't forget to take advantage of the search function - many basic questions have been answered repeatedly.

Regards,

Rob

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making
ririzarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: