Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
caca

All Radio Head Fans *kid 17*

It has recently come to my attention that if you play two copies of Radioheads Kid A album it syncs up quite well. I was a bit sceptical thinking it was only a fluke or a few coincidinces, so I decided to try it for myself. I got a recording program and played each song 17 seconds apart from each other and the results are quite stunning. I believe it worked best with the songs Kid A and Everything in its right place which i have titled Kid 17 and Everything 17. I am not sure if this is intentional by the band or a coincidence, so you can be the judge. Take note of the vocal effect that seems to be taken on in Kid 17 around the 2 minute mark.

links to the two songs

Kid A

Everything in its right place
Old 07-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Andrewbiles

Only listened to 'everything in its right place' that you've uploaded there, and I have to say that it isn't bad like that.
How did you manage to realise this?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
caca

lol damn I thought i was going to have one of those ghost town threads. anyways yeah I read it off a obscure radiohead fansite , check out the other one it works just was well
Old 07-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
ź├Fire¤nside╗
Dancing Alone

Supposedly unintentional, and isn't really all that amazing though I've never tried it. How the hell someone figures that out in the first place is beyond me.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd

Location: Lake Crystal, Minnesota - Interesting fact: there are only 3 Galaga cabinets in the entire state :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ź├Fire¤nside╗
Supposedly unintentional, and isn't really all that amazing though I've never tried it. How the hell someone figures that out in the first place is beyond me.

Thom Yorke himself said it. I'm pretty sure it was intentional (however probably only partially)... I've never tried it but I've been wanting to.

My Youtube Channel
Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
caca

well then go ahead and listen for yourself
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #7
ź├Fire¤nside╗
Dancing Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMegadefan
Thom Yorke himself said it. I'm pretty sure it was intentional (however probably only partially)... I've never tried it but I've been wanting to.

Ah, I thought it was just a fan who realized it.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
Andrewbiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMegadefan
I'm pretty sure it was intentional (however probably only partially)...

Although the guys in Radiohead are a lot smarter than myself, I don't see how you can do that intentionally when making a record.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
punksurf30

Kid A is in my top 50 albums but this whole 17 second sync thing just don't float my boat

Old 07-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd

Location: Lake Crystal, Minnesota - Interesting fact: there are only 3 Galaga cabinets in the entire state :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbiles
Although the guys in Radiohead are a lot smarter than myself, I don't see how you can do that intentionally when making a record.

Pink Floyd did the similar thing with DSOTM and Wizard of Oz. Although you're right; how would you intentionally do that?
Chances are Yorke tried it through with a bunch of different second intervals, and found out that 17 sounded pretty good.
However, there's always that slight freakish chance that it was entirely intentional. That'd be ridiculous, though.

My Youtube Channel
Old 07-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason

Quote:

not that they're at the same level of genius, but bach wrote contrapuntal stuff that worked as well forwards as it did backwards, and a lot of other crazy stuff like that, so it's quite possible, you just have to be working on another level.

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Old 07-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
Andrewbiles

^ But writing stuff fowards and backwards is reasonably simple, you've just got to know the tonal changes and lengths of notes well. Writing a song to be compatible with itself 17 seconds later is ridiculously hard. It'd effectively mean that you'd have to write/record 17 seconds at a time for a whole album.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd

Quote:
^ But writing stuff fowards and backwards is reasonably simple, you've just got to know the tonal changes and lengths of notes well. Writing a song to be compatible with itself 17 seconds later is ridiculously hard. It'd effectively mean that you'd have to write/record 17 seconds at a time for a whole album.

And you're suggesting that Radiohead is a band that lacks the studio comprehension to handle that kind of thing? I love Radiohead, and if there's one thing that screams from their albums, it's over-overproduction.
What I'm saying is that I'm siding more towards you, that yeah, it's pretty unlikely it was made that way, but Radiohead are so brilliant that you have to at least consider that maybe it was intentional. Unreasonable in the amount of work that would take, but possible.

My Youtube Channel
Old 07-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
Andrewbiles

^ I'm not saying they couldn't and wouldn't do it (Radiohead and Tool are the only two bands I wouldn't count this kind of stuff out with), I'm just saying its very unlikely that they did it on purpose.

RateYourMusic
Old 07-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
Draken
waiting for the 6th world

Oooolllllllldddddddddd news. I knew that 5/6 years ago when the album was new and people figured it out then.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
Maet

I just synced it with my iTunes and windows media players to 'roughly' 17 seconds, and found it quite amazing. Whether or not it was intentional to me seems beyond the point. Fact of the matter is that it actually 'kind of' works.

FYI, 17 seconds during that song is about Beat 5 of the 3rd 10/4 bar.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd

Quote:
^ I'm not saying they couldn't and wouldn't do it (Radiohead and Tool are the only two bands I wouldn't count this kind of stuff out with), I'm just saying its very unlikely that they did it on purpose.

Right, and I pretty much agree with you there. We're both on the same page.

My Youtube Channel
Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
el57
sometimes... nevermind

lol wow i like Everything In Right Place like this
Old 07-04-2006, 12:43 AM   #19
sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason

Quote:

is it really that different from writing canons? i mean, song chords repeat themselves anyway, it's not like theres a random bridge that perfectly syncs up with a verse 17 seconds later.

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me

Rate This Thread: