Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #21
Remebol
Always Sleepy

yo if this does get stickyed, then i have a really good idea, this should be like a database where you can look some one up and read their history if enough responces are entered.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #22
Taco Wallace
Werewolf on Strat

Suppose I'll toss mine in here too.

I picked up a guitar for literally the first tim back in December 2003. Used to play alot of easy stuff, becasue I really had no idea what I was doing, almost started playing left handed, though I'm right handed, but I did'nt know how to hold the damn thing. I learned chording over the first year, spent hours each day breaking my hands in, memorizing chord structures. I first learned Johnny Cash tunes, and other country licks.

I got my first electric guitar, the same one I use now, a black Squire Stratocaster in June '04, but it just never fit in with me for whatever reason, so I shelved it, went back to acoustic exclusivley. It was around that time I discovered Robert Johnson, and in a nutshell that was the turning point from beginning guitar to the road I'm on now. Learning M.r Johnson was how I got ideas to structure guitar solos and a more kinder approach to blues music that could sound complex without having to be so difficult or meandering. A few months later, I played my first electric guitar solo through perfectly--Santana's Jingo.

By now, I've given up reading music completely and do everything by ear or tabs. Recently, I discovered Roy Buchanan, which just totally changed my technique and outlook on the capacity of the instument and what it can do. I've only been at it for two and a half years thus far, got a long way to go, and man....practice is the key. I've logged an average five hours a day with a guitar. As far as bands...uhh, nobody yet, mainly on the part that I frequently find myself constantly surrounded by idiots in my town whose music knowledge is as good as their manners (both are bad), but who knows....

whoo, that was fun....
Taco Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #23
Guitardude19
UG's Mad Scientist

Im 19 and have only been playing about two and a half years... But I ll tell a long story lol.

At age 5 my uncle buys his first guitar and I was in awe of the instrument. Watching him learning made me want to learn, I knew early on that I wanted to play guitar.

After two years of begging, my parents decide that I should learn an instrument- they enrolled me in a trombone class- I wasnt good at it so I gave up and begged for a guitar but was continually refused one. So, I went to my uncles place every other weekend and he showed me a few chords, some scales and a bit of theory.

A few years down the line, he leaves the country and I have no guitar, or someone to show me how to play. So I decide to scrimp and save. At 13, I begin making money by selling pirated CD's and scimming money of my drunk father. Finally I had 250! It took me a whole year! I picked the guitar I wanted, I was excited, my dream was close to coming true! But disaster struck!

I looked everywhere for my money! I was sure it was in my money box. I was certain as the sky is blue. I ask my mum if she has seen it. She sat down and braced herself. I knew what she was going to say. "Your dad took it and spent it on beer, wine and his car tax."

I stormed out of the house and didnt return for three days. I was angry. It took me a whole year to make enough money to fulfil my dream, and my dad snatched it away from me without even consulting me. I didnt let that lick me. I started again. By the time I turned 15, I had another 250 but my cat got very ill and needed an operation. I had to face a choice- I buy the guitar and let the cat be put down, or pay 250 for an operation to save its life. It didnt take me long to choose. I chose the cats life over the guitar and spent another year saving.

Finally I got a job! Within a week I had enough cash to buy me a guitar... But my dad came to my work place drunk as anything and got me fired on my second week, and forced me to hand over my wages since he needed it to "Renew his insurance." I just handed it over.

Then two after my seventeenth, my friend phones me and says "Dude, look have my acoustic until you can get an electric." I rushed round to his place and took the acoustic. It was a battered old thing with an action so high it would dwarf big ben and it was practically impossible to play any chord accurately. I was so happy, I went out and found a job, bought lots of chord books and scale books and started to learn. I saved enough to buy an electric guitar within two months. I was over the moon.

The first two months

With the battered old acoustic it was so hard to practice and I was so frustrated that I couldnt play cleanly. This gave me insentive to buy a better guitar, so I went out, got a job and bought it.

One year in

Within a year, I had learnt about 200 different chords and learnt Major and minor scales on all positions of the guitar. I didnt learn any songs, but taught myself tapping six months into playing.

The only problem I had was how much I practiced. My dad hated me learning the instrument, he hated it so much so he didnt want me to play it when he was at home. Many times, he would come into my room and say "Stop playing the guitar, it will get you no where. Its too loud I can hear it all the way downstairs." Even though the amp was off and I was playing through an unplugged guitar.

One year and three months in

Pissed off that I wasnt making progress I decided to take lessons. I had saved a few hundred quid from my job, and got had to quit because of exams and my dads paranoia that the sole reason I took a job was to "take over" his house and make him obsolete. As I started taking lessons, I was improving faster in three months than I had been in a whole year. Disaster struck when my dad went into a hissy fit about me wasting money on a "hobby that would get me no where in life." He forced me to quit lessons. I did "quit".... Well even now, two years on he still thinks I have "quit." I just go to lessons secretly, once a week every sunday. He is none the wiser and frankly, he can go jump.

One and a Half years in

I was good enough to play "lead" in some crappy band me and my friends threw together. We "gigged" once or twice a week for eight weeks solid before things went pear shaped. I had to stop lessons as money wasnt flowing so this "band" seemed a good thing to do. My dad was against it and I had to sneak out to play which really increased tension amongst the band as I was always late, sometimes so late we werent allowed to play (The drummer was majorly pissed off as you can imagine). It was a fun time drinking and getting laid, and playing drunk on stage at two out of three "gigs." Great times... Great times...

Two years in

The band broke up in the most spectacular way. I was so annoyed that I wasnt as good as I wanted to be, and pissed off that everyone else in the band were a bunch of stoners who couldnt hold a rhythm that on august 17th 2004 I decided to quit. A huge arguement erupted which resulted in me throwing a wah peddle at the bassist, missing, and hitting the drummer, who was so angry, he hit me... Which resulted in a brawl.

After that, I went back to teaching myself as I had no money for lessons, my dad was taking what money I had to fuel is alcoholism. I decided to learn as much theory as possible and decided I needed a job, but luck landed my way when my granddad gave me 1000 cash for uni. I set aside 250 for lessons and saved the rest. (My dad took the remaining 750 to repair his car and refuses to pay me back to this day).

From that day, all I have done is practice as much as I can. Now that I am on my summer holidays before uni starts, I have been putting in between 10 - 14 hours a day of practice (of which 3 hours is theory).

I start off with learning the fret board and visulising the notes on each strings. The I practice scales for two hours, increasing the speed on my metronone from 132 bpm to 152 bpm doing sixteenth notes. Then I do some sweep practice, learn chords, theory, tapping, revising techniques like hammers, bends etc and then I will learn a song note for note and maybe transcribe a few riffs/solos I like the sound of.

During the two and a half years I have been playing I have been majorly influeneced by my uncle, who made me first fall in love with guitar. He influenced me in the way of blues guitar, introduced me to Hendrix, Guns n Roses and Bon Jovi.

Currently, my heavist influence is Malmsteen, thanks to my guitar teacher.

If I was to give any advice it would be this:

"No matter what happens in your life, no matter what goals you want to achieve- You will only achieve them if you strive for it and ignore the crap around you and just go for it."

I dont listen to negative influences, I dont listen to people who say I wont make something of my life with guitar because I know deep down, I will become someone with it. I may not become famous, I may become a teacher, but atleast I will have fun trying to get somewhere.

Thanks for reading, hope I didnt bore anyone.

Christianity: Virgin Birth, Water into wine; Its like Harry Potter but it causes genocide and bad folk music.

Sat in a lab, curing diseases.
Guitardude19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #24
yawn
Be back later.

^ That's a beautiful story =) *tear*

I read the whole thing and I'm just inspired

Last edited by yawn : 07-15-2006 at 11:15 AM.
yawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #25
FutureFame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb0216
My mom says I was picking out tunes on the piano at around four or five. I took piano lessons for several years. My parents gave me a cheap acoustic guitar for Christmas in 1963 and I was off and running. Back then we had vinyl records and cheap turntables that spun at 33 1/3 and 16. My best buddy H.P. and I would listen to the Beatles at 16 rpm until we figured out what they were doing. I'm sure my mother thought we were ******ed for listening to those records at half speed for hours on end. We learned the songs, though, and that's what mattered.

H.P. and I put together our first band when we were about 13, I guess. We were hot! I played an old Gibson Melody Maker and a Farfisa mini-compact organ through a Vox amp with one blown speaker. H.P. played bass, Darryl played rhythm guitar, and the little squirt across the street turned out to be a really good drummer.

One freebie gig after another turned into some paying gigs at just about the time we were old enough to drive, which was a good thing because my mom was sick of being the band taxi.

We stayed together through high school. After graduation I played in bar bands while at the University of Georgia in Athens and all over Atlanta.

When my long-time girlfriend dumped me in 1975 I joined the Navy as an electronics technician. I saw an ad in the base newspaper saying the Navy music program was looking for guitarists. I auditioned, was accepted and graduated from the Armed Forces School of Music as the top musician in my class in August, 1976.

The Navy sent me to the fleet where I played lead guitar with the Atlantic Fleet Rock Band. We toured all over the eastern U.S., the Caribbean and Europe. I mustered out at the end of my enlistment in 1980.

After the Navy I went to college on the G.I. Bill, pursuing a degree in piano performance.

Now, at 53, I teach guitar and piano privately in Madison, a suburb of Huntsville, Alabama. If you're ever in or near Huntsville look me up (G. Patrick Bryant) and we'll have a beer and play some guitar.

Thanks for reading a geezer's story.

All the best,
gpb

p.s. - here's my guitar. I play through a Marshall DSL 401 driving an ancient (I mean really old) Fender cab. It sounds good to me.

Great story, man.
Squire 22 W Amp.
Line 6 Spider II 112 75 W
FutureFame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #26
axe_grinder247
UG's Shredder in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb0216
My mom says I was picking out tunes on the piano at around four or five. I took piano lessons for several years. My parents gave me a cheap acoustic guitar for Christmas in 1963 and I was off and running. Back then we had vinyl records and cheap turntables that spun at 33 1/3 and 16. My best buddy H.P. and I would listen to the Beatles at 16 rpm until we figured out what they were doing. I'm sure my mother thought we were ******ed for listening to those records at half speed for hours on end. We learned the songs, though, and that's what mattered.

H.P. and I put together our first band when we were about 13, I guess. We were hot! I played an old Gibson Melody Maker and a Farfisa mini-compact organ through a Vox amp with one blown speaker. H.P. played bass, Darryl played rhythm guitar, and the little squirt across the street turned out to be a really good drummer.

One freebie gig after another turned into some paying gigs at just about the time we were old enough to drive, which was a good thing because my mom was sick of being the band taxi.

We stayed together through high school. After graduation I played in bar bands while at the University of Georgia in Athens and all over Atlanta.

When my long-time girlfriend dumped me in 1975 I joined the Navy as an electronics technician. I saw an ad in the base newspaper saying the Navy music program was looking for guitarists. I auditioned, was accepted and graduated from the Armed Forces School of Music as the top musician in my class in August, 1976.

The Navy sent me to the fleet where I played lead guitar with the Atlantic Fleet Rock Band. We toured all over the eastern U.S., the Caribbean and Europe. I mustered out at the end of my enlistment in 1980.

After the Navy I went to college on the G.I. Bill, pursuing a degree in piano performance.

Now, at 53, I teach guitar and piano privately in Madison, a suburb of Huntsville, Alabama. If you're ever in or near Huntsville look me up (G. Patrick Bryant) and we'll have a beer and play some guitar.

Thanks for reading a geezer's story.

All the best,
gpb

p.s. - here's my guitar. I play through a Marshall DSL 401 driving an ancient (I mean really old) Fender cab. It sounds good to me.

this story never ceases to inspire and amaze me, and your lesson site is the best i've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
axe_grinder247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:59 AM   #27
Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω

im about 7 years old. me and a friend of mine are obsessed with acting out stupid stuff in front of a camera for our entertainment. we decide to drag out my dad's acoustic guitars and play absolutely nothing, just strumming crap. but it gets me to thinking i might want to actually know how to play something. my dad jumps on the idea.

my dad buys me a little classical guitar a year later. after a long time of strumming the same old open chords that i know, i still know nothing more than the riff to smoke on the water.

christmas rolls around, and my dad decides to get me a yamaha electric guitar. im excited, but when he asks me to play something, all i know is smoke on the water.
i play afew stupid songs that i only know the progressions to for afew years. my friend cody then calls me up to go see school of rock at the theatre. i agree, and as we are walking out of the theatre after the movie, i say these words.."dude, im totally going to learn to play guitar again" i go home, RElearn all the open chords, my dad shows me the e and a bar chords, and i work on them, but cannot move up the neck really fast with the e bar chord, and cant even get the a one to not buzz. my dad says we should get me some lessons, so i will be able to play lead guitar.

for the next year or so, guess what. even with all my new found motivation, i still can only play smoke on the water. i continue to complain to my dad that im not learning anything because i havent gotten lessons, and that all the bands i want to play songs of are way too good for me.

later, im about 14, my dad FINALLY decides to look for lessons. he goes and talks to two different people in town. one guy, a good musician, has a bad lesson plan, according to my dad. my dad decides to go with the other guy, and who i think today is the better choice, his old friend who helped us build our house, Jim. Jim owns a guitar shop downtown. hes really cool, hes got the rocker hair and everything, and he likes to tell really bad jokes to lighten the mood of things. some of them are good, but i only like stupid humor, so i never laugh, but i always smile at his attempts to entertain me.

i take lessons for about a year and then i stumble across this site. man. combined with my lessons, this site is a massive explosion of learning energy. my guitar playing has probably increased 2 fold, no, 3, no. 4! 4 fold! in the last few months.

now fifteen, this friend of mine Drew invites me over to his house with some other guys, and i play around with his guitars. we discuss going over to this other guys house and recording, but seeing as me and Drew arent like tight friends, he never kept me informed, and i didnt go. later on the bus that year, he asks me if i wanna come over to his friend's house to jam, maybe record something, and i say sure, but once again it falls apart. to this day, i hope to get something together, seeing as i am at a loss for musicians to play with. i sit alone, every day, playing my guitar, learning, in total solitude. i still cant play the songs of the band that enspired me to play guitar, but since i started, ive had many more bands that i like, and im able to play their songs. i doubt ill ever get a band together, ill just sit alone each night, playing by myself.

and if you listen really quietly at night, you just might hear the picking of my guitar. because thats all i do now. play guitar. can you hear the song? yes. here it is now. listen. shh.

Code:
||-7-----7-----7-----|-7-----5-----3-----|-3-----2-----0-----| ||---0-----0-----0---|---0-----0-----0---|---0-----0-----0---| ||-----0-----0-----0-|-----0-----0-----0-|-----0-----0-----0-| ||-------------------|-------------------|-------------------| ||-------------------|-------------------|-------------------| ||-0-----------------|-0-----------------|-0-----------------| |-0-----3-----7-----|-12----12----12----|-12----10----8-----| |---0-----0-----0---|---0-----0-----0---|---0-----0-----0---| |-----0-----0-----0-|-----0-----0-----0-|-----0-----0-----0-| |-------------------|-------------------|-------------------| |-------------------|-------------------|-------------------| |-0-----------------|-0-----------------|-0-----------------| |-8-----7-----5-----|-5-----7-----8-----|-7-----8-----7-----| |---5-----5-----5---|---5-----5-----5---|---7-----7-----8---| |-----5-----5-----5-|-----5-----5-----5-|-----8-----8-----7-| |-------------------|-------------------|-------------------| |-0-----------------|-0-----------------|-------------------| |-------------------|-------------------|-7-----------------| |-11----8-----7-----|-7-----5-----3-----|-3-----2-----0-----| |---7-----7-----7---|---0-----0-----0---|---0-----0-----0---| |-----7-----7-----7-|-----0-----0-----0-|-----0-----0-----0-| |-------------------|-------------------|-------------------| |-------------------|-------------------|-------------------| |-7-----------------|-0-----------------|-0-----------------| |-2-----2-----2-----|-2-----3-----2-----|-0-----0-----0-----|-0--------------| |---1-----1-----1---|---0-----0-----0---|---0-----0-----0---|-0--------------| |-----2-----2-----2-|-----2-----2-----2-|-----0-----0-----0-|-0--------------| |-------------------|-------------------|-2-----------------|----------------| |-0-----------------|-2-----------------|-------2-----------|----------------| |-------------------|-------------------|-------------3-----|-0--------------|
Glen'sHeroicAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #28
AtrumArx

Well, pretty much here it goes:

I started playing guitar when I was in 5th grade. I played a cheap Washburn for a few months and took some lessons, but it just didn't work out. So I pretty much quit guitar for about another 6 months. Then I decided to give the bass guitar a go. I played bass for about 3 years and I still play it to this day, but now I currently play guitar and I've been told that it seems like I've been playing longer than I actually have. I play for hours every day and have progressed really good so far and I hope to get into music as a career type thing. I'm 15 now, going on 16 and I'm starting a project with a friend of mine that we will do just to get the hang of things like being in a real band and what not.
AtrumArx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 AM   #29
Taco Wallace
Werewolf on Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardude19
Im 19 and have only been playing about two and a half years... But I ll tell a long story lol.

At age 5 my uncle buys his first guitar and I was in awe of the instrument. Watching him learning made me want to learn, I knew early on that I wanted to play guitar.

After two years of begging, my parents decide that I should learn an instrument- they enrolled me in a trombone class- I wasnt good at it so I gave up and begged for a guitar but was continually refused one. So, I went to my uncles place every other weekend and he showed me a few chords, some scales and a bit of theory.

A few years down the line, he leaves the country and I have no guitar, or someone to show me how to play. So I decide to scrimp and save. At 13, I begin making money by selling pirated CD's and scimming money of my drunk father. Finally I had 250! It took me a whole year! I picked the guitar I wanted, I was excited, my dream was close to coming true! But disaster struck!.......

......Thanks for reading, hope I didnt bore anyone.

Oh man, that was sad!!! Dude, you got all my condolences, that was hard. Man, I don't think you bored anyone, dang near made my mom cry!
Taco Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:24 AM   #30
Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω

yes, that was quite the story... it would make a great beginning to the biography of a famous musician.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #31
Bodomizer

crap! i just wrote a huuuuge biography and when i went to post it, it said that i wasn't logged in! and it deleted it. Ok, i'll put a much shorter one now.

Got guitar when i was 12, didn't play much, but learned the basics.

October 05
Got into Metal, got lessons, fell in love with music, play 3-4 hours a night.

Now I just turned 15 and just bought my new guitar. Ibanez RG1570. I love it and I'll never quit playing.

That was very vague, but i'm really pissed. lol
Bodomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:38 AM   #32
systofadwnskat7
soad bassist

well i play bass but close enough

year 1 - i started really getting into music when i was around 14 and i watched my friend play guitar and my uncle play professionally. i picked up a guitar whenever there was one there learned the easiest stuff ever like smoke on the water and 7 nation army.
year 2 - i was listening to really heavy stuff and loved really low sounds. like stuff tht would blow out speakers like mega fast. i liked guitar and drums but wanted to play bass for so long. i read tabs and music as much as possible but never had the money for a bass. id play bass parts on guitars and bass beats on drums.
year 3 - on my 16th birthday i finally. FINALLY!! got a bass and havent stopped playing it since. i kept learning scales and music notation and chords (even though u dont really se them on bass) and learned fun stuff and hard stuff. and i love playing still.
systofadwnskat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #33
Remebol
Always Sleepy

these storys are great. I never had the difficulty in getting the money for my first guitar since i was so excited about joining my friends band which evidently didnt exist, and i had no hobbys other then just play vidoe games all day, my mom thought it would be a great idea to get me involved in something other then the computer.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:03 AM   #34
Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω

this thread should definately be stickied... its a great thread. i can see tons of people coming here. its almost like a totally cooler version of the beginner say hi to everyone thread. except its intertaining to read. im looking at you, redwing, and other mods! take credit for stickying this site while you can!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:18 AM   #35
ace man

OK, here's mine:

started hammering on the piano before I could walk, I started taking proper lessons when i was 4. age 14 got into drums, joined a highschool band and won the 2002 battle of the bands (mainly due to my kick ass drum solos) and at age 15 i bought a guitar and started playing that. age 16 wrote my first song, 'gonna get rockin' tonight' on piano, with the inspiration being a party i went to where everyone got drunk, including the band, and started goin' for it on the floor. age 17 i picked up a bass for the first time and started playing in a pub band. I currently write songs and play in a semi-serious Uni band called the meteors with me on rhythm guitar or drums (depending on whether the drummer turns up). Now 18 and continuing to kick the asses of every other musician i encounter.

Anti-thayer
ace man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #36
sandwich_man
UG's raver

Got an uncle who lives up in London. One of my earliest memories is when I was about two, we're all sitting round his big dining table and he's playing some Beatles stuff and we're all singing along, including me who could hardly talk and obviously didn't know the words... but enjoying myself nevertheless.

Fast forward - I was about five and my dad is really into Eric Clapton. We stay up really late in the night listening to his Unpugged album, and I don't know what this type of music it is that I'm hearing, but I do know that it's much deper and better than any of the crappy mid-nineties boy bands that were so popular then.

When I was about eleven, I was staying in my uncle's place up in London again, and got really curious about his acoustic guitar. I asked if he'd tell me more about it, and he wrote down some chord diagrams and I practiced like hell for the rest of the time I stayed there. By the time I had to go back up to Liverpool, my left fingertips were raw as hell, but I knew some chords! Great. Had to go home to a guitar-free area though, but half a year later my parents got me a Fender acoustic guitar which I still regularly play and love to this day. Learned my first song... Yellow Submarine! I was dead chuffed. Learned my first riff too, Day Tripper, also by the Beatles. Continued learning, got quite good. Mwahaha.

Sumer of 2004, my great dad took me down to the guitar shop once again and out of the blue, got me my first electric guitar, a Squier Strat. I don't care what anybody says, Squiers are GOOD learning guitars! Got to learning some bluesy stuff, like Peter Green. by that time I also had a go at tackling that great album from when I was five, Eric Clapton Unplugged. With the help of this f*cking great site (www.12bar.de), I learned EVERY SONG on that album. Pretty damn proud of myself too.

Cut forward to last October, I got a secondhand Marshall Blues Overdrive pedal for my Squier, and now my rig sounds f*cking boss. Now I'm jamming along to the likes of Cream, SRV, Eric, Jimi Hendrix... etc. Joined a band last January but that fell apart because I was too technically proficient. In other words, I was too good, but we're getting together again. We're called the Magic Peas, and we blend numerous styles - reggae, 70's punk, classic rock, blues rock, rhythm and blues, hip-hop, traditional Guyanan folk - to create a sound that is not only bizarre, it's f*cking bizarre.

Well that's it, sorry I couldn't give a heart-warming tale of how I was brought up in the forests of Siberia by wolves who taught me how to play the balalaika until I was good enough to play in a local band of pirates who were constantly at war with vicious hungry hungry hippos, then I was kidnapped by said hungry hungry hippos and taken to a secret undersea cave in the plains of Idaho where I was held hostage for forty days and forty nights and forced to entertain my captors with renditions of "Message In A Bottle" by Sting and the Police played on the balalaika, until I was heard by a passing gang of rich Texans who hired me as the next biggest thing and forced me to work nights in jazz clubs for six shillings and tuppence a night where I eventually got recognised and granted airplay on the regional radio station where I went down a storm and got a record deal with Epic and became an overnight millionaire and used the money to buy huge amounts of Cillit Bang and airlift it over to Africa in order to rid the Third World of dirty pennies.

I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Brannigan
Pie is like bread, but just with more pie in it
sandwich_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #37
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk

I never played as a kid. Never took an interest in music beyond what was playing at home (usually Van Morrison, motown oldies, etc...), or what was on MuchMusic. I was like that right through to the end of grade 12. I graudated in 2001, so at the time, I was into blink-182 and eminem predominantly.

Then on my second day of University (9/11/2001), the world went crazy. The twin towers fell before I even got to school that day, and nobody went to class. I made my way over to the Residence buildings, and chilled with a friend I knew in high school. His roomate was also from my high school, but I regarded him as a major dweeb. However, they had this old Fender Strat (a mexican one, I now know) in their room, and the dweeby kid picked it up.

He started busting out Thunderstruck, Purple Haze and Crazy Train. My jaw dropped and a little light went on in my head. If this kid can do it, I can do it. I got home that day and grabbed one of the three acoustic guitars that my dad owned, and started learning riffs. I believe my first riff was 'Dammit' by blink-182.

I fiddled around intermittently until Christmas, when my folks got me my first electric guitar and amp: a Peavy Raptor with a Rage158 amp. The amp would have served better as a boat anchor, and the guitar as a paddle. But they got me started. By the end of my first year of university, I had discovered Led Zeppelin, and the joys of melodic expression, and was finally on my way to developing my own style. In July of that year, I bought a Tom Delonge strat and a Roland Cube 30 amp, and started a band with my brother (on bass) and our friend Jimmy on drums. We jammed Chili Peppers and Audioslave songs, and tried writing our own stuff.

Naturally, we weren't the greatest band at first, but we always had character. Over the next year two years, we evolved big time, both as a band and as musicians. After two band names (we settled with Duke Irrational), three singers, and four rehersal spaces, I finally had a good band in which I could start rapidly improving my style and technique. In this time, I also discovered Ultimate-Guitar.com, started hanging out with seriously good musicians, began experimenting with altered tunings, and was also smoking pot regularly, which (for me anyways) changed the way I thought about a lot of things in music, and definitely was an influence on my development as a guitarist.

So now, at four and a half years, here's my situation:

I play in a really cool and diverse band, with whom I have built a private studio / rehearsal room, in which we are currently recording a full length album. I am also contributing guitar tracks to a local singer-songwriter lady's new album. I practice about three or four hours a day (and have ever since I started) and I regularly surprise people with my abilities. My style has been described as very expressive, fluid, and rhythmically interesting. In terms of genre, you'd call it rock, but I embrace things like funk, folk, metal, hard rock, progressive rock, etc... We describe our band as Led Zeppelin + Red Hot Chili Peppers + Stone Temple Pilots = Duke Irrational.

I play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, upgraded with gold-plated Gibson '57 humbuckers, through a Marshall DSL50 head and a 2X12 marshall cab. I also have an Epiphone G-400 (SG) that i keep in open G tuning, and I finally obtained that old strat that inspired me to start playing. I've got a Jimi Hendrix wah, a BOSS chorus pedal and a Line6 Echo Pedal (it kicks ass, btw) At home, I play a Vox Brian May special amp. .09 guage strings on the Paul, .10's on the SG. Dunlop tortex 1.00mm or Gator Grip 1.14mm.

That's about the size of it.

Last edited by frigginjerk : 07-16-2006 at 12:35 PM.
frigginjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:55 PM   #38
Remebol
Always Sleepy

yo these are some hot storys. Its interesting as hell to learn how different people picked up guitar and learned.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #39
yawn
Be back later.

^ Indeed.
yawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #40
mikeman

I started learning on a god-knows-how old acoustic 3 years ago, and knowing nothing about how to play, and no one to teach me, I bought a book.

My mom got me into zeppelin and classic rock stuff, a typical hippie.

Got a fender starter pack in 7th grade, and joined the jazz band.

Started progressing like a mad man, and had my first encounter with music theory.

Went nuts with music theory, and had a basic understanding of it by the end of 7th grade.

Also in 7th grade, I got into Vai. He was the first real dude of his genre I got into. Then I had the oportunity of a lifetime. A vai concert. About a year and a half ago, I went to see Vai, and his extreme virtuosity made me rethink playing the guitar. I had to play guitar for the rest of my life.

In 8th grade, I continued in the school Jazz band, did many concerts, went to Monterey CA, and did 3 solos in front of 2000 people at Disneyland, my biggest gig to date.

Got a new electric, a shecter c-1 classic, as well as various gear.

Got into way more guitarists and a few months ago, went to a satch concert. Motivation improved seeing Eric Johnson bust out cliffs of dover 10 feet away from me. I was truly inspired.

My playing continues to improve, and probably my greatest accomplishment is after 3 years, never quitting. I'm going to play forever.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: